• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I just realized something...When's the last time we've seen Ganondorf in a Zelda game? Not Ganon, not Demise, but straight up Ganondorf. Twilight Princess???

Not counting HW lol.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think I can handle the death of another beloved character, but killing Yoshi would bring a tear to my eye.

All it'd take is a quick slice from a Long Sword to do 'im in. He's probably not much tougher than the other small monsters in the MH world.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just realized something...When's the last time we've seen Ganondorf in a Zelda game? Not Ganon, not Demise, but straight up Ganondorf. Twilight Princess???

Not counting HW lol.
Also Ganondorf had only appeared in one game when he joined the fray.

Goes to show how unwilling Zelda team to have a proper recurring cast except Zelda and Link.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Also Ganondorf had only appeared in one game when he joined the fray.

Goes to show how unwilling Zelda team to have a proper recurring cast except Zelda and Link.
It's really fascinating. Ganondorf is supposedly up there with major Nintendo villains but that form of him hasn't been in mainline game in forever. I have no idea where they could go with a next game, but I'd like to see a new Ganondorf design.

villager

Smash Rookie
Is anyone else sick of every Pokémon newcomer being either one from the newest Gen or one (or more) from Gen 1?

It's part of why I really want this Gardevoir leak to be on to something...aside from it being my fav. Pokémon..it would mean other gens actually have a chance.
Here's some more evidence in your favor:
  • The only Pokemon representation in Smash so far are six Gen 1, one Gen 2, one Gen 4, and one Gen 6.
  • Gardevoir is Gen 3 and Gothitelle is Gen 5.
If the leak is true, then all gens up to gen 6 will have fighter representation.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Skull Kid reveal trailer has Yoshi crushed by a giant moon. :troll:
All it'd take is a quick slice from a Long Sword to do 'im in. He's probably not much tougher than the other small monsters in the MH world.
Nah son, Yoshi is going to be flattened by the greatsword.
I'm gone for like a half-hour and Yoshi disrespect runs rampant? For shame Smashboards, for shame.

Yoshi would murder them...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Not counting HW lol.
Yeah Twilight Princess was the last appearance of Ganondorf outside of remakes, which goes to show how absurd it was that people called K. Rool a "retired character" and "throwaway villain Nintendo doesn't want to use anymore" just because he missed two DK games, completely ignoring his prominence in the series prior to that and how other big villains also miss games.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Ganondorf is Ganon for all intents and purposes though..same character, different form, different name..

StormC

Smash Hero
The problem is, there isn't much of a solution.

You can't expect JRPG fans to be satified with just Marth and Ike. On top of that Shulk, Cloud etc HAS unique designs (Cloud less so, since everyone copied from him) and do bring interesting movesets. It's just as you said, a lot easier to see the similarities between them.

I think it's fine getting a few, for people who will enjoy them.
I obviously don't have a problem with it, being a Cloud main. It's just hard to get people on fence engaged. K. Rool and Ridley picked up tons of fans who have never even played their games because of their obvious appeal. Chrom wasn't getting that, that's for sure.

osby

Smash Obsessed
X Zone can actually show the characters saying things and interacting with each other. Smash is more limited.
That reminds me Smash is great at non-verbal communication and we need more of that in a potential new adventure mode.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know who is an icon to the series Mother that would make a good character that no one talks about?

The Starmen!

They would make interesting characters

osby

Smash Obsessed
I obviously don't have a problem with it, being a Cloud main. It's just hard to get people on fence engaged. K. Rool and Ridley picked up tons of fans who have never even played their games because of their obvious appeal. Chrom wasn't getting that, that's for sure.
I think Chrom is having the lukewarm reception half of the clones have. Not that it would change much if he was unique.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, basically both Cloud and K.Rool has a huge amount of potential and merit and to those who have played their games, its obvious.

It's just that people like to look at things at a surface level if they aren't familiar with the content and they tend to go with the more "less generic" design, whatever that may be (and that depends on their own experiences and taste).

Doesn't take away the value of either character though.

Last edited:

villager

Smash Rookie

Not counting HW lol.
Ganondorf is Ganon for all intents and purposes though..same character, different form, different name..
Ganondorf is dead.

Defeated timeline: Became Ganon permanently, and died over and over again to Link's descendants.
Adult timeline: Killed by Wind Waker Link and never seen again. New Hyrule, new villains, etc. etc.
Child timeline: Became Ganon briefly, then died. Couldn't even win with Vaati's help lol

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Chrom is having the lukewarm reception half of the clones have. Not that it would change much if he was unique.
With his fanbase though, that's another story.
Ganondorf is dead.

Defeated timeline: Became Ganon permanently, and died over and over again to Link's descendants.
Adult timeline: Killed by Wind Waker Link and never seen again. New Hyrule, new villains, etc. etc.
Child timeline: Became Ganon briefly, then died. Couldn't even win with Vaati's help lol
Still the same person, name shortening or not, regardless of form.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok. Right I'm either about to blow some of your minds, confuse you or make you think I'm stupid.
How about:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Edit: Ignore this post, I somehow posted twice

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Recall that Yoshi can ride moving cannonballs and send massive creatures into space and make them explode into stars...

The MH creatures ain't got jack on Yoshi!!!
No matter how big your sword is or how high-tech your gun is, it can't compete with the sheer power that is cartoon physics.

Which is why :ultvillager: is probably the most powerful character in Smash Bros canon. His F-Smash is a bowling ball!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Final_Starman_Clay.png

Final Starman Invades the Battle!

And before you say "Who the What now?"

EarthBoundBox.jpg

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, basically both Cloud and K.Rool has a huge amount of potential and merit and to those who have played their games, its obvious.

It's just that people like to look at things at a surface level if they aren't familiar with the content and they tend to go with the more "less generic" design, whatever that may be (and that depends on their own experiences and taste).

Doesn't take away the value of either character though.
I don't think that's necessarily true for K. Rool though. A lot of people who haven't even played his games got interested in the potential of him as a Smash fighter. Or at the very least, they could spend 10 minutes watching his boss battles on YouTube and "get it." I know I got someone in another thread interested in the character just by linking his DKC2 boss battle. Definitely more interest in him than most RPG protagonists from nonfans, at least.

Of course, lots of people that hadn't played his games (and some who did...) were also openly bashing him, but. Y'know.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yall not only ignoring how it's still the same thing but reincarnating differently but also how Ocarina of Time is one of, if not the most influential and beloved games of all time. The fact he's the main villain of such a game that to this day is adored and you can clearly tell he has staying power. Everyone's talking about Skull Kid and Majora's Mask forgetting the same principle, that mask is so iconic that you can see it everywhere. And OoT has more staying power than that

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think that's necessarily true for K. Rool though. A lot of people who haven't even played his games got interested in the potential of him as a Smash fighter. Or at the very least, they could spend 10 minutes watching his boss battles on YouTube and "get it." I know I got someone in another thread interested in the character just by linking his DKC2 boss battle. Definitely more interest in him than most RPG protagonists from nonfans, at least.

Of course, lots of people that hadn't played his games (and some who did...) were also openly bashing him, but. Y'know.
Eh, I remember I saw a lot of people claiming he looked generic and fought in generic ways even after showing the boss fights and talking about him.

It really depends on people's taste, ya know?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also for those of you thinking "Well Starman is just a generic enemy, why should he get in Smash?"

I have the perfect solution

Starman_Clay_Model.png

osby

Smash Obsessed

Not necessarily a good comparison but: On the other hand, "generic characters" like Shulk and Lucina had overall a bigger impact on Smash For casual community than, say, Greninja or Bowser Jr.

It depends on taste, but it's entirely possible for people to find any character interesting, regardless of how unique their design.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He still needs a character arc that makes him allies of the good guys.

And a spear.
Starmana Dee travels with Ness in the Sky Runner, fighting all along the way. Ness' friends never made it back from the battle with Giygas.

Starmana Dee and Ness end up in the place called "The underground", which is under a big mountain. It was sealed by humans in the long past so no monsters could escape.

Starmana Dee and Ness eventually die and are resurrected as skeletons and become like brothers

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
*sigh* It's sad that no one but me sticks up for my boi when he gets disrespected like that...
Probably because nobody else has the complete and utter obsession with him that you do.

Anyway, if there was a Monster Hunter newcomer, I can guarantee you Yoshi would bite it in their trailer. Either that, or he'd get captured and sent off to whatever base said hunter uses.

It'd be easy. Monster Hunter sees Yoshi, thinks he's some new kind of monster, starts slashin' away. If nothing else, he'd get knocked away like Dedede did in K. Rool's trailer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom