• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I forgot:
9/2/2018

Today's Fighter
#32: Ike
Ike's side smash attack is extremely powerful, but it leaves him open, so you'll need to read your opponent's moves carefully. You can choose between his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn costumes.

Edit: Nothing interesting, really.
Ugh.

I hate that Side Smash SO MUCH.
It's the worst move in his entire kit, and it NEVER EVER sees play. It's practically a Falcon Punch, but without the hype associated with it.

Beyond that, it looks so ugly and out of place We have a skilled swordsman gracefully slamming that hunk of steel into fools 90% of the time, but here in the side smash ONLY, it suddenly weighs 50 tons and this buff musclehead has to lug it behind his back over his head, stand on his tippy toes, and THEN slowly slam it down, afterwards resting a moment to pick up the thing like normal, making him vulnerable before, during, and after the attack.

The worst part is when you look at Cloud's which is infinitely better in practically every way.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I wouldn’t say they suck...they’ve made some great songs (though of course I only know their Sonic songs...unless that’s all they have)
They have plenty of other songs. They did music for NASCAR arcade.

More non-Sonic stuff from their The Best Of Crush 40: Super Sonic Songs album.

I really want Tails so we can get a remix of Emerald Hill Zone. Emerald Hill never gets any love, it’s the stage that introduced corkscrews!

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
No, that's not necessarily true. If they signed a contract with Nintendo with a non-compete clause, they couldn't even in their own game.

This is literally exactly what happened with Disney that is preventing the recent Star Wars movies from being on their streaming platform when it launches.
He tries to fight but he just gets turned to stone.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ugh.

It's the worst move in his entire kit, and it NEVER EVER sees play. It's practically a Falcon Punch, but without the hype associated with it.

Beyond that, it looks so ugly. We have a skilled swordsman gracefully slamming that hunk of steel into fools 90% of the time, but here in the side smash ONLY, it suddenly weighs 50 tons and this buff musclehead has to lug it behind his back over his head, stand on his tippy toes, and THEN slowly slam it down, afterwards resting a moment to pick up the thing like normal, making him vulnerable before, during, and after the attack.

The worst part is when you look at Cloud's which is infinitely better in practically every way.
Definitely the worst out of all FE characters here. I don't understand why he's so sluggish either (aside from balancing).

Enchess

Smash Lord
That doesn't make sense, Brawlhalla has been out for years and including a character in doesn't mean that they're trying to compete against Nintendo
I'm saying it's very possible that Nintendo, if Rayman is in, put a clause in contract that says something like "Ubisoft agrees not to have Rayman appear in another platform fighter for X years"

This sorta thing is common. Again, see Netflix barring Disney from showing their own movies on their own streaming service.

And because of that, Rayman's inclusion in Brawlhalla may indicate he's not in Smash since it seems semi-likely Nintendo would include that sorta clause.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Anyone else getting the feeling
What was Skull Kid boss fight in MM like? Was it any fun?
Well it consists of moonwalking and tentacles and stuff. If you wear the Fierce Diety mask the fight literally takes seconds.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I really want Tails so we can get a remix of Emerald Hill Zone. Emerald Hill never gets any love, it’s the stage that introduced corkscrews!

Tails would be perfect, so we could finally get him and Sonic against Mario and Luigi! Also, you have the best signature here, no lie.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Alright, I'm gonna bring the hottest of hot takes ever:
If anime ever got a representative in Smash, Goku would not be the first one to represent it.

Now you're thinking I lost it. Goku's like the big boy of the big boy of anime, how could I say this? What if I told you that a company that already has the most third party reps in the game (right now) has one that's adored on a similar scale both East and West?

Did you forget Konami owns the rights to most of View attachment 161434?

Yeah, you heard me right. The only thing Konami doesn't own is the manga itself (Shueisha's *****). But the anime? The card game? The video games for the anime? The video games for the card game? The video games for the anime of the card games? They own all of it. Partially thanks to 4Kids, because after they went bankrupt, Konami swooped in and took all of that sweet sweet Western distribution rights to own the anime's dub, the one thing they couldn't own at the time.

Yu-Gi-Oh is ****ing big, it's in the trio of card game kings among the Pokemon TCG and Magic the Gathering. The anime is also just as large, one of the longest going card game anime of all time. And if it ain't Konami, it ain't with its own large gacha mobile game that panders to nostalgia just as hard as Game Freak does with Pokemon. It's adorned globally, though we all know it's less than Dragon Ball, I do have an argument to present. Gaining the ability to use it would be so much easier than trying to bargain with Toei to get Dragon Ball. I'll just leave you with that thought.

so yeah yugi for smash i guess
or maybe not
how about just dan green and eric stuart echo for smash
d32BIFr.jpg

For real though, if we could get Yugi and Agumon in Smash Ultimate we'd have something on par with Sonic being added in Brawl. Pokemon vs. Yugioh vs. Digimon was (and still kinda is) huge, and for that to be represented would also be huge.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Definitely the worst out of all FE characters here. I don't understand why he's so sluggish either (aside from balancing).
No, you see, this canonically fast swordsman can't have his projectiles or speed because he needs to be balanced as a heavy swordsman.

Meanwhile: Cloud. :(

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I really have no idea why people think Sonic is going to get skipped. Given that two of the echoes are literally Dark versions of characters, it's a no brainer that we're getting Shadow at the very least.
Some people tend to forget about Shadow or Tails easily being an echo/semi clone of Sonic as well as the fact that Sonic as well as his series are the faces of 3rd party reps in Smash (would be Snake if he didn’t miss a game and was as big of a deal as Sonic).

A new assist trophy character in Knuckles...& Knuckles
Both Sonic stages are returning in Ultimate (while everyone else still has one...sadly including Pac-Man)
20 songs confirmed for his series (sure it isn’t 34 like Castlevania or 36-38 like Street Fighter, but still a very good amount of songs)
Was one of the first characters to be shown off before the infamous “Everyone is Here” tagline hit
Has the most amount of history with Nintendo and is responsible for Sega being the only company to be a legit threat to them and Mario (Sony and formerly Microsoft (who are in love with Nintendo) can’t say that about their products)

These alone are very good reasons for Sonic go gain a second playable rep (he’ll even thirds and fifths...or just bring out all the important characters to join in)
Tails would be perfect, so we could finally get him and Sonic against Mario and Luigi! Also, you have the best signature here, no lie.
bring in both

This is-a very good

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I'm saying it's very possible that Nintendo, if Rayman is in, put a clause in contract that says something like "Ubisoft agrees not to have Rayman appear in another platform fighter for X years"

This sorta thing is common. Again, see Netflix barring Disney from showing their own movies on their own streaming service.

And because of that, Rayman's inclusion in Brawlhalla may indicate he's not in Smash since it seems semi-likely Nintendo would include that sorta clause.
Oooh ok i gotchu, well let's just hope that's not the case.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Been awhile since I’ve been here again. What’s been happening?
Rayman is in Brawlhalla so possibly deconfirmed
A loz leak got.... leaked... or something. But basically he gave conflicting information including Skull Kid being a boss, Isaac not getting in, and for people to lower their expectations.
More fake leaks
Waluigi wars
Yugi of Yugioh is confirmed

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Robin is. Like how do you even play Robin? He's so slow and is useless without the Levin sword. I cannot play as him at all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No, you see, this canonically fast swordsman can't have his projectiles or speed because he needs to be balanced as a heavy swordsman.

Meanwhile: Cloud. :(
this.

"Hey, Sakurai, why is my speedy sword man with blue blade beams slow and short-ranged?"
"Character balance"
"Oh, OK."

7 months later.
"What? Balance? **** BALANCE, THIS IS MOTHER-****IN' CLOUD STRIIIIIIIIIFE. WE GONNA PUT ALL THE REFERENCES IN."
mfw

I guess E tier is a nice place to hang out along with Adult Link and Shulk.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ugh.

Beyond that, it looks so ugly. We have a skilled swordsman gracefully slamming that hunk of steel into fools 90% of the time, but here in the side smash ONLY, it suddenly weighs 50 tons and this buff musclehead has to lug it behind his back over his head, stand on his tippy toes, and THEN slowly slam it down, afterwards resting a moment to pick up the thing like normal, making him vulnerable before, during, and after the attack.

It also doesn't help when you know that Ike's f-smash not only has more start-up lag than Bowser's f-smash, but it also KOs later. Seriously, if Ike's f-smash is going to be so laggy, it really needs the KO power to make up for it.

Having armor would also be a good idea.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Robin is. Like how do you even play Robin? He's so slow and is useless without the Levin sword. I cannot play as him at all.
I meant in terms of frame data. Otherwise, based on run speed, you would be right.

this.

"Hey, Sakurai, why is my speedy sword man with blue blade beams slow and short-ranged?"
"Character balance"
"Oh, OK."

7 months later.
"**** BALANCE, THIS IS MOTHER-****IN' CLOUD STRIIIIIIIIIFE. WE GONNA PUT ALL THE REFERENCES IN."
mfw

They all should have been really good in SSB4. Imagine if they were in the 1.1.7. versions as with everyone else, but no DLC existed?

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I always really liked him. I’m a sucker for mage type characters, especially when combined with close-up archetypes. Funny thing is I hardly ever use Thoron. Only the three charge levels below that.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
this.

"Character balance"
"Oh, OK."

7 months later.
"**** BALANCE, THIS IS MOTHER-****IN' CLOUD STRIIIIIIIIIFE. WE GONNA PUT ALL THE REFERENCES IN."
mfw

How Cloud and Bayonetta were developed in Smash 4.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah Robin's pretty bad as a composite character. His tools and abilities are far too weak to justify the durability mechanic as well as his awful ground and air speed. Not even going to mention how that dash attack looks like he's trying to fill up a car with gas.

But in terms of FSmash, I think I'll happily trade Smashes with him.

I always really liked him. I’m a sucker for mage type characters, especially when combined with close-up archetypes. Funny thing is I hardly ever use Thoron. Only the three charge levels below that.
Thoron's actually not all that great unless you want to snipe someone for an MLG combo video or whatever. In most cases, Arcthunder kills just as early, does just as much damage, and puts them in place for a levin aerial to finish them off.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It also doesn't help when you know that Ike's f-smash not only has more start-up lag than Bowser's f-smash, but it also KOs later. Seriously, if Ike's f-smash is going to be so laggy, it really needs the KO power to make up for it.

Having armor would also be a good idea.
Know what’s worse? People are so happy that ganondorf will have the exact same thing, now.

KMDP

Smash Legend
For real though, if we could get Yugi and Agumon
While Yugi has about as much chance as Goku (read: next to none), Agumon should definitely be in the game.
Pay no attention to that sig behind the curtain!

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah Robin's pretty bad as a composite character. His tools and abilities are far too weak to justify the durability mechanic as well as his awful ground and air speed. Not even going to mention how that dash attack looks like he's trying to fill up a car with gas.

Thoron's actually not all that great unless you want to snipe someone for an MLG combo video or whatever. In most cases, Arcthunder kills just as early, does just as much damage, and puts them in place for a levin aerial to finish them off.
Exactly. Arc Thunder and Arc Fire are the meat and potatoes to wash down with that razzle dazzle. One of my favorite characters.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Apparently, new info from Loz...? He says that Bandana Dee is an AT.

NOW we can all say he's definitively wrong, right?

P.S. I'm joking. It was fake.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait what

Link...?

Oh man I am now rooting for Loz to be wrong once again...PLEASE be wrong Loz...

Welp it’s fake anyway. Thank GOD.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

You know...

Usually in Fire Emblem, players end up using the low end weapons (Iron and Steel Weapons, Basic and El- Tomes), because it's significantly more cost effective.

Maybe the better utility of Robin's Arcthunder over Thoron is a reference to that.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

NOW we can all say he's definitively wrong, right?

P.S. I'm joking. It was fake.
First we lose Rayman, then Bomberman, then Shovel Knight and now Hat Goomba.
pls stop, even if it's a joke :'/

Last edited:

LucR

Smash Rookie
I know it's never gonna happen, but Ivy from Soul Calibur would be amazing

D

Deleted member

First we lose Rayman, then Bomberman, then Shovel Knight and now Hat Goomba.
pls stop, even if it's a joke :'/
My sources tell me Ultimate is canceled. My dad is a stolen Best Buy build, so you can trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly. Arc Thunder and Arc Fire are the meat and potatoes to wash down with that razzle dazzle. One of my favorite characters.
You know one thing I wished they added to Robin was his magic cage thing that appears around mages when they cast magic.

I always thought it was a neat effect they added in FE:A and I was super disappointed it never made it into Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Know what’s worse? People are so happy that ganondorf will have the exact same thing, now.
A very ironic dilemma when you think about it. But I do kind of think that Ganondorf's f-smash would hit harder, and its KO power would only really be rivaled by King Dedede's f-smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know one thing I wished they added to Robin was his magic cage thing that appears around mages when they cast magic.

I always thought it was a neat effect they added in FE:A and I was super disappointed it never made it into Smash.
Maybe we can get that with the next FE:A character added.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
My sources tell me Ultimate is canceled. My dad is a stolen Best Buy build, so you can trust me.
n-NUUUUUUUUUUU
I... think you have the order of events in which we lose them a bit jumbled
Nah it's just that losing Rayman really is a kick in the nuts for me, he was like one of my most wanted "realistic" characters to be in Smash

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They're not happy because they're making him use someone else's move, they're happy he's not as much of a Falcon clone as before.
Now he's a Falcon-Ike-Cloud clone.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I know it's never gonna happen, but Ivy from Soul Calibur would be amazing
I remember after Brawl released I thought she'd be a great addition. Especially since ZSS was really the only character with a whip, and it'd be fun to see how she worked in game.

My one college buddy actually brought it up again right after I showed him the Simon trailer. He watched it and then immediately asked "Oh, Ivy?"

I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom