• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
While I am hopeful for a Direct next month, it's very possible they could do what they have been doing with the online announcements so far and just drop what's left to talk about it in press releases on their site and in Twitter updates.

I really, REALLY hope that's not the case, but it would fit in line with what they've already been doing. Plus, I don't think we're gonna hear about 2019 games until January. Nintendo's made themselves clear that they wanna focus on what's in 2018 right now, so I personally am not expecting anything big for the rest of the year. Maybe a late December Direct if we're lucky.
They still have unannounced games to, well, announce.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/04/nintendo-switch-secret-unannounced-games-due-year-7683744/

There is almost certainly going to be a General Direct in September. They aren't going to wait six months after E3 for one.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, let's play a game.

I was thinking "What would happen if Nintendo asked ArcSys to make a fighting game, but told them 'As long as it has [these characters], we don't care who else is in it.'"

So...

You're making a new Nintendo fighting game with 22 characters in it, Nintendo has told you that you must include:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Pikachu
  • Marth
Other than that, you can choose anyone as a fighter so long as they are Nintendo characters. In short, pick 16 characters for your hypothetical Nintendo fighting game.
Arc Systems.png

Here we go. Figured Smash would still be running alongside this ficticious game, so it'd be a good idea to include some characters Sakurai has passed over rather than use Smash's roster although there is some overlap.

There's also a mild emphasis on rivalries

Mario Vs. Bowser: Obvious
Captain Toad Vs. Wario: Treasure Hunters
Luigi Vs. Waluigi: Obvious
Link Vs. Ganondorf: Obvious
Pikachu Vs. Meowth: The original anime rivalry
Chibi-Robo Vs. Inkling: Clean vs. messy
Kirby Vs. Dee: Friendly rivals
Ashley Vs. Yoshi: Supernatural vs. nature
Marth Vs. Lyn: Western Vs. Eastern sword style(admittedly I would swap Marth for Ike in a heartbeat if the rules allowed it)
Isabelle Vs. Starfy: Electoral vs. Royalty
DK Vs. Springman: Ultimate Boxing showdown(sorry Mac, DK's a bigger name and Springman reps a new IP not seen in Smash yet)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/04/nintendo-switch-secret-unannounced-games-due-year-7683744/

There is almost certainly going to be a General Direct in September. They aren't going to wait six months after E3 for one.
I'm hoping for one! While I personally was completely satisfied by E3, I know there are people hoping for more announcements. I myself would really like an Animal Crossing announcement.

...The cynical part of me thinks that those games they were talking about are probably just the indies and 3rd party ports announced at Gamescom, though. I'm probably wrong, though. I'm sure we'll get something, I just usually take a very pessimistic stance with Nintendo stuff so I don't get disappointed. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 160166

Here we go. Figured Smash would still be running alongside this ficticious game, so it'd be a good idea to include some characters Sakurai has passed over rather than use Smash's roster although there is some overlap.

There's also a mild emphasis on rivalries

Mario Vs. Bowser: Obvious
Captain Toad Vs. Wario: Treasure Hunters
Luigi Vs. Waluigi: Obvious
Link Vs. Ganondorf: Obvious
Pikachu Vs. Meowth: The original anime rivalry
Chibi-Robo Vs. Inkling: Clean vs. messy
Kirby Vs. Dee: Friendly rivals
Ashley Vs. Yoshi: Supernatural vs. nature
Marth Vs. Lyn: Western Vs. Eastern sword style(admittedly I would swap Marth for Ike in a heartbeat if the rules allowed it)
Isabelle Vs. Starfy: Electoral vs. Royalty
DK Vs. Springman: Ultimate Boxing showdown(sorry Mac, DK's a bigger name and Springman reps a new IP not seen in Smash yet)
Waluigi is here but Peach isn't. Literally why?!

EDIT: "Mild emphasis"? You put in the guy who exists so Wario can have a partner in a sports competition against Mario brothers.

Last edited:

ArkhaosZero

Smash Cadet
This.

But yeah, it's not Sakurai's fault but the gaming industry as a whole. He's doing his best with what he has, or so I think. I mean, before 4 female representation was abysmal but after that game we at least have some variety.
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love to see the envelope pushed even further, but it's definitely headed in the right direction. After counting alts and what not, we've got about 21 females. Hell of a boost from Brawl's 4 or so.

I say keep it coming. Elma, Dixie, Micaiah, Octolings, Medusa Pyra(& Rex), Edelgard.. Any of them would be sweet.

EDIT: How could I forget Isabelle??

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I still can't believe this like it has to have been a misunderstanding/mistranslation. What possible first party game are they going to announce now that will release in the next 4 months?!

Also yo.. this time next week Smash will only be 3 months away. That's crazy.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
IDK when Sakurai said he was hoping to add more female fighters, but as someone else said he's deconfirmed some of the more popular picks, so either he stopped caring or he's holding off on Dixie, Impa, Isabelle, a Roll echo for Megaman, Ms. Pacman, and of course Cross Dressed Cloud

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I want everyone to play a game.
Name your five favorite series in Smash and name a boss for them.

:ultmario:: Shadow Queen or Petey Piranha
:ultlink:: Bongo Bongo
:ultkirby:: Zero 2
:ultmarth:: Grima
:ultpikachu:: Mega Rayquaza
This is actually really difficult for me, because I don't really remember bosses when I play games. But I'll try:

Zelda - Windblight Ganon from BotW
Zelda - Phantom Ganon from OoT
Sonic - Mecha Sonic from Sonic and Knuckles
Pokémon - Palkia battle from Pokémon Pearl
And that's about all I can think of from games that I've played, because I haven't played too many Nintendo games (I play more niche JRPGs on the PS4). But since I need five, I'll just add Mario in there
Mario - the second Bowser battle in Super Mario 64

Noipoi

Howdy!
IDK when Sakurai said he was hoping to add more female fighters, but as someone else said he's deconfirmed some of the more popular picks, so either he stopped caring or he's holding off on Dixie, Impa, Isabelle, a Roll echo for Megaman, Ms. Pacman, and of course Cross Dressed Cloud
I'd actually be ok with Roll. I never thought about it until now.

StormC

Smash Hero
This game is Ultimate with a focus on iconic characters with tons of fan requests. Unfortunately there aren’t really any female characters that fit that mold. Nintendo, and video games in general, has historically been very much a boy’s club until recently.

I could see some sort of backlash if the only strictly female newcomers are echo fighters. But by Smash 6 there would be more options.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
This game is Ultimate with a focus on iconic characters with tons of fan requests. Unfortunately there aren’t really any female characters that fit that mold. Nintendo, and video games in general, has historically been very much a boy’s club until recently.

I could see some sort of backlash if the only strictly female newcomers are echo fighters. But by Smash 6 there would be more options.
I would be surprised if there was any kind of backlash about it as I've only ever seen the topic come up before here.
But like you said I doubt nintendo or Sakurai are taking balancing out the male to female count into consideration. They're more just looking to make a fan favorite roster.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, with the next Direct rumoured to be leaked and taking place at the 12th, this gives a short killswitch of within two weeks. Not too bad, all things considered.

I would like Ms. Pac-Man, if only so that Bamco finally acknowledges that she exists again.

But like you said I doubt nintendo or Sakurai are taking balancing out the male to female count into consideration. They're more just looking to make a fan favorite roster.
The best outcome if for both needs to be coincidentally fulfilled at the same time by accident (a possible Shantae inclusion, for instance).

One thing for sure though, I feel there will be a much bigger push for Lara Croft after the game's out.

Last edited:

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I would love to have Roll as an echo of Rock
Give her his old Customs please, his customs were like Palutena Mii Fighter level unique, I want them back! Obviously we can't have all without 2 megaman echos, but like Hyper Bomb, Danger Wrap, Beat, and Skull Barrier would be amazing!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Aight, predictions for the next three months, and be sure to specify if it’s a regular direct, surprise stream, or dedicated Smash Direct for each month. Go!

As for mine:

September: General Nintendo Direct. Smash reveals: Elma (immediately after Torna release trailer and/or X Switch Port announcement), quick Isabelle Echo announcement following the Animal Crossing Switch title announcement (title card only, no trailer), Bandana Waddle Dee (named Waddle Dee, shown off at the end). They’ll also in general discuss online.
October: Surprise stream - Neku reveal to tie in to TWEWY Final Remix release
November: 50 facts Smash dedicated Direct, GIANT blowout. Isaac, RH Rep, Ken, Shadow, Zack, Incineroar, second Bandai Namco rep (probably Lloyd Irving). Spirits mode discussed. All Star mode, remaining ATs revealed (including a Fatal Frame AT) and maybe some more bosses. Ends with WIP 3D models of Rex and Pyra and a title card saying “Rex & Pyra are on the way!!” revealing the start of the DLC Period. Rex & Pyra will be available from the eShop in February 2019.
My idea is somewhat similar to yours.
September: Regular Nintendo Direct Smash Reveals Elma (right after Torna release) little info on game, and online features with (hopefully) online ranking for Smash, then Impa in reveal as newcomers with her Naginata weapon.

October: Quick reveal trailer - Amaterasu as our next Capcom Newcomer with Shiranui echo, and Chibiterasu Assist Trophy, and music from Okami, and Okamiden. Follow by Valkyrie as the new Namco newcomer.

November: Giant Smash Direct - Gardevoir revealed first as unique newcomer, different modes talked about (Spirits, All Star mode, Boss Rush, Smash Run) reveal of Isabelle (unique), Shadow, Sakura (Street Fighter), Isaac, Skull Kid, Rayman, and Fjorm showing how they each play. Then a triple, double feature, that shows a trailer with Tetra and Shantae, a Yu Narukami, and Joker trailer, and finally a Geno and Sora trailer. With Rex, and Pyra as upcoming DLC.

November's a bit wild, but I think he's gonna pull off all the stops.

Also Animal Crossing game for Switch has be needed since the beginning of history.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually think that the lacking amount of female characters is one of the reasons why Bayonetta was chosen.

She's actually pretty popular among female fans and is seen as something of a feminist character.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I would love to have Roll as an echo of Rock
She's already been a Megaman clone in MVC2, it'd work perfectly. That, or give me Proto and Bass as dual echos and they switch places in the FS. Any of these things which are not remotely likely at all would make me happy.

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's my only big problem with Ultimate so far. Not the lack of girls, but how it gives the short end of stick to new fans.

I know they are iconic and all but it's going to get old if all unique newcomers after Inklings are older than me. It makes it feels like new games doesn't matter.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually I'm pretty sure the ballot was super interested in finding out what girls wanted.

It's why they had a gender option in the ballot.

But if that's the case, who did they vote for?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Uh, you’re all fogetting about the number one girl character for Ultimate.

8D81F800-128B-416B-8F65-4E2565E9E686.jpeg

Although, I suppose really any sailor themed character could work. I just want a taunt to say “In the name of the moon” and “I’ll punish you.”

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually I'm pretty sure the ballot was super interested in finding out what girls wanted.

I mean, aside from Cloud?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I fear the day we ever find out in depth ballot results. I believe Sakurai is protecting us from ourselves by keeping them secret. Who knows just how many votes Goku got that we aren't aware of.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That's my only big problem with Ultimate so far. Not the lack of girls, but how it gives the short end of stick to new fans.

I know they are iconic and all but it's going to get old if all unique newcomers after Inklings are older than me. It makes it feels like new games doesn't matter.
Considering people have requested some of these characters for years...You don't know the half of it when it comes to getting the short end of the stick. I say it's about time these long time requested characters are chosen over newer ones.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Yeah, apparently if you were born after the snes era your favorites don't matter.
Well, that's jumping the gun a bit. We haven't seen all the newcomers, but if we don't get someone from after the 90s besides Inkling i'm gonna feel a little left out.
Even a new Pokemon will do for me. Sure it's generic and expected but it was created after I was born.

D

Deleted member

I want everyone to play a game.
Name your five favorite series in Smash and name a boss for them.

:ultmario:: Shadow Queen or Petey Piranha
:ultlink:: Bongo Bongo
:ultkirby:: Zero 2
:ultmarth:: Grima
:ultpikachu:: Mega Rayquaza
:ultmario:: Broodals
:ultlink:: Majora
:ultinkling:: DJ Octavio
:ultsamus:: Emperor Ing
:ultkirby:: Star Dream OS (02 is tempting, but I'd probably go with Star Dream for the music.)

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
For whom it may concern: IGN showed off Shovel knight battle mode "Shovel Knight Showdown"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All three are wanted mainly because recent games so while they'd be great (like Isabelle), I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: If people can ask for villains just because, why not girls, too.
And if people want a non-1st gen Pokemon just because...

1535479962036.png

Gothitelle for Smash! Doesn’t matter if she’s a literally who, twofer token minority representation matters more!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I don’t think we’d die if there are two more chracaters like Elma and a Gen 7 Rep and have like 3-4 more be from the ballot.

For instance if we get Isaac, Geno, Banjo, A LOT of fans will be extremely be happy with the roster, and they probably won’t care for characters like Elma or a Gen 7 Pokémon if they got added, which if they also get included can at least make Elma fans and whatever Gen 7 Pokémon fans happy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, apparently if you were born after the snes era your favorites don't matter.
Well, that's jumping the gun a bit. We haven't seen all the newcomers, but if we don't get someone from after the 90s besides Inkling i'm gonna feel a little left out.
Even a new Pokemon will do for me. Sure it's generic and expected but it was created after I was born.
I mean, if you aren't here since Gamecube, why are you even playing Smash? Come back when your most wanted is from three systems ago.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Layton probably.

He is the only Japanese third-party I know of whose franchise is world-wide popular that has a big enough female demographic for them to vote for the professor.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
To be fair, this is really the first time we're seeing such a old school rep focus. Melee literally got chars that weren't out yet, Sm4sh got plenty of new school support, all the while the 3 system old fan favorite reps were basically left out because of their 3 system old only really favorites among the hardcore fans status.

I don't really mind those characters finally getting the spotlight.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Shoot, gotta wait for the holographic 4ds for Ashley to get a chance.
Nah, by than, old school fans would be waiting for twenty eight years for their most wanteds, so you must wait your elders.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
This is where the split between newer fans and older fans starts rearing its head. I'm not even that old, I'm 23, but I still want a lot of the older characters to finally make it in the game because fans have been asking for years. If Ultimate is that one game where we finally get what we want at the expense of newer characters? Sign me up. Maybe it'll get younger people to check out those older games.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Amaterasu would be a great choice for a female character, however I mostly want her for her unique moveset/mechanic of drawing to create:
Bombs
Vines
Destructive elements of nature (Windstorms, Firestorms, Blizzards, Thunderbolts)
Boulder cutting slashes
And the ability to switch between three different weapons (each with different ranges) is mostly why I want her in Smash. Although there should be some more female characters as long as the character is unique and fun to play with (I hold the same requirements for male characters)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Waluigi is here but Peach isn't. Literally why?!

EDIT: "Mild emphasis"? You put in the guy who exists so Wario can have a partner in a sports competition against Mario brothers.
Whaddya mean why? Peach fans have Smash. Waluigi fans do not.

The concept given is two games, this one and Smash Bros, are released simultaneously and this one would give fans of passed over choices in Smash a place to play their favourites elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom