• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
X was not that well received in Japan, while Xenoblade 2 got promoted on the same level as Fire Emblem Awakening.

While i'm expecting Rex & Pyra as DLC, I would not be surprised they would be a greninja situation and the only exception of a character that got added from the Switch era at base, because unlike Arms, XB2 was in development since 2014 and promoted as a heavy hitter for the Switch's first year alongside BOTW, Oddyssey & Splatoon 2

Xenoblade 2 already has Sakurai bias to, because he played and praised the game, before we even knew Sakurai was working on this Smash, so I feel they are already near guaranteed for DLC
Rex and Pyra's concept art wasn't finalized until later in 2016. It can't be another Greninja situation.

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
Ridley and K Rool were the 2 HEAVIEST requested characters at one point in Smash 4, to my knowledge. They were easy guesses

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I don't wanna talk about that leaker in the Twitter from a while ago, but seems like he hasn't posted anything yet.. he was all bark, but no bite.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ridley and K Rool were the 2 HEAVIEST requested characters at one point in Smash 4, to my knowledge. They were easy guesses
And you know what happened in Smash 4?
They never got in.

Ridley was on the downturn for Smash 5 speculation because many felt he was finally out with the boss confirmation.
K. Rool always hovered around but that's what he does.

Ridley is obvious in hindsight. But definitely not anytime before June or perhaps very late May.

D

Deleted member

X was not that well received in Japan, while Xenoblade 2 got promoted on the same level as Fire Emblem Awakening.

While i'm expecting Rex & Pyra as DLC, I would not be surprised they would be a greninja situation and the only exception of a character that got added from the Switch era at base, because unlike Arms, XB2 was in development since 2014 and promoted as a heavy hitter for the Switch's first year alongside BOTW, Oddyssey & Splatoon 2

Xenoblade 2 already has Sakurai bias to, because he played and praised the game, before we even knew Sakurai was working on this Smash, so I feel they are already near guaranteed for DLC
My concern really is how people are gonna react if they're DLC, even if they're like, the first ones, too. DLC for Smash 4, character-wise, was SO good.
Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy all came back, while we got Corrin, Ryu from Street Fighter, Bayonetta and CLOUD from FINAL FANTASY VII.

That's a star-studded lineup, if you ask me. There's already enough people that expect Rex & Pyra to be in the base roster, so imagine them getting revealed and you have to pay $7.99 for them, a stage, music and more as DLC? People have high expectations for DLC in Smash, and Rex & Pyra just don't fit that, if you ask me.

I tell you, man, Xenoblade has to be the worst franchise in terms of what franchise gets new content lmao

That's just not true. ResetEra paid a lot of attention to his claims, especially as it lined up with what their moderators had been hinting previously, and the entire Ridley thread on this board were putting all of our hopes into E3. Like, you can just go back to the E3 pages of that thread, it was a do or die moment for us.

Vergeben was already known as a fighting game leaker prior to any of his Smash leaks, even if his record was somewhat iffy, so he did turn some heads.
OK that's fair but you're arguing literally every other leaker MUST have been influenced by Verg. Keep in mind Verg never said K ROOL would make it in so if Lady Bow did ride off of Verg why did she go out her way to leak a character he wasn't sure about?

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
They never got in.

Ridley was on the downturn for Smash 5 speculation because many felt he was finally out with the boss confirmation.

Ridley is obvious in hindsight. But definitely not anytime before June or perhaps very late May.
I mean, with Inkling, people must’ve suspected SOMETHING.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
OK that's fair but you're arguing literally every other leaker MUST have been influenced by Verg. Keep in mind Verg never said K ROOL would make it in so if Lady Bow did ride off of Verg why did she go out her way to leak a character he wasn't sure about?
K. Rool was an easy guess. Most of us expected him to be announced

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know, I'm not even offended or upset because my username has raccoon in it.

EDIT: I am upset because this blatant racism has yet to be taken down.
Just the mess part of life (the same kind of bull**** that got James Gunn fired from Marvel even though the ***** who snitched on him was way past worse)

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
We did not know Ridley would be in and I do not know why people keep saying this.
100% this. Verge said Ridley was in, but nobody KNEW Ridley was in. In fact, I remember LOTS of posts all over the internet on how Ridley was going to destroy Verge before he even got started. We look back and say Ridley makes sense now, but back in April and early May he would get you laughed off of whatever forum you were posting on. Only when more people starting believing Verge's rumors did people start to wonder if it could be true.

I myself happened to be sweating bullets the night before the direct...

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Didn’t X do better in the West though? I think Sakurai takes worldwide appeal into account (which is also why he didn’t make Takamaru playable — very few people outside of Japan are familiar with him)
X released in the West during the same month that Smash Ultimate's initial project plan was finalized so Western popularity wouldn't be a factor for Elma unless the roster itself was only finalized a few months later.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Guess =/= Chance. Completely different concepts. And I wouldn't say they were even easy guesses after years of Sakurai straight up giving a very concrete reason for their impossibility, when it comes to Ridley at least.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Gotta ask, this your new most wanted over Shantae? This isn't the IGuess I know.
You see, i classify my most wanteds into these sections: Realistic picks, NEVER EVER picks, and wet dream picks.
Geno is my most wanted realistic pick for Smash
Shantae is my NEVER EVER pick
and Batman is my wet dream choice

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
They never got in.

The revisionist history with Ridley is insane. Especially after Sakurai's last comments on Ridley being playable. Sure, he said things like that with Villager, but this was far more recent and he was pretty explicit in why he felt Ridley couldn't be a fighter. The most we Ridley fans could hope for was for Sakurai to change his mind and find a way to make him work.

So no. Ridley was never obvious. We Ridley fans were hoping and praying Sakurai would change his mind, but we couldn't be sure.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My point is more so about whether Lady Bow is even taking the guise of a leaker at all. I saw the thread back then, but it really just came off to me as a hype generating thread based on the word on the street, and not an actual leaker putting information out there. Like, the threads were literally about turning peoples' avatars into Ridley/K. Rool themed ones, mixed with some cocky humor.

Ridley and K. Rool were by no means easy guesses, I agree with that, even after the Vergeben leak Ridley was at best 50/50, but my question is more about whether Lady Bow has ever actually claimed to have inside information, or whether people are just horribly misunderstanding her threads (which could just have been timed very well and been based on the most popular characters at their time).

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
The revisionist history with Ridley is insane. Especially after Sakurai's last comments on Ridley being playable. Sure, he said things like that with Villager, but this was far more recent and he was pretty explicit in why he felt Ridley couldn't be a fighter. The most we Ridley fans could hope for was for Sakurai to change his mind and find a way to make him work.

So no. Ridley was never obvious. We Ridley fans were hoping and praying Sakurai would change his mind, but we couldn't be sure.
Ah, I see another Ridley fan who remembers those dark days.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
When a character gets revealed, they always become easy guess.

I think we can have faves and obvious choices, but they never are easy guess until they get revealed.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm excited for Skull Kid, but at the same time, I've kind of grown apathetic to him like I have Ridley and Simon in the past.

I was never that big of a supporter of Ridley, and hearing about how "He's in the clouds!" or "The shadow!" for a good ten years can really burn out a person's hype towards a character.

Simon's the same. While I believe Verg is probably legit, it got to the point where everyone was just "Simon this." and "Simon that." though the most grating was when Bloody Tears leaked, and people STILL were questioning his inclusion, to the point of thinking people hacked the Youtube channel.

Skull Kid's fallen into the Simon category.

I 'want' him, but you can't go anywhere without "SKULL KID'S IN" "SKULL KIIIIIIIIIIIID" wherever you look.

I want more reveals like K.Rool, where no one saw it coming.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Ridley was iffy. Vergeben had been reliable in the past but he's also gotten stuff wrong, so even then I was unsure about believing him completely, especially coupled with Sakurai's comments on Ridley as a whole.

K.Rool however? Once we got Ridley I always felt like K.Rool was all but confirmed.

Last edited:
My point is more so about whether Lady Bow is even taking the guise of a leaker at all. I saw the thread back then, but it really just came off to me as a hype generating thread based on the word on the street, and not an actual leaker putting information out there. Like, the threads were literally about turning peoples' avatars into Ridley/K. Rool themed ones, mixed with some cocky humor.

Ridley and K. Rool were by no means easy guesses, I agree with that, even after the Vergeben leak Ridley was at best 50/50, but my question is more about whether Lady Bow has ever actually claimed to have inside information, or whether people are just horribly misunderstanding her threads (which could just have been timed very well and been based on the most popular characters at their time).
Actually I would argue Lady Bow treats her leaks so differently that they seem more believable.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The day I woke up hearing we'd get a direct. I felt Isaac was for sure.

Later that day, I felt Incineroar was for sure.

Now that we're sitting here waiting...I don't know anything anymore.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I need to vent about this.

A character being a safe or unsafe prediction is a thought process devised by and used by the Smash community. It is used as a basis for prediction and speculation because we as a community are often faced with dry spouts of information. We convince ourselves these things are true because of limited evidence of the past, and focusing on the "Will..." and the "Would..." instead of the "If..." and the "Could...".

Effectively, there is no right or wrong answer when opinions regarding this subject clash, as one person could see a character as safe for X reasons, while another could see it as unsafe for Y reasons. In the end, this reasoning won't matter anyway, as we as the consumers aren't developing the game and therefore don't have a true grasp of how possible things are.

Basically, all we can really do is yell at each other through the internet. Pretty much business as usual.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The day I woke up hearing we'd get a direct. I felt Isaac was for sure.

Later that day, I felt Incineroar was for sure.

Now that we're sitting here waiting...I don't know anything anymore.
Honestly, I would just say expect the unexpected at this point.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
*character based on Nintendo's love hotel chain is introduced in Smash*

some rando: "Guys it was so OBVIOUS that Sintendo was gonna be included, ANYONE could have predicted it!"

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel Ridley, while not a safe prediction, was pretty likely. In fact, I had included him in my original predictions before E3 (I got a lot wrong there though). There was so much outcry for him that Sakurai had to make a statement. That's saying something. Sakurai really couldn't ignore all of these requests. Sure, there was a chance he was just added as another boss, but he was also the second (K Rool) most popular character. Even if Sakurai still didn't want to add him, he always wants to please the fans. Ridley, I feel, wasn't a too out there prediction. He wasn't obvious, but he was likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom