• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If Crash was to be added, that roster would be 100% perfect. Sonic vs Crash vs Mario and Crash vs Banjo?

WYNAUT?
I'll be real here, I'd honestly love to see Crash and Spyro in more than Banjo. It be the trifecta of Video Game characters beating the **** out of each other for real this time...

Though I guess I should also post who I want as newcomers for me to be super duper hype:
Deathborn
Black Shadow(e) [Falcon]
Shadow(e) [Sonic]
Eggman
Hades
Medusa(e) [Palutena]
Akuma(e) [Ryu]
Big Boss(e) [Snake]
Father Balder(e) [Bayonetta] {Jean got disconfirmed via palletes :(}
Zack Fair(e) [Cloud]
Porky
Mike Jones
Dixie(e) [Diddy Kong]
Doom Slayer

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to just come in like this, but has the fact that there's two mushroom icons in the sound test been talked about yet? If it has, my apologies for the redundancy. If not, it's definitely weird. I'd assume that one of them is for spin-offs or something.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 7.00.48 PM.png

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
We still haven't seen his final smash, which has probably changed due to transformation FSes not being a thing anymore
Oh boy do I have a laundry list of changes I want to see to justify his absence from the demo...

Tether recovery
Eating items with his neutral B
reworked Side B (it could still happen)
armor on some of his attacks
New Fsmash (god was it awful)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sorry to just come in like this, but has the fact that there's two mushroom icons in the sound test been talked about yet? If it has, my apologies for the redundancy. If not, it's definitely weird. I'd assume there's an extra tab for spin-offs or something.

View attachment 158543
Yeah it has.
General theory is one is for the Mario franchise and the other is for the Mario spinoffs.

D

Deleted member

Sorry to just come in like this, but has the fact that there's two mushroom icons in the sound test been talked about yet? If it has, my apologies for the redundancy. If not, it's definitely weird. I'd assume that one of them is for spin-offs or something.

View attachment 158543
It's likely just Mario Kart, as Mario Kart music has traditionally been filed separately.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You guys seen this "speculator" of Smash Ultimate?:

Is he a leaker or something? If he is purely speculating, then his predictions are certainly eyebrow raising to say the least. Though, personally, I wish he would go more in-depth about his newcomer predictions.

I wonder how he even gets the thought of a Ratholos Assist Trophy as a prediction. I want to talk to him sometime.
While it's fun he got a lot of weird stuff right, it's good not to take it too seriously (tho pls 4 Banjo). What really struck me was the idea of a mode using Assists chosen for attacks--the evidence presented was Lyn in Roy's trailer, and going over it it does look like Lyn popped out of nowhere--has this been discussed previously? Makes sense and would be a nice concession for assists, and I've thought of something similar since we've been getting more, elaborate assist trophies.

And while I normally wouldn't speculate based on a single oddity in a trailer (as they can show pretty much what they want for cinematic purposes), similar hidden gems were in the E3 trailer that was later revealed in the Smash direct.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sorry to just come in like this, but has the fact that there's two mushroom icons in the sound test been talked about yet? If it has, my apologies for the redundancy. If not, it's definitely weird. I'd assume there's an extra tab for spin-offs or something.

View attachment 158543
Yeah, if I had to guess, one tab is for Mario platformers and the other is for Mario Sports and Ect. Which I think is a very handy distinction.

...oh wait I mean THIS CONFIRMS WALUIGI AND GENO, SAKURAI IS MEGA TROLLING US

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

View attachment 158543
Yeah it's been discussed to death, but I still say that it's there due to them being lazy and not taking it out for this build. Why else wouldn't they just group it in one thing? Maybe it's a placeholder?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

View attachment 158543
It's been discussed. Mostly a difference of main title Mario game music and spinoffs in another tike

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If they brought back every Sonic song that was in Smash. There'd still be room for two more tracks. If they don't bring back any that were only in Brawl. That becomes six. And who knows if they cut any of the songs that were in Smash 4. I have a feeling they may at least have one new remix. At least they better do, we still have only just the one from Brawl for Angel Island Zone heh. And all these Sega composers doing work for many Nintendo franchises already, would be kinda dumb to not even have one for Sega's own mascot heh.
We thought there would be a remixed song in Smash 4 and got none, and Angel Island isn’t enough (so many songs that can get remixed, and Sonic is the one 3rd party series who deserves more remixes than just one the most), but it might be Sega not wanting their music messed with (the characters and stages can be messed with...but not their precious music)...also it would be kinda dumb for Sega composers remixing every series available BUT the Sonic series.
I noticed that we didn’t see Classic Mode on the menu, making me think it’s under “SMASH” in the first sub-menu, with any other single-player modes like a potential Adventure and obligatory All-Star.
It could be in the “Games and More” section this time

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Thank you all for the responses. Sorry, it's been a bit since I've checked in.
Definitely strange though. I guess it goes to show how much Mario music there is in the game if it needs two tabs.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
We thought there would be a remixed song in Smash 4 and got none, and Angel Island isn’t enough (so many songs that can get remixed, and Sonic is the one 3rd party series who deserves more remixes than just one the most), but it might be Sega not wanting their music messed with (the characters and stages can be messed with...but not their precious music)...also it would be kinda dumb for Sega composers remixing every series available BUT the Sonic series.
This is why I think that the statements from the last direct were false. They probably still have plenty more to show around this time.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
Music is like the only thing Sonic has left nowadays, it makes sense that they want to keep it.

D

Deleted member

While it's fun he got a lot of weird stuff right, it's good not to take it too seriously (tho pls 4 Banjo). What really struck me was the idea of a mode using Assists chosen for attacks--the evidence presented was Lyn in Roy's trailer, and going over it it does look like Lyn popped out of nowhere--has this been discussed previously? Makes sense and would be a nice concession for assists, and I've thought of something similar since we've been getting more, elaborate assist trophies.

And while I normally wouldn't speculate based on a single oddity in a trailer (as they can show pretty much what they want for cinematic purposes), similar hidden gems were in the E3 trailer that was later revealed in the Smash direct.
I think the Lyn thing was just an example, Lyn's AT already has her flash step near someone.

Also, I'd just like to point out it's very possible those aren't predictions but rather leaked information disguised as such. Though the thing is that the Discord screenshots are the ones that have the crazier predictions but, like, those are the easiest to fake.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Music is like the only thing Sonic has left nowadays, it makes sense that they want to keep it.
Sonic still has his memes and the games that are either an up or a down (I would say there’s the Sonic Boom Show, but I fear it’s done...and no words for the upcoming movie)
Thank you all for the responses. Sorry, it's been a bit since I've checked in.
Definitely strange though. I guess it goes to show how much Mario music there is in the game if it needs two tabs.
It also puts everyone else in their place, cause nobody can dethrone Mario...except Luigi
This is why I think that the statements from the last direct were false. They probably still have plenty more to show around this time.
Yeah, don’t think Splatoon and Castlevania will be the only new series to join Smash (one more will join at the least), and outside of Final Fantasy, I don’t see most of the series not having a few more songs in their list (like Metroid and Kirby)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of music

Please Sakurai just give me more music from a good Fire Emblem

View attachment 158543
It's a placeholder probably. Or Mario Kart. One of the two.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
wow i am terrible at forgetting when i already posted

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question, did that supposed 100% accurate leak have Richter?

So far he's the only character added to the game that people who haven't been burned so many times they assume impossibility (Looking at you big bad boss lizards) wouldn't have as a safe pick.

Last edited:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting...very interesting.
I'm not buying it just yet, but if our remaining newcomers were
Geno
Incineroar
Skull Kid
Bandanna Dee
Shadow
Isabelle
Chorus Kids
and
Banjo Kazooie
I would absolutely lose it. 100% perfect roster.
i like that quite a lot

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Random thought… it's probably stupid thing to think about, but believe me when i say i don't have the intention of being disrespectful at all not even by accident, it's just a random idea that came to my mind…

With the passing of our dear Ishizuka Unshou, japanese VA of characters known like Proffesor Oak and Heihachi… If Heihachi is/was ever actually a thing to begin with, would it be too unlikely for Nintendo to have the announcement of the character moved closer to us now, like, let's say gamescom, and at the same time we would get a tribute message to our guy at the end of the reveal trailer. Would that be an unlikely thing for Nintendo to do? Just curious for your thoughts. I don't even care about Heihachi, it's just something that happened to come to my mind.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random thought… it's probably stupid thing to think about, but believe me when i say i don't have the intention of being disrespectful at all not even by accident, it's just a random idea that came to my mind…

With the passing of our dear Ishizuka Unshou, japanese VA of characters known like Proffesor Oak and Heihachi… If Heihachi is/was ever actually a thing to begin with, would it be too unlikely for Nintendo to have the announcement of the character moved closer to us now, like, let's say gamescom, and at the same time we would get a tribute message to our guy at the end of the reveal trailer. Would that be an unlikely thing for Nintendo to do? Just curious for your thoughts. I don't even care about Heihachi, it's just something that happened to come to my mind.
If in already, there'd probably be a tribute on the reveal and on the game itself the game would have a "In memory of" as it would be his last game role.

RIP

D

Deleted member

Character reveals are planned out im advance, this can be seen by how Smash 4 intro screen on the 3DS had the characters show up in order of their reveal and now Ultimate numbers them all and has the roster be in that exact order.
The only ones who are interchangeable are the Echoes.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Honestly I'm not so sure about Heihachi now. Assuming he was planned, I mean by the time they did voice acting for him would Ishizuka have been too ill to voice him? I mean assuming he was gradually getting very ill.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I'm not so sure about Heihachi now. Assuming he was planned, I mean by the time they did voice acting for him would Ishizuka have been too ill to voice him? I mean assuming he was gradually getting very ill.
It really depends on how early development began for Heihachi specifically. Also, they might've replaced him as a Voice Actor during his period of illness.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Character reveals are planned out im advance, this can be seen by how Smash 4 intro screen on the 3DS had the characters show up in order of their reveal and now Ultimate numbers them all and has the roster be in that exact order.
The only ones who are interchangeable are the Echoes.
I know that but I'm not talking about being interchangeable, nor about if they decide to make him a character all of sudden. I'm talking that if he IS already a decided character, would Nintendo move its reveal closer with a tribute message or something sooner due to timming of the event of his passing? That's what i'm asking

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if anyone that isn't bordering on 30 likes Banjo
I'm sure some kid really liked Nuts and Bolts in the late 00's and is now using their fledgling Youtube Career to challenge public perception of it as a betrayal.

D

Deleted member

I know that but I'm not talking about being interchangeable, nor about if they decide to make him a character all of sudden. I'm talking that if he IS already a decided character, would Nintendo move its reveal closer with a tribute message or something sooner due to timming of the event of his passing? That's what i'm asking
That's still what I'm saying. The order of reveals has already been planned, if Heihachi is in and he isn't already the next character, they'd have to change the order ingame.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how far in advance Ishizuka recorded stuff (he was in several things this year) but if Heihachi were in the base roster then they wouldn't change anything due to worldwide scheduling.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
30? I'd say early to mid 20s folks know who Banjo is.

Younger than that it probably loses support. Nuts & Bolts & Smash fans might exist but I wouldn't say they are high in numbers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, Sakurai DID once state in an interview that Castlevania had a large impact on his childhood iirc, so that makes total sense.
Plus I think Konami is on damage control and trying to win back support. Letting Sakurai go nuts with it in Smash is a good way to do so 'cause look how bad Square looks when they give the bare minimum and nothing more.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, it depends on what you mean. I...

Good point…

Ah… umm… well… I guess I can't answer that since I turned 27 this july… lol, but i do like Banjo & Kazooie, its two games were part of my fav games on N64 for sure
...turned 27 this July... also. xD But it makes sense, Banjo was very prominent in the 90s when I was a kid, and even though there's people who liked Nuts & Bolts, it didn't make much of a splash. Here's hoping for a much needed revival of the bear and bird (let me dream). I don't think relevancy is a deterrent this time around, and B&K were very popular in the 2015 ballot days.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
First Bomberman's creator, now Heihachi's voice actor

I question if both of these were planned in advance at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom