• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Cloud never broke any "rules"? He was definitely possible, but more a possibility than a probability at the time.

also would like to request the apparent rule list you nagged from Sakurai's closet?
Buddy, i remember mentioning Cloud and I got an onslaught of "hes a playstation icon" and he's "never really been on a nintendo console" etc etc... Cloud was never seen as likely

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Buddy, i remember mentioning Cloud and I got an onslaught of "hes a playstation icon" and he's "never really been on a nintendo console" etc etc... Cloud was never seen as likely
You say that like you didn't see that I joined before you. Besides that, he was still possible. Just not perceived as probable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Cloud never broke any "rules"? He was definitely possible, but more a possibility than a probability at the time.
Pretty much every "rule" that was broken wasn't an actual rule as much as fan rule. The whole "no manga character" rule is an actual rule that has been confirmed and which hasn't ever been broken.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

also would like to request the apparent rule list you nagged from Sakurai's closet?
Are there even any rules to begin with? Sakurai does what he wants. It's his game. I think the only rules he has to follow (aside from legal stuff) would be the rules set by Nintendo

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
You say that like you didn't see that I joined before you. Besides that, he was still possible. Just not perceived as probable.
Follow up to that statement you said, possible gets thrown around a lot more than probable. We really should be saying probable instead of possible tbh.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much every "rule" that was broken wasn't an actual rule as much as fan rule. The whole "no manga character" rule is an actual rule that has been confirmed and which hasn't ever been broken.
My Dad is Nintendo and he said that Sakurai told him that adding Shulk broke the "no Xenoblade characters" rule that was in place since Smash 64.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
The classic sonic discourse kinda shows that bias can hit serious smash discussions pretty easily. Yall really think Sakurai is gonna go "Yeah I want Sonic but his newer games are **** it's Classic Sonic Mania forever Babyyyyyy". He's gonna choose echo fighters based on feasability and popularity and shadow fits both of those bills. Classic Sonic doesn't even have the same size/shape as sonic so it's going to be a lot more effort to make him an echo fighter over shadow. Just because you don't like any of the 3d sonic games doesn't mean classic sonic makes more sense.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well you must have been inactive or something to think Cloud didn't shock and surprise the fandom at the time of his inclusion. You came off ignorant like he was foreseeable.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
A bit of a dumb question but one I've been mulling over do to all the fan hype.

What does Shadow mean to the Sonic franchise?

I'm serious.
I don't think it's a dumb question, as there's a large difference of opinion among old school and new school fans on Shadow.

For me, Sonic represents old school Sonic (outside of using the modern design and homing attack), whereas Shadow represents more modern Sonic, being the most popular of the Adventure era (the era I grew up in). Given that Smash Sonic is a mixture of new school and old school, it doesn't make much of a difference. But I feel like if Sonic's going to get another character, it'll be an echo--though there are ways to differentiate them, such as Shadow's chaos control.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite of the series, so it'd be awesome to see for me personally. It's a shame if he's an echo, we won't get a hype trailer recreating SA2 scenes, or a stage with space colony ARK in the background.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Follow up to that statement you said, possible gets thrown around a lot more than probable. We really should be saying probable instead of possible tbh.
Probable is more likely to happen. Possible is just really any percentage.

Well you must have been inactive or something to think Cloud didn't shock and surprise the fandom at the time of his inclusion. You came off ignorant like he was foreseeable.
He still had a shot to be in regardless. I don't care about how people reacted, I care about how you compare a completely understandable inclusion is on the grand scale of ****ing Goku.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Question, anyone think that since they changed Zelda's appearance to A Link between worlds, they actually have plans to add Hilda into the game? Thinking more about it, Hilda is an excellent character to add as an Echo.
Hilda might work as an Echo, but I don't think they should add her.

Contrary to popular belief, Echoes are not effortless clones that take 0 hours and 0 minutes to create. You still have to create a unique model with a few different visuals and animations. If Sakurai considered multiple characters as Echoes, there's a good chance he had to trim his selection down and toss aside a few extras. Not to offend her supporters or anything, but I really don't believe Hilda should be prioritized over others. Sakurai would be adding her for the sole purpose of having a Zelda Echo, not because she's iconic or popular among the community.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Classic Sonic would be such an awful addition.
And if stuff in Smash was based off of how "good" something was then Star Fox content wouldn't have been updated to look like Star Fox Zero and we wouldn't have had Other M content at all. But here we are.

also Shadow the Hedgehog isn't even that bad of a game lol

Are there even any rules to begin with? Sakurai does what he wants. It's his game. I think the only rules he has to follow (aside from legal stuff) would be the rules set by Nintendo
The only rule is video game characters only.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

Contrary to popular belief, Echoes are not effortless clones that take 0 hours and 0 minutes to create. You still have to create a unique model with a few different visuals and animations. If Sakurai considered multiple characters as Echoes, there's a good chance he had to trim his selection down and toss aside a few extras. Not to offend her supporters or anything, but I really don't believe Hilda should be prioritized over others. Sakurai would be adding her for the sole purpose of having a Zelda Echo, not because she's iconic or popular among the community.
But why are you willing to sacrifice the reason why Hilda would be in for her not being in at all?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I've been thinking the same thing. If they don't make her an echo, they'll probably give Zelda an alternate costume, since it makes so much sense
Alternate costume wouldn't work, Zelda's current animations would be completely out of character for hilda. If they add her she'll be an echo

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well except for Lucario who debuted in an anime movie. People like to say he was designed for the games first, which likely isn't true since by this time Pokemom was a fulfledged multimedia franchise. They needed a specific pokemon with a specific look to fulfill a specific role.

They did this with Lugia in Pokemon 2000 he was designed for the movie. He wasnt even in the beta of gold and silver. He appeared as a pokeball pokemon in smash.

I know this is a massive contrast.

But like "no anime characters" is a rule today.
And then suddenly one day... It's not. Just like when he said he couldn't add villager or Ridley.

I wouldnt be surprised if one day Sakurai was just like "anime has made it's contributions tp video games too - so I felt like adding a guest as a nod of recognition to that."

To say this is impossible... Its closed minded.
To say its highly unlikely... Thats fair.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

to be fair though her model could literally just be a modified Zelda since they're near identical. You're not wrong about animations though, changing all of those animations to fit hilda's personality would be hella work for a character that isn't really popular, like, at all

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well except for Lucario who debuted in an anime movie. People like to say he was designed for the games first, which likely isn't true since by this time Pokemom was a fulfledged multimedia franchise. They needed a specific pokemon with a specific look to fulfill a specific role.

They did this with Lugia in Pokemon 2000 he was designed for the movie. He wasnt even in the beta of gold and silver. He appeared as a pokeball pokemon in smash.

I know this is a massive contrast.

But like "no anime characters" is a rule today.
And then suddenly one day... It's not. Just like when he said he couldn't add villager or Ridley.

I wouldnt be surprised if one day Sakurai was just like "anime has made it's contributions tp video games too - so I felt like adding a guest as a nod of recognition to that."

To say this is impossible... Its closed minded.
To say its highly unlikely... Thats fair.
Lucario is a Nintendo character whereas Goku is not, which is the difference, since the whole manga rule was specifically in the context of third-party characters.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to have sown discourse in the thread regarding Classic Sonic.. was just sharing an opinion I thought was possible.. Not that I would want him over any other Sonic rep. :)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But why are you willing to sacrifice the reason why Hilda would be in for her not being in at all?
Because just like standard unique characters, Sakurai doesn't have the time and resources to add every single viable character who could work as an Echo.

If he wants to add Hilda, great. Her inclusion wouldn't offend me at all. I just don't want her to be prioritized over more popular characters like Dixie, Isabelle, and Shadow.

D

Deleted member

:ultdarksamus: wanna talk about wasted potential and the amount of "who gives a **** in the end"? :ultdarksamus:
People comparing a character from two games with the same proportions as an already existing fighter to promiment and popular characters in their series who only share sizes at best with already existing fighters is what's gonna make me lose my damn head on this speculation period.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Calling Dark Samus Wasted Potential."

You got some acorns on you kid!

I love Dark Samus in Smash! :ultdarksamus:
I don't think you know what wasted potential means, man

People comparing a character from two games with the same proportions as an already existing fighter to promiment and popular characters in their series who only share sizes at best with already existing fighters is what's gonna make me lose my damn head on this speculation period.
Are you implying it's impossible to be unique with only two games just because you share the same name as someone you pretty much cloned yourself after?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it's funny how people who are mad with Dark Samus's wasted potential can't seem to understand that she probably wouldn't be in Smash at all if it weren't for her cloney moveset.

Her representation isn't perfect, but hey, if you would rather keep her as an Assist Trophy...

D

Deleted member

I think it's funny how people who are mad with Dark Samus's wasted potential can't seem to understand that she probably wouldn't be in Smash at all if it weren't for her cloney moveset.

Her representation isn't perfect, but hey, if you would rather keep her as an Assist Trophy...
Most people seem to share that mindset. It's more of an "I wish she could've kept the tentacle move as a down smash, but it's not too bad because she wouldn't be in otherwise" from what I've seen.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Because just like standard unique characters, Sakurai doesn't have the time and resources to add every single viable character who could work as an Echo.

If he wants to add Hilda, great. Her inclusion wouldn't offend me at all. I just don't want her to be prioritized over more popular characters like Dixie, Isabelle, and Shadow.
That's such a noble way of thinking and I have nothing but respect for it.
"I don't want filthy anime characters tainting muh pure smash game"
http://www.mcleodgaming.com/viewflash.php?id=6&type=game
I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Outside of Smash modding and this game, Goku or anyone that didn't appear in a video game first (with some exceptions) will not make it in. Please use the available resource to satisfy this need.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
This is all he said on the matter

'Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.'

Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

That doesn't deconfirm Goku he's appeared over 40 times in Nintendo games

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
https://youtu.be/hK9Ie3Fp7yg

I hope MGS4s main theme returns from Brawl always a neat track. Although I guess the love theme would require another 'action' version remix for it to fit with Nintendo's tone.

Either way I really hope MGS gets some more love in smash considering they're going all out with castlevania.
Snake Codecs are definitely returning and we already know there’ll atleast be one remixed song in Ultimate, so he’ll be getting some good love (only real thing that shows a lack of love is his lack of ***)
A bit of a dumb question but one I've been mulling over do to all the fan hype.

What does Shadow mean to the Sonic franchise?

I'm serious.
I’d say Shadow represents the 3D Sonic games more than everyone outside the core characters (Sanic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman), as well as their edgier side (well...the good parts of the edge and not 06), being a factor in the first 3D Sonic game from Sega/Sonic Team USA, and being the 2nd most popular character in the entire canon...but mostly for the edge
He's like Vegeta to Goku. You can't really imagine one without the other.
tbf...you can, but it’s better to have both than just one

Inb4 people start preferring her as an Assist Trophy and decide to ***** about how she/it isn’t playable

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
technically dark Samus isn't a she it's an it and Dark Samus is really just Metroid prime
The game itself refers to Dark Samus as a she and its lore says that the Space Pirates praise Dark Samus as a goddess. Metroid Prime probably didn't have a sex, but it copied Samus' DNA, which probably copied all the icky female stuff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom