• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Real talk, tho, gen 1 has been "pandered to" so heavily the last few years because the kids who played gen 1 are all grown up and have kids themselves. That's the reason Let's Go is what it is.
That and with the sudden Pokémon Go craze.

They made Let’s Go specifically for those who only played Pokémon Go. Casuals.

The one next year in 2019 is when the “Gen 8” game comes out for more hardcore fans.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I love the Gen V games, but seriously I'm struggling to think of more than 3 potential playable candidates from them. The designs are so out there on a lot of them, and Gen V also has some of the most forgettable pokemon from the entire series. Anyone remember Elgyem, Maractus, and Heatmor?

Now Gen 3 on the other hand, has tons of viable options imo.
Well if that one leak is true we could get Gardevoir for a Gen 3 Rep and Gothitelle as a Gardevoir echo for a Gen V rep.

But obviously the correct answer for Gen V rep, leak aside, is Chandelure.

What's everyones opinion on people thinking that the 103 stages we have now are the only stages we're getting ?
Honestly I think 103 is it. It seemed almost definitive when he said it.

But I suppose there’s room for 6 more. Or there just some empty space

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Real talk, tho, gen 1 has been "pandered to" so heavily the last few years because the kids who played gen 1 are all grown up and have kids themselves. That's the reason Let's Go is what it is.
Not really sure why that's a negative to everyone though, to be honest...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Well if that one leak is true we could get Gardevoir for a Gen 3 Rep and Gothitelle as a Gardevoir echo for a Gen V rep.

But obviously the correct answer for Gen V rep, leak aside, is Chandelure.

Honestly I think 103 is it. It seemed almost definitive when he said it.

But I suppose there’s room for 6 more. Or there just some empty space
chandelure is so dope haha id be very down for that

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still don't have kids and I'm 10 years older than how old my father was when I was born

Although if I had kids at that age I wouldn't have been prepared. I was basically a kid still

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Gee, always love when the smash ultimate thread becomes a Pokémon discussion thread. :rolleyes:
Well, to be fair, most people are talking about Pokemon in relation to being represented in Smash Ultimate.

... not me though, I'm talking about how BLASTOISE FACE-TANKED A PUNCH FROM A FLYING 700 POUND DRAGON AND NO-SOLD IT LIKE IT WAS NOTHING.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think about Meta Ridley? We still haven't gotten a reason why his alt was excluded from the playable demos at all. It probably doesn't mean every character will get more alts, but I would be fine with everyone getting more.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I mean Gen 1 as games haven't aged the best, yes, we all know this

but the pokemon designs themselves remain still pretty solid and most of the best known Pokemon (I'd guess at least 50%) are from that Gen.

...Granted Pokemon as a design does have a lot of issues, but I don't think I'm going to find any people in this thread who also indulged in ShayMay's 7 hour exhaustive look at Pokemon: Omega Ruby, so, I'll save that for a different group at a different time.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I generally totally disregard any leak that doesn't try to provide something to back themselves up. Richter could have easily been a lucky guess. Now could I be wrong? Of course! Maybe the leak is real and he knew Richter was gonna be in and wasn't taking a stab in the dark. But for now I remain highly dismissive of these "leaks" which are hardly even leaks, but just he said she said.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, what do you guys think about Meta Ridley? We still haven't gotten a reason why his alt was excluded from the playable demos at all. It probably doesn't mean every character will get more alts, but I would be fine with everyone getting more.
It's probably just an alt that hasn't been put in any demos for some reason.
It'll be here for the full game.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it still needs tweaking

Enchess

Smash Lord
Gee, always love when the smash ultimate thread becomes a Pokémon discussion thread. :rolleyes:
Well, no one let's me turn it into a Fatal Frame discussion thread. :) But really, this thread feels a bit chaotic right now that it's been awhile since the Direct. Maybe Pokemon is the new Shadow echo.
Side note: I've seen a Fatal Frame rep on leaks starting all the way back before E3 and still see it pop up now. I haven't been saving the links cuz I'm dumb, but I think it's safe to say a FF rep has shown up on at least 10 leaks. Just putting this out there so just in case a Fatal Frame rep is announced and people say "nobody was leaking that" or "nobody would've guessed that" and everyone jumps behind a fake leak, I can quote this and be like "revisionism"

D

Deleted member

Most of the people arguing with you like Gen 1. I personally love it a lot. We just like the other gens too. The problem is those games are forever stuck being with Gen 1, which drastically reduces their chance of getting their best Pokemon in purely because they are newer and thus not nostalgic. I genuinely believe Gen V has quite a few of the best designed Pokemon, but they'll never get a chance to be in Smash because it's always gonna be sandwiched between the nostalgia of Gen 1 and the latest entry. I truly don't think it would matter how good a Pokemon was. Frankly, if Pikachu was a Gen V Pkmn, I doubt he'd get in because he wouldn't be "the original"
When we have Pokémon like Lucario who have definitely made their mark despite not being Gen 1, I find the whole "the Pokémon can't be nostalgic because it's not Gen 1" to be a flimsy excuse.

Especially since Gen 2 and 3 were much bigger parts of my childhood than Gen 1 outside the anime. :/
Hell, before Incineroar came around, I was pretty much "the Entei guy" for all of my Smashboards tenure.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I think all the demo characters only had 8 alts, including Little Mac. So maybe they just didn't include Meta Ridley to keep things nice and standardized? *shrugs*

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Thing is, most of the Pokémon I love from any generation are legendary/mythical, so 9 times out of 10 they’re too OP for something like Smash. Thus I’m doomed to have my favourites go un-added

Enchess

Smash Lord
Maybe the Meta Ridley echo theory is true. Honestly can't say I'd mind one bit having Metroid go from 2 to 5 characters in one game. Metroid is ridiculously influential.

See: 90% of indie games, most of the Castlevania series, and large segments of the speedrunning community

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The most likely explanation is that the alt simply isn't yet presentable at that scale, or at least wasn't during the time the demo was created. I would say some characters are going to get more alts, such as Mario and the aforementioned Ridley, but I wouldn't bank on everyone getting many.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we're really going to analyze every word that Sakurai says as direct confirmation that that is it then we need to take into consideration that Sakurai said "the stage total is turning out to be pretty impressive." And "now the total number of stages is 103."

I feel ridiculous saying that but I feel like we're taking everything too literally right now. I dunno, it totally could be the final number but I don't see what good they would do for themselves by locking themselves in a box with a specific stage number that would only allow for characters from already represented franchises to be revealed. Maybe I'm being biased because I want Isaac and Rayman and much more from unrepresented franchises but I think people are reading into this FAR too much.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
So if this so called "Spirit" mode truly is a story mode, what do you think the main thing is? Why the name Spirit? Is it referring to trophies? Are the trophies haunted all of a sudden?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Watch Meta-Ridley and Alph both be echoes that were teased in plain sight

Still salty about Alph just being an alt...

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
You know, we talk of Pokemon Gens not mattering to Sakurai, but I feel it's pretty clear here that most people do consider Gens to be important. I mean, how many people here just mentioned that certain Pokemon Gens are currently unrepped? Quite a few of us, and I'm betting it's an opinion shared with many Smash and Pokemon fans.
I'm not gonna bring up the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak again, but there is logic in assuming we might get a Gen 3 and 5 rep this time around. The ballot might have shown Sakurai that Pokemon Gens do matter to people.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If we're really going to analyze every word that Sakurai says as direct confirmation that that is it then we need to take into consideration that Sakurai said "the stage total is turning out to be pretty impressive." And "now the total number of stages is 103."

I feel ridiculous saying that but I feel like we're taking everything too literally right now. I dunno, it totally could be the final number but I don't see what good they would do for themselves by locking themselves in a box with a specific stage number that would only allow for characters from already represented franchises to be revealed. Maybe I'm being biased because I want Isaac and Rayman and much more from unrepresented franchises but I think people are reading into this FAR too much.
^ This also

the problem is it's honestly a toss-up. Like, I know we're reading into some hints and they were right, but if we have no more stages, that literally means we're getting no new franchises (unless we get 1-2 without a stage). I'm not saying that we're getting new stages; I'm just saying that until we get more information or an official confirmation, we're literally grasping at straws.

Or hell, at least a leak that says "More stages are coming"

also, for the record, I think we're absolutely done with returning stages.

Enchess

Smash Lord
So if this so called "Spirit" mode truly is a story mode, what do you think the main thing is? Why the name Spirit? Is it referring to trophies? Are the trophies haunted all of a sudden?
I think there's a very real possibility it's a codename and the word doesn't really indicate anything.

If it does mean something, I think the trailers we've had might really be cutscenes and it'll involve bringing characters back to life to unlock them. Probably through an adventure mode style thing where the stages are themed after the villains' series and you fight villains at end of each one

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
collect the spirits to bring the trophies back to "life" aka playable.

thatd be my guess but who knows, seems to be a heroes vs villians thing happening to some extent, and it seems boss battles are a big part of some aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This all just pure stabs in the dark on my part, but I personally think that the story of Spirits will involve the original 8 (at first) attempting to obtain the spirits of the rest of the cast by way of challenges, including boss fights such as Dracula and Rathalos. I think this for a few reasons. The first is how Sakurai was very tight-lipped on both the content of Spirits (unfortunately, the censor was insufficient) as well as how you would fight Dracula and Rathalos, which has lead me to believe the two may be connected in some way. I also think it will be how fighters are unlocked because of how a "new, interesting" method of unlocking fighters was mentioned on the June 12th reveal, and the word "recruiting" was specifically used.

D

Deleted member

The ballot would have definitely shown Sakurai that Pokemon Gens do matter to people.
Eh....don't count on it.
The most he'd see from the Ballot is that people follow bandwagons for the sake of "completion" (Sceptile) or people like to meme (Magnemite).

Last edited by a moderator:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
This all just pure stabs in the dark on my part, but I personally think that the story of Spirits will involve the original 8 (at first) attempting to obtain the spirits of the rest of the cast by way of challenges, including boss fights such as Dracula and Rathalos. I think this for a few reasons. The first is how Sakurai was very tight-lipped on both the content of Spirits (unfortunately, the censor was insufficient) as well as how you would fight Dracula and Rathalos, which has lead me to believe the two may be connected in some way. I also think it will be how fighters are unlocked because of how a "new, interesting" method of unlocking fighters was mentioned on the June 12th reveal, and the word "recruiting" was specifically used.
This seems very likely to me. It’ll be a story mode but very light on the story. Probably focused more on boss battles and stuff, maybe some platforming like Melee Adventure mode

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I can honest;y see all stages except Miiverse coming back. Maybe DLC or just not added yet.

Enchess

Smash Lord
What if it's actually not a revamped adventure mode or boss mode as people keep predicting, but a revamped Event Mode, with a lot more involved events like real bosses? That could actually be really interesting and extremely hype worthy for Event Mode fans.

Shroob

Sup?

"65 characters!"

Numbers can change from now until launch, this should have been obvious when the website updated after the direct, but people are taking Sakurai's word as the end all be all.

"But Sakurai wouldn't lie"

He's not lying either.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Blue is my favorite character but and he really doesn’t become all that cool until later games as he develops as a character as he gets older but I don’t get this whole “generic jerk” thing. He was arrogant and thought he was better than you (Red) despite losing every time but he really wasn’t much of a jerk. Gary from the show was a jerk, but Blue himself more often than not just spouted how good he was, or gave you small tips, and even complemented you when facing him. The biggest jerk move he’s done was telling his sister not to give you a map, which was at the beginning of the game.
Blue in the manga is also pretty cool. It's nice to see a fan of Blue, since most people dislike Gary so much and, well, associate the two as the same. Blue in the manga had a lot of interesting things about him. I liked how the portrayed him in Pokemon: Origins, as well.

That’s why I like a lot about Gen 2.

Looking back at it, the original games are so buggy, broken, and messy as a game that there a bajillion glitches and you can even beat the game with just a single starter Pokémon.

Gen 2 basically was a massive improvement over Gen 1 in terms of programming, design, music, and overall content as it allows you to go through two regions, that I’m surprised isn’t talked a lot about since it shows how Game Freak has grown in such a sort time when it comes to the series.
Bolded what I wanted to discuss. Why isn't this ever brought up about Gen 2? I was super hyped as a kid when I found out I could go back to the Kanto Region! We need more of this in the current games. Gen 8 needs to open up some past regions to explore.

Exhibit A as to why Blastoise is ****ing rad:
View attachment 157916
Exhibit B:
Nothing, if Blastoise isn't already your favorite pokemon, I dunno what to do.
Personally, I'm more of a Venusaur fan. But Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur are all pretty awesome.

As for Blastoise taking that punch in the face? Epic moment in Origins. I want a new anime with the Pokemon Origins style. Take us through the other gens with the other characters. Highlight the epic moments, just like with Origins. I think that would do so well...

Enchess

Smash Lord
"65 characters!"

Numbers can change from now until launch, this should have been obvious when the website updated after the direct, but people are taking Sakurai's word as the end all be all.

"But Sakurai wouldn't lie"

He's not lying either.
Thanks for doing most of the work on arguing this whenever it comes up haha. Stay strong.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I think there's a very real possibility it's a codename and the word doesn't really indicate anything.

If it does mean something, I think the trailers we've had might really be cutscenes and it'll involve bringing characters back to life to unlock them. Probably through an adventure mode style thing where the stages are themed after the villains' series and you fight villains at end of each one
Don't the trailers specifically say it isn't game footage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom