• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually I'm curious. Does Nintendo have any ownership of the Pokemon anime?

Because Team Rocket is the only anime character I want to see.
Meowth, Dat's Right.
Of course they have ownership, why wouldn't they?

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Yeah, i think i'm gonna go bold with this but i think his inclusion in a SMASH like game means that Ubi is trying to tell us all something
I agree. And I believe they are telling us the following: "Please enjoy him in Brawlhalla, and don't expect him in anything else..." As bad as I want him in Smash, why does this give me a bad vibe..?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I never got Ridley fans. He's just some edgy, emo, villain that doesn't deserve to come back to the Leaf Vi- I mean base roster.
It's the same reason people like Bowser-Kun, or Ganon-Sama, or Dedede-Senpai.
people like the villain characters in there video games anime.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
About "Jones" bleeding into the render part: it could happen maybe? I mean have we seen Mr. Game & Watch in that screen? Or a 8-player match with characters with long names? Even tho yeah "Mike Jones" isn't that long

However Mike's render looks too 2D to me. All those guys could try making hoaxes with the illustration, maybe they could have more success :p

With that said, I wish this was real :c

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Friendly reminder: Boss, stage, assist trophy, and item representation are all Sakurai recognizing those IP, not trashing them. If a character you love gets in as one of the above be happy, not mad. Skull Kid boss is an upgrade from AT. Nothing to be mad at.
Yup. Just read on how he described assist trophies on the Dojo, or how he featured Bomberman, Shovel Knight, and Rathalos as "wow they're in the game in some capacity!!"

For fans it tends to be playable or bust. I got it with Ridley as at that point people were starved for him after three boss appearances but I'd argue those roles helped craft a playable fighter out of him in Sakurai's mind in time. In Smash 4 it was the roots for a playable Ridley being formed but not yet realized.

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, even Source Gaming's PushDustin thinks Vergeben is legit. Say what you will about Ol' Vergeben, but when some of the biggest people in gaming (Easy Allies, Gamexplain, Super Best Friends, etc.) are talking about your rumors, you've made it to the big leagues.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I never thought his chances were all that great to begin with but it certainly doesn't help. Worse that it's not even a deconfirmation or anything it just makes me feel like he's unlikely.

I'd rather take a bullet to the head than one in the gut, and I'd rather see it coming than for it to be a surprise

Chrono.

About "Jones" bleeding into the render part: it could happen maybe? I mean have we seen Mr. Game & Watch in that screen? Or a 8-player match with characters with long names? Even tho yeah "Mike Jones" isn't that long

However Mike's render looks too 2D to me. All those guys could try making hoaxes with the illustration, maybe they could have more success :p

Longest name we've seen so far is Young Link, and his name doesn't spill into the render.

maxresdefault (32).jpg

I think they'd keep it consistent like that.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Shadow is one of the most likely characters to become a fighter in Smash (followed by Tails)

I wouldn’t say they suck...they’ve made some great songs (though of course I only know their Sonic songs...unless that’s all they have)
I really have no idea why people think Sonic is going to get skipped. Given that two of the echoes are literally Dark versions of characters, it's a no brainer that we're getting Shadow at the very least.

lolno

D

Deleted member

We haven't seen Mr. Game & Watch, but we have seen Captain Falcon:

So yeah, it's fake.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Alright, I'm gonna bring the hottest of hot takes ever:
If anime ever got a representative in Smash, Goku would not be the first one to represent it.

Now you're thinking I lost it. Goku's like the big boy of the big boy of anime, how could I say this? What if I told you that a company that already has the most third party reps in the game (right now) has one that's adored on a similar scale both East and West?

Did you forget Konami owns the rights to most of View attachment 161434?

Yeah, you heard me right. The only thing Konami doesn't own is the manga itself (Shueisha's *****). But the anime? The card game? The video games for the anime? The video games for the card game? The video games for the anime of the card games? They own all of it. Partially thanks to 4Kids, because after they went bankrupt, Konami swooped in and took all of that sweet sweet Western distribution rights to own the anime's dub, the one thing they couldn't own at the time.

Yu-Gi-Oh is ****ing big, it's in the trio of card game kings among the Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering. The anime is also just as large, one of the longest going card game anime of all time. And if it ain't Konami, it ain't with its own large gacha mobile game that panders to nostalgia just as hard as Game Freak does with Pokemon. It's adorned globally, though we all know it's less than Dragon Ball, I do have an argument to present. Gaining the ability to use it would be so much easier than trying to bargain with Toei to get Dragon Ball. I'll just leave you with that thought.

so yeah yugi for smash i guess
or maybe not
how about just dan green and eric stuart echo for smash
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bandai Namco, the company literally developing Ultimate, own the rights to Goku in video games? Konami seems pretty friendly this time around but Bandai Namco is basically a first-party when it comes to actually making Smash, so wouldn't that make for a much easier inclusion?

Combine this with Goku's immense amount of requests, and I don't see how another anime character can get in before him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Semi-Hot Take: Ash is the only anime character that'd remotely make sense in Smash, whether or not people like him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bandai Namco, the company literally developing Ultimate, own the rights to Goku in video games? Konami seems pretty friendly this time around but Bandai Namco is basically a first-party when it comes to actually making Smash, so wouldn't that make for a much easier inclusion?

Combine this with Goku's immense amount of requests, and I don't see how another anime character can get in before him.
That's just one portion of the rights, though.
I don't see Bandai mentioned at the end of these anime OPs.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Actually I'm curious. Does Nintendo have any ownership of the Pokemon anime?

Because Team Rocket is the only anime character I want to see.
Meowth, Dat's Right.
Well Team Rocket have already been implemented in the games before (and will once more with the whole “Let’s Go” games), so...Team Rocket for Smash Ultimate (without Meowth) or Smash 6/7 (with Meowth)

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, Ike's the new blog post.
I forgot:
9/2/2018

Today's Fighter
#32: Ike
Ike's side smash attack is extremely powerful, but it leaves him open, so you'll need to read your opponent's moves carefully. You can choose between his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn costumes.

Edit: Nothing interesting, really.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Then in that case; oi; Sakurai. Slap in Jessie, James and Meowth already. They're far more iconic to Pokemon than any potential 'current gen rep' is ever going to be.
I dunno. Sakurai may have an issue characters that originated from the Anime, even though Pokemon itself started as a video game.
That's probably why Ash himself isn't playable.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Nah, we haven't had the 2 year time-skip yet. Sakurai hasn't trained to improve his Smash-Fanbase-Requests haki yet, meaning there's no way he could defeat De-confirmation-san and the Limited Dev Time Organization.

He may, however, stand a chance if he masters Ultra Instinct from his trainer the Nine-Tailed fox, but even then he'd still have to overcome escaping SAO with Joseph Joestar. And all that's before he even inherits One for All!
Well good thing Sakurai has a simple exercise routine...
100 pushups
100 squats
100 situps
and a 10km run.

It may not be enough but I'm sure he'll be fine.
If anime ever got a representative in Smash, Goku would not be the first one to represent it.

Now you're thinking I lost it. Goku's like the big boy of the big boy of anime, how could I say this? What if I told you that a company that already has the most third party reps in the game (right now) has one that's adored on a similar scale both East and West?

Yeah, you heard me right. The only thing Konami doesn't own is the manga itself (Shueisha's *****). But the anime? The card game? The video games for the anime? The video games for the card game? The video games for the anime of the card games? They own all of it. Partially thanks to 4Kids, because after they went bankrupt, Konami swooped in and took all of that sweet sweet Western distribution rights to own the anime's dub, the one thing they couldn't own at the time.

Yu-Gi-Oh is ****ing big, it's in the trio of card game kings among the Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering. The anime is also just as large, one of the longest going card game anime of all time. And if it ain't Konami, it ain't with its own large gacha mobile game that panders to nostalgia just as hard as Game Freak does with Pokemon. It's adorned globally, though we all know it's less than Dragon Ball, I do have an argument to present. Gaining the ability to use it would be so much easier than trying to bargain with Toei to get Dragon Ball. I'll just leave you with that thought.

or maybe not
Yugi is the King of Games. Just stepping on the field means victory, but I unironically would be hyped to play as him.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

or maybe not
If He fought anything like how he did in Jump Ultimate Stars he would be pretty cool.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I sure didn’t. And I thought it sealed the deal. Luckily you guys are here to keep me calm.
I mean, at worst he might get in Smash U as DLC. He's already been in Smash 4 as a regular trophy and he was heavily requested so i can see them making him a full character
>what about the CommanderVideo trophy? Why don't they make him a character too?
Indie VS character from a 25 million sales franchise

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Semi-Hot Take: Ash is the only anime character that'd remotely make sense in Smash, whether or not people like him.
Ash is mentioned by name in Pokemon Trainer's Smash 4 trophy: "Pop quiz! What do Misty, Brock, Cynthia, Iris, and Ash all have in common? That's right—they're all Pokémon Trainers!"

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Clones are bosses too. Metal Mario is 100% a boss in every way. He's literally a roadblock with unique differences from other playable characters that is meant to stop you from advancing. He's just not a "final boss". No different from Giga Bowser in any way. Yes, like Giant DK they didn't really do much to make the boss feel super unique(bar their stat differences), but he's still a clone created to be a Single Player Mode Boss for you to beat. It doesn't really matter in any way if they used the assets of a previous character to create him, because that changes nothing. It's nitpicky because it's a severely irrelevant point to what a boss really is. Giant Bowser in Adventure Mode is a boss too. So is Giga Bowser. And all the big enemies from SSE, some being mid-bosses in a small few cases(who are less notable, but still like all bosses, a roadblock stopping you from progressing).

It's kind of neat that Sakurai created multiple bosses without making his own OC in the first game(as all he created on his own was Master Hand, and remade multiple characters into proper bosses that you couldn't play as). And continued with the Fighting Teams in every game, making them a unique set of bosses(in certain modes) to try and stop you. They don't exist for anything else, anyway.
Lol, I never said they weren't, but this is a completely unique character we're talking about.

Chrono.

I wonder how he'd be represented if he ever made it in.

His most iconic Pokemon are in other spots already.

Roberk

Smash Champion
That's just one portion of the rights, though.
I don't see Bandai mentioned at the end of these anime OPs.
But when it comes to video games, Bandai Namco is the name for DragonBall stuff. Sure, they don't own the anime rights, but this is a video game, not an anime. What matters is the video game part, and Goku gets that direct line through Bandai Namco's extreme influence on Ultimate while Konami is just another third-party.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Ubisoft OWNS Blue Mammoth Games (the company behind the game), they purchased them several months ago. This means they can add whatever character they want from their franchises in and it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.
No, that's not necessarily true. If they signed a contract with Nintendo with a non-compete clause, they couldn't even in their own game.

This is literally exactly what happened with Disney that is preventing the recent Star Wars movies from being on their streaming platform when it launches.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I had this super brilliant idea that they could bring the Classic Character trophies from Melee by having them be in the original model they were in by the game they debuted in, and then I realized the Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers would look pretty much the same on most aspects.

i still want the gimmick to be back though I thought it was cool

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Lol, I never said they weren't, but this is a completely unique character we're talking about.
Thing is despite Skull Kid's size I can totally see him working as a Subspace type of boss. One that just floats around screen constantly and throws magic bs at you, then when you manage to hit him enough times transforms into Majora as a second form

Roberk

Smash Champion

One of my dream newcomers is a playable Pokemon trainer that fights on their own, maybe he could be like that. Using items, some standard punches and kicks drawn from the show, etc. He could maybe even summon some small Pokemon if for some extra utility if he has to have Pokemon in his moveset.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
No, that's not necessarily true. If they signed a contract with Nintendo with a non-compete clause, they couldn't even in their own game.

This is literally exactly what happened with Disney that is preventing the recent Star Wars movies from being on their streaming platform when it launches.
That doesn't make sense, Brawlhalla has been out for years and including a character in doesn't mean that they're trying to compete against Nintendo

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm guessing you made a typo, but he's not a reskin regardless.

He's actually a separate file as playable status in Smash 64. Meanwhile, Dark Link in Event Mode in Melee is literally them reskinning regular Link with zero differences using a black palette. Meanwhile, Metal Mario was his own separate character cloned from Mario as a fightable Boss. Though a lot of games do this, having unique bosses based heavily on another character.

But yeah, the term "reskin" is extremely misleading since this is actually not as common in Smash as people think. It does happen, but most of these NPC Boss fights are original characters are fully separated non-playable Clones. Melee does introduce them using an Item or Physical Stage style(whatever term you wish to use. Metal Mario and Metal Luigi are basically infused with the Metal Box permanently, not unlike the Metal Fight during Classic Mode. They're just regular bosses to beat, just not entirely reskins nor clones this time. I think the only real reskins in a single player mode besides obviously them using a different costume from you, like if you choose Mario and face the Mario Bros., would be the weird guys you fight in the SSE, the Shadow Bug variants, if I remember what they are during the Great Maze correctly).

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Make him Pikachu's Pokemon Trainer in the background, surely. He'd be added as a cameo rather than a fighter imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom