• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Seriously though. Can anyone explains why he has to T-pose for Darkest Lariat? It's funny, but it looks weird.

I really do appreciate Incineroar though, but I'm not sure my main/secondary list could handle it!
Because he's an all-star. Get your game on.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So I couldn't find the comment on /v/ or /vg/, which would be the main two boards you'd find something like that. Unless more information comes out about it I'm calling it fake.

Requesting more information from Shroob Shroob again.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Like I care about tiers. I just play the characters I like, be they top tier or top trash.
Besides, he doesn't need to be top tier for him to push some faces in.
Just look at Ganondorf. The king of disrespect.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I forgot Daemon X Machina existed. I forgot we were getting Nintendo Gundam.
we're getting nintendo ****ing gundam again

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
>One person in particular worked strangely hard on Fire Emblem’s music, so the number of tracks from that series increased as well.
Fire Emblem was an inside job
"Hey, hey uh, Jimmy, you sure you don't wanna work on anything else?"

"Nah Mr. Sakurai, just Fire Emblem."

"Well okay but I mean--"

"JUST. FIRE EMBLEM."

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Seriously though. Can anyone explains why he has to T-pose for Darkest Lariat? It's funny, but it looks weird.

I really do appreciate Incineroar though, but I'm not sure my main/secondary list could handle it!
Because a lariat is a wrestling move that consists of hitting your opponent with your arm horizontally extended.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You know, chairs are a common weapon in wrestling

Pikachu and Mewtwo respectively have yellow and purple colors, and are both Pokemon

The chairs in the Direct were yellow and purple, and Incineroar is also a Pokemon

The chairs are hinting at Incineroar oh my god it's a conspiracy I tell ya

or, you know, it could mean nothing

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Is it real a supposed leak from back june that predicted the order of the reveals? I was watching youtube and I see a video talking about this leak that got Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K Rool, Follow by Isaac, Isabelle, Black Shadow and Skull Kid and more.

Is it really from june?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Oh I’m fine. Thankfully I’ve never went through anything massive. Any place has its share of problem. Japan has hardly any violent crime like America does so there’s that. And drunk driving incidents are quite rare. Terrorist activities are virtually nonexistent. But they make up for it in earthquakes, typhoons, landslides, volcanoes, tsunami’s, and the occasional tornado.

Still though, it’s a very beautiful country. Here’s the view near to my house. Forgive me for the slab of concrete. It’s the edge of the parking lot at the community center where I teach english for adults Thursday nights.

View attachment 162103

Well, we only have 23 hours left until the next direct. I haven’t kept up on any of the leaks or rumors but I’m looking forward to seeing some Smash (hopefully), Mario Party, Go Pikachu and Eevee, new Fire Emblem, Nintendo Online, and hopefully Metroid Prime 4.
So, what's it like in Japan? I'm learning a bit of their language, and I can remember some hiragana and katakana by heart when I look at it, but I feel like I'm cramming too much characters in my head.

I imagine its peaceful there, but I wonder, do you speak fluent Japanese?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What stage do you guys think will be next revealed assuming it is in this direct tomorrow?

I'm thinking Bowser's Castle which I'm surprised has never happened in a Smash game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Two reasons:
1. The "lariat" or the video game version of it was popularized by two big burly men:

I'm going to say, this is a VERY clear reference to one of these 2.
It's a pretty iconic move as far as video-game wrestlers go.

2. It's super easy to animate.
They don't even animate him getting into the T-Pose, just boom fire effects in palm, teleport into T-Pose, add really cool lighting, and start spinning him toward the enemy.

If you look closely, you'll see they don't even animate him spinning his feet, lmao.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Pikachu and Mewtwo respectively have yellow and purple colors, and are both Pokemon

The chairs in the Direct were yellow and purple, and Incineroar is also a Pokemon

I was looking at the chairs all wrong. This is indisputable proof Incineroar is in the game. Pack your bags everyone! The chairs were right all along, just for a different character. :troll:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Or the chairs represents the fairies that are associated with Skull Kid. Don't also forget the color of the pillows on the couch that fits Skull Kids.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
To be fair, evem legendaries that aren't supposed to have a sex like the Creation Trio + Arceus have those kinds of pics. The Pokémon fandom is... really creative.
And Mr. Mime doesn’t care what anyone thinks. Female or Male. Mr. Mime. Pokémon don’t even care what people think.

They’re too busy trying to avoid eternal imprisonment inside the devices of children trying to mold them into fighters.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I've been thinking about this lately: Will the Chorus Kids get into this Smash after being cut from the last ones? After hearing the whole "I hope you don't expect too many newcomers" thing, I came to the conclusion that the answer is almost certainly "no" as it seemed that the development team would be focusing all of their efforts on bringing back old fighters and then adding Echoes and highly-requested newcomers. But just recently I thought of something that I hadn't given much consideration to previously: they were almost certainly cut after development began on them. I believe this might just be their saving grace. Remember, the Ice Climbers were built to a playable state on the Wii U version before being cut due to the limitations of the classic 3DS/2DS. The Chorus Kids were cut at an unknown point in development, likely due to being a multi-character like Nana and Popo and thus facing similar issues. Let's break down how their series were represented in the final games:

Ice Climber

• Smash Run enemy
  • Two songs
  • Several trophies
Rhythm Heaven
  • Smash Run enemy
  • Two songs
  • Several trophies
The two most likely explanations for why Rhythm Heaven would have received similar amounts of representation as Ice Climber are that the Chorus Kids were cut after a fair amount of development had been done and a version of them was implemented into the Wii U version, similar to Ice Climbers, or that Sakurai was invested enough in the idea of representing the series in Smash that even after the character concept was scrapped he had the team implement these other elements into the games. Given the presence of the Rhythm Heaven series icon data among the fighter franchise icons, I'm inclined to believe that there was in fact a fair amount of work done on them before being cut (though the second possibility is likely true to some extent, as well). My point in bringing all of this up? Well, the Ice Climbers were brought back in Ultimate, and since this game is obviously a port largely built off of the framework of the previous version just like the other games in the series were in their initial stages of development, surely their return was facilitated by the fact that they already had quite a bit of work done from the start, making them easier to develop than a character that would need to be made from scratch. With the relatively limited resources available to be used on newcomers with everyone and nearly everywhere being here, so to speak, just as Echo fighters now make even more sense than before as a means to offer fans new characters to play as, it would make perfect sense for the team to also return to the partially-developed Chorus Kids for a comparatively-easy newcomer. Add in the relevancy of the RH series at the time that the project proposal was completed (Megamix released in Japan in June 2015 with an American release planned for the next year, and the proposal was made in December 2015) and the fan demand for a Rhythm Heaven character in the Smash Ballot (which, admittedly, was limited, though certainly not nonexistent), not to mention Sakurai's penchant for adding in a crazy character pick or two in each game which may be in jeopardy of not being feasible this time with the aforementioned strained resources, and I think it all adds up to a pretty solid case for why the Chorus Kids are likely to finally bring the beat in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Low tier or not, I’m gonna main the hell out of him. Tier placement has never meant much to me.
I can guarantee you it really means nothing to Zelda players. Being low tier for 3/4 consecutive games in a row has to hurt.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've been thinking about this lately: Will the Chorus Kids get into this Smash after being cut from the last ones? After hearing the whole "I hope you don't expect too many newcomers" thing, I came to the conclusion that the answer is almost certainly "no" as it seemed that the development team would be focusing all of their efforts on bringing back old fighters and then adding Echoes and highly-requested newcomers. But just recently I thought of something that I hadn't given much consideration to previously: they were almost certainly cut after development began on them. I believe this might just be their saving grace. Remember, the Ice Climbers were built to a playable state on the Wii U version before being cut due to the limitations of the classic 3DS/2DS. The Chorus Kids were cut at an unknown point in development, likely due to being a multi-character like Nana and Popo and thus facing similar issues. Let's break down how their series were represented in the final games:

Ice Climber
  • Smash Run enemy
  • Two songs
  • Several trophies
Rhythm Heaven
  • Smash Run enemy
  • Two songs
  • Several trophies
The two most likely explanations for why Rhythm Heaven would have received similar amounts of representation as Ice Climber are that the Chorus Kids were cut after a fair amount of development had been done and a version of them was implemented into the Wii U version, similar to Ice Climbers, or that Sakurai was invested enough in the idea of representing the series in Smash that even after the character concept was scrapped he had the team implement these other elements into the games. Given the presence of the Rhythm Heaven series icon data among the fighter franchise icons, I'm inclined to believe that there was in fact a fair amount of work done on them before being cut (though the second possibility is likely true to some extent, as well). My point in bringing all of this up? Well, the Ice Climbers were brought back in Ultimate, and since this game is obviously a port largely built off of the framework of the previous version just like the other games in the series were in their initial stages of development, surely their return was facilitated by the fact that they already had quite a bit of work done from the start, making them easier to develop than a character that would need to be made from scratch. With the relatively limited resources available to be used on newcomers with everyone and nearly everywhere being here, so to speak, just as Echo fighters now make even more sense than before as a means to offer fans new characters to play as, it would make perfect sense for the team to also return to the partially-developed Chorus Kids for a comparatively-easy newcomer. Add in the relevancy of the RH series at the time that the project proposal was completed (Megamix released in Japan in June 2015 with an American release planned for the next year, and the proposal was made in December 2015) and the fan demand for a Rhythm Heaven character in the Smash Ballot (which, admittedly, was limited, though certainly not nonexistent), not to mention Sakurai's penchant for adding in a crazy character pick or two in each game which may be in jeopardy of not being feasible this time with the aforementioned strained resources, and I think it all adds up to a pretty solid case for why the Chorus Kids are likely to finally bring the beat in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Errr how do we know it was the Chorus Kids? It could had also been Karate Joe for all we know. All that was said is a Rhythm Heaven rep planned for Smash 4. I'm incline to believe its Karate Joe due to the hint in K. Rool's trailer with how DK is positioned with the TV.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, making that Nintendo Direct bingo card was fun (even if I had to make it twice because of a software crash ‾\_(ツ)_/‾)

I even downloaded the actual font Nintendo uses for their website (specifically the "Nintendo Direct [Date]" header).

It's called "Lato" and it's actually a free font. You can download it here.
Apparently, Lato's "fonts can be used without any limitations for commercial and non-commercial purposes." So I wonder if we could get it on Smashboards?

With that said, I must away, my bed beckons.

Be sure to quote or @ me if you use my Bingo Template, I want to see what people come up with.
Good night thanks for the bingo sheet
Oh, I'm expecting to go into hiding once the rage has begun...

Also, notice something different about me?
Congrats on making the cut:)
Yeah and massive flooding that killed over 200. And a level 6 earthquake in Osaka and a level 4 right where I live. and that past typhoon was number 21 of the season.
Be careful out there.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Because a lariat is a wrestling move that consists of hitting your opponent with your arm horizontally extended.
I can say I understand now. The animation still looks so goofy with the dark lighting though.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Or the chairs represents the fairies that are associated with Skull Kid. Don't also forget the color of the pillows on the couch that fits Skull Kids.
That's stupid. Clearly the chairs are the actual new characters. This game needs to represent the chair community. If they aren't in then Sakurai obviously hates chairs and you're blind if you don't think so.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well, odds are we'll probably get some kind of Smash news tomorrow. Nothing's for certain, but it's a pretty safe bet.

In the mean time, anyone up for some more discussion? I promise, there're some things therein that you've never considered before.

Hector for ike would be a breath of fresh air.

Funny thing to say on the topic of Fire Emblem Characters in Smash Bros.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom