• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You really want Poochy? I know being the world's #1 Yoshi fan is like your gimmick, but I played Yoshi's Island enough to remember that the level name "Poochy Ain't Stupid" was the biggest lie on the SNES.
My love for Yoshi isn't a gimmick fyi. Besides, I was answering a question for an AT, not as a playable character. Plus, Poochy got development in Yoshi's Story and Woolly World

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like how Pokemon Trainer is above Goku.
Clearly the people have good taste.
Also, Sceptile isn't even top 70. If we get a new Pokemon, it's not gonna be from the ballot. Unless Sakurai acknowledges the trolls and puts Magnemite in.
Jokes on you, that's one of my favorite Pokemon. :081:

Why does Sakurai saying he’s choosing characters from the ballot so controversial? We all knew it. Y’all will complain about everything. Half of you complain that Sakurai isn’t adding fan favorites last time, so he does what you ask him. And then the other half complains that no relevant characters are getting in. Not to mention everyone is especially defensive of x character because there are limited slots due to Sakurai saying not to expect to many characters. So instead of a new reveal being just positive, it’s also a little bad because now x character has less of a chance. At some point it makes super smash bros uninteresting and depressing because everything is tainted by a hundred complaints. I love speculating but I have to skip some conversations because it can make it where I’m not even excited for the game anymore. You may not agree which is fine, but that’s just my experience.
Who are you talking to?
None of us said that.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why does Sakurai saying he’s choosing characters from the ballot so controversial? We all knew it. Y’all will complain about everything. Half of you complain that Sakurai isn’t adding fan favorites last time, so he does what you ask him. And then the other half complains that no relevant characters are getting in. Not to mention everyone is especially defensive of x character because there are limited slots due to Sakurai saying not to expect to many characters. So instead of a new reveal being just positive, it’s also a little bad because now x character has less of a chance. At some point it makes super smash bros uninteresting and depressing because everything is tainted by a hundred complaints. I love speculating but I have to skip some conversations because it can make it where I’m not even excited for the game anymore. You may not agree which is fine, but that’s just my experience.
I've mostly seen positive feedback to Sakurai saying he's drawing from the Ballot. I know I'm personally excited about it. Smash fanbase isn't the best, though, you got great points.

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
Hi SSB4Dojo! We talked a while ago on reddit, but hi again.

It's the best resource we have, imo, and Simon's standing on it is very interesting.
It may be that him being confirmed first instead of say, Rayman, means nothing, or Rayman didn't "really" place that high on the Ballot.
Or, Vergeben just heard wrong this time. Or Sakurai just felt Simon's popularity was one of many factors getting him in.
Hey Luigi
Simon has always been a background character that has been in discussion but as someone said earlier, Snake was always going to be more wanted than Simon when it came to getting a Konami character in as people loved him in Smash. This should give a general concept of where things are headed. Obviously this doesn't guarantee a character in or out but everyone that has been in has been relatively high. We will see where things go.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I mean Shadow might or might not be an echo, but echoes aren't really new characters so it's not super consequential either way. If Smash operated on the basis of quotas we'd have less than half as many Fire Emblem characters; that's not how anything has ever worked. I could easily imagine Shadow as a Sonic echo, but at the same time, I think it's 100% independent of whatever chances Tails has to make it as a real newcomer.
Again, I said it's entirely possible for more than 1 new Sonic character. I just don't personally see it happening, and I think Shadow as an echo is the best chance Sonic will get at having a new representative. I've stated several times it's not impossible to get more than 1 or that Tails isn't impossible. People seem to skim over that and just focus on me saying what I THINK is the most logical thing.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Jokes on you, that's one of my favorite Pokemon. :081:

Who are you talking to?
None of us said that.
Eh that’s only a fraction of what I’m talking about. Plus there’s a lot more disdain for ballot choices making it in outside Smashboards. It’s fairly tame here

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I made a support thread for K.K. Slider, alongside an in-depth analysis for the character's chances:

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...rossing-k-k-slider-for-smash-ultimate.457627/

It is a bit of a mess in explanation, but I tied up my points pretty well. I just wanted to willingly discuss this possibility so badly to get it out of my chest.

On the topic of Belmont and the Ballot, back when Vergeben initially leaked Simon over three months ago he claimed he heard Simon got in from him doing well on the Ballot. Here is where he said it.

So if his Smash sources are legit, that means Belmont was a Ballot pick and not a "Sakurai pickTM".
He also said on Gamefaqs that the Netflix series was also a reason Simon was included. This quote on his reddit post is interesting though, I have not seen this discussed thoroughly:

"Apparently Nintendo is in discussion and negotiations with Capcom over guests"

Maybe this was discussed for the base game. Or maybe this was discussed for Ultimate DLC (This year would probably be the time to consider DLC characters.).

Given the RE:2 remake planned announcement and Monster Hunter World's success, maybe Leon and a Monster Hunter are being considered for DLC. That would clash against my bet of Leon being in the base game though. :p

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Someone else mentioned this but I think Simon was helped by Castlvania being a popular request in general. I'm betting Sakurai sorted the official results by series and realized Castlevania, or maybe Konami picks in general were popular.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
>Goku higher than Crash.
>Goku and Batman being in the poll at all.

I hate/love this timeline.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I'm not sure you read my post, not to be rude...I don't disagree with any of this. But that's not what my post was about.
Well, not everyone of them would be a ballot scenario, for sure. It’s not reading too much, it’s just keeping it in mind. Nothing more. No one should simply expect them. It’s not much different from the leaks we’ve been mulling over since Smash was announced.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
As much as I love Goku I don't want him anywhere near Smash. That's a can of worms I don't want opened.

But more than anything, I don't want the annoying people who constantly argued about Goku and were super annoying about it to win.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Doesn't Sakurai also like Castlevania? I'm sure that helped Simon's chances considerably in hindsight.

Since the topic of unlocking characters was brought up earlier today, I hope unlocking characters will be smooth and streamlined. I wanna unlock and play Inklings and K. Rool ASAP, lol.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m definitely not asking for the millionth Goku discussion but it’s not even the fact that Goku himself is a terrible choice being a Dragon Ball fan.

It’s the idea of non-gaming characters being playable opening massive floodgates allowing people to want virtually any character.

I want Sora so I’m actually not sure if Kingdom Hearts’ Disney content will be the one exception.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is...very, very interesting.

Let's take a look at this. Most reliable Ballot poll thingy we've got.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Simon places 11th for third party newcomers here.
Honestly, I'd still argue Simon was a Sakurai pick (if Richter and the abundance of songs didn't make that obvious enough). Compared to the percentage of votes for characters above him, Simon was of average rank. Factor in the Nintendo characters and it's way less impressive.

D

Deleted member

Dunno if you guys are talking about it, but have you read the new Sourcegaming interview with Sakurai in Famitsu?

He literally states he's been looking at the ballot as his primary source for picks this time around. I mean, it was already pretty obvious, but this should quell all the people who stick to patterns saying we're getting "another Pokemon from Gen 7, because we always get new Pokemon," or a retro pick, or a new FE, character, or any character that came out after the ballot happened (Rex/Pyra, Springman, etc...). So, as I've said multiple times before, I think the most confident picks are characters who got a lot of votes in the ballot.

-Banjo
-Isaac
-Bandana Dee
-Paper Mario
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Shadow

Shadow is clearly gonna be an echo at this point. Meaning that out of the remaining 6, we'll very likely be seeing most of them get in. And then there's the DLC to factor in, which isn't planned but will possibly see more characters from the ballots (the ones that didn't make the base roster).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The fact that Crash is ranked lower than Goku is extremely disturbing...
Depends if it's an "expected" or "wanted".

Goku is highly wanted, highly iconic, and highly popular. He's just not eligible. Let's not sugarcoat it, he's more well known than Crash too. Of course Crash has better chances by virtue of being eligible for being playable. But he's not on Goku's level either way.

A lot of characters aren't on his level. But it doesn't matter anyway, unless Sakurai allows non-game 3rd parties to be playable, but even then? That barely leaves much that are requested enough to be worth getting. Popeye(due to his origins), Goku, and Mickey Mouse are the only major big guns as is. Rest are smaller and less popular or clearly just options for the meme, instead. So they're irrelevant.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Dunno if you guys are talking about it, but have you read the new Sourcegaming interview with Sakurai in Famitsu?

He literally states he's been looking at the ballot as his primary source for picks this time around. I mean, it was already pretty obvious, but this should quell all the people who stick to patterns saying we're getting "another Pokemon from Gen 7, because we always get new Pokemon," or a retro pick, or a new FE, character, or any character that came out after the ballot happened (Rex/Pyra, Springman, etc...). So, as I've said multiple times before, I think the most confident picks are characters who got a lot of votes in the ballot.

-Banjo
-Isaac
-Bandana Dee
-Paper Mario
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Shadow

Shadow is clearly gonna be an echo at this point. Meaning that out of the remaining 6, we'll very likely be seeing most of them get in. And then there's the DLC to factor in, which isn't planned but will possibly see more characters from the ballots (the ones that didn't make the base roster).
If he's taking a look at the Ballot, I wouldn't place Skull Kid too highly.
That's my only real qualm, though. But I also wouldn't be too confident in even the "safest" of picks.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sad. Goemon is not even on the list.
Poor goemon.

I really hope he is dlc. Super easy character. He is a win.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I want to live in the world where Goku is announced.

But you know that's because I'm a chaotic neutral personality and sometimes watching the world burn is fun.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
damn bruh if sakurai barely got castlevania are we sure he can get geno off of square's greasy lil hands
I know he phrased it like a “huge hurdle” but he came away with two characters (three from the company as a whole), another extremely well known character as an assist.... and more villains from the series than you could fill in a miserable pile of secrets.

For such a hurdle, they sure gave Sakurai everything he wanted. I feel he might just be being humble.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Phantasy Star's one of Sega's biggest IPs right now with how successful Phantasy Star Online has been over the years. Shenmue and Sakura Taisen are in the process of getting a sequel. Bayonetta's a Sega IP even though other companies are involved. Border Break is one of those big IPs that haven't made it outside of Japan.

Puyo Puyo is something people still associate with Compile instead of Sega, but there's still a lot of demand for Arle.

And this is just stuff that Sega owns, they do work on IPs they don't own too.
Powerstone. Old and dead...but...Powerstone

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Powerstone. Old and dead...but...Powerstone
Uhhhh

That’s Capcom tho

Also I know she’s deconfirmed but how high did Fiora score on the ballot? I wanna know to see if it corroborates my theory. Likewise how high did Kumatora, Paula, Bass and Proto Man score?

And while I’m at it, Captain Toad too? The doc doesn’t display well on mobile which is why I ask

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I know he phrased it like a “huge hurdle” but he came away with two characters (three from the company as a whole), another extremely well known character as an assist.... and more villains from the series than you could fill in a miserable pile of secrets.

For such a hurdle, they sure gave Sakurai everything he wanted. I feel he might just be being humble.
Huge hurtle is prob him being modest.
And there is more 3rd parties i bet.

Like goemon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
No Gardevoir :(

Still, Shantae got more votes than the Ice Climbers. That's interesting.
I'm not expecting it, like at all, but I voted for Shantae during the ballot and if she got in I would lose it.
I was more into her in 2015 than now, but i'd still be ridiculously hype. It'd be like the me from 2015 finally got what he wanted.

D

Deleted member

If he's taking a look at the Ballot, I wouldn't place Skull Kid too highly.
That's my only real qualm, though. But I also wouldn't be too confident in even the "safest" of picks.
I'm personally indifferent toward Skull Kid (I honestly think he'd be better as a boss), but he's got quite a bit of popularity overall.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure we're getting any more stages, maybe one more? The way Sakurai worded was as if they were struggling with having enough people to even get to get 100 stages in the game with updated graphics. That was the impression he gave me. I hope there are maybe a couple more.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Konami is probably just happy for free exposure. Simon AND Richter? Sure. All the memorable bosses in a stage? Why not? Alucard as an assist? Okie dokie. 34 music tracks? We don't care. Go for it.

all this exposure will surely make people buy our games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom