• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
While I think Decidueye or Incineroar would both be cool additions, I've got a personal preference for Incineroar because it's one of a few Pokemon who have a natural over-the-top personality across the species. It's not just that he's a grappling wrestler, it's the fact that he's biologically a heel wrestler, which would (hopefully) mean he'd have a very characterized moveset which is something Pokemon don't tend to have (which wouldn't be a problem if we could have Meowth)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I love owls. I love archers. I love Grass Pokémon. I love Ghost Pokémon. Decidueye covers all of those at once.

Don't get me wrong, I like Incineroar too (it's saying something when Incineroar is my least favorite of the Alola starters, but still in the upper half of my favorite starters over all...Alola's are just that good). Decidueye just does more for me.
The only thing that sucks about them picking a Gen 7 rep for smash is that if it happened in 2015, the Pokemon picked likely has more to do with what Gamefreak thought was the most marketable Pokemon they could give, or what Sakurai liked as a design.

Definitely still hoping for Decidueye or Silvally over Incineroar though, but honestly I wont be too discouraged if Incineroar was added instead. It's a New Pokemon and another character added to this massive roster.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I think an ultra beast would be the most fun - no matter which one, they would all play pretty unique. One of them or Tapu Koko. I'm not a big fan of Incineroar's design.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
:ultike:: Why do I get two clones?
:ultmarth:: Join the club.
Robin and Corrin would feel very lonely if that did happen...

Actually, no, they have their husbando/waifu waiting for them, so they be fine.:4diddy:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Uh, can I just mention that Incineroar would be plenty unique. I happened to notice through catching up that a few comments seemed to imply he wouldn't be.

It's not always just what you do in Smash (punch, kick, use a sword) it's how you do it. Either people don't understand what a grappler is in a fighting game, or they think being an archer on its own is more unique than an entire playstyle. This is coming from somebody who loves the idea of Decidueye.

However, Decidueye wouldn't be an archer for every single attack. This is just as Incineroar wouldn't just punch and kick, or necessarily grab for every attack. Given the fact that Incineroar is a wrestler already, the two best comparable characters I can think of are Zangief from Street Fighter or King from Tekken. Each has punch and kick combos, but most of the damage done comes from a variety of grabs.

This type of moveset typically leads to the character being slower, but also having some super armor attached to certain attacks. This seems like something we'd see from Bowser or Donkey Kong. K.Rool seems to have a pretty nasty Up Throw as well, dealing nearly 17% damage in one use!

Imagine Incineroar as a character who, after a combo that sends a character into the air, can do some sort of aerial grab, whether it's instead of an aerial kick or attack. To actually perform the grabs, Incineroar would need to get in close to his opponent. This would mean he'd need to find a way to mitigate projectiles, and get in close. His opponent, likewise, would need to try and keep their distance from Incineroar as getting in close would be...painful.

The thing that would mostly make Incineroar different from other heavy character would be that he'd have more throw setups. Bowser has his normal throws, and then the bodyslam side special. Donkey Kong has his multitude of throws. Ganondorf has his side b as well. The thing is here, that the only one that really serves effectively for combos is DK's throws. For example, a grab, pick up and run with the opponent, jump, up throw, uair. This is one example of a grappler in Smash.

I think it'd be neat if Incineroar had options in executing grabs in different aspects of his moveset. For example, a punch/kick combo side b like Marth that ends with a body slam. A counter that, instead of a strike, is a grab. Perhaps he could have some sort of "stance change" or powerup where he takes less hitstun, which allows him to move in more easily.

Whatever the case, Incineroar has a lot to work with. I think he'd be a fantastic, unique choice.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Honestly none of the expected Gen VII Pokemon excite me, but none of them bother me either. Getting an Ultra Beast would be really cool, and the reactions would probably be amusing, but I'm skeptical of that.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Uh, can I just mention that Incineroar would be plenty unique. I happened to notice through catching up that a few comments seemed to imply he wouldn't be.

It's not always just what you do in Smash (punch, kick, use a sword) it's how you do it. Either people don't understand what a grappler is in a fighting game, or they think being an archer on its own is more unique than an entire playstyle. This is coming from somebody who loves the idea of Decidueye.

However, Decidueye wouldn't be an archer for every single attack. This is just as Incineroar wouldn't just punch and kick, or necessarily grab for every attack. Given the fact that Incineroar is a wrestler already, the two best comparable characters I can think of are Zangief from Street Fighter or King from Tekken. Each has punch and kick combos, but most of the damage done comes from a variety of grabs.

This type of moveset typically leads to the character being slower, but also having some super armor attached to certain attacks. This seems like something we'd see from Bowser or Donkey Kong. K.Rool seems to have a pretty nasty Up Throw as well, dealing nearly 17% damage in one use!

Imagine Incineroar as a character who, after a combo that sends a character into the air, can do some sort of aerial grab, whether it's instead of an aerial kick or attack. To actually perform the grabs, Incineroar would need to get in close to his opponent. This would mean he'd need to find a way to mitigate projectiles, and get in close. His opponent, likewise, would need to try and keep their distance from Incineroar as getting in close would be...painful.

The thing that would mostly make Incineroar different from other heavy character would be that he'd have more throw setups. Bowser has his normal throws, and then the bodyslam side special. Donkey Kong has his multitude of throws. Ganondorf has his side b as well. The thing is here, that the only one that really serves effectively for combos is DK's throws. For example, a grab, pick up and run with the opponent, jump, up throw, uair. This is one example of a grappler in Smash.

I think it'd be neat if Incineroar had options in executing grabs in different aspects of his moveset. For example, a punch/kick combo side b like Marth that ends with a body slam. A counter that, instead of a strike, is a grab. Perhaps he could have some sort of "stance change" or powerup where he takes less hitstun, which allows him to move in more easily.

Whatever the case, Incineroar has a lot to work with. I think he'd be a fantastic, unique choice.

It's more that people want them to cover other types or more unique designs. Decidueye is a grass/ghost type archer. All of the ultra beasts are some odd type combination for the most part. Silvally can be all 18 types with its moveset.

I do agree though, regardless if it's Incineroar or not, the fighter will feel unique. They always do.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Seems like everything is a safe guess when discussing characters around here. :rolleyes:
Tell me about it. My favorite line that never seems to die is ">insert character here< is all but confirmed"...cause reasons, I guess.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Robin and Corrin would feel very lonely if that did happen...

Actually, no, they have their husbando/waifu waiting for them, so they be fine.:4diddy:
Fighting for their Girl/Boy back home.

Speaking of Waifus.

This is the Waifu we all need.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I remember when Wolf was a shoo-in for 4 DLC.

Good times.
To be honest after Ryu was revealed I kind of gradually lost hope and was very doubtful a veteran would be picked from the ballot. Such a shame but at least he gets to be in a better game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now, why everyone want Decidueye over Incineroar?
Decidueye's always been the top pick in America. He's just been pushed back by Verg.
If only Decidueye was ever close to the Top 15 in Japan. OOOOOOOOO BURN

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Waifus.

I mean, if I could have any Fates character in Smash...

...That one could perhaps make me reconsider my stance on FE having too much.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be honest after Ryu was revealed I kind of gradually lost hope and was very doubtful a veteran would be picked from the ballot. Such a shame but at least he gets to be in a better game.
To be fair he probably would've gotten in if ultimate hadn't started development, that 3 year wait ****ing sucked though. doesn't help that he's more unique than roy and lucas were

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Smash 4 DLC Ballot was basically a load of BS anyway, the only kinds of characters that were prioritized were cut veterans, third party characters, and a FE ad.:laugh:

Added with the fact that some people didn’t take their votes seriously by putting in joke requests.

It only took until Ultimate for Sakurai to add in the popular requested first-party newcomers.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be fair he probably would've gotten in if ultimate hadn't started development, that 3 year wait ****ing sucked though. doesn't help that he's more unique than roy and lucas were
Yeah, it's way more unique to copy everyone else than to copy one person.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Weight alteration through 'Bulk Up' would be a unique addition as well.

Also no heavy in the game as a 'beam' which would be a nice spacing tool.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Seems like everything is a safe guess when discussing characters around here. :rolleyes:
The idea only comes from the fact that Sakurai is taking character picks from the Ballot. The ones I mentioned in my other post are almost universally the most popular choices. They ARE the safe picks if we assume that's where the remaining characters are coming from. Obviously nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Speaking of Waifus.

God bless your soul man, this is the real waifu we need.:denzel:

Also, if Incineroar get in, I hope the Smash team take notes from Potemkin from Guilty Gear, or just any crazy grappler in other fighting games, 'cuz grappler character can offer so much more than just "ton of grabs" characters, Alex in Third Strike is a good exemple despite being not the most crazy grappler character there is. Plus, Incineroar can control fire and to a lesser degree darkness and is a giant humanoid tiger with a belt that can shoot fire, how the Smash Team couldn't make something unique out of that?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, if I could have any Fates character in Smash...

...That one could perhaps make me reconsider my stance on FE having too much.
*nods* Hm-hm... yes...
---
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. People were saying that Roy is out-of-character (and he is).

My theory is that Roy's Smash characterisation is a holdover from Fire Emblem 6's development, when it was still called "Fire Emblem: Maiden of the Dark", Roy and Karel (and presumably Idunn) were the only characters who survived the development shift.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
*nods* Hm-hm... yes...
---
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. People were saying that Roy is out-of-character (and he is).

My theory is that Roy's Smash characterisation is a holdover from Fire Emblem 6's development, when it was still called "Fire Emblem: Maiden of the Dark", Roy and Karel (and presumably Idunn) were the only characters who survived the development shift.
Didn't Sakurai said that Roy got a hot-blooded personality in Smash because...he controlled fire and he got red hair or somethin'? And that was all Sakurai got on the character at the time?

I know that sound dumb, but I think that's what he said about why Roy didn't act like in his game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Smash 4 DLC Ballot was basically a load of BS anyway, the only kinds of characters that were prioritized were cut veterans, third party characters, and a FE ad.:laugh:

Added with the fact that some people didn’t take their votes seriously by putting in joke requests.

It only took until Ultimate for Sakurai to add in the popular requested first-party newcomers.
This is likely due to the difference in priority during DLC development where the ability to sell individual characters or items becomes important as well as limit the amount of development time required to create said character. So you either need to have a character that doesn't require as much development that will sell resaonablely well as Roy/Lucas, simpler to design like Corrin, or you make a character that draws a lot attention and is likely to make up for development costs in pure sales such as the case of Ryu/Cloud/Bayonette.

It's not say Inklings, Ridley, or K Rool wouldn't have sold well as DLC, but it may not have been justifiabled due to the more complex development process required.

Enchess

Smash Lord
:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbayonetta: for Mario kart!!!!!
:ultkrool: has been on my Mario Kart wants for awhile.
Mario Kart should really just go Nintendo Kart now. Especially after MK8 DLC. I wouldn't mind them doing the same with Mario Tennis too, especially since Isaac would be a shoe-in for it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
God bless your soul man, this is the real waifu we need.:denzel:
Charlotte is...
  1. Not Blue-haired
  2. Not a Lord or Main Character
  3. Not a Sword-wielder
Truly what Fire Emblem needs in Smash.

I am, of course, being (mostly) facetious. Charlotte is my "in your frickin' dreams" character.
Didn't Sakurai said that Roy got a hot-blooded personality in Smash because...he controlled fire and he got red hair or somethin'? And that was all Sakurai got on the character at the time?

I know that sound dumb, but I think that's what he said about why Roy didn't act like in his game.
I wouldn't doubt it. :laugh:

It's worth noting Fire Emblem 6 was retooled twice.

Who knows what went on in the original drafts of FE6.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultkrool: has been on my Mario Kart wants for awhile.
Mario Kart should really just go Nintendo Kart now. Especially after MK8 DLC. I wouldn't mind them doing the same with Mario Tennis too, especially since Isaac would be a shoe-in for it.
Yes this keeps things spicy and fresh.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, a Best Buy leak? Is it the Special Edition one that’s rumored to have Rayman or is it something else?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Charlotte is...
  1. Not Blue-haired
  2. Not a Lord or Main Character
  3. Not a Sword-wielder
Truly what Fire Emblem needs in Smash.

I am, of course, being (mostly) facetious. Charlotte is my "in your frickin' dreams" character.

I wouldn't doubt it. :laugh:

It's worth noting Fire Emblem 6 was retooled twice.

Who knows what went on in the original drafts of FE6.
Man, don't let your waifu be dreams, it can happen!....if you get a fanbase the size of K.Rool and another ballot was made but hey! Hopes & dreams can bring alot if you believe enough!:4ness:

Pakky

Smash Hero
>not putting :ultfalcon: in mario kart
How dare you.
I was under the assumption that it goes without say that he should be in.

Speaking of which it would be nice if F-Zero turned into an open world action (with racing) game where actually:ultfalcon: is a bounty hunter and beats people up.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Yeah Incineroar isn't even close to my pick for most wanted Pokemon newcomer, but I can't deny that he'd be a relatively unique pick. He's very different than the other Pokemon on the roster and Smash doesn't really have a wrestler type character.
My only real problem with him is that we already have so much starter representation and one of those starters is also a fully evolved fire-type.

I'd just prefer buzzwole

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom