• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Ridley & K. Rool were characters that I knew weren't gonna happen despite their popularity, and now they're....there at all, I'm pleased, but remember folks since not every character applies to those two because a leaker says oh they're in...

"Don't believe it until you see it."

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Sacrificing that marketing is not only respectful, but a great PR move. They’ll get nothing but respect when it’s over.
I understand that point of view, but they've already done so by this delay, which I 100% respect them for. It's just taking all personal feelings aside, it would be a bad business move to have your major direct announcement revealed by magazine because of these unfortunate circumstances. There's some people that solely tune in to directs for Smash. If that was revealed beforehand then it'd attract less viewers. Directs are here to try and win over new costumers, and having something major like Smash leak beforehand would mean less consumers viewing that you're trying to sell other games to.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Guys, relax. The first thing I said was a off-the-cuff joke. Was it poor taste? Sure. But we all cope and grieve in different ways.

As for the second thing I said, yeah, I could’ve worded it better, but my point still stands. I seriously doubt Nintendo is waiting for everyone to turn up before they air the direct. They are a business after all. What has happened is tragic, and I think it’s great that Nintendo delayed the Direct while Japan takes time to recover, but to expect them to wait until Japan is at 100% again is really asking a lot of Japan, honestly. I’ve read between the lines and can hear people say “Hurry up and get well soon so we can have our direct!” As it has been said, 99% of Hokkaido has its electricity again. I feel like a Direct is coming within a matter of days.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Similar reasons as to why a Smash reveal wasn't gonna be in the Nindies Direct, i don't see one being in a Pokemon or any other series specific direct.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Guys, relax. The first thing I said was a off-the-cuff joke. Was it poor taste? Sure. But we all cope and grieve in different ways.

As for the second thing I said, yeah, I could’ve worded it better, but my point still stands. I seriously doubt Nintendo is waiting for everyone to turn up before they air the direct. They are a business after all. What has happened is tragic, and I think it’s great that Nintendo delayed the Direct while Japan takes time to recover, but to expect them to wait until Japan is at 100% again is really asking a lot of Japan, honestly. I’ve read between the lines and can hear people say “Hurry up and get well soon so we can have our direct!” As it has been said, 99% of Hokkaido has its electricity again. I feel like a Direct is coming within a matter of days.
That wasn't a funny joke. Next time, please don't be disrespectful.

It is better to focus on the safety and health of Japan, than the videogames. I've realized this lesson now. I will never forget it.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
If you think the earthquake is nothing special,

think about the innocent families that have been destroyed.

And the children.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

"Cope and grieve" yeah I'm sure you have so many people you're grieving over in Japan. (This is sarcasm. It's evident to me that you aren't.) Don't even try to come back from this buddy. Also it's never a good idea to tell the people upset with you to relax.

I don't even care about your second point, that's not what most were upset about. You need to take a BIG step back.

Anyway, we should probably move on from this or whatever. So let's do that. But seriously. What the hell were you thinking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wanted Ridley and K. Rool, but didn't want to end up disappointed. So, I was one of the people that thought it'd never happen and would only believe when I saw it.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with how things turned out. They're here and they're playable, and I'm sure for those who want to play as them like myself, they'll be fun. I'm especially really hyped for K. Rool, as you can probably tell from my sig, lol. :)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I'm gonna go ahead and risk you guys jumping at me and hating me, but I hope you understand my point:

While I agree saying "They can watch later" wasn't the right thing to say whatsoever, I actually agree with his second post to an extent. Nintendo is a bussiness after all, and sooner or later they have to move on and continue doing their thing. Labor for finding missing people could still take weeks and **** always happens everywhere. Needless to say I hope with all my heart everyone missing is found as soon as possible and alive, but Nintendo has to move on at some point, as every other bussiness and also people.

I hope I expressed this the right way and that you guys understand my point, with all due respect.
I do feel like losing the respect of 3 million victims ends up being a loss of respect from many more as a result and, therefore, business. It’s not only respectful to the victims, it’s a great PR move to sacrifice marketing now in favor of offering support to those in need.

If I were a business, I would risk loss for this very thing with great pinache. You help people, people respect and support you. Business classic.

DarkFalcon DarkFalcon
I feel like this also applies as an explanation of my feelings regarding your previous comment.
You’re right that the direct would suffer a bit, but I think global respect is much more rewarding long-term.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That wasn't a funny joke. Next time, please don't be disrespectful.

It is better to focus on the safety and health of Japan, than the videogames. I've realized this lesson now. I will never forget it.
If you think the earthquake is nothing special,

think about the innocent families that have been destroyed.

And the children.
He has admitted that he could have worded his statement better. Move on please.

Shroob

Sup?
Though, the fact that we probably won't get a reveal outside of general and Smash focused Directs raises an eyebrow.

We've yet to have a Robin/Lucina type of reveal this game, and I'm not sure we 'will' at this point.

We most definitely aren't getting another General direct next month, and unless the Smash Direct is next month, October seems pretty barebones.

If Sakurai's intentions are to reveal ALL the remaining characters before launch, he really doesn't have that many windows of opportunity left, which really leads me into believing that this Direct would have more than 1 character, probably 2 with a few Echoes.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Honestly the reasoning behind the delay is unclear. It's most likely gesture than anything else. It could also be the presentation contained something insensitive to the current affairs. I highly doubt it's because Nintendo are waiting to see if everyone is okay however.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

People would probably be more inclined to relax if you just apologized for what you said

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I guess I'm the only one who's more focused on the possibility of seeing some new characters revealed for Jump Force in the latest issue of Famitsu as opposed to Smash Bros (Still waiting to see if All Might And Midoriya from MHA are playable in Jump Forces roster)!
I'm not buying Jump Force unless my boi NATSU gets in.

Dude's been left out of every. single. Shonen. Jump. game. Every single one.
Honestly the reasoning behind the delay is unclear. It's most likely gesture than anything else. It could also be the presentation contained something insensitive to the current affairs. I highly doubt it's because Nintendo are waiting to see if everyone is okay however.
This is already known. Laura Kate Dale confirmed this right after we learned about the Direct.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman

While I agree with your second point, your first sentiment is poor judgement. You can't make a disrespectful joke and then tell people to relax because it's just part of your "grieving" process for people you've never even met.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Ridley and K.Rool, they were never "safe" guesses but they've always been popular ones. People loved to include them on their fake leaks to grab the attention of overly hopeful fans and stir up drama with detractors. Merely guessing Ridley and K.Rool isn't that impressive imo. Although, if we do get Skull Kid's reveal next, I might change my mind.
To add onto the fact of them being really popular choices, when you try and look at who could be a newcomer for the roster, we're kinda running out of wiggle room here, so I could see why some people would say "Oh, K. Rool was an easy choice" especially given the history with him and Smash.

Hell, I'd even agree with Anthony Fantano when he says that Waluigi is gonna get probably gonna get in sooner or later. Not in the NEWEST iteration, but down the line seems more likely, especially when we get to a point where we have like a 100-man roster. ( Source: https://youtu.be/mOoWXIomfc0?t=6m59s )

And yes, I said Fantano. He's actually a Pac-Man main.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Yeah that wasn't a joke. That was just offensive.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Anyway.

How would you feel if Impa got in as a brand new newcomer over Skull Kid?
I won't even be mad. We're long overdue for a Zelda newcomer so I'd welcome her

Imagine the hype if Skull Kid was moved to DLC just to make the hype train run post-roster reveal

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Impa over Skull Kid? No qualms if she'd be a unique character and not an echo. I want both of them equally

fortun8

Smash Cadet
would like to add my comment about respect (or the lack of it) to the pile.
so maybe people are just trying to be cool and aloof, but there's ways to do that without being disrespectful, too! the way some things have been said so far, that doesn't fly with a lot of people...
Nintendo is a bussiness after all, and sooner or later they have to move on and continue doing their thing. Labor for finding missing people could still take weeks and **** always happens everywhere. Needless to say I hope with all my heart everyone missing is found as soon as possible and alive, but Nintendo has to move on at some point, as every other bussiness and also people.
while i can see where you're coming from, and companies tend to move on at some point, i think we're taking this a little too literally, if that's the right word. of course most situations like this can't stall everything for an indefinite amount of time, but the fact that Nintendo hasn't been back at full-speed yet makes me think that they're simply not ready yet. while stuff happens internationally, and you can't halt everything, it's important to take your time with stuff like this, you know?

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
No. People go missing all the time. The world doesn’t stop turning because of it. Japan just suffered a crushing blow to their country, but if you expect Nintendo to wait until each and every person is present and accounted for, you’re in for a rude awakening.
Still doesn't change how bad the situation was. Nintendo did this out of RESPECT for these people. Of course they won't wait for everyone to be found but they delayed it out of respect. This comes off as incredibly heartless and uncaring.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I do feel like losing the respect of 3 million victims ends up being a loss of respect from many more as a result and, therefore, business. It’s not only respectful to the victims, it’s a great PR move to sacrifice marketing now in favor of offering support to those in need.

If I were a business, I would risk loss for this very thing with great pinache. You help people, people respect and support you. Business classic.

DarkFalcon DarkFalcon
I feel like this also applies as an explanation of my feelings regarding your previous comment.
You’re right that the direct would suffer a bit, but I think global respect is much more rewarding long-term.
The fact remains that Nintendo has consumers all over the world and the vast majority of them don't particularly care much about a disaster in a country they have no connection to. They're all still anticipating what was promised.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Completely fine. Like Kirby, I just want someone new. I don't really care who they are, I just want a new Zelda character, lol.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually prefer Impa over Skull Kid
I agree honestly!
I love Impa, especially HW Warriors Impa who was my main. If she got in I'd definitely try to play her.
Skull Kid's cool but I'm more fond of Impa.

Can confirm. Am sitting on a chair and every time I look at it I flinch.
What color is it?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyway.

How would you feel if Impa got in as a brand new newcomer over Skull Kid?
To echo what Mr. Wario said, I'd be fine with it. I just want any Zelda newcomer, no matter who it is.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

Everyone has different POV that may differ from yours (thanks for the lesson Luigi The President Luigi The President ) and i'm no one to judge others, but i'll only tell you this: choose your words better next time. (this also applies to me)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom