• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
King K. Rool? Pfffft
Something amazing has happened since Echo fighters were announced...
everyone I've ever enjoyed at all as a character, or have seen others enjoy greatly, becomes a great option.
(then again, maybe it is the fan favorite aspect)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's obvious they weren't enjoying working on it, one bit. There was more goodwill in goddamn Conker's Bad Fur day compared to this. It's telling Kazooie even outright said "is it just me or have video game characters lost their charm?".
It's sad when you can admit that a game that features a literal pile of poo as a boss gets more love than Nuts and Bolts.

King K. Rool? Pfffft
Extra damage if Peach throws a turnip at him while his mouth is open.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I don't think we'll see any ESRB leak this time. I imagine they're gonna be a lot more careful this time because of last time.

So yea I don't think we'll be seeing a leak from them.
It genuinely feels like the bounty is much lower this time around anyways. The amount of effort it would take to make a convincing fake is growing all the time and unlike Smash 4, Ultimate is very forthcoming with its content. It's not like it used to be where there was half a year of darkness on the game and only sporadic updates on things we're taking for granted in Ultimate, like veterans and returning stages.

I wouldn't be surprised if by mid-October we know pretty much everything there is to know. What would they leak then, trophy descriptions?

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
It genuinely feels like the bounty is much lower this time around anyways. The amount of effort it would take to make a convincing fake is growing all the time and unlike Smash 4, Ultimate is very forthcoming with its content. It's not like it used to be where there was half a year of darkness on the game and only sporadic updates on things we're taking for granted in Ultimate, like veterans and returning stages.

I wouldn't be surprised if by mid-October we know pretty much everything there is to know. What would they leak then, trophy descriptions?
Like the Tom Nook trophy write-up is so important to me why does nobody understand?! :(

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
It would be awesome if Ultimate's music library extends beyond the 3rd party franchises that are represented by characters and stages

Though I severely doubt it's going to happen

Some examples:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It would be awesome if Ultimate's music library extends beyond the 3rd party franchises that are represented by characters and stages

Though I severely doubt it's going to happen

Some examples:
Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Bomberman, Chrono Trigger/Cross and Mystical Ninja music please

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Bomberman, Chrono Trigger/Cross and Mystical Ninja music please
I’d like to also nominate Star Ocean, NieR, Devil May Cry, and BEMANI for more such music

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm not gonna lie, i'm glad we're not getting new leaks from Verge and loz18, so we might get a few surprises next direct(s).
I'm split. On the one hand, I'd want to go in knowing nothing, to maximize the amount of surprise. On the other hand, I want to have a good idea beyond official announcements to know what to expect--to be reasonably hyped, without going over. And it's difficult because E3 and the last Direct completely shattered my expectations, making me feel like I'm more hyped than I would be otherwise. For instance, assuming Verge is real (I think Loz is just winging it now), he's prepared me for a possible disappointing Pokemon announcement as well as Isabelle (though I've come around to being for it).

But I would like some "legitimate rumor" to clear up things not yet officially announced, even if it's not character related (like, is this the final stage count, or will there be more than four new ones).

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Maybe it's an early render still being worked on? Shulk and Falco's renders both received slight changes after the game's reveal, and considering that this render hasn't been revealed, nor is likely being revealed anytime soon, it'd make sense for it to be rough around the edges.

Just playing Devil's Advocate.
Since the game is done (due to the ESRB rating), I don't know how early the render can be in development. Or it's an old photo I guess.

Though if we're going with this line of thinking, the Agnes render could be early as well. Though that doesn't address the incorrect accent or the 'RH' logo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aero the Acrobat music in Smash would be awesome, but Sunsoft is dead
Somewhat, aren't they the ones that let Inti Creates borrow their license for Blaster Master? I don't think Inti actually owns BM. Plus the fact that some of their stuff was put on the Virtual Console (including the 3DS one). They seem more dormant but not dead than anything else.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In Nuts and Bolts for whatever reason the writers decided to make every character a condescending *******, everyone in the game including characters like Mumbo Jumbo and Bottles is a **** and it always bothered me whenever I played the game because that isn’t who the characters are.

But yeah, as a car building game it’s fine mechanically, and the soundtrack is wonderful, it’s just not a good Banjo Kazooie game as a whole... Like at all...
I think the problem is that Rare tried pouring on more British self-depreciation humor but they forgot one important thing.

In a game, the audience is part of the action. So when you throw around insults that are supposed to be self knowing winks come off as "we think you are idiots for liking this".

Yooka-Laylee had many of the same problems humor wise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the problem is that Rare tried pouring on more British self-depreciation humor but they forgot one important thing.

In a game, the audience is part of the action. So when you throw around insults that are supposed to be self knowing winks come off as "we think you are idiots for liking this".

It's what happens when one or most of the guys doing quality control is/are gone. This is what ended up crippling Monty Python in its final season, which was a meandering mess in the way that one"s sketches worked.

D

Deleted member

2018 and pics are still blurry like they're taken with cameras from the 1940's.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I think Yooka-Laylee did a serviceable job--not as great as Banjo & Kazooie's sense of humor, but they never made me feel like an idiot playing, unlike Nuts and Bolts.

Except for the Quiz show part where they joke about how they don't have the money to make it good.

Which on the one hand, is the type of self-deprecation I like. It's not making fun of the audience, it's making fun of circumstances outside of their control. N&B leaned into "you're an idiot if you liked those older games, this is what you should be playing instead." However, there are many of the same people who worked on Nuts and Bolts, as well as Yooka-Laylee, so there are some unfortunate similarities.

Since the game is done (due to the ESRB rating), I don't know how early the render can be in development. Or it's an old photo I guess.

Though if we're going with this line of thinking, the Agnes render could be early as well. Though that doesn't address the incorrect accent or the 'RH' logo.
I don't think it's an early render, even if it is real (which I doubt). I'm sure there's little things that seem off about certain character designs, and really outside of a few things that could use some polish (and it'd be in the polishing stage now, I think) it's a really good render. Not the kind of render I would expect out of Smash, but still going beyond my expectations. Which is why part of me wants to believe it's real, even though I know it's not.

EDIT:
Hmm... The thing I doubt the most is Banjo having a moveset without Kazooie.
I only played the original and never played Tooie but as far as I know, Kazooie did almost all the moves.
In Tooie, they did split up and have separate movesets--so I could kind of see Sakurai using that to make B&K and even more unique two-in-one-fighter, but it would take a lot of creativity to pull off, since in the game you could only control one at once. That having been said, there are times when Kazooie is in Banjo's backpack while they're not doing anything, which could be what's happening if it's real (big if, since there's a lot wrong with it).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom