• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The breasts are too small on the Ultimate model, nothing like ST and other M at all. It just looks so weird and not like her at all. :S
Her boobs are still big they're just actually reacting and being squashed by the clothing instead of having perfect form in a skintight suit.

D

Deleted member

While Geno would be cool for the fans that have supported him for so long, I would kinda like Crono instead for the rumored SE rep.

I'm actually kinda surprised how Crono is never brought up in the Smash community, especially after Cloud. For me personally, Crono would be the best possible choice for another Square rep. That game has an amazing legacy, and it along with games like Paper Mario and Kingdom Hearts are the games that made me fall in love with the RPG genre.

Being real though, if there is another SE rep, it's probably Geno. Which would definitely be cool if it happens.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Controversial question apparently - am I the only Metroid fan that likes Samus's Other M inspired look? I really like sleek designs and I always thought the traditional bulky Super Metroid Varia suit was ugly.

Also Brawl ZSS is superior because she didn't have ****ing high heels on. Literally who thought that was a good idea for a bad *** bounty hunter?
But the morph ball and peripheral vision obscuring pauldrons are so practical and realistic.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So to recap, to complete the NES experience we'd need

Bub & Bub from Bubble Bobble
Ryu Hyabusa from Ninja Gaiden
Jimmy & Billy Lee from Double Dragon (or Jimmy & Bimmy)
Arthur from Ghost and Goblins
Jason & Sophia III of Blaster Master
Black Mage of Final Fantasy

NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING

Alex from River City Ransom aka Kunio from Kunio-Kun (licencing on this one is messy)
Slime from Dragon Quest (Checked the sale numbers and they're truly nuts. )
Bill & Lance from Contra (Not sure about the guns but I'm sure that something can be done. Maybe they'll be sprites)

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Samus, I have this nagging feeling that she might have new voice clips this time around (for ZSS).

I don't really know why; I'm probably wrong, though.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Ryu Hiabusa from Ninja Gaiden
Jimmy and Billy Lee from Double Dragon (or Jimmy & Bimmy)
Sophia III of Blaster Master

Alex from River City Ransom aka Kunio from Kunio-Kun (licencing on this one is messy)
Contra? Always heard good (and terrifying) stuff about it.

D

Deleted member

Quick question: Are there any screens of Dark Samus' palette swaps yet? I'm curious what they'll look like; will they change her primary color from black to red, blue, etc, or will it just change the color of her glowey Phazon vein things?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Look, i'm not the master of female anatomy, but I think Ultimate Samus looks a little more like a real Woman and I appreciate that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know that’s how things work in real life, but again, morph ball and purple space dragon.
Gameplay-based suspension of disbelief and alien creatures in a scifi game, respectively. What purpose would making Samus' Zero Suit unrealistic accomplish beyond needless fanservice?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Quick question: Are there any screens of Dark Samus' palette swaps yet? I'm curious what they'll look like; will they change her primary color from black to red, blue, etc, or will it just change the color of her glowey Phazon vein things?
There's atleast one on their page on the site. Their suit is a slight different shade and the phazon is a different color. It's a really nice touch and I'm super excited to see the rest.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's one on her character page, it changes her blue glow to a red one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The website has a shot of a Dark Samus alt. Seems like the bluish phazon color is what's mainly changed.

EDIT: The rare double :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
one is Dark Violet and Purple, I believe.
800px-SSBUWebsiteDarkSamus6.jpg

edit: super :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The website has a shot of a Dark Samus alt. Seems like the bluish phazon color is what's mainly changed.
I do hope some of their other pallets have more drastic changes to the suit as well. Don't want them all to look more or less the same but with different Phazon colors.

Chrono.

Ryu Hiabusa from Ninja Gaiden
Jimmy and Billy Lee from Double Dragon (or Jimmy & Bimmy)

I know it's iconic, but I just cannot get behind the idea of playing as a Slime lol. One of the very few character who I'd be against getting in.

Like I know DQ doesn't have a REALLY iconic protagonist (other than Edrick) but even the most generic Hero is still more appealing to me than the Slime. Give me someone with who can do all the crazy endgame skills and spells and we're gucci.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I've been thinking, with Simon, Mega Man and Pac-Man rocking retro designs (Conan Simon, Pie-eye PAc and one to one of 8-bit MM sprite) what other 3rd party icons of the NES era are we missing?

In my mind

Bub & Bob of Bubble Bobble
Jimmy Lee and Billy Lee aka Jimmy and Bimmy of Double Dragon

Any I'm missing?
Frogger (Personally would like this, but maybe mixed with traits from the classic like colored digits and eyes. I just think classic is a little too much just a frog)
Another Potential retro choices is Spencer from Bionic Commando (Would want the Rearmed 2 Look tho)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Also Brawl ZSS is superior because she didn't have ****ing high heels on. Literally who thought that was a good idea for a bad *** bounty hunter?
Think they were just mostly there as a visible indicator of the more firey attacks that were added to Zero Suit Samus during Smash 4 with the jet heels to explain her ability to dart around without her power suit. Probably wasn't the absolute best way to reflect that and I remember the controversy during Smash 4 about them.

I wasn't ever really bothered by them and now they've been around long enough that they're kind of just part of her Zero Suit in Smash basically.

I mean I'm all for big boobs but do you see how toned she is? The loss of exaggerated boob went into her legs.
Does make the most logical design sense as breasts are basically bags of fat when you get down to it and a woman that muscular is likely to lose volume as a result. They're still probably a little big for some of her physical ability, but most people are willing to suspend disbelief on that factor more then likely lol.

D

Deleted member

LOL, I've looked through her screens a dozen times now and somehow missed that one. Thanks to those who pointed it out! It's pretty much how I figured they'd do it.

Man, I can't get over how good her model looks. This game can't come out soon enough!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Think they were just mostly there as a visible indicator of the more firey attacks that were added to Zero Suit Samus during Smash 4 with the jet heels to explain her ability to dart around without her power suit. Probably wasn't the absolute best way to reflect that and I remember the controversy during Smash 4 about them.

I wasn't ever really bothered by them and now they've been around long enough that they're kind of just part of her Zero Suit in Smash basically.

Does make the most logical design sense as breasts are basically bags of fat when you get down to it and a woman that muscular is likely to lose volume as a result. They're still probably a little big for some of her physical ability, but most people are willing to suspend disbelief on that factor more then likely lol.
They easily could have been jet boots. No heels necessary. Not saying it against you, I know you didn't design her lol.

But yeah made me really upset with Sakurai and anytime I see her I'm just like ugh why?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I guess I can join this Smash timeline thing that people are doing.

Smash 64: I wasn't born yet when it came out and I played it after Melee, so this one doesn't count.

Melee: First Smash Bros. game. Got it when I was very young. Recognized :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu:, since I had really only heard of Mario and Pokemon at that point. It was one of my first Gamcube games, but I owned Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Pokemon Channel beforehand.

Brawl: At this point, I had played a lot more games, but I was still in elementary school when Brawl came out. It was the first game I ever got on launch day. Out of the newcomers, I recognized :ultmetaknight::ultwario::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob:, since I either knew about or played a game they were in (Wario and Diddy Kong in various Mario games, Meta Knight and Dedede in Kirby Air Ride, Sonic in various Sonic games, Pokemon Trainer and Lucario from various Pokemon media, Olimar from Pikmin 2, and R.O.B. from Mario Kart DS).

Smash 4: The first game I actively speculated for (see my join date). Found these boards pretty close to E3 of 2013 while I was desperate for more info. So, I recognized every newcomer when they showed up except :ultwiifittrainer:, who I really didn't care to notice existed even though I owned Wii Fit.

Ultimate: I knew I would be in college by the time a new Smash Bros. game came out, and that is what happened. Still participated in speculation, so I expected to know every newcomer when they showed up. And then :ultrichter: was revealed and I was proven wrong.
I'll play along with the Smash Timeline:

Smash 64: This was my first Smash game I've played. You could say I've recognised most of the characters especially with the Super Mario and Pokemon characters as these were the only Nintendo franchises I was into at the time. I mainly mained Pikachu and Mario.

Melee: I remembered that when I watched the E3 trailer, I was awed by the introduction and its music. A lot of interesting newcomers join the fray. The introduction of Marth and Roy's inclusion is what got me into the Fire Emblem series ever since and Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword was my first game of the series that I purchased.

Brawl: I remembered watching the E3 trailer whilst I was studying at college and I was actually very surprised with Solid Snake's inclusion. I also loved how the Smash website continuously provide updates such as new music, stages and characters until its release in which I bought after completing my first year at university. I mainly used Fire Emblem's Ike at the time as he does have a unique and interesting move set since Roy was absent.

Smash Wii-U/3DS: When the game was announced, I believe this is where I joined the Smashboards forums as I want to discuss anything Smash related. I recognised most of the newcomer characters especially with Little Mac, Palutena and Shulk.

Ultimate: Pretty much recognised most of the characters so far and loved the character trailers especially with how Simon and King K. Rool were introduced.

In conclusion as a long time fan of Smash, the fun that I had since the 64 version still remains within me as I played numerous iterations of the series and I just hope that Sakurai and his team can continue to keep up the good work.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I get the best of both worlds so I'm fine with it.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
The breasts are too small on the Ultimate model, nothing like ST and other M at all. It just looks so weird and not like her at all. :S
I mean, well obviously they look different given she doesn't have boob socks like before. That's how breasts naturally look in form fitting or tight fabric. Like others said, they're still big, just reacting more naturally.
I'm just happy that she's finally toned and shows musculature, that fits with a lot of how people envisioned the character, myself included.
While Geno would be cool for the fans that have supported him for so long, I would kinda like Crono instead for the rumored SE rep.

I'm actually kinda surprised how Crono is never brought up in the Smash community, especially after Cloud. For me personally, Crono would be the best possible choice for another Square rep. That game has an amazing legacy, and it along with games like Paper Mario and Kingdom Hearts are the games that made me fall in love with the RPG genre.

Being real though, if there is another SE rep, it's probably Geno. Which would definitely be cool if it happens.
I'm kinda hoping that we do get Crono just for the legacy and impact of that game alone.
I mean I'd be happy for fans of Geno if he gets in and it shows that fan demand can revive or get any character in. However, I just find it odd to get such an unknown and secondary character from a company that has a slew of iconic and fan favorite characters, not to dismiss Geno obviously, but I do find that interesting. Especially given how SE seems to be restrictive about their IPs.
I do think that Geno is likely, unlike a lot of characters thrown around the rumor mill, but I seriously doubt that he's a lock.

Noipoi

Howdy!
LOL, I've looked through her screens a dozen times now and somehow missed that one. Thanks to those who pointed it out! It's pretty much how I figured they'd do it.

Man, I can't get over how good her model looks. This game can't come out soon enough!
Just 103 days to go! we're almost in the double digits!
I'm actually more hype for Smash than I am for the new Pokemon games. And considering the fact that i'm a gigantic Pokemon fan, that's pretty huge.
Though considering what Pokemon games are coming out this year that's not very surprising...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Samus has never had an unrealistic breast size. It's idealized sure (like almost every protagonist ever) but it's never been ridiculous.

This issue was that the Zero Suit in some games cupped the breasts in an unrealistic way that was really only done to tantalize the viewer.

Most people don't care that Samus is busty. Heck most like it. Most people just don't like the oversexualized nature of the how her breasts were shown.

Now the majority of Metroid games are great with this admittedly.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what that alt is referencing. I would assume Gandrayda, and if true then we should expect alts referencing Rundas and Ghor, which would be light blue and orange respectively.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Frogger (Personally would like this, but maybe mixed with traits from the classic like colored digits and eyes. I just think classic is a little too much just a frog)
Another Potential retro choices is Spencer from Bionic Commando (Would want the Rearmed 2 Look tho)
Can't resist that 'stache huh?

List as it now stands

Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble
Slime from Dragon Quest (Checked the sale numbers and they're truly nuts. Could be DQ 3 protag instead)
Bill & Lance from Contra (Not sure about the guns but I'm sure that something can be done. Maybe they'll be sprites)

Frogger from Frogger (Best roadkill simulator, loses points for frog that can't swim)
Nathan "Rad" Spencer from Bionic Commando (Hopefully not in edgy wife-arm mode)

[Sorry KMDP KMDP , Harvest Moon's a SNES game]

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Have you guys seen that letter with a cute drawing sent to Sakurai by a fan to thank him for putting K.Rool in Ultimate? Really nice and touching. True appreciation.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Maybe. Maybe not. He posted this on twitter some time ago:
And I think there were other posts on Resetera, maybe. I think IntelliHeath1 IntelliHeath1 would probably know more.

Honestly, to me it looks like some innocent speculation.
That's all he said so far I guess, and he mentioned to keep our expectation low for numbers of newcomers (I presume unique?) Regardless, I'm really happy with the roster so far.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Controversial question apparently - am I the only Metroid fan that likes Samus's Other M inspired look? I really like sleek designs and I always thought the traditional bulky Super Metroid Varia suit was ugly.

Breast size is something I've never attributed to Samus and to say a change to that is "not like her" is demeaning and sexist.

If people don't want to talk about that then don't bring up her porportions as a feature of her design.
The other m look was a different take on the design which I didn't mind but I generally prefer the bulkier look, it's far more intimidating and generally fits her personality better imo, the other m one feels flimsy in comparison, the weird disintegrating suit thing didn't help either.

The rocket heels beat the platforms she has in other m and samus returns at least, at least with the heels you can do some real damage, plus they're rocket powered. Having platforms would only hinder her and wouldn't benefit her in any way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Can't resist that 'stache huh?

List as it now stands

Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble
Slime from Dragon Quest (Checked the sale numbers and they're truly nuts. Could be DQ 3 protag instead)

Frogger from Frogger (Best roadkill simulator, loses points for frog that can't swim)
Nathan "Rad" Spencer from Bionic Commando (Hopefully not in edgy wife-arm mode)

[Sorry KMDP KMDP , Harvest Moon's a SNES game]
Now we need to add Otto from Elevator Action. Who wouldn't want to play as a romanticized secret agent with a grappling hook, gun, and the ability to crush your enemies to death with elevators?

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Gameplay-based suspension of disbelief and alien creatures in a scifi game, respectively. What purpose would making Samus' Zero Suit unrealistic accomplish beyond needless fanservice?
I just liked the escapism of the character. I feel like that’s been lost. It’s too much of a major, jarring change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom