• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Well we know she's got long brown hair, .... light brown eyes, and her personality appears to be "stoic"

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
If it is Ayumi I'd be fascinated to know where the hell that pick came from.
Sakurai considered adding her back in Melee. Given that other ideas that he had in Melee but couldn't accomplish (Ditto being a Pokéball summon, Sukapon...) are now a reality, I see him adding Ayumi because he couldn't do it back in Melee.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ayumi WAS going to be in Melee in very early planning stages.

Considering Sukapon and Ditto are both back after being scrapped from Melee, it's not the farthest stretch.
If this is all hypothetically true, only hoping its her so the SE Rep could still exist and be a wildcard (Rooting for the Geno fans)

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Are Agnes or Ayumi usually portrayed as stoic? Sakurai always takes extra care when portraying a characters personality, that could be a hint as to who she is.
Ayumi usually appears more concerned than stoic but both of them typically have pretty neutral ass faces

Onua

Smash Journeyman
The issue is that Ayumi has her hair tie which is white

We only see the white bit on one side of the face where as Agnes is a collar. So why not see it on the other side?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know I complained about this game's newcomers being too old but I'd actually be down for Ayumi. She's not really requested that much but still could be interesting.

D

Deleted member

As someone who's been on Nicovideo for 10+ years, you better show proof.
Firstly, define 10+ years, because I haven't seen a foreigner on the entire internet that has been using niconico during it's (β) or even (仮) Eras.
Here's the most prominent Smash Ultimate videos; the problem is with the comments on niconico, they'll tend to go away after sometime. I remember having a video up and a whole lyric part being removed after sometime, but I assure you that there are still Rex comments on these videos.

Smash Ultimate Reveal @ E3 2018: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33357783
Smash Direct 8.8.18: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33658706

The rest are pretty much re-uploads, afterwards it's character reveals and foreigner reactions. And even then, polls in Japan have always ranked him as #1, as per the most recent one that I posted not too long ago.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Very likely fake but it is certainly interesting what characters these "leaks" are making us consider talking about.

Then again it's the only thing keeping some of us sane.

Shroob

Sup?
And that's another thing.

We can't really use Skull Kid as a method to deconfirm it either because....

"Well, Majora's Mask is going to look like Majora's Mask, no matter what game it's in."

If we could see what the REST of Skull Kid looked like, but Majora's Mask isn't going to look THAT different between multiple games.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
At this point I'm of three minds

1. It could just be fake, but the presence of a rando mystery girl.... just doesn't sit well with me

2. It being Ayumi would go with my current theory/analysis of how Sakurai's picking this time, being ballot winners and chars he's been thinking about for years (its kinda why I thought Mach Rider wasn't impossible)

3. It doesn't look like Ayumi to me and the long parted to one side hair fits Agnes way more, but I would be shocked if Sakurai overlooked the likes of Geno, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger in favor of a Bravely Default rep, specially considering he's openly stated he wanted to put Geno in before

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, Sakurai could change Ayumi's base design and change her hairdo for example. Look at what he did with Pit!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Isaac, Skull Kid, and Chorus Kids are in this leak. I’d be pretty much completely OK with the roster minus the lack of Geno and a Dixie Kong echo at that point

Especially if our mystery girl is Ayumi, can she also cracks my top 10 as a “I want to see what Sakurai can do with her” sort of character. If it’s Agnes from Bravely Default, I... just have no words at all for that choice. Thats basically a guaranteed Corrin 2.0 situation in terms of salt for the community as a whole. It might super bother me, but it’d be weird, and that would honestly be perhaps a third party character with TOO much backlash to be completely honest.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Isaac, Skull Kid, and Chorus Kids are in this leak. I’d be pretty much completely OK with the roster minus the lack of Geno and a Dixie Kong echo at that point

Especially if our mystery girl is Ayumi, can she also cracks my top 10 as a “I want to see what Sakurai can do with her” sort of character. If it’s Agnes from Bravely Default, I... just have no words at all for that choice. Thats basically a guaranteed Corrin 2.0 situation in terms of salt for the community as a whole. It might super bother me, but it’d be weird, and that would honestly be perhaps a third party character with TOO much backlash to be completely honest.
I actually think Ayumi would get more backlash than Agnes just because fewer people know her (from what I can tell)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I actually think Ayumi would get more backlash than Agnes just because fewer people know her (from what I can tell)
Let's be real, any character at this point regardless of their popularity will get backlash.

This is the smash fanbase we're talking about.

Shroob

Sup?
The reason I think it's Agnes mainly is because the eye color.

BDFF_Agnès_Freelancer.png

The eye color in the chibi model matches up too well with the mystery girl IMO.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Let's be real, any character at this point regardless of their popularity will get backlash.

We're not talking "booo Geno!? I wanted RAYMAN!"

We're talking Agnes or Ayumi

That is certainly Corrin levels of salt
But Ayumi doesn't deconfirm another character...
I see your point. I certainly would have taken Geno.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Honestly, I doubt Sakurai would actually put Ayumi in Smash due to her series being Japan exclusive. She was considered for Smash, but so was James Bond. Takamaru was also considered at one point, but ended up an Assist Trophy.

Agnes is a reasonable pick, and from a relatively popular duo of games (Bravely Default). In fact, I commented once that Agnes would very much be a Sakurai pick. Also note that Bravely Second came out in 2015, the year the proposal was written.

I however, would prefer Geno over Agnes. But at the same time, who says Agnes getting in means Geno doesn't? They're not mutually exclusive here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly, I doubt Sakurai would actually put Ayumi in Smash due to her series being Japan exclusive. She was considered for Smash, but so was James Bond. Takamaru was also considered at one point, but ended up an Assist Trophy.

Agnes is a reasonable pick, and from a relatively popular duo of games (Bravely Default). In fact, I commented once that Agnes would very much be a Sakurai pick. Also note that Bravely Second came out in 2015, the year the proposal was written.

I however, would prefer Geno over Agnes. But at the same time, who says Agnes getting in means Geno doesn't? They're not mutually exclusive here.
There is only 1 question mark on that chart and Incineroar wasn't shown

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
If this leak is real, that means that we're getting five new kids joining the battle.
Sakurai sure loves having children chaotically fight.

Shroob

Sup?
This.

If Vergeben is correct, which this leak matches up to him 1:1, then we're missing the Gen7 rep, which would be Incineroar most likely.

Unless Verg's sources were right about everything BUT Pokemon, which would be REALLY odd about them being right about a 2nd Square rep, but wrong about Pokemon of all things.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Even Chrom didn't that much backslash and this says something.

I don't think this time any character will create that much salt, considering we got K.Rool and Ridley out of the way.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, define 10+ years, because I haven't seen a foreigner on the entire internet that has been using niconico during it's (β) or even (仮) Eras.
Here's the most prominent Smash Ultimate videos; the problem is with the comments on niconico, they'll tend to go away after sometime. I remember having a video up and a whole lyric part being removed after sometime, but I assure you that there are still Rex comments on these videos.

Smash Ultimate Reveal @ E3 2018: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33357783
Smash Direct 8.8.18: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33658706

The rest are pretty much re-uploads, afterwards it's character reveals and foreigner reactions. And even then, polls in Japan have always ranked him as #1, as per the most recent one that I posted not too long ago.
Since December 2007 (RC2), which, yes, is 10+years ago.

I found exactly one Rex comment between those two videos, in the E3 one.

おおーーーレックスは?(怒)
If there were Rex comments they've been overwritten by now. edit:like the comments seem to come from after the 8.8 Direct. That might explain a bit.

I know Rex is a very popular choice, I just don't see many comments about him right now.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Fire emblem was Japan exclusive at the time when Melee released. While Mother 2/Ness was released in the West, Lucas was from Mother 3, a Japan only exclusive. Ayumi could be in simply because Sakurai wants her to be.

Shroob

Sup?
Fire emblem was Japan exclusive at the time when Melee released. While Mother 2/Ness was released in the West, Lucas was from Mother 3, a Japan only exclusive. Ayumi could be in simply because Sakurai wants her to be.
He could, but if Takamaru got the axe from 4 because Sakurai was afraid of him having no western appeal, then what does that say for Ayumi?

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
They aren't, but it would be weird to have two new, completely unique Square characters while Bamco for example gets none. If that girl is Agnes and the leak is true, I'd say Geno's possibilities to be in the base roster would decrease to almost none.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Agnes, the leak quite obviously follows the current hottest rumors (minus Pokémon, which would be the question mark), and she'd be the 2nd Square rep.

I'd be surprised at any Square character that isn't Geno at this point, but then again, Smash always surprises.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
yrr.png

from new 4chan thread

be aware there is no way to know if this is the guy who posted the prior images or simply a piggybacker, there's simply a 4th part thread on the subject of this leak that starts with a person seemingly claiming these to be real

Posted because a quick scrub and I couldn't find the Dixie render. It looks vaguely similar to Smashfieds, but several things are different.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Implying the image is a legitimate leak, which it clearly isn't. Compare these renders to the currently known Smash renders, and you'll see that these renders are hideous abominations.

Seriously, ArtsyOmni has made way better renders than these.

You're correct about Fire Emblem. Lucas, however, is incorrect. Sakurai believed Mother 3 would be localized. If he knew it wasn't going to be, he wouldn't have put Lucas in. And again, I bring up Takamaru. Edit: :ultgreninja:'d on the Takamaru point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom