• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I feel things like this are more of a reach than thinking they were clues about K Rool.
Nintendo’s largest presence at E3 every year is the Nintendo Treehouse, though.

How is “They added a reference to their live event to their set” reaching further than “the director of the game is arranging bizarre furniture to secretly reveal future newcomers to hungry internet sleuths”?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I've put some more thought into the 'Smashdown' mode possibly making it so that the complete roster has to be divisible by twelve, seeing as twelve is divisible by two, three, and four; The number of players that can play Smashdown. It makes sense, but would imply that the mode is only unlocked upon completing the roster. Otherwise, things wouldn't be able to add up. So, assuming that this is something to go by, taking Miis out of the equation, and counting Pokemon Trainer as one character, that leaves us with 68 characters now, leaving room for four more.

I'm predicting the next Smash Direct to be in October, with that Direct showing the last four newcomers as well as that 'Spirits' mode. As for the newcomers themselves, I'm predicting Shadow, Isabelle, Skull Kid, and an Gen VII Pokemon. Isabelle could end up as a unique character or as a Villager clone, whereas the Gen VII Pokemon is a toss-up between Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Incineroar.

Maybe I'm low-balling it, seeing as I thought we'd see one newcomer and a clone this past direct, and we got two newcomers and three clones. But figure its best to aim a bit low, rather than high.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've put some more thought into the 'Smashdown' mode possibly making it so that the complete roster has to be divisible by twelve, seeing as twelve is divisible by two, three, and four; The number of players that can play Smashdown. It makes sense, but would imply that the mode is only unlocked upon completing the roster. Otherwise, things wouldn't be able to add up. So, assuming that this is something to go by, taking Miis out of the equation, and counting Pokemon Trainer as one character, that leaves us with 68 characters now, leaving room for four more.

I'm predicting the next Smash Direct to be in October, with that Direct showing the last four newcomers as well as that 'Spirits' mode. As for the newcomers themselves, I'm predicting Shadow, Isabelle, Skull Kid, and an Gen VII Pokemon. Isabelle could end up as a unique character or as a Villager clone, whereas the Gen VII Pokemon is a toss-up between Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Incineroar.

Maybe I'm low-balling it, seeing as I thought we'd see one newcomer and a clone this past direct, and we got two newcomers and three clones. But figure its best to aim a bit low, rather than high.
Does not have to be. Doubt dlc will be released in 12s.

More than likely smashdown ends when number of characters is less than number of players.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of when we get more info, I just want the Pokemon debate to end. Feels like no one knows what to believe anymore.

Will Decidueye or Lycanroc be in Smash?
Is Verge right about Incineroar?
Are we even getting a Pokemon newcomer?
Is freaking Gothitelle a real newcomer?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo’s largest presence at E3 every year is the Nintendo Treehouse, though.

How is “They added a reference to their live event to their set” reaching further than “the director of the game is arranging bizarre furniture to secretly reveal future newcomers to hungry internet sleuths”?
Because there's no point for him to reference the Treehouse.

That's why.

Like none.

Why is it so hard for some of you to believe that game developers tease and toy with fans?

Like have you ever fighting gamed before? Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. They've all done teases like this before.

I'm not saying it's certain, but it makes more sense than ''Lol. We're gonna but this back here to reference the Treehouse."

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash rosters end in whimpers, lol. Every time.

Not that the final characters are bad or anything, but they usually pale in comparison, demand and/or recognition-wise, to those shown earlier on.

Brawl started with :ultwario::ultmetaknight::ultsnake:, had :ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultsonic: in the middle, and ended on :ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf: (granted Lucario was pretty popular, though he leaked beforehand)

4 started with :ultvillager::ultmegaman:, had :ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultpacman:in the middle, ended on :ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultdarkpit:

DLC started with :ultmewtwo:, had :ultryu::ultcloud: in the middle, ended with :ultbayonetta::ultcorrin:.

Actually looking back on this, is does seem like one relatively but not exceptionally popular pick hangs on til the end. Though in comparison to the ones that come before, it's still a step down for sure. Not exactly ending with a bang.
I wouldn't mind if we end with someone completely random like Star Man or Stanley.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I can't believe people are discussing the furniture in the background as possible teases...or honestly can I? Typical smash speculation. Well two quick things.

1. I've said it before and I said it again, Sakurai is a jokester but only in the short game. ZSS, the joke at the beginning of E3, the king k Rool trailer, all of it was gone and over in seconds. He has no history of teasing anything cryptic or providing hints over long periods of time, this is something the smash community has attributed to him. (The most he did was Ridley, but that was an attempt to cushion the blow and it backfired.)

2. I just wanna point out that I saw a few people asking why Sakurai would decorate his room that way, and having made a handful of corporate videos I know that those probably aren't his office, or it isn't likely. The two rooms are very different, and you will often just film in any open room with good sound, etc. So I doubt he purposely decorated his room to tease Waluigi/Skull Kid/Isabelle whatever you crazies are saying.

And honestly if they reveal Spring Man next, someone will still find a way to connect the background to him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon echo trainer:
• Charizard: Decidueye
• Ivysaur: Torracat
• Squirtle: Popplio

I dunno I think it would be pretty cool to see another character like Pokemon trainer

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't believe people are discussing the furniture in the background as possible teases...or honestly can I? Typical smash speculation. Well two quick things.

1. I've said it before and I said it again, Sakurai is a jokester but only in the short game. ZSS, the joke at the beginning of E3, the king k Rool trailer, all of it was gone and over in seconds. He has no history of teasing anything cryptic or providing hints over long periods of time, this is something the smash community has attributed to him. (The most he did was Ridley, but that was an attempt to cushion the blow and it backfired.)

2. I just wanna point out that I saw a few people asking why Sakurai would decorate his room that way, and having made a handful of corporate videos I know that those probably aren't his office, or it isn't likely. The two rooms are very different, and you will often just film in any open room with good sound, etc. So I doubt he purposely decorated his room to tease Waluigi/Skull Kid/Isabelle whatever you crazies are saying.

And honestly if they reveal Spring Man next, someone will still find a way to connect the background to him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Still beats trying to guess what Pokemon from which specific generation will be in here, if any.

It is possible that it's just completely innocuous and something most people won't pay much mind to, yet still be something that becomes significant in retrospect instead. But what do we know, there's no concrete way of knowing what's next without mining a bunch of "me too!" leaks.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I forgot ya'll tend to subscribe to ''Sakurai remains static in his ways and words" and there's no room for change or difference.

Nevermind the fact time and time again he shows that you know he isn't exactly those values.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I forgot ya'll tend to subscribe to ''Sakurai remains static in his ways and words" and there's no room for change or difference.

Nevermind the fact time and time again he shows that you know he isn't exactly those values.
For this hinting theory, what at e3 hinted to simon or k rool? That is what people should be doing. If there are hints, i will buy the chair nonsense.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For this hinting theory, what at e3 hinted to simon or k rool? That is what people should be doing. If there are hints, i will buy the chair nonsense.
The rope ladder and barrel were potential hints. They're odd decor and not common whether you like it or not. I think it's reaching to say that Nintendo just randomly has tree ladder and barrel in a room for decoration. What did he specifically go into the random office that just happened to have those?

As for Simon? There was nothing in the E3 that hinted at him.

I don't know. I'm just exhausted of the subject, because it's exhausting trying to make ya'll see that the world isn't black and white and there IS the possibility.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The rope ladder and barrel were potential hints. They're odd decor and not common whether you like it or not. I think it's reaching to say that Nintendo just randomly has tree ladder and barrel in a room for decoration. What did he specifically go into the random office that just happened to have those?

I don't know. I'm just exhausted of the subject, because it's exhausting trying to make ya'll see that the world isn't black and white and there IS the possibility.
Where wss this rope swing?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I don't think anyone is ignoring the possibility. It's just that we don't quite see it the way you do.

Maybe the furniture really was a hint and I'm wrong. Personally though, I'm not seeing anything that would make me say, "Yep, that was absolutely intentional." Looks more like a distinct taste in decorating than an actual hint if you ask me.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's no shortage of franchises that were popular in their heyday but never got Smash representation before they fizzled out. Advance Wars was another. I wouldn't mind seeing all these Brawl-era IPs get in Smash Ultimate as playable honestly, new franchises are always great and bring a lot with them. I don't know how well that gels with the 103 stage total, though. Andy having to share the Coliseum would be awkward.
I actually figured Andy would have Wrecking Crew as his home stage if he were in the game and didn't have a stage from Advance Wars.

Figured it would work well with the city vibe that's very Advance Wars-esque.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's a weird distinct taste in furniture.

Twice in a row.

I don't know I guess I'm just gonna sit here and be quiet.

I don't tend to latch onto things that don't seem logical, and to me there's a potential pattern here and it seems logical.

Just like when I called Bayonetta before the ballot and DLC was even a thing.

Or when ya'll thought I was being illogical saying Dark Pit was in the roster because of the tease at the end of Palutena's trailer.

I'm not a moron who typically latches onto things that don't seem plausible.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
What stage is this one? I'm not even sure if both images are from the same stage, but they look like they could:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Hey guys, time for the next direct. My eyes might be yellow and purple, but I'm jaundiced now and I got beat up for it. Please understand"
"YEAAAH BOIS SKULL KID TIME"

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My final bit on the matter and just like vaanrose vaanrose said before me.

Sakurai is clearly watching us. He knows we've been talking about Chrom and Dark Samus since E3.

He has never before made any comments that seem to hint at deliberately watching his audience during a speculation period before this.

I think the nature of this game, the fan service of it all, etc, is why we're dealing with a much different Sakurai who is potentially willing to tease and hint in such odd manners.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Like, Chrom and Dark Samus were basically the "Wait, why are their alt colors missing? What does it mean?"

About the E3 demo, and then Sakurai says "You may have seen this coming"

He's intentionally leaving hints for us this time instead of people proclaiming that "RIDLEY'S IN THE CLOUDS"
Or you know...... they're were requested characters for Smash (which they were) and the fact echoes was a thing. It wasn't exactly hard to put this together. Chrom even said "Imma get my chance another day" in Smash4 Lucina Trailer". I think people are overreaching about Sakurai hints. His hints are brief and happens right before something is announced such as his red eyes comments. This is also the first time where I even noticed he hinted at something anyway. Fans hinting at something or assuming something such as he knew about speculation at E3 is entirely different from the developer himself hinting. Sakurai is incredibly busy; I doubt he has time looking at discussion especially when he said he worries about releasing the game on time.

I also find it hit hilarious that when someone brings up this particular character, people then ignore the character and mentions other characters that people have not even been requesting for. The whataboutism is grossly overdone.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My final bit on the matter and just like vaanrose vaanrose said before me.

Sakurai is clearly watching us. He knows we've been talking about Chrom and Dark Samus since E3.

He has never before made any comments that seem to hint at deliberately watching his audience during a speculation period before this.

I think the nature of this game, the fan service of it all, etc, is why we're dealing with a much different Sakurai who is potentially willing to tease and hint in such odd manners.
Wont doubt there is a wing dedicated to watching japanese fans. Maybe a smaller team for the west.

Hopefully this will translate to bandanna dee.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Does not have to be. Doubt dlc will be released in 12s.

More than likely smashdown ends when number of characters is less than number of players.
True, but it's still something to go by when we don't have too much in the first place.

Regardless of when we get more info, I just want the Pokemon debate to end. Feels like no one knows what to believe anymore.

So, Vergeben got Mimikyu not being the Pokemon newcomer correct, but I'm not putting too much into that, as I never saw Mimikyu as playable in the first place. Decidueye and Lycanroc are still on the table, as well as Incineroar, as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose it's possible we could not see a Gen VII Pokemon newcomer, but I highly doubt it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Almost 3000 pages...oof...also I guess there’s Sakurai hint talk

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

Sharing again. This is NOT normal room attire. I don't know why anyone thinks it is.
Maybe it's just a cultural thing, but that's pretty normal room attire. I mean not frequent to see that item in particular hung, but people will hang just about anything in a room if it fits the aesthetic of the room, which that rope ladder and barrel very much do. The barrel does not even remotely resemble the DK aesthetic. Suggesting these are hints is a massive stretch.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sakurai talks about how lunch was delicious today, he enjoy his short break, along with his spicy chicken sandwich, and pineapple juice.

OMG! BILLY HATCHER, AND BLAZIKEN FOR SMASH ALONG WITH HOENN STAGES!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe it's just a cultural thing, but that's pretty normal room attire. I mean not frequent to see that item in particular hung, but people will hang just about anything in a room if it fits the aesthetic of the room, which that rope ladder and barrel very much do. The barrel does not even remotely resemble the DK aesthetic. Suggesting these are hints is a massive stretch.
If you say so.

That's legit ALL I'm gonna say.

But it's laughable to me people really think people just randomly hang rope ladders and decorate with dingy looking barrels in an otherwise normal looking office room. Even in Japan. A culture that really likes cleanliness.

But if you say so. It's totally normal room decor. Totally normal.

Totally.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This is actually why I kinda prefer the daily new content of Smash 4 rather than the info dumps we've been getting for this game. The only headway we've gotten when it comes to Pokemon is Mimikyu's deconfirmation, and the only thing we can do is twiddle our thumbs and yell at each other over ghost owls, giant wrestling hats, and wolves that control rocks.

What stage is this one? I'm not even sure if both images are from the same stage, but they look like they could:

I believe the top is Princess Peach's Castle, while the bottom looks to be the bottom of Gaur Plains to me.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we really wanna stretch out the ladder and oil drum as legit foreshadowing, we gotta do it right.

The way I see it, both were meant to be separate clues that lead to a bigger hint.

The rope ladder could’ve implied someone related to ships and/or pirates in some way, which would’ve meant either K. Rool, Tetra, Captain Syrup, etc. The ladder alone isn’t clear enough to give a clear conclusion, which is where the oil drum comes in.

While the oil drum itself doesn’t fit the DKC aesthetic, it’s still an oil drum, something we could see in the original Donkey Kong, meaning the oil drum must have been a hint to a DK newcomer because why would we get someone from Wrecking Crew?

So, related to ships/pirates + DK character = ?

I think that, if the background decors are always meant to be hints, they’re essentially two separate clues forming a bigger whole.

Or maybe it’s just an amazing coincidence that we’re thinking too hard about... Who knows at this point?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It could all mean something. It could all mean nothing.
Speculation period is just speculation.

Do we even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom