• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't think you know what wasted potential means, man
Yes I do. I know Dark Samus is not wasted potential. Like Dark Samus is fine, are you going to argue that Ashley should of got in instead of Dark Samus? I love Dark Samus in Smash!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

This is all he said on the matter

'Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.'

Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

That doesn't deconfirm Goku he's appeared over 40 times in Nintendo games
“Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)."

Not disconfirmed at all.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
This is all he said on the matter

'Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.'

Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

That doesn't deconfirm Goku he's appeared over 40 times in Nintendo games
But first appeared in a manga, making him a manga character.

Master Chief is more likely than Goku, and he hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console either.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't think you know what wasted potential means, man
I mean, you should stop saying she is. Be happy Dark Samus was even included at all. She is the only US created character in the roster. Metroids best villain (Ridley) was added as a unique character already. Metroid wasnt going to get 2 unique characters. This game already is getting a limited newcomer roster.

It's the same reason why I highly doubt Dixie would ever get a unique moveset too. There are way too many potential characters still to let one franchise even get 2 unique ones.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, you should stop saying she is. Be happy Dark Samus was even included at all. She is the only US created character in the roster. Metroids best villain (Ridley) was added as a unique character already. Metroid wasnt going to get 2 unique characters. This game already is getting a limited newcomer roster.
I never said she was as a serious suggestion, that phrase has been tossed around as a joke.

Yes I do. I know Dark Samus is not wasted potential. Like Dark Samus is fine, are you going to argue that Ashley should of got in instead of Dark Samus? I love Dark Samus in Smash!
I don't care about Ashley nor Dark Samus.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think it's funny how people who are mad with Dark Samus's wasted potential can't seem to understand that she probably wouldn't be in Smash at all if it weren't for her cloney moveset.

Her representation isn't perfect, but hey, if you would rather keep her as an Assist Trophy...
Are you really playing as that character though if its not how it could or should be?

An extreme and unlikely example; lets say they add isaac but uses only Wario's moves. Are we really playing Isaac at that point? It looks like Isaac, the announcer says its Isaac... But is it isaac? Philosophical thought.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
The game itself refers to Dark Samus as a she and its lore says that the Space Pirates praise Dark Samus as a goddess. Metroid Prime probably didn't have a sex, but it copied Samus' DNA, which probably copied all the icky female stuff as well.
Well Metroid wiki refers to her as a being of Phazon which is accurate but if Phazon means it can genetically modify itself to a human I guess it's a she...

Yes because most manga characters aren't in video games. Obviously that can't statement can't be taken literally as that would mean anyone who has ever appeared in a manga including Pokemon and mario can't be in smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Are you really playing as that character though if its not how it could or should be?

An extreme and unlikely example; lets say they add isaac but uses only Wario's moves. Are we really playing Isaac at that point? It looks like Isaac, the announcer says its Isaac... But is it isaac? Philosophical thought.
It's a battle of accurate representation. Would you rather get a character who doesn't play like you thought they would, or would you rather not get them at all?

I'm neutral with DS, so I don't care either way. But for those of you who feel strongly about her one way or another, you'll have to answer this question eventually.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
That's not even to say Dark Samus doesn't have unique smash attacks (her tentacle or phazon moves). We have no idea what they are yet so she could very well be more unique than we know.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
Ridley's too big.
Villager can't fight.

...Obviously.

It's a battle of accurate representation. Would you rather get a character who doesn't play like you thought they would, or would you rather not get them at all?

I'm neutral with DS, so I don't care either way. But for those of you who feel strongly about her one way or another, you'll have to answer this question eventually.
Idk Dark Samus is okay - aspects disappoint about it. But like are we just adding characters for the sake of adding them? Could be a slippery slope.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Yes because most manga characters aren't in video games. Obviously that can't statement can't be taken literally as that would mean anyone who has ever appeared in a manga including Pokemon and mario can't be in smash.
1534605353510.png

Dragon Ball is a manga.
Goku originated in Dragon Ball.
He is a manga character.

Sakurai said:
1534605408010.png

thus Goku cannot be in Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It means characters who originated in a manga.
What's so hard to get about that?

Ridley's too big.
Villager can't fight.

...Obviously.
Ah yes, issues with the character themselves in Sakurai's opinion are totally comparable to all the legal hoops one has to go through to get a non-video game character added.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Yeah about that...

That was bs. Two weeks later he went on reset era flaming and just straight up trolling and being a dock, getting banned pretty quick all because of daisy arguments.

Unfortunately he kind of won in the end. This may sound wrong but I can’t be happy with daisy in smash because it means he wins and he destroyed that fanbase and it’s reputation.

Maybe in time I’ll play her as I use peach a lot but it’s going to sting.
Well also remember him and other fanatic Daisy fans were very insistent that she couldn't be a Peach clone, and would get into Smash as her own full-fledged character. So sure they got playable Daisy, but it was in the capacity they adamantly didn't want.

People are really picky about reformed villains no longer being considered antagonists.
I always thought it was silly how whenever someone mentions Dedede, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, and even Wolf as villain representation in Smash, a swarm of people always comes in to get pedantic and argue against it.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Honestly? I rather not get them at all if they don't play anything like the character. I really wanted Dark Samus since Brawl, and take into account I'm not a fan of how original Samus plays. So I was banking on a character I would have liked seeing playable maybe having a playstyle accurate to what it does in its home game, while not being too similar to a character I never enjoyed playing.

Now we got a character I wanted with a playstyle I've never liked since 64, Melee, Brawl, 4...so, its nice its in the game, but monkey-paw wishes and all that.

Still, I'll get over it. Wolf was all I wanted.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Because he never said originated lol. Obviously he's talking generally because besides Goku how many manga characters are in over 40 Nintendo titles.

Anyway that interview is ancient history next thing I know people will be linking his old quotes 'villager can't fight' and 'Ridley is too big ' for reasons as to why Ridley isn't really in smash and everyone collectively hallucinated the whole thing.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Ah yes, issues with the character themselves in Sakurai's opinion are totally comparable to all the legal hoops one has to go through to get a non-video game character added.

Ah yes, the proverbial legal hoop.
I didnt know this forum had so many lawyers working in a corporate legal office.

It must be a difficult process since Sakurai has had so much bad luck with it. It's not like he's obtained a single permission.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Because he never said originated lol. Obviously he's talking generally because besides Goku how many manga characters are in over 40 Nintendo titles.

Anyway that interview is ancient history next thing I know people will be linking his old quotes 'villager can't fight' and 'Ridley is too big ' for reasons as to why Ridley isn't really in smash and everyone collectively hallucinated the whole thing.
Are... are you serious?

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
How the heck did R.O.B save the video game industry in 1983? I thought he was just an extremely obscure NES add-on with two games.
ROB helped Nintendo market the NES in toy isles instead of as a dedicated video game since there wasn't interest after the crash, and this availability created success in Nintendo in the west.

Noipoi

Howdy!
"Shrek has had many Video Games. Shrek should be in Smash!"
If I said that unironically i'd be crucified, and rightfully so.
the only difference here is that we're not talking about Shrek, we're talking about Goku.
For some reason people can't seem to grasp the fact that Goku has the same chances as Shrek.

NONE.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Because he never said originated lol
A Manga character is someone who originated in a manga.
Use your brain my guy.

I didnt know this forum had so many lawyers working in a corporate legal office.

It must be a difficult process since Sakurai has had so much bad luck with it. It's not like he's obtained a single permission.
No, there are far more hoops to go through to get a non-video game character. It's not Bond levels but it's far more than having to acquire Cloud or Bayonetta.
One doesn't need to be a lawyer to possess basic common sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Did you know Toei is INCREDIBLY stingy with their premium IPs? If Goku somehow manages to get in the game I wouldn't complain, but how can you ignore copyright ****ery when TOEI THEMSELVES ADORE ****ING ABOUT WITH COPYRIGHT. There are more people they need to ask for permission, which means more royalties. And again, Toei is greedy and overcharges on their premium IP to the point they wouldn't let Crunchyroll see if Kamen Rider could find itself a niche audience outside of Japan without forking over a ****ton of money

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master

That interview came out in 2015.
2015. The year the roster was finalized.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wait. KMDP KMDP , I assume you can't guess my vote, right?
Uh... no, I can't.

I can't know everyone's top picks. XD
---
RE:Goku.

Goku is a manga character, this is fact. The fact that he has also appeared in anime, movies and video games does not change the fact that he is a Manga Character.

When Sakurai said "Manga characters won't make it into Smash" he was probably obliquely referring to Goku (also Luffy), because he probably gets lots of requests for Goku because Dragon Ball is one of the most popular manga/anime of all time.

I wouldn't mind Goku in Smash, but it's probably not going to happen.

Now I suggest we drop this topic before a Moderator makes us.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Dragon Ball is primarily a manga and anime franchise, yes it has games but having games doesn't make the franchise significant to gaming so there's really no reason to add him into a fighting game focused on video game franchises. Spongebob has hella games on and off nintendo systems too but that doesn't mean it should be in smash since it's a cartoon first and foremost.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would unironically enjoy Shrek in Smash more than I would Goku.

Granted, I don't want either one in, but still. :p

Untouch

Smash Master
On the topic of characters that are from video games primarily.
Regarding the MH stage shown off in the trailer. While it is very likely story related, it was shown off after the stages part of the direct, which could be why it wasn't shown on the stage selection screen, and why it isnt on the site.
I was thinking, MH doesn't have a logo on the My Music page even though it should if it has a boss battle (other is only for songs that appear in 1 game, the Rathalos theme appears in a lot of the MH series), but Rathalos was shown after the My Music section.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I would unironically enjoy Shrek in Smash more than I would Goku.

Granted, I don't want either one in, but still. :p
I'd take Sans over Goku, because at least Sans is a video game character.
Also I kinda like Undertale, can't wait for it to come to the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom