• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
"I'm going to try and catch up", I say.
*takes a nap*
"Hey guys, time for the next direct. My eyes might be yellow and purple, but I'm jaundiced now and I got beat up for it. Please understand"
"YEAAAH BOIS SKULL KID TIME"
Yeah, the Isaac thread has been on that one since yesterday. Dangerous to read too much into things, but it does make you think...

Also I liked this post in that thread
"Bros, hold up, what if, what if..
Isaac and Skull Kid both got revealed in the same trailer as a Sun vs Moon theme akin to heroes vs villains?"
Throw in a bear and a bird and you'd have my number one trailer of all time. :awesome:
I feel like Sakurai's gonna say "I moved Heaven and Earth to make this game the best it can be." at some point. (Yes, even in Japanese, even though they don't have that idiom).
With dark matter, you could have dark versions of the entire cast.
Dark Dark Samus? (Darker Samus?)
There is a trend in speculation this time that I am not a fan of.

After Smash 4 came and went with most speculation proving incorrect, there's now an intense fear of being wrong.

People laughed at the Dark Samus speculation. People made fun of it, made memes of it, photoshopped Charlie Kelly conspiracy boards out of it.

And then it was legit.

People gave up on expecting Ridley, to the point where people still think guessing Ridley would be the e3 reveal was impossible. Which is utterly ridiculous. And in the two months after, it felt like no one was willing to say they truly believed K. Rool would be in, too, despite that being painfully obvious to me.

When Sakurai tweeted about his "red eyes," anyone suggesting it could be a hint was, again, called a fool. But then K. Rool actually was announced.

Even when the official Nintendo YouTube channel leaked Bloody Tears, there were still people thinking it could be someone hacking their account and messing with us.

I see post after post of "hurr durr remember Ridley's shadow" to any suggestion they're leaving clues despite the fact that we've already seen they are. You do not need to believe every random sign people see. I don't really believe any of the current purple chair theories myself. But to not even entertain the idea that he's playing with us this time is more foolish than believing he was playing with us last time.
That Sakurai tweet feels so much like a Camelot reference, it's not even funny. I think people are just being obtuse right now by trying to claim it's a Monster Hunter or even a Final Fantasy reference.
I was looking through 4chan archives and I came across this. It's from early July and it's shockingly accurate to what we've seen for the most part. Only problem is that it doesn't mention Dark Samus and it says K Rool is an assist. It's probably just a coincidence but maybe it's possible the guy only saw K Rool for just a second? Probably not but I thought it was worth sharing.

Source: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423534828/#q423534828
I get the feeling they were either super lucky, or deliberately jumbled around some characters to either mess with people or make it look more fake so they don't get caught by Ninteninjas
Cloud was also always a possibility and even I was shocked by him, but there were some. A very select few who understood it was ****ing nuts of speculation to put him into the likes with Goku and Shrek.

Cloud is the perfect example of ''Just because something is unlikely" doesn't negate the possibility of it ever being real. ****. Ridley as well kind of shows this.
Cloud is "the character [you] wanted, but were afraid to ask for".
We probably can't, because there is no 'attach files' option

There is no 'attach files' option for me
The attach files option is the paper clip opposite "Post reply | Preview". If you don't see, it you'll have to go to Forum Support like I did.
Dude, this song is criminally underrated. I hardly ever see remixes of it online compared to the 100th gen 1 battle theme remix.
I remember actually falling asleep to this song, it was that good.
Check out the National Park remixes by "Insane in the Rain" if you like Jazz, he has like three or four of them.
As much as I hate to say it, the reality of "Oh, the Direct happened 5 days ago, and there's still over 110 left" has finally dawned on me.
Has it been five days already? Time sure flies.

Seriously, don't think about how long it's been or how long it's going to be and the game will be here before you know it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No no, let's still go back to Gen 5 and bring back Zoroark with us, shall we?

D

Deleted member

Or we could leave Gen 5 in the past where it belongs. It's my personal opinion that Gen 5 sucks if you like it that is totally cool!
No, we bring it to the present where it should be.
It's my personal opinion Gen 5 is the best and we should burn all the heretics who dsre say otherwise

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I think Gardevoir as a Mewtwo echo is a good idea and could work pretty well but only if you replace the tail hitboxes with some sort of fairy-like petals effect like what Gardevoir has in Pokken, along with the changes you mentioned. Using her "dress" for attacks would look weird. I don't know about the Mewtwo's legs thing you are saying but maybe it doesn't have to be a perfect match, we have Dark Samus floating around while Samus walks.

On the other hand I don't think Victini could work, and I think there's no point in adding Plusle and Minum. I mean, echoes are supposed to be somewhat popular characters that cannot get in otherwise, if they are going to throw in echoes just to have a mon of every generation, I'd rather have Emolga as a gen 5 Pikachu echo, much more fitting and popular in my opinion.
What I mean by the legs is that their skeleton in not the same at all, because of Mewtwo's huge feet its legs are basically made of three different large parts while Gardevoir's are made of two. There also are animations for Mewtwo where the heel touches the ground and other where it doesn't, meaning the animation changes for Gardevoir would largely have to be case by case which would mean a lot of work.

Dark Samus is not a good comparison because while much effort has been done in giving her different animations from Samus, the body shape, and the skeleton as a result, are basically the same. You could hack Samus to have Dark Samus' animations and it would at least not look like extremely weird and glitchy, unlike giving King K. Rool's animations to Bowser or something.

Can you tell me how you think Victini wouldn't work on Pikachu? Yeah Victini has a thinner body, but it still looks like it would adapt very well to Pikachu's skeleton and I don't think would have much impact on animations. It also has two tails instead of one, but for moves that use tails they could become folded in order to work like Pikachu's.

Emolga seems like a good fit when it comes to body shape, but I believe has already been deconfirmed as a stage element in Prism Tower. I also don't find Emolga to be a better choice than Victini which I consider popular and iconic enough to not feel like a sore thumb in the playable Pokémon roster in Smash.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No no, let's still go back to Gen 5 and bring back Zoroark with us, shall we?
They should have made Zoroark the gen 5 playable mon and Zeraora its echo. (Or Lucario's, or the other way around, gotta love their similar sounding names...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we had a Smash game around BW/BW2 happened then we would have gotten Zoroark but I fear it's too late now.
I do too but I'll always have that tiny bit of hope that Sakurai decided to look back and think of including some past Pokemon.
Hell, I wouldn't even mind her as an Echo. I... think she would work as a Lucario Echo at least, except Force Palm.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Or we could leave Gen 5 in the past where it belongs. It's my personal opinion that Gen 5 sucks if you like it that is totally cool!
No, we bring it to the present where it should be.
It's my personal opinion Gen 5 is the best and we should burn all the heretics who dsre say otherwise
This feels like a lot of the various arguments that happen here...

"I think this way, but it's alright if you don't"
"DIE HERETIC"

I'm mostly joking. It's actually kind of amusing.
Anyway, about the chairs..... :awesome:

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hey I just thought of this the other day. I know after seeing the Moon assist trophy, along with other hints, people have all jumped on the Skull Kid band wagon. But some people saw the Moon assist and instead take that as a deconfirmation because that would be his final smash. Well, that ignores the fact that Riki is both an assist and in Shulk's final smash.

Sorry if this was brought up and I missed it, but I really do think the moon is a better final smash than Majora incarnate or whatever, since that's not really Skull Kid's doing. Unless the character is called Majora, which would be cool.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
What I mean by the legs is that their skeleton in not the same at all, because of Mewtwo's huge feet its legs are basically made of three different large parts while Gardevoir's are made of two. There also are animations for Mewtwo where the heel touches the ground and other where it doesn't, meaning the animation changes for Gardevoir would largely have to be case by case which would mean a lot of work.

Dark Samus is not a good comparison because while much effort has been done in giving her different animations from Samus, the body shape, and the skeleton as a result, are basically the same. You could hack Samus to have Dark Samus' animations and it would at least not look like extremely weird and glitchy, unlike giving King K. Rool's animations to Bowser or something.

Can you tell me how you think Victini wouldn't work on Pikachu? Yeah Victini has a thinner body, but it still looks like it would adapt very well to Pikachu's skeleton and I don't think would have much impact on animations. It also has two tails instead of one, but for moves that use tails they could become folded in order to work like Pikachu's.

Emolga seems like a good fit when it comes to body shape, but I believe has already been deconfirmed as a stage element in Prism Tower. I also don't find Emolga to be a better choice than Victini which I consider popular and iconic enough to not feel like a sore thumb in the playable Pokémon roster in Smash.
I was referring to Plusle and Minum when I said that Emolga would be more popular and fitting. Victini is cool in terms of popularity, I'd take it over Emolga anytime, but only if done properly. I just think there are aspects of Pikachu's moveset like his Quick Attack and smash attacks that doesn't seem like something Victini would do, and you can hardly just give it fire effects and call it done.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
This feels like a lot of the various arguments that happen here...

"I think this way, but it's alright if you don't"
"DIE HERETIC"

I'm mostly joking. It's actually kind of amusing.
Anyway, about the chairs..... :awesome:
I think the chairs are supposed to represent the fact Smash Bros fans need to take a seat and chill out with crazy conspiracy theories :p

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think the chairs are supposed to represent the fact Smash Bros fans need to take a seat and chill out with crazy conspiracy theories :p
To be fair, I prefer people clue hunting over being nearly creepily obsessive over Loz and Verg haha

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey I just thought of this the other day. I know after seeing the Moon assist trophy, along with other hints, people have all jumped on the Skull Kid band wagon. But some people saw the Moon assist and instead take that as a deconfirmation because that would be his final smash. Well, that ignores the fact that Riki is both an assist and in Shulk's final smash.

Sorry if this was brought up and I missed it, but I really do think the moon is a better final smash than Majora incarnate or whatever, since that's not really Skull Kid's doing. Unless the character is called Majora, which would be cool.
If the Moon is used as a Final Smash then the Moon will have as many roles as there are Links in Smash. I should pick up MM one day...

D

Deleted member

There's still the alternative being a Majora takeover much like the final boss, even though I think the Moon falling would be a better choice

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I actually like how Sakurai makes Donkey Kong, Bowser, Diddy Kong, and Rool more animalistic. It makes them seem crazy and dangerous. Which is why Melee Bowser is my favorite Bowser still.
It would still feel more accurate if Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser had their Mario series voice clips though; if Takashi Nagasako is voicing Ganondorf again, then he should easily be permitted to voice Donkey Kong as well.

As for King K. Rool, since it has been over a decade since Toshihide Tsuchiya voiced him, I'm not too sure what his story is.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
If the Moon is used as a Final Smash then the Moon will have as many roles as there are Links in Smash. I should pick up MM one day...
Wait is the moon still on Termina Bay?! That is pretty crazy lol.

Also play the 3DS port, makes the game actually bearable. Good game, just much better on the 3DS.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair, I prefer people clue hunting over being nearly creepily obsessive over Loz and Verg haha
Things "People Clue Hunting" is better than:
"Loz18 is right!" "Verg is right!" "Both are right!" "Both are wrong!"​
"What's an Echo?" "Could Shadow be an Echo?" "Shadow can't be an Echo!!" "Shadow can be an Echo!!"​
"Isabelle could be Villager's Echo." "Isabelle can't be a fighter because she's a Pacifist!"​
"What's an Echo?" "Could Dixie be an Echo?" "Dixie can't be an Echo!!" "Dixie can be an Echo!!"​
"Give it up, guys. Ridley/K. Rool ain't getting in and that's final."​
"OCTOLINGS!"​
"MAN, THIS DROOOOOOOOUGHT!"​
"BIG! THE! CAT!!"

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
How many stages are you hoping for?
I'm personally interpreting that we have all of the returning stages revealed, but a few more new stages will be revealed (a gen 7 Pokemon stage, another third party stage, maybe a rhythm Heaven stage if we get a rep).

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why Mute City got reneamed to SNES of there isn't an original Mute City. But it could just be done for clarity.

Anyway...we are at like what 103 stages? I could see us getting 5-7 more, 110 max.

But daaaaaaaaad the 3DS version nerfed swimmiiiiiiing
*Never got far enough in the N64 version to get to the Zora scetion because I'm a deku scrub*

...wut?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Chairs have had extensive history with Nintendo. For 129 years, Nintendo employees have sat in them making cards, toys, arcade cabinets, video games and of course, love houses not a joke. Therefore, the next newcomer will be CHEAP LOBBY CHAIRS!!!

Sakurai is a genius!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom