• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Been quite a while here;

Hopefully Hokkaido is doing all right; and Japan in general. Its best we give them some time to grief and show respect to the ones' experiencing the disaster in Hokkaido; after all, safety is our #1 priority.

The best time we hear Nintendo about the reschedule of the direct is around next Thursday or later, if it were to be earlier than around Sunday or Monday, then, ok. But let's hope Japan is in the best of shape after the god-awful tragedy they're dealing with here. That is all.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
When a character gets revealed, they always become easy guess.

I think we can have faves and obvious choices, but they never are easy guess until they get revealed.
People actually claim that Wii Fit Trainer was obvious. It doesn't matter who the character is, hindsight bias is too strong in this community.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Man, I could've been honest and said I wanted to break this man's legs but I think that's against the rules wait oooooppppssss
You are one angry fellow. Haha.

I think Nintendo is in a tough situation though. Famitsu supposedly has Smash info in the next issue, and those scans apparently leak out around Wednesday. On one hand you want to make sure there's time for people to recover, but on the business side of things you don't want one of your major direct announcements released from Famitsu first.
Sacrificing that marketing is not only respectful, but a great PR move. They’ll get nothing but respect when it’s over.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Been quite a while here;

Hopefully Hokkaido is doing all right; and Japan in general. Its best we give them some time to grief and show respect to the ones' experiencing the disaster in Hokkaido; after all, safety is our #1 priority.

The best time we hear Nintendo about the reschedule of the direct is around next Thursday or later, if it were to be earlier than around Sunday or Monday, then, ok. But let's hope Japan is in the best of shape after the god-awful tragedy they're dealing with here. That is all.
I think Nintendo is in a tough situation though. Famitsu supposedly has Smash info in the next issue, and those scans apparently leak out around Wednesday. On one hand you want to make sure there's time for people to recover, but on the business side of things you don't want one of your major direct announcements released from Famitsu first.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You could always just go to the Rate Their Chances thread and see who was considered safe guesses before E3 and Vergeben's leaks. Hint: It wasn't Ridley with his 18% chance.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Ridley was a never ever until E3.
K.Rool was a never ever until 8.8.

It's not healthy to pretend things didn't happen. Now that they're both in all bets are off on who "won't be in".
I've had both on every single prediction roster I've ever made. Neither were "never evers". They were easy guesses due to their popularity, despite anything Sakurai said about Ridley in the past.

D

Deleted member

Should we expect another Pokemon direct? If so I can definitely see a reveal there.
I imagine Pokemon will probably just be in the general Direct when it's rescheduled. Could be wrong, though; Game Freak is odd and tends to do their own thing, so who knows? Anything's possible.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Ridley and K.Rool, they were never "safe" guesses but they've always been popular ones. People loved to include them on their fake leaks to grab the attention of overly hopeful fans and stir up drama with detractors. Merely guessing Ridley and K.Rool isn't that impressive imo. Although, if we do get Skull Kid's reveal next, I might change my mind.

D

Deleted member

So what defines an anime character anyway?

From what I've picked up in this thread, it's huge eyes, a cutesy, less realistic art style, and bright colors, right?

View attachment 162290
@Tougon's leak is looking more and more real by the second. She's all but confirmed now.
17ε is happening. I warned you all, and no one believed me. Enjoy Star ;)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I can't recall whenever a specific game-focused Direct revealed a Smash character. They always get shown in general or Smash directs.
Agreed. As far as I know, they've never revealed a Smash character during a Pokémon direct. They only want to focus on Pokémon and not have anything else potentially steal their thunder

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Sakurai said he was basing his choices off of the ballot (not sure if he means all of them or not) in one of the columns he writes or an interview, but not sure which one...

D

Deleted member

Emmm... Changing the subject... Who wants Phoenix Wright in Smash?
I mean, he is like 40% possible...
As I said earlier, I'd be down with it. Heck, I'd love it: Phoenix Wright is one of my top 3 DS games. Plus, he was a joy to play in MvC and that game is what really sold me on the concept of him in Smash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I really hope so, she's just so awesome and her character screams personality and uniqueness all over the place.
I want to whip and grab people with her hair while also being able to stomp Bayo as an elephant
Everyone who doesn't think Richter was a safe guess is in denial.
Nobody who never played Castlevania knew who he was (even those who okayed the games didn’t know who he was), so...he wasn’t safe in the slightest
I want him in so much, along with Professor Layton and others but they're very unlikely.
Eggman and Phoenix Wright are possible (though they have other characters from their respective companies in their way)

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Question. Wasn't CoroCoro, which comes out Monday, also to feature Smash information?
Why are we focusing on Famitsu?
I guess I'm the only one who's more focused on the possibility of seeing some new characters revealed for Jump Force in the latest issue of Famitsu as opposed to Smash Bros (Still waiting to see if All Might And Midoriya from MHA are playable in Jump Forces roster)!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I feel Ridley, while not a safe prediction, was pretty likely. In fact, I had included him in my original predictions before E3 (I got a lot wrong there though). There was so much outcry for him that Sakurai had to make a statement. That's saying something. Sakurai really couldn't ignore all of these requests. Sure, there was a chance he was just added as another boss, but he was also the second (K Rool) most popular character. Even if Sakurai still didn't want to add him, he always wants to please the fans. Ridley, I feel, wasn't a too out there prediction. He wasn't obvious, but he was likely.
This exactly, anyone who was into Smash speculation, or at the very least, interested in the character put him on speculation lists. He's a big character, pun intended, that Sakurai acknowledged publicly and was becoming widely known through the Smash community because of Smash 4. It's only natural for people to assume that he would possibly get his due in this game after fan outcry, despite how safe the individual personally believed it to be.
Hell, I remember bringing it up in a stream the day before the direct and being laughed at after they made a Ridley joke.

Now, he wasn't as obvious or considered as a lock like the Inklings, but you have to be joking if you think nobody expected him to make it into the roster.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
No. People go missing all the time. The world doesn’t stop turning because of it. Japan just suffered a crushing blow to their country, but if you expect Nintendo to wait until each and every person is present and accounted for, you’re in for a rude awakening.
Reported

This type of comment doesn't belong here or anywhere. If anything, you're the one who is being disrespectful towards the people who were affected by the earthquake. Have some respect for those who were involved in a situation like this because ANYTHING can happen and ANYONE can get affected

He's joking, a lot of people didn't even know who Richter was when he was revealed.
*raises hand in admitting he doesn't know who Richter was before the reveal*

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm gonna go ahead and risk you guys jumping at me and hating me, but I hope you understand my point:

While I agree saying "They can watch later" wasn't the right thing to say whatsoever, I actually agree with his second post to an extent. Nintendo is a bussiness after all, and sooner or later they have to move on and continue doing their thing. Labor for finding missing people could still take weeks and **** always happens everywhere. Needless to say I hope with all my heart everyone missing is found as soon as possible and alive, but Nintendo has to move on at some point, as every other bussiness and also people.

I hope I expressed this the right way and that you guys understand my point, with all due respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom