• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
THANK YOU. People always just boot Paper Mario out and then go on to list the unlikeliest third parties, and act like Paper Mario didn't consistently score in the top 5 of Ballot fan polls.
Yeah, I've argued for awhile that Paper Mario doesn't get the credit he deserves. Unfortunately he has to compete against Geno, who I think is more likely at this point, and I doubt we'll get both at this point.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Speculation's always gonna go in circles, but I'd prefer if those circles didn't stop at chairs.
Something about that phrasing made me laugh. You have a point. I really enjoy speculating on the little probably-not-hints-but-maybe because speculation is a pass-time for me, not something I'm hugely invested in right now. I don't care about Skull Kid, so the chairs are a fun game in my mind. I choose to believe in them, but really won't care if I'm wrong.

Personally I'd rather analyze why Luigi used camera flashes and a plunger, but only GameFaq seems to care about those things (and even then just the plunger)

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
At this point, every time a furniture is almost the color of the character of their choosing is considered likely. The lamp that looks black & white with musical notes....CHORUS KIDS Confirmed! Oh the dryness is here until the holidays.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
people always see him as a rival to geno. i could see both happening and i dont think one deconfirms the other. although im obviously hopeful for geno the most and not really guessing at paper mario, hes definitely popular and interesting enough to get in smash.
To be quite honest, I find Paper Mario more likely than Geno. First party, much more moveset potential, incredibly high attendance for an unrepresented first party.
But that's grading the two of them in a way you shouldn't.

Geno is likely because he's a fan favorite, a nostalgic one, who Sakurai has taken a liking to.
However, Paper Mario can also be seen as likely due to different factors.

Everyone who says that it has to be one or the other doesn't really get the situation, imo.

Yeah, I've argued for awhile that Paper Mario doesn't get the credit he deserves. Unfortunately he has to compete against Geno, who I think is more likely at this point.
Read my above post.
I honestly think both could make it. I don't expect Paper Mario at this point, I'm just hyping myself up, but he's always been pretty slept on.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Except nobody said he was confirmed due to chairs. Just that chairs may be a hint. Let's not berate the dumb people who don't exist, my friend.
This. Skull kid has a lot more going on than just the chairs. Hell, to talk about the chairs alone and not the rest of the room sakurai is in is already ********. To say skull kid is in just because of the chair or the room entirely, is as well ********. There are a few more things going on for skull kid, more serious and considerable things than the stupid chairs.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
At this point, every time a furniture is almost the color of the character of their choosing is considered likely. The lamp that looks black & white with musical notes....CHORUS KIDS Confirmed! Oh the dryness is here until the holidays.
Was there anything blue in Sakurai's office in the latest Direct?

.....just wondering

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Chorus Kids confirmed everybody! Because we’re all idiots! I should never have looked for hints. Me sorry. Don’t good think. Make cereal milk first.

?????????????

Smash Master
Just watch. You guys are allllllll gonna make fun of the furniture speculation, and then, the next character revealed will be Skull Kid.

Just like soooooo many people said the red eye thing meant nothing, and yet, we got K. Rool...just like the "conspiracy theorists" said.

KMDP

Smash Legend
One more thing about Sonic the Comic (I am aware the discussion has moved on).

They actually managed to make AoStH Robotnik look like a halfway serious design... somehow.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Welp, you heard it here folks.
Skull Kid is totally, officially, 100% confirmed.
Through CHAIRS.
This people on this forum are a gift...
Not one person is saying he's confirmed through just the chairs however.

And anyone who makes it sound that way isn't any better than anyone who speculates that the chairs are part of the whole Skull Kid picture that may or may not be in front of us.

I also can make the text really small for dramatic effect.....

Noipoi

Howdy!
Okay guys, that room Sakurai was sitting in? It had a floor.
Ya know what has floors? houses.
House starts with the letter H.
H is a letter of Alphabet.
Ya know what letter comes before H? G.
Ya know who's name starts with G? Goku.
GOKU CONFIRMED

D

Deleted member

Just watch. You guys are allllllll gonna make fun of the furniture speculation, and then, the next character revealed will be Skull Kid.

Just like soooooo many people said the red eye thing meant nothing, and yet, we got K. Rool...just like the "conspiracy theorists" said.
By that time, Sakurai will know people have caught on to the furniture, so his background will have furniture hinting toward a popular character who will later be disconfirmed, and the real hint will be something else.

Just go full Ed Boon.

MainJPW

M.T.A
One more thing about Sonic the Comic (I am aware the discussion has moved on).

They actually managed to make AoStH Robotnik look like a halfway serious design... somehow.
Eggman’s western designs always look, ummm... robotic.

It’s like he’s supposed to be a cyborg.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
:troll:

Seriously though, barely anyone talks about him. I haven’t seen people mention him in a long time.
So here's my own little thought on that.
Back in 2015, Sticker Star was seen as a one-off mistake. Paper Mario was still very beloved, and most thought he'd return to his former glory soon enough. He was seen as a contender for base SSB4, so when he wasn't included at all, he became a Ballot frontrunner.

In late 2018, though, Paper Mario has lost the spark it once had to most peoples eyes. Sticker Star has become the new series format, and Paper Jam barely included any paper elements, leading to much less excitement over this once beloved figure.
Does this matter?
Well...seeing as the roster was finalized in 2015, I'm not stressing too much over his current view.

I just truly hope the love he got back then will be enough to save him in Smash.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I didn't buy the red eye thing but that actually came from Sakurai himself. So I'm more inclined to believe something he said over furniture in a room.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, i'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
if you wanna speculate about chairs then go for it!
But this whole thing is really silly to me and I will not refrain from making jokes about it :laugh:.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
GOKU CONFIRMED
I ****ing knew it.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aside from floor ice cream and leaky Vergeburger and fries, I have a question for everyone:

Discounting Inkling and Simon, what if every newcomer got a new stage to be represented by? This includes: :ultridley::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultkrool:

For me:

:ultridley: SR388
:ultdaisy: Sarasaland
:ultrichter: Dinner of Flames
:ultdarksamus: Phaaze
:ultchrom: Dragon’s Table
:ultkrool: Gangplank Galleon (duh)

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Oh wait yeah they gave Palutena a single set of specials, and her entire thing was the Custom Specials. That kind of does automatically confirm they're gone huh

KMDP

Smash Legend
Eggman’s western designs always look, ummm... robotic.

It’s like he’s supposed to be a cyborg.
I think that might have been the idea.

Like they... misinterpreted his glasses as his actual eyes. :laugh:
Neat! I kinda like AoStH Robotnik just because Long John Baldry is clearly having the time of his life doing that ridiculous voice.
Long John Baldry is the best Robotnik, and I won't hear any arguments to the contrary.

Mike Pollock is a close second.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To be quite honest, I find Paper Mario more likely than Geno. First party, much more moveset potential, incredibly high attendance for an unrepresented first party.
But that's grading the two of them in a way you shouldn't.

Geno is likely because he's a fan favorite, a nostalgic one, who Sakurai has taken a liking to.
However, Paper Mario can also be seen as likely due to different factors.

Everyone who says that it has to be one or the other doesn't really get the situation, imo.

Read my above post.
I honestly think both could make it. I don't expect Paper Mario at this point, I'm just hyping myself up, but he's always been pretty slept on.
I don't think it's impossible, but there are a multitude of reasons why I don't think we'll get both, (reasons I'm too lazy to type out) but I do think we will see one or the other. It's about time we got a character to represent the Mario RPGs.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So here's my own little thought on that.
Back in 2015, Sticker Star was seen as a one-off mistake. Paper Mario was still very beloved, and most thought he'd return to his former glory soon enough. He was seen as a contender for base SSB4, so when he wasn't included at all, he became a Ballot frontrunner.

In late 2018, though, Paper Mario has lost the spark it once had to most peoples eyes. Sticker Star has become the new series format, and Paper Jam barely included any paper elements, leading to much less excitement over this once beloved figure.
Does this matter?
Well...seeing as the roster was finalized in 2015, I'm not stressing too much over his current view.

I just truly hope the love he got back then will be enough to save him in Smash.
Hmmmm...

Well he was a popular candidate. Though I don’t think it was to the extent to some others, in any case we just have to wait and see. It’s really whether Sakurai thinks they can be unique to get in. As much as people say that King K. Rool got in as a winner, after looking at his moveset King K. Rool deviates from other heavy weights by being the first trap set up heavyweight, so it’s clear that Sakurai saw unique moveset potential in him.

D

Deleted member

GOKU CONFIRMED
*Sighs dramatically*
I sure as hell hope that custom items are dead, they ruined Smah 4's single player
No they did not.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Aside from floor ice cream and leaky Vergeburger and fries, I have a question for everyone:

Discounting Inkling and Simon, what if every newcomer got a new stage to be represented by? This includes: :ultridley::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultkrool:

For me:

Honestly, the only characters here I know anything about are Daisy, Chrom and K Rool (barely) so i'm gonna have to agree with you :laugh:.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I got bored. Made the Smash Bros Fighters Display by Series page work locally on my PC. Not perfect. Looks like the arrow icons for newly added rows do not work, but it is usable. I even added in Goemon to it.

Who else should we add?

fakeWebsiteUpdate.PNG

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I remember growing up with Paper Mario through A Thousand Year Door...ahh childhood memories as a 6-7 year old. I wasn't good at it but to me it was something unique and fun. So I'll be very clear here. It's either Classic Paper Mario or nothing. :/ Not a fan of the direction with Sticker Star & Color Splash though I could see Sakurai going with it, but I'm sure he'll give Paper Mario some justice by using his classic move sets from Paper Mario 64 through Super Paper Mario.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

For me:

:ultdaisy: Daisy Cruise because Nintendo pretends Sarasaland doesn't exist
:ultridley: Ridley's Lair
:ultdarksamus: Aether
:ultchrom: Eh, I don't know...
:ultkrool: Gangplank Galleon

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hmmmm...

Well he was a popular candidate. Though I don’t think it was to the extent to some others, in any case we just have to wait and see. It’s really whether Sakurai thinks they can be unique to get in. As much as people say that King K. Rool got in as a winner, after looking at his moveset King K. Rool deviates from other heavy weights by being the first trap set up heavyweight, so it’s clear that Sakurai saw unique moveset potential in him.
I think he's at least a front-runner. I'd say above picks like Shantae (no shade, my Shantae loving friends) that I see a lot, or even Skull Kid Ballot-wise.
But you never know. I'm just wishful thinking.

I remember growing up with Paper Mario through A Thousand Year Door...ahh childhood memories as a 6-7 year old. I wasn't good at it but to me it was something unique and fun. So I'll be very clear here. It's either Classic Paper Mario or nothing. :/ Not a fan of the direction with Sticker Star & Color Splash though I could see Sakurai going with it, but I'm sure he'll give Paper Mario some justice by using his classic move sets from Paper Mario 64 through Super Paper Mario.
TTYD is my favorite game of all time, 64 is in my top 10, SPM is up there as well. I feel you buddy.
I'll take whatever I can get myself, though.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion

Yeah, this is why I'm not counting furniture out. The red eyes, the E3 furniture, it was all leading up to the obvious reveals in the Direct. Sakurai is putting thought into the marketing and pre-release cycle. It's just a "Sakurai" thing to do tbh.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Not one person is saying he's confirmed through just the chairs however.

And anyone who makes it sound that way isn't any better than anyone who speculates that the chairs are part of the whole Skull Kid picture that may or may not be in front of us.

I also can make the text really small for dramatic effect.....
I'm gonna reeeeal quickly change sides for just a sec to say I have seen people say the chairs are confirmation.
and ok, I'm back to chairs-side and also love using small text for effect.
GOKU CONFIRMED
That's a strawman worthy of accompanying Dorothy to meet the wizard, but ok bud, whatever.
I didn't buy the red eye thing but that actually came from Sakurai himself. So I'm more inclined to believe something he said over furniture in a room.
Devil's advocate then I'm done on this for today, I promise: Sakurai could've just done the direct in a room with less distracting furniture.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

It's just gonna keep happening man, there's no cure to denial sadly, lol.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
GOKU CONFIRMED
Yellow chair - Super Saiyan
Purple chair - Frieza

Coincidence?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I think that might have been the idea.

Like they... misinterpreted his glasses as his actual eyes. :laugh:

Long John Baldry is the best Robotnik, and I won't hear any arguments to the contrary.

Mike Pollock is a close second.
I'm partial to Jim Cummings for a truly menacing take, but Pollock is great at walking the line between scary and silly.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
No they did not.
yeah they totally did. they ruined any progression by making everything too hard with the base characters unless you're incredibly skilled. the rewards on teh challenge board consisted mostly of equipment, which aren't fun to collect in any way

they took up a massive amount of dev time that probably should have gone into making modes that were worthwhile and fun, but instead they became the entire basis of Smash Tour and Smash Run. they only worked in Smash Run because of how its structured, custom items in Smash Tour make the mode unplayable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom