• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
6 PM! This works out wonders for me, right in between classes unlike the August Direct that came up when I wss working :/. My bets on 1 newcoemr, 2 echoes. Trailer of necomer, Sakurai drops by, says hello, talks baout new character, then shows 2 echeos, says "stay tuned for more Smash news this month/next month" and then onto the next game.

Oh, and can we please have some Prime 4 footage?

Nintendo really needs to learn how to put an proper timezone. The direct starts at midnight for me.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I just went and checked my first post.

It was introducing myself on the Newcomer Stock Icon thread, my 4th post was introducing myself on the Isaac thread.

My first post on this thread was:
"I get that too. We'll all get used to it, I guess."

It was a reply to Chandeelure, saying he's still not used to the initialism "SSBU" and how he keeps thinking people are talking about Smash 4 Wii U.

My how time flies.
First post was me being shy. I wanted to get along with cute/fluffy monsters/pets like you, Pichu, Yoshi, etc.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Bruh my class literally starts at 6 and ends at 8:45. There's no way I can watch this live and resist the urge to look it up during class. HELP ME

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'll be holding my tongue regarding if there will be a character or not, and who would it be if there will be one. If there's dialogue in the trailer this time, my hopes for Phosphora or Medusa will be boosted.

Long story short, looking back at Palutena being revealed for s4, there was dialogue and voiceovers in her trailer... let alone there was a fair amount of voiceovers already in a few trailers before her. So if I compare this pattern to this Smash, if dialogue/voices happen in this trailer if there will be one and it isn't related to KI, then chances are the time of Kid Icarus will likely come some time after that, and once again, Phosphora and Medusa potential. You can also apply this to other series/franchises that hold lots of voices to it too, but I am specifically picking KI because it left quite a huge impact... at least to me.

As for the other question if a trailer's coming, who will be "finished" next? :ultpit:

osby

Smash Obsessed
smh y'all going nuts over Smash. I, a Galaxy Brain however, am gonna bite someone's **** off out of excitement for Dream Friends Wave 3
I, Universe Brain, will be waiting for Bayonetta 3.

PQ2 and FE Three Houses would be cool, too.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Predictions:
Incineroar announced at start
Isabelle and Ken announced as echoes part way through
Ends with Skull Kid announcement

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I may be overly cynical sometimes, but I sure do love being wrong.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!

TRAIN.jpg

While I have no predictions yet, I can't wait to see Ayumi Tachibana Isaac.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Hopefully we’re all prepared for the entire Internet endlessly complaining about literally anything they could announce regarding the 3DS...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Metroid Prime 4 maybe?

Maybe an announcement for Spyro on Switch? My only real hopes outside of Smash.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think if we do get a smash reveal its going to be a quick one with just a character trailer and more focus on other stuff like Three Houses, Xenoblade DLC, Metroid Prime 4, etc.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai never always goes for the obvious picks. He likes choosing characters that no one sees coming. No character is considered a "lock" until they're confirmed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey Nintendo?

SHOW US LIIIIIIIGHT FOR NOW
SHOW A SIIIIIGN FOR WHERE WE CAN GO
INTO THE CAVE WITH NO GUIDING LIGHT
DO YOU KNOW, KNOW, KNOW, KNOW WHERE IS THE GOAL??

also Waddle Dee and/or Isaac would be sweet too just sayin

KMDP

Smash Legend
I, Universe Brain, will be waiting for Bayonetta 3.

PQ2 and FE Three Houses would be cool, too.
And me, Multiverse brain...

Expects nothing in particular, but is hoping for an Isaac reveal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Predictions:
For a 35 min announcement that's supposed to cover other titles and 3DS stuff, that may be expecting too much. If we're getting a character reveal (and it may be better for people to consider that a big 'if' to not disappoint themselves), I would expect a small trailer at the end of the direct (when Hype and hope is at its zenith) that teases a new character along with a date for the next Smash focused Direct.

Personally though, I'm not expecting Smash news at all and I kinda want the announcement of SNES & Gamecube games coming to the eShop for Switch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bruh my class literally starts at 6 and ends at 8:45. There's no way I can watch this live and resist the urge to look it up during class. HELP ME
Have a mate get the stream ready to play as soon as you come back. Just make sure it's on firescreen so the recommended videos don't spoil it

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai never always goes for the obvious picks. He likes choosing characters that no one sees coming. No character is considered a "lock" until they're confirmed.
I mean, he straight up said Chrom and Dark Samus was predictable.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Man no matter what they announce it's gonna be overshadowed by people *****ing about the online service

There's just no way they're gonna avoid that ****storm unless they pull something that REALLY gets everyone's attention. Right now no one has any incentive to sign up for it other than online play and 20 bog-standard NES games that you've played 5000 times on other consoles.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Wow, so the rumblings were right. Hopefully this direct has some interesting new games.

As always I can't wait to see the various threads across the internet complaining because Nintendo didn't show x or y or z. It's how the cycle always ends.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion but I hope it isn’t only Isaac. Not because I dislike him or think he shouldn’t be in, but because I don’t know much about him, so It’d be another quite a bit of time waiting for the next newcomer hoping it’s somebody I want or know well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My predictions:
- Animal Crossing Switch, with Isabelle echo (splash card and gameplay only, no trailer)
- either Launch Trailer for Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country, or announcement of Xenoblade X Director’s Cut. Followed by Elma Smash trailer
- Waddle Dee trailer at the very end

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion but I hope it isn’t only Isaac. Not because I dislike him or think he shouldn’t be in, but because I don’t know much about him, so It’d be another quite a bit of time waiting for the next newcomer hoping it’s somebody I want or know well.
On the other hand, I want a character we didn't talked about for months or I didn't know well, so we can have a new topic.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I feel we'll get a very well known character and possibly and echo as well. I'd expect them to be more well known than Smash popular since it's a general direct, so I'd favor Isabelle, Skull Kid, or a Pokémon.

Need to go make a bingo card...
GOOGLE alerted me to a game on Resetera:
  • Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
    • One new fighter
    • One echo fighter
    • One assist trophy
    • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
  • You may also specify
    • alternate fighter costumes
    • franchise trophies
    • stage music
    • reveal trailer
Eh it sounded more fun before before I posted.
This is unfortunate that this game is going to get buried. It sounds really fun.

Fortunately, I've got it mostly taken care of...

Character: Dovahkiin
Echo: Doesn't really need one, but Miraak or Ulfric will work
Assist: Serana or Aela the Huntress, possibly.
Stage: High Hrothgar, with Alduin coming down sometimes and basically taking over Ridley's Pyrosphere animations.

And the rest is all quoted from various other threads...
Based on the customization possible, I made costumes for several race/gender choices. There are two models (male and female) which act the same way, similar to Robin’s two options.
Possible costumes:

Male 1: default Nord. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Female 1: takes Lydia’s appearance. I debated on Aela, but Lydia is one of the better known characters and she’s more armored.
Male 2: takes after Brynjolf. Red hair, green eyes.
Female 2: blonde hair, blue eyes. I used Stormcloak colors for her.
Male 3: Redguard, black hair, brown eyes. I went with an imperial color scheme, but took Tullius’ gold armor since all the other men had grey. Not that the Redguards would support the empire by Skyrim, but eh...
Female 3: Altmer. I took a gold Elven recolor for the armor, and gave it some Thalmor black touches.
Male 4: Orc. This model will have a slight difference from the other male models to get the correct teeth. Armor is darker like the Orcish armor in game.
Female 4: Dunmer. I tried a Dark Brotherhood motif for the armor here.

While I hesitate to call it a ‘gimmick,’ Dovahkiin’s specials rely on recharging shouts. Each shout has three charge levels (uncharged, from just tapping the button; half charge from holding for a bit; and full charge from olding longer). Uncharged shouts can be used anytime and do not add to the recharge timer. Charged shouts can only be used when not in cooldown, but will go into a cooldown phase after use. Naturally the more a move is charged, the more powerful it is.

Cooldown is shown as a bar on the UI. Like in Skyrim, the bar will glow in cooldown, and will fade when done. To improve visibility, the entire bar will be filled.

Neutral​
Skyrim’s standard attack: Two sword swipes from right to left, then left to right.​
Ftilt​
Lunges and stabs with the dagger.​
Utilt​
Sword swipe above him. Similar to the first swipe of Link’s uSmash.​
Dtilt​
A dagger swipe while crouching (Skyrim’s Off-hand attack while in Sneak mode).​
Dash​
Does a spinning attack (Skyrim’s Sword/Dagger Power Attack). 3 hits:​
- Quick dagger slash to the left.​
- Heavy sword swipe to the left, turning him.​
- Heavy dagger backhand.​
FSmash​
Powerful shield bash (Skyrim’s Power Bash). Charges while holding the shield in front of him. Does great knockback and gives armor for the duration. Punishable.​
USmash​
Stabs the air with his sword while shouting. Small windbox effect around him.​
DSmash​
Plants the sword in the ground similar to the Talos statues. Lots of end lag.​
Nair​
Spins around with sword and dagger out.​
Fair​
Heavy slash in front of him with his sword.​
Bair​
Tosses dagger and catches it in a reverse grip, then stabs behind him.​
Uair​
Slashes both blades above him in a cross pattern.​
Dair​
Equips shield and falls to a three-point landing. Small ground tremor.​
Grab​
Empties left hand and grabs enemy by the collar. Sheathes sword on successful grab.​
Pummel​
Punches enemy in the face with his right hand.​
Fthrow​
Tackles enemy to the ground and slams shield into their chest, similar to the Captain America/Iron Man fight in Civil War. High damage but no knockback. Natural combo into dSmash.​
Bthrow​
Grabs enemy with right hand and shoves them behind him. Meanwhile, equips shield in the left. Tosses shield at dazed enemy, and it bounces back to him.​
Uthrow​
Uppercuts enemy, and then grabs dazed enemy by the feet and throws them upwards.​
Dthrow​
Pulls enemy in and turns them around. Stabs them in the neck with dagger. Similar to Taki’s throw from the Soul Calibur series. Enemy collapses at his feet. High damage, no knockback.​
Floor​
Slashes both blades on either side​
Edge​
Pulls himself up with his left while slashing vertically with his sword​

Standard B​
Unrelenting Force:​
Fus – Similar size to Lucas’ PSI Magnet. Does minimal damage and trips opponents in range.​
Fus Ro – Makes a projectile which will launch enemies and do damage. Damage and knockback decrease as distance from Dovahkiin increases. Projectile moves slightly over ½ length of Final Destination. Medium recharge time.​
Fus Ro Dah – Projectile travels ¾ of Final Destination. Stronger damage/knockback, but will decay over distance. Also includes a small hitbox directly in front of his mouth which is a OHKO. Extremely long recharge. Kirby’s copy does not have the OHKO hitbox, but also has a slightly shorter recharge.​
Up B​
Dragon Aspect:​
Mul – A small windbox boosts him slightly. Gives barely any height, similar to Robin’s tomeless Elwind or SoPo’s Belay​
Mul Qah – Gains spectral Dragon armor and windbox gives a major boost similar to Wario’s Corkscrew or Lillte Mac’s uppercut. Spectral horns act as a hitbox. Low recharge time.​
Mul Qah Diiv – Spectral armor now includes wings. Higher recovery, which can be angled, and then goes into a glide for a few seconds like Peach’s Parasol. Getting hit or timing it out puts him in free fall. Medium recharge time.​
Side B​
Fire Breath:​
Yol – A quick blast of fire like Mario’s custom Fast Fireball.​
Yol Toor – A stronger fireball, like Bowser’s custom Fire Shot. Low recharge time.​
Yol Toor Shul – A strong fireball that explodes like a Smart Bomb on contact. Leaves a fire on stage for a time. High recharge time.​
Down B​
Ice Form:​
Iiz – A nondamaging windbox on either side, similar to Mario’s custom Gust Cape, but hits both sides of him.​
Iiz Slen – Adds ice damage to the windboxes. Similar to Ice Climbers’ Blizzard. Low recharge time.​
Iiz Slen Nus – Large ice storm similar to Suicune’s Blizzard. High recharge time.​
Final Smash​
Bend Will:​
Shouts “Gol Hah Dov” to force a dragon to land, then climbs aboard and it flies off. It hovers in the background while the player shoots a jet of fire similar to Lucario’s Final Smash Aura Storm.​

I also came up with some other possible animations for the Dragonborn:
Appearance​
Dismounts from a horse, and then unsheathes his sword and dagger.​
Idle 1​
Stretches shoulders and flexes blades menacingly. Similar to idle animations for bandits in Skyrim.​
Idle 2​
Sheathes dagger, adjusts helmet/hair, and then pulls dagger back out.​
Taunt 1​
Pulls out a war horn with his left hand, shouts “Victory or Sovngarde!” and blasts.​
Taunt 2​
Pulls out a tankard with his left hand and toasts the enemy (“For Skyrim!”) before downing it. 1/10 chance that he will pull a jug of milk instead.​
Taunt 3​
Equips his shield and smacks the shield twice with his sword. Similar to one of the bandit idle animations, or Wonder Woman’s entrance in Injustice
Victory 1​
Camera zooms around as if it were a dragon as Dovahkiin looks up at it. Name appears right as camera flies in close and he shouts.​
Victory 2​
Dovahkiin kneels in prayer and seems to be absorbing a soul. Name appears as he looks up and opens his eyes.​
Victory 3​
Dovahkiin flies in on Paarthurnax. He dismounts and name appears as he looks heroically outward.​

The most obvious would be a simple trophy based on the Dragonborn’s wallpaper art in the image above. Some others could include Alduin atop a Word Wall, the shrine of Azura, or a Shrine to Talos.

Assuming Smash Run, or some adventure mode, returns, the Draugr would make excellent generic enemies as the blue-eyed ice zombies of Skyrim. Other smaller, yet common, enemies could include the Dwarven Spider or sphere automatons or Frostbite Spiders, the first creatures fought in game.

A Boss mode could also use Alduin. Besides, any current dracoform bosses should finally be made playable, so that fighting style will need to be refilled. Alduin could use his special Dragon Storm Call shout which calls a meteor storm.

Of course, the music for these stages could come from the game itself. The Main theme is undeniably impressive, and would fit nicely on any of the above stages. Watch the Skies is another amazing piece that plays while fighting a dragon, and comes with that incredible fighting spirit.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but since the announcement and all the fun news we got at E3 (including the Ridley reveal trailer proceeding just like the Smash4 trailers), I think this topic could be fun to bring back.

So here's my absolute dream trailer:

---

*Smash Logo appears with two slashes as in 4, but not with the fire* *yelp of a Wolf or other creature being killed from BotW*
*black BG opens up to reveal Link with his sword out (implying he just sliced the screen), with Ike (alt costume) and Robin (female) nearby. You don't see much background, but it looks mountanous.

Cut to the trio walking through a medieval-style town. Link is holding a few pieces of Gourmet meat, while the other two are just going along. As they walk, the camera pulls back to reveal it's actually set in Whiterun and they're walking up to the marketplace. Some of the civilians are recognizable, like Jon Battle-Born and Olava the Feeble.

A loud Dragon screech is heard and everyone looks around scared.

A dragon lands on top of the Bannered Mare. Link drops the meat and pulls out his bow. Ike and Robin get into fighting stances, as all of the civilians are running around screaming. The dragon rears up and shoots a fireball at our heroes...

Cut to everyone running toward the gates of town. Again, a few faces like Ysolda are recognizable. Nazeem trips and falls running. The camera stays near the ground as a pair of leather boots starts walking toward the dragon.

Everything starts to play out like the Skyrim Live-Action trailer. We follow the challenger toward the Dragon as we pan up to see his iconic helmet. When the Dragonborn is finally facing the dragon, the camera rotates around to show his face and he shouts...

Dovahkiin Shouts Down the Competition!

*Shortened version of Dovahkiin's theme starts as in-game footage is shown. A lot of standard attacks showing him being badass, but there are a few key comical vignettes:*
*Young Link shoots an arrow, which happens to hit Dovahkiin in the knee. He collapses as if a hidden Jigglypuff puts him to sleep*
*Dovahkiin and his female alt costume (looks like Lydia) are together with a Barrel between them. He taunts and runs off in one direction, while she picks up the barrel and slowly trudges after him*
*Dovahkiin's neutral special is a chargeable Unrelenting Force shout. He stands facing a Kirby wearing his iconic helmet and uses the lowest level "Fus" on him. Kirby is staggered but nothing much happens. Kirby then unleashes the fully-charged "Fus Ro Dah" and launches Dovahkiin*

*The set ends with Dovahkiin's final Smash on a new High Hrothgar stage. He uses the Call Dragon shout, and then channels Daenerys Targaryen and roasts the stage like in Game of Thrones' Loot Train attack.*

*Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Logo comes onscreen*

Cut back to Dovahkiin standing in the Whiterun market over the skeletal remains of the dragon. A piercing screech is heard, and the camera follows his view to a mountaintop, where Ridley is silhouetted against the sky. He jumps down and starts to fly towards the camera as it cuts to black.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Predictions:
this isnt a smash direct so I really doubt we'll get as many characters as last month's direct

dezeray112

Smash Hero
That's 11PM in the UK so it's gonna be a late night.

Still, better than it running while I'm at work.
Should be able to stay awake for the Direct. After its one hour before my actual birthday!

WHAT?

Holy **** it's coming! And this is right before my Birthday, so I'm praying for a Happy Birthday Tails and Dovahkiin.

Hey, Happy birthday to you too! Mine's the day after.
Thanks! Happy Birthday to you too!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Any of these announcements will make me super happy:
Saki Amamiya (with Isa echo)
Kat & Ana
Amy Rose
Klonoa

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I predict we'll only get one character, maybe an echo too.

It's possible we get nothing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom