• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I saw someone mentioning here that that was the reason Lucina got in over Chrom previously. They might have been making stuff up. But I could see it as a possible reason.
Lucina got in over Chrom due to being planned as a Marth alt before the realization of her being slightly shorter than him
In Heroes male and female Corrin are treated as totally separate characters. It's actually Warriors that made female the default.

It still probably would have been the better move for Smash to do this anyway, in part for the reasons discussed and in part because female Corrin is just more popular, but I guess they just wanted to keep Ultimate consistent with Smash 4.
They probably realized the female Corrin was/is the only one that matters

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As far as what it would take for me to be satisfied with this Direct, giving me a release date on those Shovel Knight amiibo would be enough for me. Those things were shown off last August, and we STILL have no idea when we can expect to see them.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Imagine if the Nindie direct goes by, and right before it ends.

Reggie: Ohbytheway, nintendodirectnextweek.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they anounced it waaaaay too soon. But they said they would release it along with King of Cards, so I suppose, it will be simultanious

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I realized something else against the likelihood of an announcement, the direct will be at 1am or so in Japan. Sure the Smash Direct was at like 11pm but that's still a difference.

I don't know, maybe if it is something it will be more overseas related, but honestly I'm even starting to think this direct will mostly be a rehash of the last nindie direct and Gamescom, which is really dissapointing as a Nintendo fan in general.
Oof, already bashing Nintendo before the presentation begins, based on what you think may happen? Also there's an extra 8 minutes in this direct

Edit: lost the source that said the latter part, but I'm fairly sure I saw this. Ah well, won't matter in a few hours

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Sakurai (re)tweeted nothing, makes the possibility of a reveal extremely unlikely. I know he did a surprise reveal for Shulk, but I doubt they would do that for an indie game/3rd party character.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I doubt there will be smash stuff in the direct, but I am hoping for Shantae regardless.

But I like indy stuff, so I'll enjoy the direct eitherway.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The fact that Sakurai (re)tweeted nothing, makes the possibility of a reveal extremely unlikely. I know he did a surprise reveal for Shulk, but I doubt they would do that for an indie game/3rd party character.
Did Sakurai retweet any of the general directs during Smash 4? I remember the Rosalina reveal being a huge surprise because we hadn't heard any real smash announcements in months (besides picture of the day etc).

Not saying it's likely, I just don't think Sakurai not retweeting a direct announcement means anything, specifically for future general directs.

Also I tried looking...did Japan post about this direct? I can't find it, is it even airing in Japan?

D

Deleted member

Cool, thanks. I'm at work for the next 6 hours....any links so I can watch in a mute, clandestine-like manner? lol

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh definitely not, it's certainly below those considering both have long surpassed a million whereas we're still in the dark on Samus Returns. Granted it's a remake unlike them, but that's still a game where Metroid fell short of FE.

Yeah, outside of Prime and the first two games it's always been that one series that despite its high reception usually stuck to the 1 million mark. It would be nice for it to get more recognition in its sales, but at least it's usually consistent.
Yeah, I think that's why Nintendo is doing Metroid Prime 4, since the Prime games always did better then the 2D ones released around then.
I can (sorta) confirm...

View attachment 160129
That link leads to a gamefaqs thread which discusses that video.

However, many people simply shoved it off, saying "why are these leaks appearing so frequently", "too much oddity to be believed", etc.

These are some of the response to this topic

Rich (BB code):
704: Look, it's a bait
707: Coooool. /s
723: It surreal how these leaks are so frequent
724: >>703 Yep, too strange to be believable.
725: What even is a leak...
726: Oogiri*
728: I should try making a leak too!
740: Seeing stuff like Crono and whatnot it only feels like you're just adding random guesses**. Definitely bait.
742: Actually to think of it what will happen if we make a long paragraph out of imagination and post in as a "leak" in the overseas boards?
744: Sounds fun
745: Shall we do it? Making our ideal leak?
etc.

*: Oogiri is a type of Japanese comedy involving giving ridiculous responses to a question. Seeing ridiculous leaks like this, it only makes sense they are thinking of leaks like that.
**: The list of leaked characters is quite different from what I see in the thread or the video. Not sure why
... by the looks at it, it seems like they're talking about a completely different leak, however.

Btw The list of leaked characters is:
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Geno
  • Isabelle
  • Ken
  • BDee
  • Crono
  • Hana (Wiggler?)
  • Shadow
  • Birdo
  • King Boo
  • Alakazam
I haven't exactly seen the original leak (in gamefaqs/4chan), but the lists seem to be completely unrelated. A lot of the excluded responses are about the ridiculousness of Alakazam. I'm guessing it's just a bait "leak" like those that always happen on Gamefaqs.

There was another mention of it one thread later, but that time the "leaked characters" became Banjo Kazooie and Rex. I'm not exactly sure if they have read the content, or if I actually missed something in the thread

TLDR: It is sorta "talked about", in form of a gamefaqs post on of video, but the actual content is very much missed and it seemed to be only a tool for introducing more fake leaks.
Hana could be Poppi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't know why she'd be separate from Tora or there without Rex & Pyra, but it's all I could think of.
That was probably why Wii Fit Trainer is female by default, too.

I like boy Corrin, but it'd be cool if they made girl Corrin default after Heroes (I think) did.
I was disappointed they did male by default for Corrin since Robin was already male by default..even more disappointed now since it's clear female Corrin is more popular then male Corrin worldwide, while Robin is more evenly popular. They even commented on the Japanese popularity polls being the reason for male Robin and female Corrin being the defaults in Warriors.
I doubt Lucina was added just to have a female fighter.

Also, one thing to note: Ultimate trailer showed Robin as male, while both versions of Corrin was there.

Female options are nice, as with male options. Personally I plan to play Robin and Inklings only when they are boys.
They probably shown female Corrin too due to her being vastly more popular than male Corrin.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Predictions from most likely to less likely.

1) Nothing smash related.
OR
2) Travis Touchdown reveal.

Staarih

Smash Master
Also I tried looking...did Japan post about this direct? I can't find it, is it even airing in Japan?
No, doesn’t seem so. Indie showcases seem to be region specific. It would air at like 1am in Japan anyway.

PAX West is approaching so that’s probably why the US wanted their own Nindie Showcase, after the EU one (which was right before Gamescom).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking they'll announce what the three Shovel Knight amiibos do and when they'll be released.

Wonder if any other indie series will get in on the amiibo train?

KMDP

Smash Legend
hula girl amiibo of Shantae... please?

:ultgreninja:'d

I'll take 64 please.

*places two on either side of K Rool*

"Ah see now that's art!"
I think if you used the right kind of motor/cog system, you could make the toy dance rhythmically, rather than just shaking her hips side to side without holding them in place for a bit..
Like this

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think if you used the right kind of motor/cog system, you could make the toy dance rhythmically, rather than just shaking her hips side to side without holding them in place for a bit..
See now ya gotta put that somewhere in the family room so company thinks you're cultured (I'm not but no harm in making others think I am :p)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Lucas is blond... Isaac is blond...

You know what that means, right guys?
Of course, Saber from the Fate series is coming to Smash. *sigh* If only.
I found an old list of most wanted characters I made while back

*Ice Climbers
*Wolf
*Snake
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Inkling/Squid Sisters
*Dixie Kong
*Krystal
*Daisy
*Elma
*King K. Rool
*Ridley
*Shantae

Of them, all the vets returned, we got Inkling, Daisy, King K. Rool and Ridley. We lost out on Squid Sistrs and Krystal with Elma and Dixie Kong still MIA.

Anyone else got old lists they wanna rate?
Before talking you all and going to different support threads, all I had/wanted was:
Lyn
Krystal
Amaterasu
Sora
Shantae

With Lyn and Krystal AT'd, I would of been left with just three characters to lean on. Before, when I was a lurker here on this site, If you'd asked me if thought Elma could make it in Smash I'd say "Who? Nah, not likely." If you'd asked me what I'd thought of a Persona newcomer like Yu and Joker coming to Smash I'd say "I'm not interested, plus I don't think they can make it into Smash."

Now look at me, Elma is my most wanted first party character, and I'll completely lose it if either Yu or Joker make it into the game. So hanging here, and chatting with you all definitely helped me learned more about your favorite characters, and expanded my horizons character wise. So I'm really thankful to everyone for that :)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Of course, Saber from the Fate series is coming to Smash. *sigh* If only.

Before talking you all and going to different support threads, all I had/wanted was:
Lyn
Krystal
Amaterasu
Sora
Shantae

With Lyn and Krystal AT'd, I would of been left with just three characters to lean on. Before, when I was a lurker here on this site, If you'd asked me if thought Elma could make it in Smash I'd say "Who? Nah, not likely." If you'd asked me what I'd thought of a Persona newcomer like Yu and Joker coming to Smash I'd say "I'm not interested, plus I don't think they can make it into Smash."

Now look at me, Elma is my most wanted first party character, and I'll completely lose it if either Yu or Joker make it into the game. So hanging here, and chatting with you all definitely helped me learned more about your favorite characters, and expanded my horizons character wise. So I'm really thankful to everyone for that :)
Just take a look at my most wanted list in my sig.

Before I joined Smashboards, it was pretty much just "Isaac, Agumon, Tails, Vaati"

Now? :laugh:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
My top 5 most wanted characters in Smash were:
Dark Samus
Amy Rose
Ashley
Isabelle
Ninten

Now, my top 5 most wanted characters in Smash are:
Isabelle
Kat & Ana
Ken Masters
Klonoa
Amy Rose

Troykv

Smash Master
I found an old list of most wanted characters I made while back

*Ice Climbers
*Wolf
*Snake
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Inkling/Squid Sisters
*Dixie Kong
*Krystal
*Daisy
*Elma
*King K. Rool
*Ridley
*Shantae

Of them, all the vets returned, we got Inkling, Daisy, King K. Rool and Ridley. We lost out on Squid Sistrs and Krystal with Elma and Dixie Kong still MIA.

Anyone else got old lists they wanna rate?
My most wanted characters from Pre-Ultimate? (Because from Pre Smash 4 DLC had changed a lot since I arrived to the site).

10. Waluigi
9. KOS-MOS
8. King K. Rool
7. Ashley
6. Crash Bandicoot
5. Ganon
4. Marx/Magolor
3. Adeleine
2. Bandana Waddle Dee

1. Micaiah.
Well... I got K. Rool at least... that is essencially an inherited desire from their fans xDU.

And these are my new most wanted.

10.- Elma. This is the weird one of the bunch; a character I mostly want because I found her gameplay possibilities incredible appealing; and her design is pretty.

9.- Cranky Kong. My favorite of the Kongs along with Funky (that it would be considered a honorable mention), his a very fun character to see around; he's meta as heck and I love the movement based in the Zelda 2 Air Attack xD

8.- Shadow the Hedgehog. I really like Shadow's style and color scheme; and think that makes me kind of a edge lord; but I had always loved to see how black and red (or similar colors) connect together; and I like his personality (well; some versions of it at least; I like the cocky, sharp but noble Shadow).

7.- KOS-MOS. She is a similar case to Elma's; but I like her design, style an abilities more; she is quite beautiful xD

6.- Decidueye. Cool and dorky Pokémon with a cool moveset and style; my Pokémon wants vary a lot because I know the trends of Smash Bros with Pokémon; so I don't know if I'll continue to want him after Gen 8; but he gave me a good impression.

5.- Crash Bandicoot. This is the first character in this Top that is here for nostalgia; I don't know how unique he would be actually; but damn; it would make my internal child happy to see him in Smash xD.

4.- Marx/Magolor. I love Kirby; and I love Magic Based Characters; and they fit both ideas, Kirby Star Allies already shows us some ideas of how would work a playable Marx xD (a bit overpower; but it has ideas to work around).

3.- Adeleine. Adeleine is probably my favorite Kirby character, and I really like her design, style and abilities; she is so cute!

2.- Bandana Waddle Dee. His position with Adeleine it can be interchangable; for the effects of this Top it doesn't matter a lot as far I remember; anyway; Bandana Dee was the underdog of the Kirby Series and now is considered and staple; quite impressive for a character that was probably created just to cover some gaps in Super Star Ultra and RtDL; he now has an identity; and special style and cute quirk; I really like him; also; Spear users are fun :p

1. Micaiah. She had been my most wanted character since the moment I actually start campaigning for Smash Bros Characters; I had always found her very unique as both a character and an unit between the Fire Emblem Cast; I thought it would be someone fun to have in a game like Smash, after all I love mages in videogames; but when I decided to know her more fondly I start to love her personality and her graceful presence, for her and my desire for her become even more personal; I would assure sure that she had change my life...

BTW I find very weird that Sothe has a Trophy and Micaiah doesn't.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Top 5 Smash wants pre-E3:
1. Fiora (she’s in Shulk’s Final Smash now. I don’t count it as a full deconfirmation due to the Fox/Falco/ZSS Final Smash thing, but it’s not looking good for her)
2. Elma
3. (Veteran) Snake (made it back!)
4. (Veteran) Ice Climbers (Welcome home!)
5. (Veteran) Wolf (The Wolf & Fox rivalry returns!)

Top 5 wants post 8/8 direct (Simon and Chrom confirmed, which is a huge plus for me!):
1. Still Elma, she’s not going anywhere
2. Isaac
3. Waddle Dee
4. Rhythm Heaven rep to complete the original Gematsu lineup now that we have Chrom
5. Neku Sakuraba (pls Sakurai, we’re even getting TWEWY Final Remix this year)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Predictions from most likely to less likely.

1) Nothing smash related.
OR
2) Travis Touchdown reveal.
I want this so bad! It could totally tie in to a release date annoucnement. However besides Travis being super unlikely, the direct not airing in Japan makes Travis super unlikely as Suda 51 is a Japanese developer...

Hopefully I still get the release date regardless lol.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
This brings me to the thought of where they could possibly go after this.

The two routes I've considered are porting Ultimate and beefing it up with a bunch of new characters and stages and all that every few years...
...or rebooting Smash into a full-on 2D fighter, like Guilty Gear.
I feel that the only way they could reboot smash is doing another completely original take of a genre... Persoanlly i see more simplified characters (so they can aim for a bigger roster) battling in teams for objectives in maze like stages... everything else would feel like... "why bother"? still... if ultimate is amazing, I think/hpe that unless is a fantastic reboot, ultimate will outlive it's successor kinda like melee and brawl. so i really want them to at least port this game into switchU4k or whatever and do a couple of DLC seasons for a lifetime of at least 10/12 years...

Regarding predictions..,. top 5 most wanted characters pre e3
-Simon Belmont
-Ridley
-Lyn
-no cuts
-Solaire (or anything Darksouls)

post e3:
-Simon and Richter gameplay (come onnnnn)
-Silvally
-Lycanrock
-Skull Kid
-Solaire

my predictions: (no more stages theory 3 more newcomers)
-Skull Kid
-Isabelle (as an original character)
-Geno

(no more stages theory 5 more newcomers)
-Skull Kid
-Isabelle (as an original character)
-Geno
-Incineroar (or other gen VII poke)
-Bandana Dee

(more stages, 5 more newcomers)
-Skull Kid
-Isaac
-Banjo Kazooie/Loyd irving
-Incineroar (or other gen VII poke)
-Bandana Dee

Echoes: Ordered in more likely to less likely
-Isabelle (unless is an original character)
-Shadow
-Impa
-Ken
-Dixie
-Black Knight
-Jeanne
-Medusa

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
1. Fiora (she’s in Shulk’s Final Smash now. I don’t count it as a full deconfirmation due to the Fox/Falco/ZSS Final Smash thing, but it’s not looking good for her)
2. Elma
3. (Veteran) Snake (made it back!)
4. (Veteran) Ice Climbers (Welcome home!)
5. (Veteran) Wolf (The Wolf & Fox rivalry returns!)

Top 5 wants post 8/8 direct (Simon and Chrom confirmed, which is a huge plus for me!):
1. Still Elma, she’s not going anywhere
2. Isaac
3. Waddle Dee
4. Rhythm Heaven rep to complete the original Gematsu lineup now that we have Chrom
5. Neku Sakuraba (pls Sakurai, we’re even getting TWEWY Final Remix this year)
Heck I'll steal this

1. Snake *Thankfully Real*
2. Waluigi *Unthankfully not Real :(*
3. Deathborn
4. Chibi Robo
5. Dante

Post 8/8:
1. Deathborn
2. Chibi Robo
3. Doom Slayer
4. Eggman
5. Black Shadow

Enchess

Smash Lord
I want to play a game, place you favorite already confirmed newcomer in one of the following tiers, Top, High, Mid, Low, and Bottom
:ultinkling: High Tier, Inkling has good damage output but poor killing potential, remind you of anyone? :4sheik:
:ultkrool: is top tier because even getting to play as him makes you a winner.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I want to play a game, place you favorite already confirmed newcomer in one of the following tiers, Top, High, Mid, Low, and Bottom
:ultinkling: High Tier, Inkling has good damage output but poor killing potential, remind you of anyone? :4sheik:
I'll just put them all here then

:ultsimon: High Tier, start up will be a problem for him, but his range will be outrageous. They could make it have bad damage output...

:ultrichter: Top Tier, seems to be a faster version of Simon, may sacrifice range for speed.

:ultinkling: High Tier, People Hypothesized this since e3 and I'm not gonna reapeat them

:ultdaisy: Mid Tier, I dunno, just gonna say that :p

:ultridley: Low Tier, Too Big, Too slow

:ultkrool: High Tier, A good heavyweight that's surprisingly super fast. His neutral air seems to be scary as it covers a lot of space...

:ultdarksamus: Low Tier, Seems to be a floatier version of Samus....

:ultchrom: Mid Tier, Aether seems unsafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom