• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
At this point I'd think most characters are done right? Maybe some last second polishing but I'd imagine this last stretch of development is polishing and maybe last second echoes.
Honestly, if all the 'Echo' clones we've seen thus far fit the same bill as 'last minute dessert', than doubt there's any more time for more. Sakurai may make them seem like they don't take much effort to make, but in reality, I'm sure they take a good chuck of time to develop. Just not as much as an actually unique character.

From here on out, it's likely polish and balancing. Maybe DLC plans as well.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
They make up movesets for characters all the time.
Also they've got Hyrule Warriors to work off of as well. He does a ton of things in that game.
He'd be pretty easy to make a moveset for.
Either way! I do just hope we get a Zelda newcomer who's name isn't Link/Zelda Or is an Overpowered Captain Falcon wannabe!

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You're saying they've spent the last year just polishing?
With how we're most likely getting a full singleplayer mode?
And online features, and 900+ music tracks, and stages (with 2 different variations minimum), and bosses, and perhaps even Mii costumes, alongside the countless other modes in this game such as All-Star?
(You know I don't mean to be rude with this! Just a run-on sentence my bad.)

Yeah I am honestly saying that.

Shroob

Sup?
People always forget that it's heavily implied in Twilight Princess that the Skull Kid you encounter there is the same one as the Mask sidequest in OoT and in Majora's.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just accept a "okay, yeah I messed up" for what it is, guys.

Sheesh.

To keep it Smash related, what differences could Isabelle have from Villager?

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
They make up movesets for characters all the time.
Also they've got Hyrule Warriors to work off of as well. He does a ton of things in that game.
He'd be pretty easy to make a moveset for.
Oh right. I didn't think about the Hyrule Warriors part

I think you forgot :ultrosalina:
Right, she's not originally a fighter either, is she?

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Either way! I do just hope we get a Zelda newcomer who's name isn't Link Or is an Overpowered Captain Falcon wannabe!
It really does feel like we haven't gotten a Zelda newcomer since Melee.
Toon Link felt more like a replacement for Young Link seeing as they just swapped him out in Brawl.
The series is long overdo for a new character and I think Skull Kid or Tingle would fit best.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Don't they always put Call of Duty on Nintendo consoles though, like on Wii and Wii U? This doesn't really seem all that surprising to me
COD 4, World at War, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 were all on the Wii and were inferior in just about every single way.

Black Ops 2 and Ghosts were on the Wii U, and while they were okay, neither received DLC, except for that one time Black Ops 2 got Nuketown 2025 super late.

If anything Black Ops 4 related is on the Switch, due to the sheer size of the game between Multiplayer, Zombies and Blackout, it will either be standalone Blackout (with worse graphics and probably more) like the article suggests, or it will be something else entirely- probably a port or two, and hopefully ports that aren't trash either.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I don't know Golden Sun well but Isaac has like...earth abilities or something right? Is that why some feel they'd change the reveal considering what happened?
Isaac's innate Pysnergy (basically magic) is of the Venus element; plants, and earth and stuff like. Despite being able to change classes to use different elements, Earth is what he's most associated with. Well, besides the big ass hands he can conjure.

But I don't really think anything would really change based on the earthquake. It would be respectful, but I imagine most people really wouldn't care either way if Isaac was revealed after the earthquake. It would be respectful to change around the reveal order, yes, but I don't think there will be some kind of mass uproar if Isaac is revealed.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So much edgelords and it's easy to point out who falls under that category.

Anyways, give me Skull Kid so Loz can be saved from humiliation.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ZeldaPlayer87 ZeldaPlayer87 made a joke regarding the missing people from the earthquake and then got mad for being called out.
You mean he made the joke, people got upset, he admitted he was wrong, and then we got into a fight for the last several pages.

Look, the joke was in bad taste, but this is just calling someone out for no reason. Let's move on guys.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Honestly, if all the 'Echo' clones we've seen thus far fit the same bill as 'last minute dessert', than doubt there's any more time for more. Sakurai may make them seem like they don't take much effort to make, but in reality, I'm sure they take a good chuck of time to develop. Just not as much as an actually unique character.

From here on out, it's likely polish and balancing. Maybe DLC plans as well.
I'd say now it's definitely polish and balancing, I just don't think everyone was fully implemented in a passable condition say a year ago. What do I know though, I have no idea what game development is like.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Just accept a "okay, yeah I messed up" for what it is, guys.

Sheesh.

To keep it Smash related, what differences could Isabelle have from Villager?
He didn't apologise.

IMO Isabelle wouldn't be a great addition. I can't really see her as an echo or a unique... I think Villager represents AC perfectly.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So guys, while we've yet to see the full roster, let's play a game.

Assuming that we get the full roster (just pretend it's Nov/Dec atm), why not name 5 characters you think would be hype worthy for DLC? I'll start

1. Skull Kid
2. Banjo
3. Rex and Pyra
4. Isaac
5. Crash Bandicoot

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Your opinion doesn't change anything. Businesses look bad when they go back on promises, no matter what the reason. I'm sure Nintendo knows this.
I am a customer, one of these people far off from Japan that you’re talking about. So are most of the people offering their condolences across the planet. My opinion matters because I’m part of their revenue, however small. Same for millions. The info will come out. It isn’t their fault that people can’t wait for a little bit to get some information that won’t change a thing come release time. All promised content will be revealed. If this will keep you from buying a game you love, then cool. That’s weird, because it will give you all the info you wanted to know about, but you do you.

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
At this point I'd think most characters are done right? Maybe some last second polishing but I'd imagine this last stretch of development is polishing and maybe last second echoes.
The roster would have been done before E3. This time would be devoted to refinement and playtesting.

Chrono.

I think someone here had the idea of Magikarp as a Pokeball Pokemon.

It'd Splash around like Goldeen but instead it actually has a hurtbox and if it gets damaged enough it evolves into Gyarados and ****s your **** up.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The roster would have been done before E3. This time would be devoted to refinement and playtesting.
I mean I'd assume they'd have most everyone in the game in a workable condition, but when I say "done" I don't mean having them in the game. Perhaps I should have worded that better.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Honestly, this null of information of when Nintendo will reschedule the Direct pains me...

I hate it when we don’t even know when the direct will show up again, and that feeling when we’re so close, yet so far.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
@coonmonger on Twitter is supposedly tweeting leaks pertaining to the direct. Could be fake but at least it's something.
Any "leaks" claiming a Xenoblade 2 and/or Arms character is in the base game I automatically know is fake at this point, and I assume the "leaker" has no idea what a project plan is (or for those thinking Sakurai reserved a slot for them back in 2015, have never actually read up all the information surrounding Greninja's inclusion in 4).

To be fair, a lot people don't even remember Zelda or recognize her as anything unless they confuse her with Link.

Ganon is an iconic villain, however, which garners more importance than a character who plays second-fiddle to a character the games aren't even supposed to be about. She's an important character, but to have Link without Ganon in a game that's supposed tp represent the series? That doesn't sit right by me. It's just like having Luigi and Jigglypuff in 64, when there were characters vastly more important to implement, but they only got in because they were easy to make.

Granted, that doesn't help Ganon since he's a clone, but still. There's a reason she and Ganon came together just like Peach and Bowser did too: Both are essential.
I agree with your overall point about prioritizing Ganondorf/Ganon over Zelda if it had to happen, but a reminder that Ganondorf only happened in Melee because he could be cloned off of Falcon; Ganondorf wasn't originally planned and Sakurai was going with Zelda/Sheik over him despite Ganondorf beating all the other Zelda characters combined in the Smash 2 poll.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Back when I first played Melee, I actually thought that if I got Goldeen into some kind of water, it would do something useful. But nope, just a de-spawn for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So guys, while we've yet to see the full roster, let's play a game.

Assuming that we get the full roster (just pretend it's Nov/Dec atm), why not name 5 characters you think would be hype worthy for DLC? I'll start

1. Skull Kid
2. Banjo
3. Rex and Pyra
4. Isaac
5. Crash Bandicoot
1. Rex & Pyra
2. ARMS character (any of Sakurai’s choice, would personally prefer Twintelle but I expect Springman or Ribbon Girl)
3. Octoling (inkling echo)
4. Shantae (if not on base roster), if she is base then either Neku or Dante
5. Dixie (if not on base roster), if she is then maybe Rayman or Crash

I’m assuming Shadow, Isaac, Skull Kid, BWD, Elma, and Black Shadow are all base roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom