• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I want to play a game, place you favorite already confirmed newcomer in one of the following tiers, Top, High, Mid, Low, and Bottom
:ultinkling: High Tier, Inkling has good damage output but poor killing potential, remind you of anyone? :4sheik:
:ultinkling::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter: will all be either top, high, mid, low, or bottom.

Bold prediction I know, but I'm sticking to it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, something I was thinking about...

Before Smash 4, Sakurai made a point about wanting more female fighters in the franchise. If you stop to think about it, in Brawl we only had Peach, Zelda, Sheik (and she's controversial in that aspect), Samus and Samus 2, and half a fighter in the form of Nana. Only one more female fighter than in Melee, and it was Samus without a suit. Yay representation! So in 4 they added a lot more of female fighters: female!Wii Fit Trainer, female!Villager, Rosalina, Lucina, Palutena, female!Robin, Bayonetta and female!Corrin. Quite a lot of them, in fact more female newcomers in one game than all the female characters we had had so far.

But in Ultimate, so far we only have female!Inkling and Daisy, 2 out of 8 characters. 3 if you want to count Dark Samus, although DS is more an it than a she. And if we take a look at the List of Most Requested Newcomers By Smash Bros. Fans™, there are not a lot of female characters in there: Dixie Kong, Isabelle, Shantae, Medusa, Elma... Kazooie? Versus a myriad of tough guys (Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Rayman, Shadow, Sora, Bandana Dee, Rex, Crash Bandicoot, Black Knight, Ken, and a long etc.). And some of the most popular female choices have already been deconfirmed (Krystal, Ashley, Midna, Lyn...).

I don't know if Sakurai's is going to try to add more female characters to the roster or if he feels satisfied with what he did in 4 and thinks that that's enough. But fact is, if he wants to add more women to the cast, his options are more and more limited each time. Which doesn't talk well about female representation in Nintendo games and gaming in general, to be fair.
Nintendo nor Smash does political statements. Reggie was quite clear on this.

Dixie Kong and Impa are still my most wanted though. And there's quite a few other females left to be included as Elma and Isabelle, so I don't think there's much to worry about honestly.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Who’s even expecting anything Smash related revealed in the Indie Direct.

News Flash: THEY’RE NOT:troll:

As much as I want to something else there, there most likely won’t be any because it takes away the spotlight massively from them. At most all I see is a direct announcement but that’s it.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think a Monster Hunter character is pretty much deconfirmed now, MH didn't get it's own icon or "series" on the blog which just makes me think they aren't putting up anymore MH related posts.
I don't think it's getting a character, but ATs seem to be inconsistent when it comes to icons. Rodin's AT update for instance didn't have Bayonetta's icon even though he's clearly from the same series and has the tab for it.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Who’s even expecting anything Smash related revealed in the Indie Direct.

News Flash: THEY’RE NOT:troll:

As much as I want to something else there, there most likely won’t be any because it takes away the spotlight massively from them. At most all I see is a direct announcement but that’s it.
Actually my uncle who got in touch with Sakurai and he's going to put my OC's from the webcomic that I'm never going to make in the game. It's true look it up.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
:ultridley: Low Tier, Too Big, Too slow

:ultkrool: High Tier, A good heavyweight that's surprisingly super fast. His neutral air seems to be scary as it covers a lot of space...
Is Ridley really THAT much slower than K Rool? I mean, he's definitely slower in the air movement wise but the ground is a different story.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo nor Smash does political statements. Reggie was quite clear on this.

Dixie Kong and Impa are still my most wanted though. And there's quite a few other females left to be included as Elma and Isabelle, so I don't think there's much to worry about honestly.
I didn't know representing a certain group of people was a "political statement"

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Exciting News! I just come across a piece fo information regarding today's Direct. I won't say where i work, i only say that i work at NoAs Marketing branch in the print department cubicle 15... buuut our boss just showed us teh direct and i can only say that at the end of the Nindies direct the screen will go to red, the switch logo will appear and..... the most exciting part is.... NOTHING will be revealed for smash! you hear right, nothing! his gameplay is a mixture between void and empitness. I know is surprising cause no one voted nothing on teh ballot, but thats right!

Believe me if you want, soon You will have proof that im legit.

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
No way Ridley is low tier. He has too many good things to be low. But his disadvantages might stop him making it past mid. He's very hard to gauge.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Is Ridley really THAT much slower than K Rool? I mean, he's definitely slower in the air movement wise but the ground is a different story.
Without proper comparison or data it's hard to say, but footage shows that neither are that slow anyway and impressions from top players never list it as an issue for Ridley so it's probably not a weakness of his.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultinkling:- Top High
:ultkrool: - High
:ultsimon::ultrichter:- Near Low High
:ultdaisy::ultridley:- High Mid
:ultchrom:- Mid Mid
:ultdarksamus:- Low...Mid

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want to play a game, place you favorite already confirmed newcomer in one of the following tiers, Top, High, Mid, Low, and Bottom
:ultinkling: High Tier, Inkling has good damage output but poor killing potential, remind you of anyone? :4sheik:
My guesses for the newcomers:

Top Tier: :ultsimon::ultrichter:

Their range looks straight up scary, and they got a lot of power it seems as well. Might take a while for them to catch up, but I do believe they have the potential to be real dangerous.

High Tier: :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley:

Inkling seems quite well designed, long ranged options plenty, and good speed with some probable combos. I can see them struggle to land kills though if they don't have kill confirms.

King K.Rool gets the benefit of the doubt here. He's quite damn surprisingly fast, and has power that scares even the likes of DK and Bowser. Might overall be the most powerful character in the game even. Plus he's got two rather powerful and useful projectiles, and a counter. So his on-stage pressence will be feared. Even his aerials seem very strong and useable. Won't be Top Tier though because he's combo-bait and seems easily to edgeguard with how his recovery works.

Ridley seems like lower High Tier because his recovery seems straight up bad, and he's a big, laggy target who's not all too heavy for a supposed heavy weight. Might be considered as very strong early on, but due to people knowing how to deal with Ridley, he'll likely be exploited fast and thus hindering his overal viability.

Mid Tier: :ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultdaisy:

Dark Samus has a better overall roll than Samus, but is even floatier and that could ruin her survivability a lot. Samus overall seems not much better than in Smash 4, and I doubt there will be a lot of buffs overall. All will depend on how well the missiles work this time, but I have learned not to expect too much from them.

Chrom seems better than Roy overall, despite what people say. Shame that Roy also isn't that solid of a character, even if I love to play as the Young Lion. Chrom will combine the speed of Roy with Lucina's even blade, and that instantly makes him better than Roy, except his recovery is probably gonna suffer from having Ike's Up B. It's probably worth the trade off in most cases, as Roy isn't great at recovering himself tho... So I expect somewhere Middle Tier for Chrom.

Daisy has no actual footage yet, but guessing from Peach's placement, who didn't seem to have changed much from Smash 4, and Smash 4 Peach not changing much from Brawl Peach either so... Yeah, not much to go by.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don't think it's getting a character, but ATs seem to be inconsistent when it comes to icons. Rodin's AT update for instance didn't have Bayonetta's icon even though he's clearly from the same series and has the tab for it.
That's too bad honestly, having Monster Hunter as a newcomer would've been awesome, and they are on my list, but that just mean another Capcom Newcomer will join the battle.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I didn't know representing a certain group of people was a "political statement"
In reality we're only getting so many villains because Nintendo want to promote murder and violence.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I think about 80% of the comments in the Youtube chat right now contain the word "smash".
It will be funny when the kids realise nothing is happening though.

It is a direct about independent developers: a medium that is hard to gain any attention. They won't shoehorn a multi million AAA title to nullify them.

That is why Sakurai did not tell us to tune in
It is not about Nintendo or rich millionaires.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well 6 minutes to go.

Don't expect anything Smash but we shall see.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
It would be cool if they show some smash news but I don't think that happens. It would take the spotlight a way from the nindies

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I may be late to this topic but Lucas being attacked by the Rathalos in the picture could be a reference to [SPOILER="Mother 3 spoilers"the Dark Dragon in Mother 3, or the Mecha Drago. May be a Stretch, Though.[/SPOILER]

Apologies if the tag doesn't work. the preview did not.

Edit: damn it

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Pre-E3 (I'll make it pre-March even) for me

Inkling
Ridley
Dark Samus
Krystal
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle/Ivysaur returning even as individuals)

Honorary mentions to K. Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee, Shantae and Spring Man.

Post August Direct
Shantae
Bandana Waddle Dee
Medusa
Spring Man
Dillon

HM to Rex/Pyra, Banjo &Kazooie, Ken, Isabelle and Geno

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
it is when most people actually arguing for this want ''muh representation'' just for the sake of it and not because they actually like the characters.

I'd say that it would be very nice to have more female characters indeed but to be fair it's not like there's a whole lot of actually interesting or likeable ones in many mainstream Nintendo titles which i hope is being adressed in future titles of individual series. What we got for Smash is actually ''the best'' of them mostly per franchise ... except for Peach, Daisy, of course (talking abour representing women here, they are terrible representatives character wise)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:ultridley: Mid Tier, he has a lot of moves that connect well into each other, decent mixups as far as approaching goes (which is important as he'll likely be an aggressive character), very strong in advantageous situations (edgeguarding, opponent above him), and his mobility is pretty good for a heavy. His recovery is very exploitable though, I imagine he has problems closing the gap against projectile heavy characters as his own are very bad in neutral, and as always being a big body never helps anyone in Smash.

I think his matchups will be a bit extreme, he'll be good against a lot of the cast, but suffer against characters that are likely to be among the top tiers (Sheik, Bayo).

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Guys, I know trolling is fun, but let's not. Someone might believe you and get excited (then bummed out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom