• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Relax Alex said he knew real smash info, then just posted P. Then retweeted news articles pointing out that people were trying to figure it out, basically making fun of them.

It was a real **** move and I haven't supported him since. I don't care if he's a "memer" no need to be a **** to your own fan base, also just to get more attention so he can make money. Real ****ty.
I didn't know he had news stations as a fanbase. Embarrass

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I didn't know he had news stations as a fanbase. Embarrass
The articles we're reporting on his fans trying to figure out the tweet. Basically he was gloating about how he got his fans to obsess over a stupid nonsense tweet so much that gaming sites decided to report on it.

So yeah, he's an ass.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai said he had red eyes. He voices DDD, he was hinting on how he was disguising himself as K.Rool.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I'm guessing in accordance to the Japan leak, we will have to wait and see whether it is legit or not by September 24th?

I wonder if we will hear anything else from the other leakers?

Zeox

Smash Champion
You know what I would do if I was Sakurai?
First say to not expect a lot of newcomers
then in the directs, show only 1 newcomer and 1 echo and not much more, try to save the maximum characters possible, so no one would believe in any leak with too many characters (even if they were real).
Then, in the last direct, a week or two before the game is release, suddenly announce like 10 characters at the same time and tons of **** and make everyone lose their ****.
The reactions would be priceless.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wait.

That could be Tails holding up Sonic on the cover of that book.

The colors do kind of match up.

Either way....did I miss anything I'm seeing something about Japan Leak and another leak?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait.

That could be Tails holding up Sonic on the cover of that book.

The colors do kind of match up.
Anything can look like anything if it's far away and blurry enough.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The only way it says I can insert an image is by typing in a web address
Go to an image hosting site like imgur.com.

Assuming you use Imgur, click on "New Post" to upload your photos. Click "Browse" to add files from your computer. It'll upload the picture, and right click and select "Copy Image Location" to get the image url.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Japanese leak is the equivalent to some random text leak on 4chan. Can we not entertain it please?

All he posted was some image that anyone with cursory knowledge of a photo editing program could make in five minutes.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Which Legendary Pokemon were higher, out of curiosity?
Groudon, Kyogre, and Jirachi. We can assume their high placement was due to some people voted for them expecting the winner as a gift, so their actual popularity might be slightly lower.
And where was Gothitelle?
lmao wayyyyyyy down the list, around the 400s. I say this as a Gothitelle fan myself, if it gets in it's just for an easy Gen 5 rep.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Capture.PNG

So i don't know if this has been talked about before, but it looks like Voices has its own submenu in the sound menu. Maybe we can set and customize which voices the characters have. (please let me keep the Japanese Marth voice)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Looks like a sailboat to me. Sailboats are sometimes used to race on the waves. You can see where I'm going with this.
No, I don't. I don't think books are exactly hints either, at least ones that I can't see.

View attachment 157303
So i don't know if this has been talked about before, but it looks like Voices has its own submenu in the sound menu. Maybe we can set and customize which voices the characters have. (please let me keep the Japanese Marth voice)
Ah yes, the classic choices: English, Japanese, and Subbed Anime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 157303
I hope that's what it is, but it's most likely just the sound test. If we want better Marth, we're going to have to import a Japanese copy of the game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Anything can look like anything if it's far away and blurry enough.
I mean....

Sure.

I guess.

But I'd really really really like people to stop fearing being wrong in speculation as well.

It's not gonna hurt you if any of this really does amount to anything.

Just like it won't hurt me if it means nothing.

And I too am someone who just a few days ago thought there was absolutely nothing to those chairs and laughed at Waluigi fans thinking it was about them. I also kinda found the whole Ridley speculation last go round silly.

I'm just saying be willing to accept change in speculation, especially because Sakurai has changed views and stances even if you don't believe so and want to believe everything is clear cut the way it always is.

But do I need to remind you?

Ridley was too big and wouldn't feel like himself if they shrunk him down. He's now in.
Villager could never get in because he's much too pacifist. He's a playable fighter.
He had a reluctance on fighting game characters or considered them something that someone else might already do and tended to look over them in favor of others. Ryu happened.
Third party characters had to be uber icons and super special. That's changed about a million times over now considering Bayonetta, Shovel Knight assist trophy, etc.

His words and actions are not always the same as what he eventually does, because he like any one in the world is capable of changing his mind and the way he does things.

This could all be wrong but it's not really wrong to entertain the possibility it's not. At the end of the day it's all just speculation about a dumb fighting game.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There is a trend in speculation this time that I am not a fan of.

After Smash 4 came and went with most speculation proving incorrect, there's now an intense fear of being wrong.

People laughed at the Dark Samus speculation. People made fun of it, made memes of it, photoshopped Charlie Kelly conspiracy boards out of it.

And then it was legit.

People gave up on expecting Ridley, to the point where people still think guessing Ridley would be the e3 reveal was impossible. Which is utterly ridiculous. And in the two months after, it felt like no one was willing to say they truly believed K. Rool would be in, too, despite that being painfully obvious to me.

When Sakurai tweeted about his "red eyes," anyone suggesting it could be a hint was, again, called a fool. But then K. Rool actually was announced.

Even when the official Nintendo YouTube channel leaked Bloody Tears, there were still people thinking it could be someone hacking their account and messing with us.

I see post after post of "hurr durr remember Ridley's shadow" to any suggestion they're leaving clues despite the fact that we've already seen they are. You do not need to believe every random sign people see. I don't really believe any of the current purple chair theories myself. But to not even entertain the idea that he's playing with us this time is more foolish than believing he was playing with us last time.
I want to make it clear that this isn't exactly the mindset that I'm in.

I'd like to entertain some of these ideas myself, and in some cases (the Golden Sun reference theory has been making more and more sense; given Isaac has had a fair amount of support since Brawl; K. Rool and Ridley were in similar boats, albeit, having larger followings) I currently am. Didn't think much of the possible Golden Sun reference at first, but the more similarities I hear about it, the more likely it seems to be true. However, it feels to me like people really are looking too deeply into this one particular theory It would be far from the first time that's happened, and I don't think it's fair to say otherwise.

For the record, I had all but given up on Ridley's chances after a certain interview, and was quite happy to be proven wrong later. And I don't know where you were, but I had seen many people expressing their confidence in K. Rool's odds after Ridley's reveal. I was one of them myself. It just made perfect sense to me considering they were both some of the biggest requests for a long time now, and along with that the game is clearly trying to satisfy as much of the fanbase as possible. The K. Rool thread as a whole became a lot more confident for such reasons after E3. Never saw the red eye tweet, though.

I could care less about being wrong or right about a specific theory. You said it yourself that you don't believe in the chair theories. I hardly find it fair to blame anyone else for thinking the same. If it turns out we're wrong about it, hey, that's fine. I'll just be happy about Skill Kid and his fans. I'll admit, I'm at least a bit more willing to entertain this idea today than I was prior, but I really do think people are getting ahead of themselves on this one. There shouldn't be two sides that feel some need to beat each other, but this is still the kind of thing that, at the very least, needs to be looked at from multiple angles. I stand by what I said. Ridley's shadow is merely one example. The fanbase has analyzed things that have ultimately proven meaningless or had more than enough evidence against it to discredit it, and as a result people were more disappointed than may have been otherwise as a result of setting themselves up for it, or in some cases even caused an uproar. I've been there myself before. Waluigi's Assist Trophy status is another, much more recent example. He's already been confirmed to be one, yet people kept insisting that Sakurai was just trolling the fanbase about his "true" status as a fighter, or that a different-looking Waluigi could already be playable. Even if, somehow, they turned out to be right, are there currently any strong or logical reasons to think that idea could be correct?

I get that there's always gonna be pleasant unexpected surprises and heavy disappointment along the way no matter what, that's just how speculation goes. But if someone wants to help soften a potential blow, I wouldn't say they're exactly in the wrong for doing it. And while I am willing to entertain this particular theory more now......not everything is a hint, and, not everything can be a hint. There are and have been points where people jump the gun, and while I don't want to just shut down hope and suspicions people have, there's also been points where people have legitimately grasped at straws, or otherwise have very little evidence in favor of their arguments or theories, so that, at one time, at least, it was more than fair to believe it was unreasonable. That's ultimately the point I'm getting at. Not everything is a clue, not everything needs to be analyzed, and not every theory has strong evidence in it's favor, regardless of whether it's proven true or false later on. Even still, though, on the chance someone manages to be right about something I find seriously unorthodox, then good on them. I won't mind admitting I was wrong about it. I'd just like to see more people being a lot more cautious and aware when it comes to these matters.

I thought the red eyes thing was dumb, too. I'm still not actually completely sold on it being a real hint. But there's enough other breadcrumbs I think could be real that I'm entertaining the idea.

And that's what I want from people. To be more open-minded about this kind of stuff. It's not a fight, there's no winning or losing and you don't need to pick a side. It's a discussion, and one I think has enough merit to not brush off. And this is coming from someone who was very, very adamant that Sakurai was not teasing anything back in Smash 4.
With all that said, I do very much agree with this. There's no war to be won, here. It isn't about being right or wrong. All we're trying to do is figure out what to expect and what's likely or unlikely to happen in a video game we all love. I can agree that it's better we stay more open-minded in our speculation.

There's gonna be arguments and debates throughout many discussions, some heated, some unjustified, as always. But in the end, we're all united, not against each other.

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 157303
Could also be to set voices for the Miis? That was my first thought since there's 12 options. Though it would probably make more sense to do that in the actual creation area.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Groudon, Kyogre, and Jirachi. We can assume their high placement was due to some people voted for them expecting the winner as a gift, so their actual popularity might be slightly lower.

lmao wayyyyyyy down the list, around the 400s. I say this as a Gothitelle fan myself, if it gets in it's just for an easy Gen 5 rep.
Wow, 400s. I bet most people don't even know there's at least that many Pokemon.

Scary thought, Mew now has a 1 in 800 chance of showing up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly think leak or no leak, we're gonna know the full roster by October. I'm personally expecting a final Direct around mid-to-late October detailing however many fighters are left (gonna go with 5 on this one; 2 Newcomers and 3 Echoes) and a full-blown deep-dive into Online, Games & More, Vault, and whatever the heck Spirits is.

To be honest though, I have NO idea who I'm guessing for newcomers. I mean, thinking of Echoes is pretty easy, but for newcomers...dang, I just can't think of anything, lol. The only guess I'm willing to make right now is Geno. :p

I'm also one of those people that think Pokemon getting a new rep isn't 100% guaranteed. Could it happen? Yeah, but I'm at a point where I'm personally not expecting it for a multitude of reasons. And if one does get in, I have a feeling it's gonna be a reaaaally out there choice that none of us expect. Like, Pichu level left field, and quite possible not from Gen 7.

Pakky

Smash Hero
View attachment 157303
The UI cleanness is too damn high.

Makes Smash 4's menus look like the work of a drunken pirate. Was the Wii U version just a test demo (A really expensive one?)

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Japanese leak is the equivalent to some random text leak on 4chan. Can we not entertain it please?

All he posted was some image that anyone with cursory knowledge of a photo editing program could make in five minutes.
I'd still like to see this image.

Anyone have it?

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Too much speculation here and there. Can't even follow properly.
But there's one thing I'd like to mention...

Can we all take the time to appreciate that Sakurai showed us, even if only for a little while, the main menu, so that there won't be 4 more months of fake menu leaks like it happened with Smash 4?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Can we all take the time to appreciate that Sakurai showed us, even if only for a little while, the main menu, so that there won't be 4 more months of fake menu leaks like it happened with Smash 4?
The thing I dont get tho is that it feels like the css is being redone... but theyre still using the same stage select screen? I dunno, seems... wierd

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I could make this myself in MS Paint in 12 seconds.

And I'm someone who is mostly poop at graphics.

Poop I tell ya.
I expect an edit of this in 12 seconds, the timer starts now

EDIT: Didn't deliver, can't be done, it's real, confirmed

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could make this myself in MS Paint in 12 seconds.

And I'm someone who is mostly poop at graphics.

Poop I tell ya.
Also worth noting is that every Japanese Direct structures their dates as YYYY.MM.DD, not this way. This is the European way.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Speculation is fun :).

Skull Kid, Dixie, Shadow, and Geno will all be in quote me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The menu looks so clean this go around! I will admit that while I never disliked Smash Wii U's menu, I wasn't super into it either. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of the stuff in Smash Wii U, ha ha. Ultimate is a 100% improvement in pretty much every possible way for me. If this is the final (ha) Smash game for the foreseeable future, I'm fine with it. This game is quite possibly gonna become one of my most favorite games of all time if it even ends up half as good as I'm expecting it to be.

Especially if Octoling and Isabelle make it in. If one of them, or better yet, both happen, I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom