• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would find it dumb for 2 reasons.

1. Golden Sun Isaac is better.
2. Binding of Isaac got in over Shovel Knight.
Actually, number 2 probably poses the greatest problem for any indie playable character as any Indie playable would probably have a huge risk of becoming a salt target.

IronTed

Smash Ace
There was a similar discussion about Nintendo revealing something during the last Nindies Showcase back in March, and nothing was revealed. For Nintendo or any large publisher to reveal anything of note would defeat the entire point of the showcase, which is meant for smaller tier devs and games

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hold the phone. Grand Metropolis Zone would make a nice looking stage. Futuristic, nice use of colours. Flying cars as hazards? That would probably be obnoxious.

Look at how pretty it is in the intro of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

For those who don't know: "Wait, this isn't [place], this is GRAND METROPOLIS!" is a joke from RadicalSoda, specifically his Sonic Generations Mods video.

DOO-DOO DOO DOO-DOO DOO
No, he is Juju, obviously.:ultshulk:

Still, I have two questions:

-Are the peoples asking for BK would be really happy with Zelgius? Sure, they are the same person, but one of the reasons peoples want BK is because he wear a fullset of armor that make him look imposing, vilainous and make him look distinct compared to other FE characters, plus, when peoples think of "popular FE vilain" they think Zelgius as the Black Knight, or just the Black Knight. Also, since you can't even see his head, peoples not familiar with FE won't know he is actually another blue-haired swordman who so happen to be another echo of yet another FE character. Putting Zelgius and not his more popular alias feel like shooting yourself in the foot in the long run.

-Why the "leaker" needed to mention Zelgius if he was refering to BK as the echo? To be clear so that peoples don't get confused by other Black Knight characters? If that's that, I think everyone would have get that he was refering to FE Black Knight if he was mentionning Ike as the basis (since both Ike & Zelgiues/BK had the same master). So he is really saying that Zelgius, not helmet, red armor, would be Ike echo fighter?

I don't know, the more you look at it, the less sense it make.
You could have Zelgius and the Black Knight in the same character, just like POR Ike and RD Ike being the same.
The Inklings had it easy compared to most of the characters who showed up in the cgi trailers...Mario/Mega Man/Luigi/ are dead, Samus got retraumatized after having peace in Smash for so long, Donkey and Diddy got glass in their eyes and couldn’t expand correctly, and DeDeDe got ***** slapped so damn hard he might as well be dead
Bowser - Backslashed by Shulk and launched, like, miles away.
Inkling - Has the Smash Logo burned into her retinas
Mega Man - Impaled by Ridley
Mario - Had his ribs crushed by Ridley
Samus - Suit destroyed fighting Ridley, might still be alive
Luigi - Had his soul ripped out by Death
Dedede - Broken neck via ***** slap from K. Rool
DK - Glass in his eyes
Diddy - Glass in his eyes

Who's next on the chopping block?

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
For those who don't know: "Wait, this isn't [place], this is GRAND METROPOLIS!" is a joke from RadicalSoda, specifically his Sonic Generations Mods video.

DOO-DOO DOO DOO-DOO DOO

You could have Zelgius and the Black Knight in the same character, just like POR Ike and RD Ike being the same.

DK - Glass in his eyes

Little Mac, gets owned by Ken Masters or Incineroar

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I have the feeling that if Rosalina's trailer had been made for Ultimate instead of 4 some driver would have lost control of their kart and plummeted to their death in Rainbow Road. Sakurai's feeling edgy nowadays.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

DOO-DOO DOO DOO-DOO DOO

Inking - Has the Smash Logo burned into her retinas
DK - Glass in his eyes

I guess that could be a thing...but wouldn't that take too much effort for "just" a echo fighter?

I don't say there is a rule that echo fighter can't have costumes, but as of now, I am not sure if the Smash team would put that much effort for a single echo fighter, another FE one at that. (plus if this was the case, why the "leaker" didn't mention something along those lines?)

MainJPW

M.T.A

DOO-DOO DOO DOO-DOO DOO
I'm subscribed, Grand Metropolis is just damn pretty and I never considered it to be a stage. If it looks like how it does in that Mario and Sonic intro I'd take it. Pump that **** full of city-level music too.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I guess that could be a thing...but wouldn't that take too much effort for "just" a echo fighter?

I don't say there is a rule that echo fighter can't have costumes, but as of now, I am not sure if the Smash team would put that much effort for a single echo fighter, another FE one at that. (plus if this was the case, why the "leaker" didn't mention something along those lines?)
There's a simple solution to that.

Make Zelgius, then make a helmet to go over his head.
I'm subscribed, Grand Metropolis is just damn pretty and I never considered it to be a stage. If it looks like how it does in that Mario and Sonic intro I'd take it. Pump that **** full of city-level music too.
I figured, but it was more for other people's benefit. Not everyone can get every in-joke.

*continues singing Grand Metropolis off-key over footage of Sky Sanctuary Zone*

blackghost

Smash Champion
i wanted to discuss a few of the things i noticed in the gaemplay from the nintendo uk gameplay.
1. bowser and a few other heavies may have armored smash attacks
2. the cloud limit change is incredibke matches with him will be a lot more aggression and a lot less waiting.
3. shiek... dear god shiek. what i think gets glazed over right now, is how signifigant it is sheik received a 1v1 damage boost. everything else form 4 is still there.
4. go play smash 4 right now and enjoy recovering because outside of shiek and a few others you will struggle to comeback onstage
5. villager got his balloons popped 1v1 twice in a game thats not released yet. he is in for a bad time in the future.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077

DOO-DOO DOO DOO-DOO DOO

DK - Glass in his eyes

Don't forget that Samus also got her lights knocked out from Little Mac's K.O. Punch.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
i wanted to discuss a few of the things i noticed in the gaemplay from the nintendo uk gameplay.
1. bowser and a few other heavies may have armored smash attacks
2. the cloud limit change is incredibke matches with him will be a lot more aggression and a lot less waiting.
3. shiek... dear god shiek. what i think gets glazed over right now, is how signifigant it is sheik received a 1v1 damage boost. everything else form 4 is still there.
4. go play smash 4 right now and enjoy recovering because outside of shiek and a few others you will struggle to comeback onstage
5. villager got his balloons popped 1v1 twice in a game thats not released yet. he is in for a bad time in the future.
That's cool that recoveries are nerfed. It's an indirect buff to Jigglypuff. :p

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
There's a simple solution to that.

Make Zelgius, then make a helmet to go over his head.

I figured, but it was more for other people's benefit. Not everyone can get every in-joke.

*continues singing Grand Metropolis off-key over footage of Sky Sanctuary Zone*
Then it be like the helmetless alt me and Shishoe talked before?

In that case, I could see that, but then again, BK have always been show as the BK only when it come to Smash. His real idendity have never been spoiled in his trophies in Brawl & 4 and his Mii Costume, despite his game being like 10~ years old and Sakurai being infamously know to spoil big twist like it was nothing.

Also, every time the BK have been shown in Smash, it was his Path of Radiance appareance that was used, not his more damaged RD design, which is the one associate with Zelgius the most (FE Heroes use the RD design for Zelgius armor, while BK with helmet on in Heroes use his POR design).

I'm not sure really, various pattern have been know to be broken every time we see more, and the pattern I been talking about BK design in Smash could be easily broken without much problem or backlash, but whatever BK get a damaged helmetless alt or not, I think we can agree it wouldn't give the "leak" more points.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is just hilarious.

Mega Man was more highly requested than either of them.
Yeah, but Palutena and Little Mac were highly expected Nintendo characters (Palutena due to Uprising and Little Mac as a retro/ type of character
DK - Glass in his eyes

C083CB5B-FC38-4ADF-8978-3D6FC5296259.jpeg
Also, Mario had his neck snapped, skull crushed, and brain smushed

Pakky

Smash Hero

:ultshulk: is just about naked so.... ya'know.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't forget that Samus also got her lights knocked out from Little Mac's K.O. Punch.
Well, Samus recovered from that.

Pit also got flung away by Palutena, which may or may not have over-charged his Power of Flight.
Then it be like the helmetless alt me and Shishoe talked before?
Yeah, pretty much.
In that case, I could see that, but then again, BK have always been show as the BK only when it come to Smash. His real idendity have never been spoiled in his trophies in Brawl & 4 and his Mii Costume, despite his game being like 10~ years old and Sakurai being infamously know to spoil big twist like it was nothing.

Also, every time the BK have been shown in Smash, it was his Path of Radiance appareance that was used, not his more damaged RD design, which is the one associate with Zelgius the most (FE Heroes use the RD design for Zelgius armor, while BK with helmet on in Heroes use his POR design).

I'm not sure really, various pattern have been know to be broken every time we see more, and the pattern I been talking about BK design in Smash could be easily broken without much problem or backlash, but whatever BK get a damaged helmetless alt or not, I think we can agree it wouldn't give the "leak" more points.
I don't get why Black Knight specifically has to be the damaged one to be associated with Zelgius. Black Knight is Zelgius no matter how you slice it, even with fully in-tact armour.

Make "Black Knight" to PoR costume and "Zelgius" the RD costume.

Not that I believe the leak. :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, but Palutena and Little Mac were highly expected Nintendo characters (Palutena due to Uprising and Little Mac as a retro/ type of character

Also, Mario had his neck snapped, skull crushed, and brain smushed
Ok wait wait wait

how the HELL did Mario survive all of that?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Just wanna throw my 2 cents here:

Many people would consider these to be the most iconic franchises Nintendo has.

- Mario
- Pokemon
- Zelda
- DK
- Kirby
-Metroid

The first 2 get newcomers with nearly every game. A Gen 7 Pokemon is likely locked at this point and Mario may have a newcomer we haven't seen yet (It could actually be Geno since SMRPG is not a franchise, Vergeben has potentially leaked another Square rep, and Geno has received special recognition for his Mii costume).

The remaining 4 have not gotten a newcomer since Brawl. Now with Ultimate, DK and Metroid finally received more newcomers. This leaves Kirby and Zelda.

Most people at this point expect Skull Kid and Bandana Dee. Skull Kid has several merits going for him so far (which have nothing to do with popularity or chairs lol) which is why people think he's in, on top of being the next most iconic character from Zelda.

Bandana Dee on the other hand is Japan's next most popular character after K. Rool, so if Kirby were to get another character, it'd be him most likely.

Now that leaves other new Nintendo franchises and third parties not yet used.

Of those first party Nintendo franchises, Golden Sun and Chibi Robo probably were some of the most popular. If we are going by the absolute most popular, then Isaac likely is the top leading new franchise rep.

Of remaining 3rd party franchises, it seems to be Banjo, Sora, and Rayman. However, due to Disney being a pain to work with on all fronts, I doubt Sora makes it (at least prior to DLC). This leaves Banjo and Rayman, and additionally Bamco franchises like Tales of and Tekken. Both are popular 3rd Japanese franchises, and may have priority over 3rd party western ones. Additionally, Bamco is making Smash, and already had Hiehachi and Lloyd Mii costumes in 4, like Geno. This means like Sakurai's bias for Geno (not a negative thing), Bamco may want one of these reps in the game due to being the publisher for the game.

All in all, I think we have as safe guesses (discounting surprises or echoes).

The 2 franchises that always get reps
- 7th Gen Pokemon/Incineroar
- Mario rep/Geno (May be the SE Rep as a result)

The 2 franchises likely to get reps:
-Zelda: Skull kid
-Kirby: Bandana Dee

The remaining popular 1st party Nintendo franchises not represented:
- Golden Sun: Isaac
- Chibi Robo

Remaining 3rd party franchises
Japanese (Due to Bamco bias and Mii costumes):

- Tekken: Heihachi (was considered previously)
- Tales of: Lloyd

Western (Due to popularity WW for Smash):
Banjo Kazooie: Banjo and Kazooie
Rayman: Rayman

I personally think, that the majority of our remaining unique newcomers will be from these 10 characters on this list. Yes there can and will likely be surprises (Elma, Excitebiker, Travis Touchdown, whoever else may have cleared polls or had assist trophies previously), but I think these are the safest guesses we can make right now.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's cool that recoveries are nerfed. It's an indirect buff to Jigglypuff. :p
Directional airdodge is also an indirect buff to her, it makes it possible for her to actually edgeguard now as airdodging is riskier for the opponent, while also allowing her to make up that last bit of distance to make it back to the stage herself. If she gets a fair amount of buffs to her actual moves too she should at least not be completely awful this time.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Funny thing is the swimsuit covers more of her torso then her default attire. I guess if it was going to be an issue of what is worse, show more bare arm/legs or showing more of bare upper body.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Funny thing is the swimsuit covers more of her torso then her default attire. I guess if it was going to be an issue of what is worse, show more bare arm/legs or showing more of bare upper body.
Really don't care about what is and isn't an issue I just want costumes.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well, Samus recovered from that.

Pit also got flung away by Palutena, which may or may not have over-charged his Power of Flight.

Yeah, pretty much.

I don't get why Black Knight specifically has to be the damaged one to be associated with Zelgius. Black Knight is Zelgius no matter how you slice it, even with fully in-tact armour.

Make "Black Knight" to PoR costume and "Zelgius" the RD costume.

Not that I believe the leak. :p
I don't know man, I'm just trying to find pattern where there is probably none so that this leak can go into the trash for sure. :p

Tbh, I be fine with whatever design they decide to use for the helmetless alt, I just don't know if they do the effort for a echo since as of now, echo fight haven't been shown to have costume alt.

Not wanting to be a party pooper but I don't think this design would got in at all, since it was a very late DLC costume. Plus, imo, I prefer to see this.

Since this costume fix most of Pyra's design problem and was in the base game, so the Smash team would probably choose this one if they decided to put a costume for Pyra, again, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Since this costume fix most of Pyra's design problem and was in the base game, so the Smash team would probably choose this one if they decided to put a costume for Pyra, again, in my humble opinion.
Sigh, Ya'know this was a mistake. I like the costume as well but, to think that the default costume would be discarded for an optional costume is just...

See, this was my fault I shouldn't have brought her up. Or perhaps I'm overacting.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't know man, I'm just trying to find pattern where there is probably none so that this leak can go into the trash for sure. :p

Tbh, I be fine with whatever design they decide to use for the helmetless alt, I just don't know if they do the effort for a echo since as of now, echo fight haven't been shown to have costume alt.

Not wanting to be a party pooper but I don't think this design would got in at all, since it was a very late DLC costume. Plus, imo, I prefer to see this.

I was questioning myself if making two character models would be a justifiable amount of effort; or a similar level of effort to what they did for Richter and Dark Samus...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now, why everyone want Decidueye over Incineroar?
I love owls. I love archers. I love Grass Pokémon. I love Ghost Pokémon. Decidueye covers all of those at once.

Don't get me wrong, I like Incineroar too (it's saying something when Incineroar is my least favorite of the Alola starters, but still in the upper half of my favorite starters over all...Alola's are just that good). Decidueye just does more for me.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Really don't care about what is and isn't an issue I just want costumes.
It is kind of interesting question because it does come up in regards in Pyra quite often but it is a curious one. Shulk did appear, as you stated, with very minimal clothing and from what I can tell not very much was changed from how it looked in the original game yet if a similar feature is on one of the female characters it usually has to be tone down in some form to maintain a rating. Even Samus' Zero Suit alt costumes had to be tone down from the original game's presentation

Makes me curious if the different between Male and Female in regards to a game's rating. Or if it's more funny because Shulk's bare appearance is more of a meta-joke from the original game or if female characters are just viewed differently or if it concerned over international requirements for certain regions.

Probably questions that will never be answered but it is kind of a odd thing.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sigh, Ya'know this was a mistake. I like the costume as well but, to think that the default costume would be discarded for an optional costume is just...

See, this was my fault I shouldn't have brought her up.
'just saying, I myself don't mind Pyra default design that much, but I think it be better for those who don't like her default design to have a option to give her something that is less "revelating", so that everyone could win in a way.

But I ain't going to follow on this since I actually don't like talking about Pyra design here, I just wanted to give my 2 cents on what costume they would choose for Pyra, so , sorry for bringing up something you don't like.
I was questioning myself if making two character models would be a justifiable amount of effort; or a similar level of effort to what they did for Richter and Dark Samus...
Wait...

What if they decided to make RD Zelgius a echo of POR BK who is a echo of Ike to please everyone?!

:eek:ECHO-CEPTIOOOOOOOOON!!!!:eek:

Pakky

Smash Hero
'just saying, I myself don't mind Pyra default design that much, but I think it be better for those who don't like her default design to have a option to give her something that is less "revelating", so that everyone could win in a way.

But I ain't going to follow on this since I actually don't like talking about Pyra design here, I just wanted to give my 2 cents on what costume they would choose for Pyra, so , sorry for bringing up something you don't like.
I did overreact I apologize.

"Research" has nothing to do with me wanting a character, thank you.
That's true you're right.

But people really don't research, that's why we have bad fake leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom