• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ah understood. Well based on the spaces on the stage selection screen. We should probably expect a few more whether new or returning.

Still pulling for Bowser's Castle and Gangplank Galleon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm still of the mind it will probably be a Pokemon.

Maybe multiple if I dare to dream.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Personally, I'm not convinced we're even getting more stages to be frank.

Between this:

And barring Isaac and Banjo, most of the 'front runners' for predictions that people would want don't even need a new stage, and if neither Ridley or K.Rool got one.... I'm just not expecting anymore 'new' stages right now.
I have to be honest, I don't exactly trust them with Smash Ultimate speculation right now. Especially with that Rate Their Chances thing that happened after August 8th.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I honestly just want them to announce the date they intend to premier the Direct. It would make it easier if I knew when to expect it. The undecidedness kills me...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I have to be honest, I don't exactly trust them with Smash Ultimate speculation right now. Especially with that Rate Their Chances thing that happened after August 8th.
There's a big difference between:

One person's opinion on a character, which most likely includes personal bias

and

Translating what Sakurai himself says

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've always been surprised by how Japan's media is so reactive to disasters. The closest thing I can remember ever happening in the United States was when the Spider-Man film removed the World Trade Center scene after the events of 09/11. Otherwise, companies pretty much always move ahead with scheduled releases and conferences and such no matter what is happening in the country or internationally. To be clear, I'm not criticizing Nintendo or any of the other Japanese companies that have cancelled or altered plans in response to current events in the country. I merely wonder why things are handled so differently over there. Is it a simple matter of ethics, where their companies are much more sensitive than Western ones (or perhaps cultural expectations to "pay respects" through business decisions)? Is it due to the size of Japan meaning that almost any natural disaster is going to prevent a sizable percent of domestic consumers to be unable to access the media? My familiarity with Japanese culture is limited, so I can only speculate. Does anyone happen to actually know the reason for this difference between corporate responses to disasters here and in Japan?
They even went to the trouble of cutting out the Arsenal Gear crashing into NYC scene from Metal Gear Solid 2, after 9/11 happened.

Shroob

Sup?
Going off of the "Expected 5/6" or whatever people choose to call them...

Echoes don't require a new stage, so there's that, so going into the big 5/6 of characters and stages:

Isaac: Would need a stage

Bandanna Dee: Wouldn't need a stage

Incineroar: Wouldn't need a stage

Banjo+Kazooie: Would need a stage

Skull Kid: Wouldn't need a stage

Geno: Depends, I say he wouldn't need a stage, but it's completely dependent on how he's handled.

Skull Kid and Dee have multiple stages they could use as their 'home' stage.

Incineroar SHOULD by all intensive purposes get an Alola-themed stage, but he doesn't 'need' one.

Banjo and Isaac would definitely need a new stage.

Geno's the odd one here. If he's treated as a special guest, I could see him get a stage. If he's just a Mario character, he doesn't technically 'need' one.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honest thought, he would work 100% in the Smash game, because he would be the first card character. Unfortunately he's anime so...
Funny enough, I only got introduced to Yugioh because of a GBA game. I was on a family road trip and my little brother was obsessed with Yugioh, and really wanted me to play the card game with him. So I borrowed his GBA game and played it on the car ride to understand how the game worked.

It's never been my favorite series, but I played with him and watched the first couple seasons with Pegasus and Merric and it was just stupid enough to be really entertaining. Whole reason I watched any at all though was that dumb little GBA game.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The previous conversations really got me thinking.

What if the other companies were the once who came up with the smash formula? How would their character roster look like? And what kind of content would the games contain?

I'm bored in anticipation to the direct so I decided to give it a shot.

I narrowed every companies roster size to 12 characters with everyone having 4 unlockable characters akin to the original Smash. Two of those 4 unlockables are from franchises represented by 2 starter characters.

Note that i'm not THAT familiar with every company.

Starter: Alex Kidd, Gillius, Sonic the Hedgehog, Akira Yuki, Nights, AiAi, Kiryu Kazuma, Billy Hatcher.
Unlockable: Tails, Axel Stone, Goro Majima, Bayonetta.

Starter: Arthur, Ryu, Mega Man, Strider Hiryu, Jill Valentine, Dante, Amaterasu, Frank West.
Unlockable: Chun-Li, Leon S. Kennedy, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter.

Starter: Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Heihachi Mishima, Nightmare, Lloyd Irving, Kite, KOS-MOS, Alisa Illinichina Amiella.
Unlockable: Jin Kazama, Ivy Valentine, Klonoa, Prince.

Starter: Frogger, Bomberman, TwinBee, Simon Belmont, Bill Rizer, Solid Snake, Bonk, Yugo Ogami.
Unlockable: Goemon, Alucard, Raiden, Pyramid Head.

Starter: Erdrick, Cloud Strife, Crono, Raziel, Lara Croft, Agent 47, Sora, Neku.
Unlockable: Slime, Tifa Lockhart, Gex, Rico Rodriguez.

Even placed them in chronological order by series as how they would appear on the CSS!
Dedication, I know.

Also... all this! Way harder than I first thought!
I'll give this a go too.

Starter: Sonic the Hedgehog, AiAi, Beat, Ulala, Joe Musashi, Akira Yuki, Gillius Thunderhead, Billy Hatcher.
Unlockable: Sarah Bryant, Shadow the Hedgehog, Axel Stone, Alex Kidd.

Starter: Megaman, Ryu, Chun-Li, Jill Valentine, Arthur, Strider Hiryu, Dante, Monster Hunter.
Unlockable: Zero, Morrigan Aensland, Phoenix Wright, M. Bison.

Starter: Pac-Man, Heihachi Mishima, Sophitia Alexandria, Lloyd Irving, Dig Dug, KOS-MOS, Klonoa, Bravoman.
Unlockable: Alisa (God Eater), Jin Kazama, Yuri Lowell, Nightmare.

Starter: Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Twinbee, Yugo, Reiko Hinomoto, Goemon, Frogger.
Unlockable: Astronots (Rakuga Kids), Alucard, Moai, Power Pro Kun.

Starter: Cloud Strife, Aya Brea, Slime, Neku, Fei Fong Wong, Sora, Neku, Caim.
Unlockable: Noctis, Sephiroth, Lara Croft, Eve.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I honestly just want them to announce the date they intend to premier the Direct. It would make it easier if I knew when to expect it. The undecidedness kills me...
Atleast we know we are getting one this month and it's not like pre-E3 / July.

I'd say wait until the direct timer goes off to see if they update it there. Otherwise honestly they will probably announce it the day before like they always do and be glad it'll probably be next week.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Funny enough, I only got introduced to Yugioh because of a GBA game. I was on a family road trip and my little brother was obsessed with Yugioh, and really wanted me to play the card game with him. So I borrowed his GBA game and played it on the car ride to understand how the game worked.

It's never been my favorite series, but I played with him and watched the first couple seasons with Pegasus and Merric and it was just stupid enough to be really entertaining. Whole reason I watched any at all though was that dumb little GBA game.
Stairway to the destined duel?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
That video’s not even speculation. It’s just directly translating something Sakurai says to prove he never said there would be more stages.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Let's hope the new Direct date is addressed in the Japan only livestream this evening.

Man, Japan's hit by a major earthquake and I'm over here in California and I can say that we're literally "on fire" right now. Geez, can't these disasters just not happen? At least for just a few years? Is that so much to ask?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Stairway to the destined duel?
I honestly couldn't tell you. This was like 17 years ago.

I Googled what the cartridge looked like on all the GBA games though and I think Stairway is the one I played.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The direct was postponed at 3am EST or 4pm Japan time. It may be logical to assume we could get an update on it then (about 9.5 hours from now) or over the next few days if that's when they'll make it public.

But perhaps it's not a set time they say, so it could be at any point lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My best guesses are Tuesday and Thursday next week.

And it's all dependant on the aftershocks and clean-up.

Does anyone have any donation links to help those effected?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Agreed! Although the Delay is a bummer. I think Nintendo did the right thing.
As someone who was ****ed over for months by Hurricane Maria and missed a metric ton of FEH content I fully support the decision.
The situation sucks, and having that feeling of missing out on stuff you love makes things harder, because the thing you used to rely on for stress relief becomes another source of stress. The last thing I wanted to happen during that time was a Direct announcement.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Yeah, it started as a manga after all.

Konami only owns the OCG and TCG.
Thanks for correcting me, I was misremembering. Shueisha owns it, but Konami just has lisences for pretty much everything except the manga (this Includes Cardgame, videogames and the anime)

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm guessing they won't say what day and time it will air on until at least next Monday. It seems like they want this upcoming weekend to pass over first before they commit to anything, as the earthquakes are still on-going. With that said, I do think it will air sometime next week before the Friday of.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
As someone who was ****ed over for months by Hurricane Maria and missed a metric ton of FEH content I fully support the decision.
The situation sucks, and having that feeling of missing out on stuff you love makes things harder, because the thing you used to rely on for stress relief becomes another source of stress. The last thing I wanted to happen during that time was a Direct announcement.
You and me both, man. Maria was 3 months of horribleness day after day and the political corruption didn't help either.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Someone tell me what's been going on today, I've been seeing a lot of news and have no idea what's going on.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I've always been surprised by how Japan's media is so reactive to disasters. The closest thing I can remember ever happening in the United States was when the Spider-Man film removed the World Trade Center scene after the events of 09/11. Otherwise, companies pretty much always move ahead with scheduled releases and conferences and such no matter what is happening in the country or internationally. To be clear, I'm not criticizing Nintendo or any of the other Japanese companies that have cancelled or altered plans in response to current events in the country. I merely wonder why things are handled so differently over there. Is it a simple matter of ethics, where their companies are much more sensitive than Western ones (or perhaps cultural expectations to "pay respects" through business decisions)? Is it due to the size of Japan meaning that almost any natural disaster is going to prevent a sizable percent of domestic consumers to be unable to access the media? My familiarity with Japanese culture is limited, so I can only speculate. Does anyone happen to actually know the reason for this difference between corporate responses to disasters here and in Japan?
Community.

Japan is a small country if you are to compare it but made almost entirely of Japanese. However, each region has its distinct culture, history, and even dialect which is crazy since two villages will have two distinct dialects when all that is separating them is a single mountain range.

Despite that, there is a sense of community and the idea that “we all go through it together”. The whole country has a moment of silence for Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Tohoku.

However, Japan is also big enough where people far from the disaster feel little effect from it and carry on with thier lives. But I think that’s uniformal worldwide. Still though, the community is important.

This recent decision by Nintendo and other instances from companies reflect this community culture. Kuzuna or “bonds” is also important since Nintendo, as a company that interacts with the public through entertainment goods, feels connected to them. My father-in-law saw most of his house damaged by the Kumamoto earthquake but instead of repairing his house first (being an architect and landscaper by trade), he helped repair three other houses around him first. That’s because of “Kuzuna”. I suspect that Nintendo wants to show support to those affected by the earthquake and one way was to bring the focus away from a Direct and to the disaster in order to help the community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-16321999

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Wait, Nintendo's doing a livestream later tonight? What's that about? Was that something we knew about prior to the direct?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If this is the case I'm relatively surprised. Don't you think they'd let people take their time to mourn and attend funerals before doing such a thing? I think this is rushing things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom