• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
My predictions:
- Animal Crossing Switch, with Isabelle echo (splash card and gameplay only, no trailer)
- either Launch Trailer for Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country, or announcement of Xenoblade X Director’s Cut. Followed by Elma Smash trailer
- Waddle Dee trailer at the very end
That would be so much and I'd love it. I'm honestly only expecting 1 newcomer and maybe an echo tie in.

Last direct I expected 1 newcomer and 2 echoes max so hopefully I'm wrong again :)

Also...slightly unrelated to smash...but why is everyone freaking out and hating the new online service. Even if it's barely any different from now it's only $20 a year. Even if you don't have a job that's literally less than $2 a month. I just can't get upset at something that in the end will matter so little.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeeee, waking up to a Direct is always better than constantly resetting the clock every hour. My hope is that Mimique's luck streak continues and Isaac's revealed. An additional hope that we see a new stage to definitively show there's more than 103 stages.

Of course, my pipe dream is Banjo & Kazooie announcement along with an N64 classic with Rare titles. Don't judge, I'm still waking up and dreaming.

I’m in class at 6. Poo.
Don't you work at a VCR repair shop, Jay?

D

Deleted member

To those who doubt we'll get a newcomer reveal tomorrow, reminder that, in Smash 4 days, :4luigi:, :4sonic:, :rosalina:, :4littlemac:, :4lucas: and :4cloud: were announced in general Directs broadcasted for all territories.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
GOOGLE alerted me to a game on Resetera:

• Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
    One new fighter
    One echo fighter
    One assist trophy
    One stage (with bosses/hazards)

You may also specify

alternate fighter costumes
    franchise trophies
    stage music
    reveal trailer
Eh it sounded more fun before before I posted.
Character: Reimu Hakurei
Echo: Sanae Kochiya
Assist: Marisa Kirisame
Stage: Hakurei Shrine
Boss: Too many potential bosses that I can't really decide.... One of the EX bosses maybe?

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Nice. I get out of class at 5:30 so I'll be here just in time. Now for predictions:

Realistic: Probably just Skull Kid or Incineroar.

Pipe Dream: Skull Kid and Geno are both revealed in the same trailer. Young Link is walking through the forest when Skull Kid shows up and fights him. After some Skull Kid gameplay and footage of Young Link's Final Smash, Young Link is on the ropes. Then, Geno shows up and starts fighting Skull Kid himself. I swear if both characters are revealed in this exact way I will squeal. Of course, the likelihood of that actually happening is very slim.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Predicting a Metroid Prime 4 trailer and some gameplay. Hell, I'm betting it'll get a good chunk of the Direct.

As for characters, my heart wants Geno, but I'm gonna agree with CaptainAmerica and say it'll be a well-known character. We've gotten mostly fan favorites so far, I'm betting they need to fill some sort of "characters to represent newer games" quota.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Character: Reimu Hakurei
Echo: Sanae Kochiya
Assist: Marisa Kirisame
Stage: Hakurei Shrine
Boss: Too many potential bosses that I can't really decide.... One of the EX bosses maybe?
Character: Persona 3 Hero
Echo: Persona 4 Hero
Assist: Aegis
Stage: Entrance of Tartarus
Boss: Arcana Magician, probably

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If there is a Smash reveal tomorrow, which I kinda doubt, I think a character that isn't on the hype level of :ultridley::ultkrool: but also pretty requested is gonna get revealed. Only ones that come to mind that fit this are Isabelle or Bandanna Waddle Dee. A general direct just feels like an idea time to reveal characters like that.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I present to everyone here. The Ultimate roster made with Ultimate in mind for the Ultimate Smash Bros. This is my most Ultimate Roster.

While the leaks that have came out somewhat influenced because of “hey, that would be cool”, I tried to base the expanded roster based on Ultimate. It has your iconic characters, your requested characters, new characters, old characters, and even a few oddballs that I personally want. It is Ultimate.

I’ll elaborate on my choices in a later post.
Thoughts on this roster?
So here’s the run down of my roster. I know I had some odd choices but hopefully my explanation might help:

My roster has a whopping total of 87 characters. I admit - that’s a lot. I’m not even a have of large rosters but for what I wanted to create, it ended up being that big.

Aside from the confirmed newcomers, my roster includes 20 total characters including Echoes.

Overview
  1. Isaac
  2. Geno
  3. Impa
  4. Shadow
  5. Isabelle
  6. Elma
  7. Banjo-Kazooie
  8. Decidueye
  9. Lloyd Irving
  10. Shadow Mewtwo
  11. Dixie Kong
  12. Rhythm Heaven (tentative name)
  13. Skull Kid
  14. Ken Masters
  15. Springman
  16. Rex & Pyra
  17. Crash Bandicoot
  18. Scorpion
  19. Heihachi
  20. Master Chief

Of that number, the following are a Echoes:

Impa: :ultsheik:
Shadow: :ultsonic:
Isabelle: :ultvillager:
Shadow Mewtwo: :ultmewtwo:
Dixie Kong: :ultdiddy:
Ken: :ultryu:

And of my roster, 3rd party characters includes:

Capcom: Ken
Namco: Lloyd, Heihachi
Sega: Shadow
Square: Geno
Microsoft: Banjo, Master Chief
Netherworld: Scorpion
Activision: Crash

So my roster introduces the following series aside from Splatoon and Castlevania:

1. Golden Sun
  2. Rhythm Heaven
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  4. Xenoblade Chronickes 2
  5. ARMs
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. Tekken
  8. Super Mario RPG
  9. Tales of Symphonia
  10. Halo
  11. Mortal Kombat

Layout
As Sakurai said, the entire roster has to be unlocked which I suspect a potebtial interactive story mode may be the main way to unlock them. So all of my characters except for DLC had to be unlocked.

In addition, I suspect this game may be the last Smash for a long time when it potentially (and enviably) reboots. That being said, I can see Nintendo slowly releasing DLC as time goes on so anywhere from 2019 to 2022 or beyond.

My roster mixes both launch and dlc characters do here’s my DLC line up in no particular order:
  1. Decidueye
  2. Springman
  3. Ken Masters
  4. Rex & Pyra
  5. Crash
  6. Heihachi
  7. Scorpion
  8. Master Chief
Of that list, Ken is the only Echo as I figured that a long DLC development period could help produce original fighters. Ken is in the DLC purely because I couldn’t justify Capcom getting all 3 out of the bat.

Reasonings
Some if my choices may seem strange while others maybe predictable.

1. Isaac: popular and fan demand since Brawl
  2. Geno: same as above and also Mii costume.
  3. Impa: iconic LoZ character/potential for Shiek Echo Uses a combination of BoTW inspired plus SS Impa look.
  4. Shadow: leaks and absence of Assist Trophy. Would prefer Eggman as second Sonic Rep tho.
  5. Isabelle: leaks and absence of Assist Trophy. Mii costume
  6. Elma: popular character and Wii U representative. Dual gun and blade user.
  7. Banjo-Kazooie: massively requested and iconic. Total hype character.
  8. Decidueye: either this or Inciberor. Went with the owl. Gen 7 Rep. Pokken.
  9. Lloyd Irving: Iconic JRPG character. Tales has a lasting legacy with Nintendo. GameCube era icon. Mii costume.
  10. Shadow Mewtwo: easy to implement Echo and Pokken rep. More eviler than mewtwo. Pokémon’s villain.
  11. Dixie Kong: detests the idea of her being an echo but it looks like it’ll happen.
  12. Rhythm Heaven (tentative name): represents the whole series in the moveset. Different characters. RH was potentially supposed to get a character in a Smash 4.
  13. Skull Kid: no Assist Trophy. Popular Zelda villain. Zelda’s Ridley/Dark Samus and Simon/Richter situation and possibly K Rool and Dixie.
  14. Ken Masters: original echo. Easy to implement. Trophy.
  15. Springman: Represents the Switch. Moderately well-liked. Antithesis of Little Mac.
  16. Rex & Pyra: Switch Rep. from popular new game. Potentially interesting gameplay mechanic.
  17. Crash Bandicoot: gaming icon. Would be an impact in the gaming community.
  18. Scorpion: an oddball choice. Represents Western fighting games. Kirby saying “Get over here”. Blood and violence can be toned down but make Scorpion even more savage. Villain.
  19. Heihachi: prefer Nightmare or KOS-MOS but an iconic character. Villain.
  20. Master Chief: mr Shooting game. Hype beyond hype. End of the intetrnet. Smash wins bet game for eternity hands down.
Honorable Mentions

Here are some potential characters I almost included:
Dillon
Yuuri (Fatal Frame)
Urban Champion
Mach rider
Really any retro rep.
Incineror
Gardevoir
Ribbon Girl (echo of Springman)
Funky Kong (echo of Donkey Kong)
Celica (echo of Robin)
Sami (echo of Snake)
Monster Hunter
Altair (Assassin’s Creed)
Ray-Man
Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
Spyro
Dragonborn (Elder Scrolls V Skyrim)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Son Goku (Dragon Ball)

I’ll
be adding onto this later with character information and potential movesets and additional info

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There’s a Nintendo Direct tomorrow?!

Well, maybe we might get a newcomer or two tomorrow. But remember, Nintendo Direct =/= Smash Direct.

Smash Direct = 100% guarantee we will get a newcomer
Nintendo Direct = 50% chance we might get a newcomer
Nindie Direct = 0% chance we will get a newcomer

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
GOOGLE alerted me to a game on Resetera:

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Eh it sounded more fun before before I posted.
I know we're in direct hype mode but this game looks fun

New Fighter: Lara Croft

New echo fighter: Doppelganger? Would be a weird choice but it's really the only choice

Assist: Amanda evert and the unknown entity

New stage:
Option a) Lost Island
Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 15.45.39.png

Falling pillars are a hazard, natla is the stage boss

Option B) Lost Valley
Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 15.46.45.png

Naturally the T-Rex is a stage boss, raptors are also enemies

Fighter costumes:
Lara has 8 totally unique costumes in total, she has
- Anniversary outfit
- Underworld pants outfit
- Angel of darkness outfit
- Biker outfit from Legend
- Winter outfit from Legend
- Croft Manor casual (sweatpants and a sports bra)
- Catsuit from Chronicles
- Young Lara from the last revelation

Trophies:
- Lara
- Lara Final smash
- T-Rex
- Raptor
- Natla
- Amanda
- Unknown Entity
- Alister
- Zip
- Winston

Reveal trailer:
Not sure what it would be but she needs to fight samus and bayo

Last edited:

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
There’s a Nintendo Direct tomorrow?!

Well, maybe we might get a newcomer or two tomorrow. But remember, Nintendo Direct =/= Smash Direct.

Smash Direct = 100% guarantee we will get a newcomer
Nintendo Direct = 50% chance we might get a newcomer
Nindie Direct = 0% chance we will get a newcomer
We need the retweet of sakurai first.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Nintendo really needs to learn how to put an proper timezone. The direct starts at midnight for me.
That's a little unfair. It's being broadcast globally at the exact same time to everyone.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there is a Smash reveal tomorrow, which I kinda doubt, I think a character that isn't on the hype level of :ultridley::ultkrool: but also pretty requested is gonna get revealed. Only ones that come to mind that fit this are Isabelle or Bandanna Waddle Dee. A general direct just feels like an idea time to reveal characters like that.
I'd say Geno or Isaac would be saved for last so if we are getting someone tomorrow my bets are

Isabelle, BWD (Like you said), Pokemon newcomer, Skull Kid (If he's still happening), Shantae (I CAN DREAM!) and given that they'll make a bigger deal of them even if they are echos, Shadow and or Ken.

KMDP

Smash Legend
this isnt a smash direct so I really doubt we'll get as many characters as last month's direct
There is... one way we can get as many characters in this direct as last time.

...put them all in one trailer. >_>

Untouch

Smash Master
I have a feeling that if we're getting a newcomer announced it won't be from a new series.
Only reason I feel this way is that they'd need a new stage, and when simon/ricther were announced they talked about the stage a lot. That's why the direct ended with K Rool, no stage to talk about
So I feel it's going to be Skull Kid, we already have a MM related stage so it'd be safe to end on.

Of course again, this is just looking at patterns that may not exist.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Back during pre-release Smash For period, did any Direct happen where they didn't reveal a newcomer? I can't remember one.
I don't think there was but this hype cycle has been full of changes from what we know. For better and for worse.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
We are probably getting one character at most this time with the promise of a larger direct in the middle of November. Nothing more. Nothing less. This is not a smash direct, they cannot focus all their time on it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We need the retweet of sakurai first.
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed he didn't retweet every direct that had a newcomer last Smash. That's why Rosalina was such a surprise (I think it was her direct, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If there isn't any Smash though...then they must be covering something good and new (Prime 4? Bayo 3?) Otherwise this direct is gunna fall flat.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed he didn't retweet every direct that had a newcomer last Smash. That's why Rosalina was such a surprise (I think it was her direct, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If there isn't any Smash though...then they must be covering something good and new (Prime 4? Bayo 3?) Otherwise this direct is gunna fall flat.
Rosalina is a very VERY weird one.
Not only was she announced in the middle of the direct, her announcement came out of nowhere without even starting with the "swish" for character reveals.
That's why it upset so many people, it looked like Kirby in Mario Kart.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So here’s the run down of my roster. I know I had some odd choices but hopefully my explanation might help:

My roster has a whopping total of 87 characters. I admit - that’s a lot. I’m not even a have of large rosters but for what I wanted to create, it ended up being that big.

Aside from the confirmed newcomers, my roster includes 20 total characters including Echoes.

Overview
  1. Isaac
  2. Geno
  3. Impa
  4. Shadow
  5. Isabelle
  6. Elma
  7. Banjo-Kazooie
  8. Decidueye
  9. Lloyd Irving
  10. Shadow Mewtwo
  11. Dixie Kong
  13. Skull Kid
  14. Ken Masters
  15. Springman
  16. Rex & Pyra
  17. Crash Bandicoot
  18. Scorpion
  19. Heihachi
  20. Master Chief

So my roster introduces the following series aside from Splatoon and Castlevania:

1. Golden Sun
  2. Rhythm Heaven
  5. ARMs
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. Tekken
  8. Super Mario RPG
  9. Tales of Symphonia
  10. Halo
  11. Mortal Kombat

Layout
As Sakurai said, the entire roster has to be unlocked which I suspect a potebtial interactive story mode may be the main way to unlock them. So all of my characters except for DLC had to be unlocked.

In addition, I suspect this game may be the last Smash for a long time when it potentially (and enviably) reboots. That being said, I can see Nintendo slowly releasing DLC as time goes on so anywhere from 2019 to 2022 or beyond.

My roster mixes both launch and dlc characters do here’s my DLC line up in no particular order:
  1. Decidueye
  2. Springman
  3. Ken Masters
  4. Rex & Pyra
  5. Crash
  6. Heihachi
  7. Scorpion
  8. Master Chief
Of that list, Ken is the only Echo as I figured that a long DLC development period could help produce original fighters. Ken is in the DLC purely because I couldn’t justify Capcom getting all 3 out of the bat.

Reasonings

3. Impa: iconic LoZ character/potential for Shiek Echo Uses a combination of BoTW inspired plus SS Impa look.
  4. Shadow: leaks and absence of Assist Trophy. Would prefer Eggman as second Sonic Rep tho.
  9. Lloyd Irving: Iconic JRPG character. Tales has a lasting legacy with Nintendo. GameCube era icon. Mii costume.
  10. Shadow Mewtwo: easy to implement Echo and Pokken rep. More eviler than mewtwo. Pokémon’s villain.
  11. Dixie Kong: detests the idea of her being an echo but it looks like it’ll happen.
  12. Rhythm Heaven (tentative name): represents the whole series in the moveset. Different characters. RH was potentially supposed to get a character in a Smash 4.
  13. Skull Kid: no Assist Trophy. Popular Zelda villain. Zelda’s Ridley/Dark Samus and Simon/Richter situation and possibly K Rool and Dixie.
  15. Springman: Represents the Switch. Moderately well-liked. Antithesis of Little Mac.
  16. Rex & Pyra: Switch Rep. from popular new game. Potentially interesting gameplay mechanic.
  18. Scorpion: an oddball choice. Represents Western fighting games. Kirby saying “Get over here”. Blood and violence can be toned down but make Scorpion even more savage. Villain.
  20. Master Chief: mr Shooting game. Hype beyond hype. End of the intetrnet. Smash wins bet game for eternity hands down.
Honorable Mentions

Dillon
Yuuri (Fatal Frame)
Urban Champion
Mach rider
Really any retro rep.
Incineror
Gardevoir
Celica (echo of Robin)
Sami (echo of Snake)
Monster Hunter
Ray-Man
Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
Spyro
Son Goku (Dragon Ball)

I’ll be adding onto this later with character information and potential movesets and additional info
Nice roster. I am really expecting that Smash may end up getting this big. I can't wait for this all-star mode.

Of course, I'd like it more if you promoted up a certain one of your honorable mentions... :awesome:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What if... there is no smash tommorow.
Looks like we have nothing Smash-related to talk about this Direct, everyone. Pack it up, see you in October.

;)

I don't think we'll be getting much Smash related. In fact, in all likelihood it's a first party character nobody would be surprised is in. And certainty little to no online talk. Though, how early it is, plus the datamine, makes me less certain.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Overview
  1. Isaac
  2. Geno
  3. Impa
  4. Shadow
  5. Isabelle
  6. Elma
  7. Banjo-Kazooie
  8. Decidueye
  9. Lloyd Irving
  10. Shadow Mewtwo
  11. Dixie Kong
  13. Skull Kid
  14. Ken Masters
  15. Springman
  16. Rex & Pyra
  17. Crash Bandicoot
  18. Scorpion
  19. Heihachi
  20. Master Chief

1. Golden Sun
  2. Rhythm Heaven
  5. ARMs
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. Tekken
  8. Super Mario RPG
  9. Tales of Symphonia
  10. Halo
  11. Mortal Kombat

Layout

1. Decidueye
  2. Springman
  3. Ken Masters
  4. Rex & Pyra
  5. Crash
  6. Heihachi
  7. Scorpion
  8. Master Chief

Reasonings

Honorable Mentions

Dillon
Yuuri (Fatal Frame)
Urban Champion
Mach rider
Really any retro rep.
Incineror
Gardevoir
Celica (echo of Robin)
Sami (echo of Snake)
Monster Hunter
Ray-Man
Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)
Spyro
Son Goku (Dragon Ball)

I’ll be adding onto this later with character information and potential movesets and additional info
I absolutely love this roster, especially the inclusion of Master Chief. All excellent choices. Hoping the final roster post dlc is close to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom