• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
oh wait Ubisoft publishes Brawlhalla lol. Makes lots of sense, Rayman is their most popular character for Smash, so why not take advantage and put him in their own brawler?
even if in the event that Nintendo brings exclusivity contracts for playable third-party guests, I highly doubt they could restrict Ubisoft of using Rayman in their own brawlers. So yeah Rayman could still be happening
Yeah, i think i'm gonna go bold with this but i think his inclusion in a SMASH like game means that Ubi is trying to tell us all something

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Do you think this hidden mode will involve beating up enemies a la SSE or Smash Run? And if so, what new enemies do you want to see?
I think it'll be along the lines of SSE, but with Nintendo characters.
Enemies I'd like to see would be stuff like Mawiles, Sableyes, and Pupitars for the Pokémon side of enemies. Also keep the Sneaky Spirits in as some sort of RH representation. Also some FF and Bayonetta enemies would be dope to see in a themed stage. Same goes for any of the other 3rd and 1st parties that didn't get Smash Run enemies. I'd also like to see some assist trophies and larger enemies as sub bosses if that series didn't receive a major one.
Ex.: If Snake doesn't get like a Metal Gear as a boss for the series, Gray Fox would serve as it.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Sakurai putting Skull Kid in as a boss would be a repeat of Ridley all over again. I thought we were far enough into the manga where he underwent character development to avoid this.
I don't think it would be a full on Ridley repeat since Skull Kid only absolutely blew up in popularity now, but I think Skull Kid would become a new Ridley, kinda like what happened with Waluigi and to an lesser extent Ashley

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What chapter of the Smash Bros Manga are we on again?
I just got done with the chapter where Kirby ate Samus' Mother's ashes.
IDK but with how it feels like nothing is progressing and the last relevant revelation was ages ago we must be in filler.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Sakurai putting Skull Kid in as a boss would be a repeat of Ridley all over again. I thought we were far enough into the manga where he underwent character development to avoid this.
Skull Kid isn't on Ridley's level at all.
Not to mention Sakurai doesn't see boss, assists, or non-playable status as "lesser" representation based on how every game since Brawl has been directed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is all so much.

First Skull Kid is Disconfirmed
Then he's not and Isaac is
Then both of them are unsure
And now Rayman's getting involved...

AND HOW DO THE CHAIRS FACTOR INTO THIS?!

D

Deleted member

Nah, we haven't had the 2 year time-skip yet. Sakurai hasn't trained to improve his Smash-Fanbase-Requests haki yet, meaning there's no way he could defeat De-confirmation-san and the Limited Dev Time Organization.

He may, however, stand a chance if he masters Ultra Instinct from his trainer the Nine-Tailed fox, but even then he'd still have to overcome escaping SAO with Joseph Joestar. And all that's before he even inherits One for All!

Enchess

Smash Lord
Friendly reminder: Boss, stage, assist trophy, and item representation are all Sakurai recognizing those IP, not trashing them. If a character you love gets in as one of the above be happy, not mad. Skull Kid boss is an upgrade from AT. Nothing to be mad at.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Alright, I'm gonna bring the hottest of hot takes ever:
If anime ever got a representative in Smash, Goku would not be the first one to represent it.

Now you're thinking I lost it. Goku's like the big boy of the big boy of anime, how could I say this? What if I told you that a company that already has the most third party reps in the game (right now) has one that's adored on a similar scale both East and West?

Did you forget Konami owns the rights to most of Untitled.png ?

Yeah, you heard me right. The only thing Konami doesn't own is the manga itself (Shueisha's *****). But the anime? The card game? The video games for the anime? The video games for the card game? The video games for the anime of the card games? They own all of it. Partially thanks to 4Kids, because after they went bankrupt, Konami swooped in and took all of that sweet sweet Western distribution rights to own the anime's dub, the one thing they couldn't own at the time.

Yu-Gi-Oh is ****ing big, it's in the trio of card game kings among the Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering. The anime is also just as large, one of the longest going card game anime of all time. And if it ain't Konami, it ain't with its own large gacha mobile game that panders to nostalgia just as hard as Game Freak does with Pokemon. It's adorned globally, though we all know it's less than Dragon Ball, I do have an argument to present. Gaining the ability to use it would be so much easier than trying to bargain with Toei to get Dragon Ball. I'll just leave you with that thought.

so yeah yugi for smash i guess
or maybe not
how about just dan green and eric stuart echo for smash

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A reskin of a fighter in what's essentially a glorified 1v1 isn't what most would call a "boss". Even then, SSE had these moments too, and they were literally for important characters you could play as.

Those types of "boss fights" have never been with a completely new character, and if they were, you could always unlock them. Yes, we can say Skull Kid could be an exception, but as of now, we have absolutely zero basis to even consider this idea a plausible reality, especually when the bosses we have seen seem almost COMPLETELY akin to the grandiose boss fights of SSE or Giga Bowser/The Hands.
They're still unplayable characters and treated as a type of boss.

This is just being nitpicky. Metal Mario was indefinitely a boss in the first game. That was the point. No difference from Giant Donkey Kong or Master Hand. Also, he isn't some reskin at all. He's a completely different character in weight, power, defense, speed, and jumping capability. He's a clone through and through, an NPC one. Metal Mario has never been a "skin" to begin with. He also had unique properties, even as a power-up. Let's not confuse skins that are literally identical otherwise(like alternate costumes) with clones who are overall unique characters that are directly based upon another character.

Let me say this as somebody who has played as every character in Smash 64 via codes. Nobody plays the same whatsoever. Even the Fighting Polygons(another set of clones) have less weight(they float), defense, and can't do as much natural knockback compared to the original. They're super weak and basically barely playable in any way bar, you know, trying to put yourself in an extremely bad position. Even Pichu has more going for it than them. And that's saying something.

Noipoi

Howdy!
IDK but with how it feels like nothing is progressing and the last relevant revelation was ages ago we must be in filler.
I still can't believe K Rool showed up at the end of the last arc.
I thought he was dead after the Super Mario Sluggers saga.
I hope they revive Luigi-san soon...

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
If anime ever got a representative in Smash, Goku would not be the first one to represent it.

Now you're thinking I lost it. Goku's like the big boy of the big boy of anime, how could I say this? What if I told you that a company that already has the most third party reps in the game (right now) has one that's adored on a similar scale both East and West?

Did you forget Konami owns the rights to most of View attachment 161434?

Yeah, you heard me right. The only thing Konami doesn't own is the manga itself (Shueisha's *****). But the anime? The card game? The video games for the anime? The video games for the card game? The video games for the anime of the card games? They own all of it. Partially thanks to 4Kids, because after they went bankrupt, Konami swooped in and took all of that sweet sweet Western distribution rights to own the anime's dub, the one thing they couldn't own at the time.

Yu-Gi-Oh is ****ing big, it's in the trio of card game kings among the Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering. The anime is also just as large, one of the longest going card game anime of all time. And if it ain't Konami, it ain't with its own large gacha mobile game that panders to nostalgia just as hard as Game Freak does with Pokemon. It's adorned globally, though we all know it's less than Dragon Ball, I do have an argument to present. Gaining the ability to use it would be so much easier than trying to bargain with Toei to get Dragon Ball. I'll just leave you with that thought.

or maybe not
I'm gonna add to this hot take and say Square Enix owns all publishing rights of Fullmetal Alchemist lol

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Well, it's just published by Ubisoft, but I still didn't think about that, so you're hopefully right.
Ubisoft OWNS Blue Mammoth Games (the company behind the game), they purchased them several months ago. This means they can add whatever character they want from their franchises in and it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
He was, but the Dragon Ballot revived him.
This show really did go to **** ever since they started abusing the Dragon Ballot. Death doesn't even carry weight anymore with Mario, Megaman, and Luigi

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm gonna add to this hot take and say Square Enix owns all publishing rights of Fullmetal Alchemist lol
>still only two final fantasy songs
Gonna have to put a "yikes" on that one. :p

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
They're still unplayable characters and treated as a type of boss.

This is just being nitpicky. Metal Mario was indefinitely a boss in the first game. That was the point. No difference from Giant Donkey Kong or Master Hand. Also, he isn't some reskin at all. He's a completely different character in weight, power, defense, speed, and jumping capability. He's a clone through and through, an NPC one. Metal Mario has never been a "skin" to begin with. He also had unique properties, even as a power-up. Let's not confuse skins that are literally identical otherwise(like alternate costumes) with clones who are overall unique characters that are directly based upon another character.

Let me say this as somebody who has played as every character in Smash 64 via codes. Nobody plays the same whatsoever. Even the Fighting Polygons(another set of clones) have less weight(they float), defense, and can't do as much natural knockback compared to the original. They're super weak and basically barely playable in any way bar, you know, trying to put yourself in an extremely bad position. Even Pichu has more going for it than them. And that's saying something.
"Reskin" as in, Mario with a metal cpat of paint to him. They never had a completely UNIQUE character, is what I was saying, especially one from a popular series that literally wasn't reusing the model of a character and giving it different assets.

Nitpicking is exactly what we do to speculate, lol. I dunno where you've been.

Chrono.

or maybe not
We already have a scene tailor made to be his final smash.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
For real though, Poppants were the best original SSE enemies by far. Lovely little semi-robotic Delibird sheep. I'm glad they were some of the only SSE enemies brought back for Smash Run.
Personally I also liked the Floows and Shaydas as well, partially because they aesthetichally fit with Tabuu.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
*sighs dejectedly* Until we get SOMETHING sonic, I'm just going ot be crying in the corner as newcomer after newcomer is announced, and people keep getting their biggest hopes, all except sonic fans. *cries*
Shadow is one of the most likely characters to become a fighter in Smash (followed by Tails)
Bruh where have you been?
crush 40 version sucks *** come at me
I wouldn’t say they suck...they’ve made some great songs (though of course I only know their Sonic songs...unless that’s all they have)

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
Ubisoft OWNS Blue Mammoth Games (the company behind the game), they purchased them several months ago. This means they can add whatever character they want from their franchises in and it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.
Really? I actually didn't know that, thanks.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This show really did go to **** ever since they started abusing the Dragon Ballot. Death doesn't even carry weight anymore with Mario, Megaman, and Luigi
It's nice that Ridley-Chan finally got through his character arc though.
He's finally fighting with everyone else instead of being a boss for one episode and then disappearing for the rest of the arc.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
About anime, guys:
what if Nintendo made an anime or manga? As in, a series that clearly, first and foremost, is an anime and/or manga, like Dragonball, Naruto etc.
Game tie-ins could come later, but again: primarily an anime or manga.

What do you think, could it be eligible to Smash? And if yes, could it open for fourth-party characters owned by game companies (Yu-gi-oh, FMA, if you count DBZ from Namco)

I mean I just had this thought and it's a interesting question

edit: with Nintendo's current experiment with movies, the thought could be extended to a Nintendo movie as well

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Reskin" as in, Mario with a metal cpat of paint to him. They never had a completely UNIQUE character, is what I was saying, especially one from a popular series that literally wasn't reusing the model of a character and giving it different assets.

Nitpicking is exactly what we do to speculate, lol. I dunno where you've been.
Clones are bosses too. Metal Mario is 100% a boss in every way. He's literally a roadblock with unique differences from other playable characters that is meant to stop you from advancing. He's just not a "final boss". No different from Giga Bowser in any way. Yes, like Giant DK they didn't really do much to make the boss feel super unique(bar their stat differences), but he's still a clone created to be a Single Player Mode Boss for you to beat. It doesn't really matter in any way if they used the assets of a previous character to create him, because that changes nothing. It's nitpicky because it's a severely irrelevant point to what a boss really is. Giant Bowser in Adventure Mode is a boss too. So is Giga Bowser. And all the big enemies from SSE, some being mid-bosses in a small few cases(who are less notable, but still like all bosses, a roadblock stopping you from progressing).

It's kind of neat that Sakurai created multiple bosses without making his own OC in the first game(as all he created on his own was Master Hand, and remade multiple characters into proper bosses that you couldn't play as). And continued with the Fighting Teams in every game, making them a unique set of bosses(in certain modes) to try and stop you. They don't exist for anything else, anyway.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
About anime, guys:
what if Nintendo made an anime or manga? As in, a series that clearly, first and foremost, is an anime and/or manga, like Dragonball, Naruto etc.
Game tie-ins could come later, but again: primarily an anime or manga.

What do you think, could it be eligible to Smash? And if yes, could it open for fourth-party characters owned by game companies (Yu-gi-oh, FMA, if you count DBZ from Namco)

I mean I just had this thought and it's a interesting question
Actually I'm curious. Does Nintendo have any ownership of the Pokemon anime?

Because Team Rocket is the only anime character I want to see.
Meowth, Dat's Right.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
It's nice that Ridley-Chan finally got through his character arc though.
He's finally fighting with everyone else instead of being a boss for one episode and then disappearing for the rest of the arc.
I never got Ridley fans. He's just some edgy, emo, villain that doesn't deserve to come back to the Leaf Vi- I mean base roster.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

or maybe not
I was about to jump on you, but then I opened the spoiler and I got to say, I’d hundred percent be okay with Yugi. Yugioh was my childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom