• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In Heroes male and female Corrin are treated as totally separate characters. It's actually Warriors that made female the default.

It still probably would have been the better move for Smash to do this anyway, in part for the reasons discussed and in part because female Corrin is just more popular, but I guess they just wanted to keep Ultimate consistent with Smash 4.
My bad, for some reason, I keep mixing up stuff in Heroes and Warriors.

They changed Ike, though. But you're right, they probably wanted to keep his first version.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sakurai really is going out with the fan requests, i'm happy for everyone!
it must be nice to finally get a character you want in the game...
I wouldn't know, I haven't gotten the characters I wanted yet. I've been waiting for Lyn and Krystal for ten years only for them to be Assist Trophies (Lyn being one three times in a row:(), and I haven't gotten at least one person on my list.

But despite all that, I'm happy that there are people who are finally getting their characters, after waiting for so long (Ridley, King K. Rool, Simon), it's a lot better then none of us on here getting the characters we want, the base roster isn't finished yet, DLC is most likely happening, and Sakurai is unpredictable who knows who he'll show off next so I still have hope that some of my wanted characters will make it in. I even still have hope that you'll get Ashley later on, and some Assist Trophies too.

Since Ultimate seems to be in for the long haul, I'm willing believe in playable AT characters later down the line, it's not impossible to say the least.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
You're forgetting that Sakurai added the female Pokemon Trainer.

Also you might as well count Miis if you're counting avatars.
True! I totally forgot about that! And I'm very excited to play as female PT, but that's me being me :laugh:

I'm not counting Miis as female representation, though. They are blank slates, they can be whatever you want. Even Hitler.

But yeah, I know it's not a Sakurai problem but a Nintendo (and gaming in general) problem that we don't have more female characters. But he did talk about adding more female fighters in 4 because there were so few of them, so I do think that that's something he might have in mind this time around too.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lucas is blond... Isaac is blond...
I mean... Lucas is a blond JRPG protagonist from the Game Boy Advance... just like Isaac...

Mother fans have been requesting Mother 3 for years... Golden Sun fans have been requesting Isaac in Smash for years...

I am, of course, being mostly facetious. XD

It's just more weird coincidences swirling nebulously around Rathalos. :laugh:

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
*sunlight intensifies*
Gen 3 Pokemon confirmed!

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
That was probably why Wii Fit Trainer is female by default, too.

I like boy Corrin, but it'd be cool if they made girl Corrin default after Heroes (I think) did.
I pretty much pretend he isn't even in. I loved her so much better. Also the whole character itself feel so different from everyone else. It's sort of silly that they add Lucina for female representation, and then make male Corrin the default. Glad to see that Warriors embraced her.
Edit: do like to add that I super appreciate the female versions added. It's a small thing for some, but having that option in games means quite a bit for me when it's appropiate(like vague protaginists like the Trainer).
E

Last edited:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I'm very excited for the Nindies showcase today, not because of potential Smash stuff mainly because it's not gonna happen, please do yourself a favor and don't kid yourself but because we'll finally get a peek at that sweet Shovel Knight battle mode.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I'm very excited for the Nindies showcase today, not because of potential Smash stuff mainly because it's not gonna happen, please do yourself a favor and don't kid yourself but because we'll finally get a peek at that sweet Shovel Knight battle mode.
WE DO? OH BOY, maybe finally also a king of cards release date pretty please. And Amiibo release date. The Shovel Knight Amiibo is the only one I own and I want the otherknights too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I pretty much pretend he isn't even in. I loved her so much better. Also the whole character itself feel so different from everyone else. It's sort of silly that they add Lucina for female representation, and then make male Corrin the default. Glad to see that Warriors embraced her.
Edit: do like to add that I super appreciate the female versions added. It's a small thing for some, but having that option in games means quite a bit for me when it's appropiate(like vague protaginists like the Trainer).
E
I doubt Lucina was added just to have a female fighter.

Also, one thing to note: Ultimate trailer showed Robin as male, while both versions of Corrin was there.

Female options are nice, as with male options. Personally I plan to play Robin and Inklings only when they are boys.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We better be quick on the draw for the amiibo. Load up the page and spam F5 as soon as the event is over if any are announced.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
WE DO? OH BOY, maybe finally also a king of cards release date pretty please. And Amiibo release date. The Shovel Knight Amiibo is the only one I own and I want the otherknights too.
Well, that's just what I'm inferring since Yacht Club said we are gonna see a brand new addition to Treasure Trove today, and they are planning to also sell Battle Mode as a standalone game as they did with all the other Knight campaigns.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I doubt Lucina was added just to have a female fighter.

Also, one thing to note: Ultimate trailer showed Robin as male, while both versions of Corrin was there.

Female options are nice, as with male options. Personally I plan to play Robin and Inklings only when they are boys.
I saw someone mentioning here that that was the reason Lucina got in over Chrom previously. They might have been making stuff up. But I could see it as a possible reason.
Well, that's just what I'm inferring since Yacht Club said we are gonna see a brand new addition to Treasure Trove today, and they are planning to also sell Battle Mode as a standalone game as they did with all the other Knight campaigns.
Ah okay, didn't know they would sell battlemode seperately. Especially considering I did not expect it to be a very full fledged game like the campaigns are. I am super curious though, especially on wether Shield Knight is gonna be playable too. I hope so.

When does this thing start, I can't find it anywhere for some reason.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

You know what that means, right guys?

Ken for Smash Ultimate confirmed you read it here first spread the word
It was infront of our face the entire time. They played us like a dang fiddle!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't know if Sakurai's is going to try to add more female characters to the roster or if he feels satisfied with what he did in 4 and thinks that that's enough.
I'd assume the latter since we only got :ultinkling: and :ultdaisy: as far as female newcomers are concerned. In contrast, at the point we got like 8-10 newcomers revealed in Smash 4, we got :4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena: with :4miif::4villagerf: being options.

Wait, are people gonna unironically consider that Lucas/Rathalos pic as Isaac confirmation because of the camera angle?
Not me.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

You know what that means, right guys?

Ken for Smash Ultimate confirmed you read it here first spread the word
"We have decided to change the name of the latest entry in the Super Smash Brother series from 'Super Smash Brothers Ultimate" to Super Blond Brothers Ultimate", please understand" - Sakurai, probably.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think you're....missing the point or my point is flying over your head. We're not talking about Midgar in FF7. We're talking about the Midgar stage in Smash Brothers.

I don't even know anymore. Just......continue on my child.
Yup. It in fact did go over my head. My bad lol.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think a Monster Hunter character is pretty much deconfirmed now, MH didn't get it's own icon or "series" on the blog which just makes me think they aren't putting up anymore MH related posts.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found an old list of most wanted characters I made while back

*Ice Climbers
*Wolf
*Snake
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Inkling/Squid Sisters
*Dixie Kong
*Krystal
*Daisy
*Elma
*King K. Rool
*Ridley
*Shantae

Of them, all the vets returned, we got Inkling, Daisy, King K. Rool and Ridley. We lost out on Squid Sistrs and Krystal with Elma and Dixie Kong still MIA.

Anyone else got old lists they wanna rate?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

*Ice Climbers
*Wolf
*Snake
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Inkling/Squid Sisters
*Dixie Kong
*Krystal
*Daisy
*Elma
*King K. Rool
*Ridley
*Shantae

Of them, all the vets returned, we got Inkling, Daisy, King K. Rool and Ridley. We lost out on Squid Sistrs and Krystal with Elma and Dixie Kong still MIA.

Wolf
King K. Rool
Phoenix Wright
Snake
Ridley
Black Shadow
Ice Climbers
Dixie Kong
Pichu
Paper Mario (not Sticker Star/Colour Splash)

I am doing prettyyyy pretty good, to quote Larry David.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think a Monster Hunter character is pretty much deconfirmed now, MH didn't get it's own icon or "series" on the blog which just makes me think they aren't putting up anymore MH related posts.
To be fair, there's no Castlevania logo on Alucard's post.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

*Ice Climbers
*Wolf
*Snake
*Squirtle
*Ivysaur
*Inkling/Squid Sisters
*Dixie Kong
*Krystal
*Daisy
*Elma
*King K. Rool
*Ridley
*Shantae

Never really had a list that I kept through all of the games, but I do remember some of the characters.

While playing Brawl, I always thought about how much I’d like Mewtwo back, and how cool Midna and Ivy would be. I was really on the Ridley and K. Rool trains for Sm4sh speculation, and I was really bummed to have lost the Pokémon Trainer and Wolf. I really didn’t have much of a support list there though.

I guess I’m finally satisfied for Sm4sh, but I never got my Brawl wants. With Cloud showing us how open the field is, I’ve added the Dragonborn as my #1, but Tails is a close #2 for me as well.

Kinda funny that I was decently anti-third party before Brawl, was hesitant for Sm4sh, and now my top two are both third party.

Untouch

Smash Master
To be fair, there's now Castlevania logo on Alucard's post.
If you click where the icon should be, it brings you to the castlevania posts, it doesn't do that for the Rathalos post and it doesn't for the Snipperclips music post either.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wait, are people gonna unironically consider that Lucas/Rathalos pic as Isaac confirmation because of the camera angle?
I'm not, it's close... sort of... if you accept it being mirrored.

I think the choice of Lucas (a Blond, JRPG protagonist from the GBA) would be slightly more compelling as evidence.

Even then, it could also be a reference to the start of Mother 3, so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does anyone find it weird that Ashley isn’t in the list of Assist Trophies on the site yet? Never mind being shown in the AT list in the direct but not even being named...oof

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I’m taking the direct today with grain of salt we will get a surprise character reveal in the nindies direct
I realized something else against the likelihood of an announcement, the direct will be at 1am or so in Japan. Sure the Smash Direct was at like 11pm but that's still a difference.

I don't know, maybe if it is something it will be more overseas related, but honestly I'm even starting to think this direct will mostly be a rehash of the last nindie direct and Gamescom, which is really dissapointing as a Nintendo fan in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom