• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

be aware there is no way to know if this is the guy who posted the prior images or simply a piggybacker, there's simply a 4th part thread on the subject of this leak that starts with a person seemingly claiming these to be real

Posted because a quick scrub and I couldn't find the Dixie render. It looks vaguely similar to Smashfieds, but several things are different.

Oh crap the plot thickens.

Edit: Gosh what's wrong with Banjo?? He is in new levels of uncanny valley!

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

be aware there is no way to know if this is the guy who posted the prior images or simply a piggybacker, there's simply a 4th part thread on the subject of this leak that starts with a person seemingly claiming these to be real

Posted because a quick scrub and I couldn't find the Dixie render. It looks vaguely similar to Smashfieds, but several things are different.
It's like Banjo is staring right into the soul of whoever's looking at him.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I actually think Ayumi would get more backlash than Agnes just because fewer people know her (from what I can tell)
I doubt it. Ayumi would cause salt like ROB I’d imagine. She’s a part of Nintendo’s history at least, and would likely have to incorporate a more unique move set.

Agnes, on the other hand, “steals” the spot of every other Square rep in many peoples minds. I’ve literaly never heard her even be mentioned as a candidate. She pisses off fans of Slime, Terra, even Lara Croft, and more notably, Sora and Geno. She represents an extremely recent series, and if used for cross promotion with a new Bravely Default game on Switch, she gets the full brunt of vitriol as an advertising character. Not to mention, she also ticks off generic anime fighter that some people already dislike (Again Ayumi would likely get enough of a unique kit to win people over in her regard).

She’s a pick that would satisfy no one, and frustrate/anger practically everyone. Except Square for advertising, and I’m sure we’d pretty much all immediately scream that Cloud was held hostage by Square in exchange for a promotional character...

Again, that’s the kind of reaction I see, and it’s not a good one in any way. Ayumi would just get the roster spot arguments/not Takumaru/favorite retro hate. Some strong disliking, but more overall acceptance...

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Oh crap the plot thickens.
According to a couple of people in the thread, this is a pre-existing fake Banjo render, so that'd make whoever posted this (probably) as a piggybacker.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

That Banjo looks real......off? It looks like he's been ripped straight from a piece of official art while Kazooie looks fake.

Dixie looks.....odd.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
He could, but if Takamaru got the axe from 4 because Sakurai was afraid of him having no western appeal, then what does that say for Ayumi?
It depends. Sakurai once said Ridley was too big. I really don't take anything he says at face value anymore.

What does interest me though is if this is a fake, why go through all the trouble of making ayumi/agnes look so different from their original designs? The both look nothing like that character tbh. I personally think it's a redesigned Ayumi still, only because I'd be very shocked if Bravely default of all games got a rep in Smash. Not that I would hate it or anything, just is confusing to me.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
This.

If Vergeben is correct, which this leak matches up to him 1:1, then we're missing the Gen7 rep, which would be Incineroar most likely.

Unless Verg's sources were right about everything BUT Pokemon, which would be REALLY odd about them being right about a 2nd Square rep, but wrong about Pokemon of all things.
Verge's sources did also mention a Minecraft stage and assist which was leaked along with Ridley and Simon. I hope the ? is Banjo.

D

Deleted member

Since December 2007 (RC2), which, yes, is 10+years ago.

I found exactly one Rex comment between those two videos, in the E3 one.

If there were Rex comments they've been overwritten by now.

I know Rex is a very popular choice, I just don't see many comments about him right now.
That's the problem, honestly, is niconico not showing them, which blows and isn't even surprising considering the fact they've introduced 1080p resolution this year. And even if you have a premium membership, comments after like a month are pretty much gone. Like for example, I know for a fact people have made lyric comments at 6:21 of International Wrestling Festival 2017's nico-upload and people had to re-post them again. Another example is all the Rex comments, because I swear there have been quite the amount of them spread out.

Moral of the Story: Go to bilibili. They actually support and put Gachimuchi on their front page. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
as a huge Geno fan, I think the fact that we're even discussing Agnes and Ayumi are interesting enough on their own, to be honest.
Seriously, if it's real, it WILL be the hot topic for discussion because Agnes will deconfirm Geno as the SE Rep (if Verg is correct). If it's Ayumi, Geno fans can breathe until we figure the Square rep out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

Banjo and Kazooie don't look nearly as updated as I would expect, they're practically just their N64 concept art selves, and while Smash tends to do an amazing job at appealing to nostalgia in redesigns the characters still have to fit in among the rest of the cast in terms of artstyle, which this doesn't really seem to do.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Aside from the ESRB leak for Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U, we have never, ever had any roster leaks via images. Gonna call this what it is – a fake rumor. I think the community uses the word leak too loosely.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
It depends. Sakurai once said Ridley was too big. I really don't take anything he says at face value anymore.

What does interest me though is if this is a fake, why go through all the trouble of making ayumi/agnes look so different from their original designs? The both look nothing like that character tbh. I personally think it's a redesigned Ayumi still, only because I'd be very shocked if Bravely default of all games got a rep in Smash. Not that I would hate it or anything, just is confusing to me.

Thing is, it looks like Agnes. Has her eyes, her hair, her blank expression. I can see that being an Agnes. Without remodel of hair (and that's a very iconic part of character appearance, it's not like Ayumi's hair isn't distinct) I really can't see that being Ayumi, and Sakurai doesn't seem the type to remodel that way. (Yeah, he updated Pitt, whose original appearance wasn't at all as well defined as that of Ayumi's.)

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The other thing to point out is that neither "Agnes," Isaac or Ken have visible hair cards. Every single character, from the anime characters like Link, Marth or Shulk, to the more realistic characters like Snake, Simon or Bayonetta, have their hair created with layered strips of polygon hair, even in their high resolution renders. Obviously these renders are intentionally close cropped, but I still see no evidence of that method here. It just looks like painted hair.

Shroob

Sup?
Aside from the ESRB leak for Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Wii U, we have never, ever had any roster leaks via images. Gonna call this what it is – a fake rumor. I think the community is too quick to call rumors leaks.
"Rumor" and "Leak" have become interchangeable when it comes to Smash.

Honestly, leak's just more fun to say and takes one less letter to type.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Seriously, if it's real, it WILL be the hot topic for discussion because Agnes will deconfirm Geno as the SE Rep (if Verg is correct). If it's Ayumi, Geno fans can breathe until we figure the Square rep out.
As much as K. Rool, Ridley, etc bode well for Geno, Isaac, etc, the cutting room floor is bound to exist eventually.

Just by more characters existing that aren't Geno, Isaac, BWD, etc on the roaster will bode bad for them.. It means the X amount has gone down by one - we just don't know what X is.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Honestly, I'm not surprised that Agnes would get in over Geno, if that's who's in the picture.
I mean Bravely Second did come out in late 2015 and it's obvious that it's a franchise that Square Enix wants to push and continue.
It's not like she can't bring anything unique to the table and doesn't have a built in fanbase.
Now compare that to a character that only has a cult following, that really only pertains to Smash Bros, and the fact he's been underutilized or not used at all by his own company in over a decade.
That's not to say that Geno still can't be in the game, if not base I think he has a high chance for DLC, but I don't think it's that hard to believe a recent and somewhat popular JRPG character is included over him.

Again this is going off the basis if this leak is even real.

StormC

Smash Hero
That Banjo/Dixie "leak" was specifically designed to try to get me interested in this crap.

Banjo literally just looks like concept art from the 64 days. Not remotely updated or anything. I have a hard time seeing that translating to Smash. It's stiff.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, it looks like Agnes. Has her eyes, her hair, her blank expression. I can see that being an Agnes. Without remodel of hair (and that's a very iconic part of character appearance, it's not like Ayumi's hair isn't distinct) I really can't see that being Ayumi, and Sakurai doesn't seem the type to remodel that way. (Yeah, he updated Pitt, whose original appearance wasn't at all as well defined as that of Ayumi's.)
To be honest, the thing that bugs me the most is her eyes. Why change its color? It feels like really random, and in general she doesn't look like Agnes. I think Ayumi Tachibana/Fatal Frame girl is more likely myself

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

That just looks like old Banjo art from the N64 era.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
To be honest, the thing that bugs me the most is her eyes. Why change its color? It feels like really random, and in general she doesn't look like Agnes. I think Ayumi Tachibana/Fatal Frame girl is more likely myself
The eyes look the exact same greyish-brown to me. It's the hair that looks off to me.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 160523

All three of them have a serious case of sideways mouth.
Can't believe Dreamworks are making a Street Fighter Movie

Anyway, something to note is that these are all characters with simpler renders, anime ones often have a farily basic render to them compared to the detail of monsters like krool and normal humans like snake, or cartoon characters (Especially Chorus Kids lmao). The only exception is skull kid, I would have thought they would have given more flair to the mask than that fairly stock looking one, and ken, who seems to have brought over some of Street Fighter's art style with him. This makes me think the roster is designed not to be a real roster for a video game, but easy characters to make fake renders of.

The Rayman guy already did this, and arguably better, I'm aware of Shulk is a Photoshopped Little Mac but i'm sticking by this being bunk.

As for the roster? It's okay, I only really would play Chorus Kids and Shadow if he gets a chrom treatment, maybe Issac too if he's in. Also i'm assuming the character is Agnes, you hop on verge **** with isabelle and ken picks there has to be a SE character and because The wooden effects on Geno and the armour of Edrick are too hard to model agnes barely makes sense enough. If she is in they better port the original games to switch.

But in all honesty, at this point i'd just skip Bravely Default and add an Octopath character as DLC.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
"Rumor" and "Leak" have become interchangeable when it comes to Smash.

Honestly, leak's just more fun to say and takes one less letter to type.
I don't think that's a valid excuse for using the wrong word. "Leak" has a very different connotation than "rumour" and implies a level of credibility and factuality that rumour doesn't carry. People use it interchangeably, but it is wrong and helps perpetuate the culture of fakes that pour out of areas like Chan. This makes it difficult to manage expectations and sets people up for disappointment.

As Joe Merrick put so eloquently:
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/893349881112408064

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
View attachment 160525

from new 4chan thread

That Banjo render is definitely fake, coming straight out of Tooie’s N64 boxart with minor edits on it.

Dunno bout the Dixie but a real render would look more clean, this one looks Smashified.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem, honestly, is niconico not showing them, which blows and isn't even surprising considering the fact they've introduced 1080p resolution this year. And even if you have a premium membership, comments after like a month are pretty much gone. Like for example, I know for a fact people have made lyric comments at 6:21 of International Wrestling Festival 2017's nico-upload and people had to re-post them again. Another example is all the Rex comments, because I swear there have been quite the amount of them spread out.

Moral of the Story: Go to bilibili. They actually support and put Gachimuchi on their front page. :cool:
Nah, I have Youtube and virtual YouTubers now, and I have no idea what I'm doing on bilibili anyway...

Although now that I think of it: people upload videos with Niconico comments all the time to Youtube, so if you have some idea of where the Rex comments were I'll try to find them. edit: wait they're all of the live comments, nevermind

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I think what is at least another serious blow against this rumor, is that Banjo and Dixie appear very...stiff. If you'll notice, Ultimate's renders tend to have a bit of "action" to them, which these really don't.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I don't think that's a valid excuse for using the wrong word. "Leak" has a very different connotation than "rumour" and implies a level of credibility and factuality that rumour doesn't carry. People use it interchangeably, but it is wrong and helps perpetuate the culture of fakes that pour out of areas like Chan. This makes it difficult to manage expectations and sets people up for disappointment.

As Joe Merrick put so eloquently:
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/893349881112408064
I agree. Leak gives too much credence to these, often haphazardly tossed together, rumors. They only server to stir up the community.

Joe and I have discussed rumor and leak differentation as well as rumors and leaks themselves countless times, even when I worked for Pokémon and was hired by Nintendo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I'm not surprised that Agnes would get in over Geno, if that's who's in the picture.
I mean Bravely Second did come out in late 2015 and it's obvious that it's a franchise that Square Enix wants to push and continue.
It's not like she can't bring anything unique to the table and doesn't have a built in fanbase.
Now compare that to a character that only has a cult following, that really only pertains to Smash Bros, and the fact he's been underutilized or not used at all by his own company in over a decade.
That's not to say that Geno still can't be in the game, if not base I think he has a high chance for DLC, but I don't think it's that hard to believe a recent and somewhat popular JRPG character is included over him.

Again this is going off the basis if this leak is even real.
Not that surprising. Ultimate only added characters with Smash fans so far and avoided new franchises like plague after Splatoon.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think what is at least another serious blow against this rumor, is that Banjo and Dixie appear very...stiff. If you'll notice, Ultimate's renders tend to have a bit of "action" to them, which these really don't.
reminder that there's no way to know/verify if this is part of the initial renders or not since anyone can anonymously post, and leak hijacking is very common

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
reminder that there's no way to know/verify if this is part of the initial renders or not since anyone can anonymously post, and leak hijacking is very common
Of course, of course, but in all honesty, I'm not convinced by the initial part either.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Whether its real or not a whole slew of brown haired brown eyed stoic anime girls just became major dark horses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom