• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
That's really impressive. Considering the games that would seemingly sell better on other platforms like God of War and the like, ultimate beating that with only pre-orders is super cool. I wonder what the final sales numbers will be for it.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Dumb Smash misconceptions, huh?

Smash 64:
- At the time I hadn't played a Zelda game before and based on the way the announcer said his name, I thought Link's name was Lee.

- I thought there was a way to get inside the Great Fox.

- I thought you could unlock the cliff and bedroom from the opening as stages.

- I thought Master Hand was Glover.

- I thought Ness was an old forgotten Nintendo mascot.

Melee:
- I thought this was the first time you ever saw Zelda (as in, I thought she was a named, but unseen character in her series).

- I remember looking up how to unlock all of the characters and after seeing the names, these were my interpretations of who the characters I was unfamiliar with were:
- I thought Ganondorf was Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.
- I thought Falco was Captain Falcon's sidekick.
- I thought Mr. Game & Watch lived inside the store in the Onett stage.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Smash characters that made me go "Who?" when announced:
Ice Climbers
Game & Watch
Every Fire Emblem character

While I might not have played every franchise in Smash, I at least knew where all the other characters were from.

I'm 34, you know.
39 here.

Probably why all my character requests are NES era...

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
- I thought Falco was Captain Falcon's sidekick.
Same here :laugh: I didn't know **** about F-Zero or Starfox at the time, so when I saw Falco in the roster I remember I told my sister 'hey! they put Captain Falcon's pet!".

My first Smash game was 64 and I only knew :mario64::luigi64::dk64::yoshi64::link64::kirby64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:. I had no idea who Fox was or which game he was from, same with Captain Falcon, and although I knew about Metroid I was pretty sure that Samus was a robot. Well, I was 5 years-old at the time and 8 when Melee came out.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I read the Melee manual wrong at first and thought that Zelda transformed into Sheik and then Sheik transformed into Link.

Also, I cleared classic mode without using the A button. I just used the specials and the Z button to grab

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Gonna play this game aswell, but without Smash 64 as I only played that way later, so it's not exactly relevant.

Melee:
Series I had played: :mariomelee::yoshimelee::pikachumelee:

Melee was pretty much my gateway into Nintendo, I owned a Gameboy and Gameboy Advance, but my selection of actual Nintendo games on them were limited, so I had no idea who the majority of the characters were. I first played it at a friend's house, and Jigglypuff being in was what convinced me to get a Gamecube and the game myself.

Brawl:
Series I had played: :mario2::link2::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::popo::gw::pit::wario:

This is mostly a result of Melee's impact on me, although a few of them are also there because the pre-release hype led me to play them. I learned a lot about retro gaming and Nintendo's history during this period, I spent many hours on GameTrailers and Brawl Central just researching what next I should play. I had also figured out how emulators worked, which made it easier to play some of the older games like IC and KI, if my toaster computer could run it of course.

Smash 4:
Series I had played: :4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4ness::4falcon::4marth::4gaw::4pit::4wario::4sonic::4megaman::4littlemac::4mii::4pacman::4duckhunt::4ryu:

At this point it's much easier to list the franchises I hadn't played. Between Brawl and Smash 4's reveal I played through a lot of classic titles while also keeping up with several of my favorite series, and the year and a half pre-release period of the game that followed also allowed me to play a few of the series that had previously evaded me, like Mother and Fire Emblem. Most of the series introduced in Smash 4 I had played in advance though.

Ultimate:
Series I had played: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultpit::ultwario::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultsimon:

Not much difference here outside of having played Wii Fit when visiting family and Castlevania getting in. I don't think I'm going to add many more series to the list from this point on, the few that I haven't played yet don't interest me a whole lot, and I expect most of the remaining newcomers to be from already established series. The one exception is Final Fantasy which has been on my to-play list since forever, I should probably get around to that soon.

Last edited:

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I only played training mode with non-moving AI and spammed Kirby's jab and thought I was super good. Dark times.

One of my freinds in the Brawl days thought Ness and Lucas were THE Smash Bros in the title.

Last edited:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
When I was a toddler playing Smash 64, I had never ever heard of EarthBound in my life, so I thought Ness, looking like an ordinary kid, was supposed to represent the real world, and his psychic attacks were just so the developers could make him fight.

Also when I encountered Ness and beat him as a kid (I was alone in my room at the time), I vividly remember running and screaming to my older brother that I unlocked a new character all by myself.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Games I played in the timeline thing to the best of my memory.

64: :mario64::kirby64::pikachu64::yoshi64: (I knew of DK, but to this day I haven't really played any of the DK series games. I've only played a level or two and I'm not counting that.)

Melee::mariomelee::pikachumelee::pichumelee::kirbymelee::yoshimelee: (I got Melee like what 2 years later? So not much changed. I'm tracking every Pokemon gen, so I played gens 1 & 2 at this point. I played more series during Melee's lifetime, but I'm counting from the time I started playing the game).

Brawl: :mario2::pikachu2::link2::toonlink::wario::olimar::yoshi2::falcon::popo::sonic::fox: :kirby2:(played a lot more between Melee and Brawl. Technically played a little Metroid, but not enough for me to count it just yet. I still didn't know anything about the series. I counted Links seperately because WW was a big deal for me. Also no Lucario means no Gen 4 because I hopped off Pokemon for a minute).

4: :4mario::4villager::4link::4alph::4wario::4wiifit::4samus::4sonic::4pacman::4fox::4duckhunt::4pikachu::4lucario::4greninja::4lucas::4shulk::4mii::4kirby::4falcon: (All pre-dlc. Notice I've played Gen 4 and more this time. Also Lucas signifies having only played Mother 3).

Ultimate::ultmario::ultwario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultyoshi::ultwiifittrainer::ultsonic::ultroy::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultpikachu::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultlucas::ultlink::ultkirby::ultfox::ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultinkling::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers: (Fire emblems signify GBA Fire Emblems, Awakening and Fates).

Quick things - Lots of third parties I haven't played, never played a DK game, been meaning to actually play Earthbound/Mother 2 for more than 15 minutes, and out of all the games I regret not playing yet, Kid Icarus: Uprising is probably the highest on that list.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Melee was my first game (with 64 being the second)
I remember playing the Adventure mode, and out of the blue, suddenly Luigi came out jumping on Mario's head, and I was blown away!
I could not figure out for the life of me how Luigi would appear, I tried to show my friends and hurried the first level as Captain Falcon many times, with no Luigi. They thought I lied, but suddenly it worked again, and they were just as blown away as me!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For the first Smash, I had heard about everyone except for Captain Falcon. In fact, I didn't know F-Zero even had characters.

Also, before the game came out, the first preview screenshot in Nintendo Power led me to mistakenly assume that there was a platforming mode, and that Fox was one of the enemies (it was actually Training Mode).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kurogane's grab range data is flawed, as it's only focused on the length of the grab's hitbox measured in a vacuum, with no regards to its actual location on the character; the problem with ROB's grab isn't that the hitbox itself is short, but that most of the hitbox is located inside of him, meaning the actual grab reach from his model is extremely short, giving him the worst actual grab reach in the game. Here is how his grab hitbox looks like:

The same problem also extends to his dash grab and pivot grab.
The grab hitbox should've at least fully covered R.O.B.'s arms.

View attachment 159955Yes, it truly does.

I also watched those videos before.
To be very fair, Gravitational Pull pretty much has to have a large absorbing hitbox, but the main problem is that that very hitbox lasts for almost the whole entire animation; there's only one frame where the hitbox isn't active.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Honestly, do you expect more Fire Emblem Heroes content in Smash Ultimate?
I do think it's quite possible, and if they do I want Fjorm, having a lancer with the ability to control ice, should hopefully quell the angry mob.
Imagine yourself wearing one "something" of each of your wishlist / predictions…
I need to wear a Majora's mask, an Isaac's scarf, a Geno's hat, a Banjo's backpack, Lloyd's swords, Sora's collar and Isabelle's…skirt… Ok I'm probably going to prision looking like that, lol
Easy, Amaterasu's divine reflector she has on her back, Shantae's arm bracelets, Elma's shirt, Sora's Keyblade, Rayman's shoes, Rex's anchor shot (attached to Shantae's bracelet), Joker's mask, Gardevoir's spike, Blaze the Cat's gem on her head, Fjorm's lance (held on my back), Valkyrie's helmet, and Isaac's pants. See pretty easy ga-
of each of your wishlist / predictions…
*looks at Wishlist/predictions* *whimpers* *2 hours later* *random muffle noises* "Help! I can't move" *KA-Thud*... "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"
So anyone here is gonna actually watch that Nindies direct in one more day?
Yep, I want to see what new games are coming out. Also I'm hoping that by the end of the Direct they'll have 'one more thing' to announce, and reveal Shantae. I'm not expecting her, but I'm hoping see her revealed. It just makes sense to reveal her on the Nindies, plus WayForward have been oddly quiet about wanting Shantae in Smash even to the point that they don't respond to any Smash related questions.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I think we haven't seen Young Link's for one particular reason: Skull Kid. If Skull Kid is a character in Smash now, YL could possibly have his MM items.
Interesting. There’s no alts for ZSS either, which gives me hope they heard the backlash and reevaluated some things. I know it’s more realistic and stuff, and I hate myself but I just can’t get used to the new look.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Imagine yourself wearing one "something" of each of your wishlist / predictions…
I need to wear a Majora's mask, an Isaac's scarf, a Geno's hat, a Banjo's backpack, Lloyd's swords, Sora's collar and Isabelle's…skirt… Ok I'm probably going to prision looking like that, lol
...ok, this is an interesting game, to say the least. And at least two of my most wanted don't really have much in the clothing department.

But I've got the Dragonborn's helmet, Tails' shoes, Urbosa's skirt, Midna's hair, Skull Kid's...shirt, I guess, and Ivy's sword. At least i'm fully dressed, but I'd look a bit weird.

To be fair, Tails hasn't even shown up in official material or officially released screenshots. Just the demo for Smash Ultimate. Maybe if we've clearly seen Tails in the background in one of the directs maybe there'd be a case for it being a strong deconfirm. But it certainly isn't quite there yet.

I do think at the very least Tails should get something more then just the cameo even if he's not playable. Tails and Knuckles both got Mii costumes and Knuckles already got upgraded to Assist. We don't know Shadow's status and he could be an echo fighter. Just might be mighty annoying if both Shadow and Knuckles get some sort of upgrade while Tails gets nothing more then the cameo and Mii costume (Though that may open him up to be DLC if it is that way in the base game). I'd gladly take Tails as a 2nd Sonic assist trophy as much as it'd hurt at first.
All of this.

I usually don't consider a character disconfirmed until they have a legit role in the game more than just 'exist in the background in such a way that most people don't notice.' But we haven't yet seen that exactly broken. Everyone likes to point to Toon Link, but he was playable first, and then revealed for a later game.

Still, even though Tails' popularity has waned a bit, he is still Sonic's #2. It'd just feel wrong for him to get forgotten while Shadow and Knucles get promoted.

Inb4 Tails only gets a normal trophy
...and that's what I'm expecting. :urg: Hopefully they pull something out...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I’m out hear wearing Porky’s red-and-black-striped suit, Majora’s Mask, and Banjo’s Backpack, with an oversized trident in my hand.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My problem with ZSS’s Ultimate model isn’t her reduced boobs, it’s her uncanny valley eyes and lips, like damn what happened to you girl :eek:

Her hair looks kinda...not as dynamic too. At least her Photoshopped-to-hell-and-back render looks alright

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My current predictions -

Unique Characters:
#68. Pokemon newcomer -
Added into every game. No brainer. I'm not 100% if it will be Incineroar though.

#69. Isaac - Added due to popularity and ballot. Sakurai will bring him back for the fans like K. Rool.

#70. Skull Kid - Too much evidence. One of the most popular Zelda characters, mii costume in 4, assist is missing, Moon has replaced him with Skull Kid weirdly not summoning it, YL's final smash being hidden and him supposedly being 'leaked'. And THE CHAIRS.

#71. Geno - Added due to popularity and ballot. Mii costume in 4. Sakurai literally wants him in. Has been requested for years.

#72. Banjo and Kazooie - Very popular in the ballot. Was the number 1 choice on Smash Reddit. Sakurai will bring the bear and bird back to Nintendo for the fans

Echos:
16ε. Impa
27ε. Dark Meta Knight
35ε. Dixie
38ε. Shadow
45ε. Isabelle
54ε. Medusa
55ε. Ms Pac-Man
60ε. Ken
69ε. Felix

Last 6 stages (THERE WILL BE MORE):
Monster Hunter
- I think it is an actual stage. Is only flat when playing against Rathalos in Spirits mode like when battling Dracula in Dracula's Castle.

Ultra Space - Ties in with Incineroar. Ultra Beasts have been noticeably absent and it isn't because it was too late to add them because Marshadow is in the game. I think they will appear as stage hazards in this stage.

Venus Lighthouse - Isaac's home stage. I don't know much about GS but Isaac did really good in the ballot so I think he'll come back like K. Rool.

Forest Maze - Geno's stage. The stage will look like it was ripped straight from Mario RPG instead of updated graphics

Minecrap World - 3rd party stage like MH stage. Leaked by Vergeban.

Spiral Mountain - Due to popular demand on the ballot Sakurai brings the Bear and Bird home along with their stage Spiral Mountain

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
My problem with ZSS’s Ultimate model isn’t her reduced boobs, it’s her uncanny valley eyes and lips, like damn what happened to you girl :eek:

Her hair looks kinda...not as dynamic too. At least her Photoshopped-to-hell-and-back render looks alright
The reduced boobs do look uncanny valley to me because she’s always been top heavy. It’s not as simple as “NO NOT THE B00BS NERR”. I just see it as one of her physical traits at this point.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
My current predictions -

Unique Characters:
#68. Pokemon newcomer -
Added into every game. No brainer. I'm not 100% if it will be Incineroar though.

#69. Isaac - Added due to popularity and ballot. Sakurai will bring him back for the fans like K. Rool.

#70. Skull Kid - Too much evidence. One of the most popular Zelda characters, mii costume in 4, assist is missing, Moon has replaced him with Skull Kid weirdly not summoning it, YL's final smash being hidden and him supposedly being 'leaked'. And THE CHAIRS.

#71. Geno - Added due to popularity and ballot. Mii costume in 4. Sakurai literally wants him in. Has been requested for years.

#72. Banjo and Kazooie - Very popular in the ballot. Was the number 1 choice on Smash Reddit. Sakurai will bring the bear and bird back to Nintendo for the fans

Echos:
16ε. Impa
27ε. Dark Meta Knight
35ε. Dixie
38ε. Shadow
45ε. Isabelle
54ε. Medusa
55ε. Ms Pac-Man
60ε. Ken
69ε. Felix

Monster Hunter
- I think it is an actual stage. Is only flat when playing against Rathalos in Spirits mode like when battling Dracula in Dracula's Castle.

Ultra Space - Ties in with Incineroar. Ultra Beasts have been noticeably absent and it isn't because it was too late to add them because Marshadow is in the game. I think they will appear as stage hazards in this stage.

Venus Lighthouse - Isaac's home stage. I don't know much about GS but Isaac did really good in the ballot so I think he'll come back like K. Rool.

Forest Maze - Geno's stage. The stage will look like it was ripped straight from Mario RPG instead of updated graphics

Spiral Mountain - Due to popular demand on the ballot Sakurai brings the Bear and Bird home along with their stage Spiral Mountain
If you haaaaad to pick a Pokemon who would you pick? I'd pick Decideueye, but I think that's me just being hopeful. He does having awesome concept art so hopefully Sakurai saw that and was sold.

Also I realllllly hope Skull Kid is in, not just because I really want him in now, but so many people are thinking of him as a given, or at least a 90%, and that will be some crazy backlash if we are all wrong. I do think he is very likely, but that's my point lol.

We've only seen two of young Link's alt colours. I suppose he could have a MM alt that changes his sword and shield (honestly that would be such a missed opportunity if he didn't). But it wouldn't surprise me if he basically has similar alts to Toon Link.

Last edited:

The Kirbyister

Smash Apprentice
My current predictions -

Unique Characters:
#68. Pokemon newcomer -

Echos:
16ε. Impa
27ε. Dark Meta Knight
35ε. Dixie
38ε. Shadow
45ε. Isabelle
54ε. Medusa
55ε. Ms Pac-Man
60ε. Ken
69ε. Felix

Monster Hunter

Yep I agree with this

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If you haaaaad to pick a Pokemon who would you pick? I'd pick Decideueye, but I think that's me just being hopeful. He does having awesome concept art so hopefully Sakurai saw that and was sold.
Decidueye because I love it's design and there's no ghost Pokemon playable in Smash yet. I'm not a huge Incineroar fan, it looks too human to me and I'd rather not have another fire type and dark type Pokemon in.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We've only seen two of young Link's alt colours. I suppose he could have a MM alt that changes his sword and shield (honestly that would be such a missed opportunity if he didn't). But it wouldn't surprise me if he basically has similar alts to Toon Link.
God seeing that boomerang just reminded me how dissapointing it is Link didn't get a sheikah slate side B. In fact now that he's gone back to a regular boomerang he's more like the other links. Seriously dissapointing :/
Decidueye because I love it's design and there's no ghost Pokemon playable in Smash yet. I'm not a huge Incineroar fan, it looks too human to me and I'd rather not have another fire type and dark type Pokemon in.
Same feelings, although I fear Sakurai won't take inspiration from his ghost typing, similar to how Greninja isn't really "Dark" (he's got Shadow Sneak I guess...). I hope if Decideueye got in it would have at least a couple ghost based specials.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
My current predictions -

Unique Characters:
#68. Pokemon newcomer -

Echos:
16ε. Impa
27ε. Dark Meta Knight
35ε. Dixie
38ε. Shadow
45ε. Isabelle
54ε. Medusa
55ε. Ms Pac-Man
60ε. Ken
69ε. Felix

Monster Hunter

No Bandana Dee? I honestly think he's the likeliest newcomer now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
No Bandana Dee? I honestly think he's the likeliest newcomer now.
Agreed, he's either number 1 or number 2 in my eyes.

Of course if we really were getting stages which I highly doubt.

It probably wouldn't change much, I'd still probably see him as among the most likely, just with more competition comes with more chance of not getting in that applies to everyone

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Screw blondes, brunettes AND blue-nettes. We need more silver haired peeps

Namely Elma... [eyes emoji]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Me, looking at all the blonde characters in Smash: "Actually, can I have five more of these little blonde *******?"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean, the cameo is already confirmed. And I doubt they remove the Mii costume.

(At least they better not, especially if he's not playable. I'd still like my "close enough" time. I started playing the Mii gunner alot more often almost exclusively because of the Tails costume)
I’d be both surprised and unsurprised if the Tails Mii costume and cameo+trophy were just randomly taken out and replaced with more Shadow...and some Big the Cat (the character everyone loves)
...and that's what I'm expecting. :urg: Hopefully they pull something out...
That's what we all/most of us hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom