• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This happens every time we get a newcomer. People get excited, they go back and look for "clues", and rationalize something that may or may not be an actual hint. The missing Samus and Ike alts were a cue, I'll give you that, but the rope and barrel could just be legitimate decorations for the room. It's not that uncommon for people to go for an industrial style and decorate with pieces of furniture that have wood, rope, and metal.

Besides, the barrel doesn't look remotely close to the iconic wooden DK barrels, and ladders haven't been an important part of the franchise since the arcade game.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't buy into this furniture stuff.

But I must admit, That barrel is really random. Like extremely random. The ladder I could just believe is a cultural thing or something. But that barrel is just odd

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a crazy theory.

I think we may get the first DLC character for Smash Bros announced in September. Hear me out:

As part of the deal sweetener on paying for online play, more Switch game that use it are given "free" content to people who own them and have a Switch online account. So I'm thinking for Smash Ultimate, they announce that sometime after launch that everyone who has a working account and Smash Switch will get a free Echo fighter, the Octolings.

They're echos so it doesn't effect the game much and once you have them, you have them forever so you don't need to pay ransom for them.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
To be fair in this case? What kind of room randomly has a barrel and a rope ladder in it?

Why purple and yellow chairs in the office when you can get more neutral colors that won't draw the eyes off Sakurai?

You can't deny it's at least a BIT suspicious.
Obviously the chairs are hinting that:4wario2: will be an Echo of :4wario:.
Think about it, the yellow shirt, purple overalls? They mesh well perfectly and you cannot convince me otherwise!
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Okay, but why?

Sakurai has literally given you the majority of every single major fan want over the years at that point.

Why get mad over him having a little silly fun with Goku?
Because to some adding Goku would be opening a huge can of worms to other anime/manga characters. Requests for characters like Midoriya or Luffy instead of actual Nintendo characters are what people fear the most in the future.

Me personally I'd be fine with Goku and think he'd be lit. Dragonball was part of my childhood and Me and my sister are big fans.

The way I saw it, each of those characters DID get a new character... or at least, another roster slot. Lucina, Sheik (on her own), Palutena/Dark Pit and Zero Suit Samus (on her own).
I still think people were reaching with that one.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Most wanted echoes:

Shadow for Sonic
Isabelle for Villager
Dixie Kong for Diddy Kong
The Boss for Snake
Pico or Deathborn for Captain Falcon
Black Knight for Ike
Impa for Sheik
Medusa for Palutena

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This happens every time we get a newcomer. People get excited, they go back and look for "clues", and rationalize something that may or may not be an actual hint. The missing Samus and Ike alts were a cue, I'll give you that, but the rope and barrel could just be legitimate decorations for the room. It's not that uncommon for people to go for an industrial style and decorate with pieces of furniture that have wood, rope, and metal.

Besides, the barrel doesn't look remotely close to the iconic wooden DK barrels, and ladders haven't been an important part of the franchise since the arcade game.
To be fair, I'm sure people who are buying into it aren't thinking that they translate literally into the games they're "supposed to represent".
It's not like Majora's Mask has a couch and tacky chairs like that anywhere in it.

But as far as I care nothing's proven until announced.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I feel like people are seeing what they want to see in both of these sets. It's basically an inkblot test mixed with confirmation bias.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Come on dude, this is not Animal Crossing, he's a professional working man and his gonna place a random tnt-esque barrel and a rope ladder in his overall nice looking office? Not buying it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now I want the next Smash Direct to take place on another angle of that desk and show a butt ton of Dragon Ball Paraphernalia. Just for the salt.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I have a crazy theory.

I think we may get the first DLC character for Smash Bros announced in September. Hear me out:

As part of the deal sweetener on paying for online play, more Switch game that use it are given "free" content to people who own them and have a Switch online account. So I'm thinking for Smash Ultimate, they announce that sometime after launch that everyone who has a working account and Smash Switch will get a free Echo fighter, the Octolings.

They're echos so it doesn't effect the game much and once you have them, you have them forever so you don't need to pay ransom for them.
You know what game people like to use the online feature for?
Animal Crossing.

You know what they could announce along with the paid service in a direct in September?
Animal Crossing.

You know who could be a surprise tie-in announcement?
Mr. Resetti

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Here is my theory on the chairs. The colors themselves are just a red herring. Their presence, along with the equally out-of-place green couch, is some random furniture in the room. This, I think, hints at Isabelle since Animal Crossing has a lot to do with collecting furniture and decorating your room. Having so much furniture (you could even include the houseplant) strewn in plain sight of the camera, I feel, is a hint towards Isabelle.

Or I'm completely bonkers

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Come on dude, this is not Animal Crossing, he's a professional working man and his gonna place a random tnt-esque barrel and a rope ladder in his overall nice looking office? Not buying it.
Who said a rope ladder was unprofessional? I've seen plenty of businesses take weird objects like that and make a room look interesting yet professional.

Seriously, not every business has to go with the stereotypical office look where the potted plants are the most interesting thing in the room.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Now I want the next Smash Direct to take place on another angle of that desk and show a butt ton of Dragon Ball Paraphernalia. Just for the salt.
Only if it's after/before a Skull Kid reveal and people are forced to open their eyes to "out there" possibilities. Like it's not even like it's that far fetched a game developer would tease his audience.

****. He. Just. Did. It. In. K. Rool's. Trailer.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
just thought id make a list of some possible echo fighters I could think of, im sure most of you have thought about this stuff though.
Nintendo Echoes:

01 MARIO: Fire Mario/Paper Mario/64 Mario

02 DONKEY KONG: Funky Kong

05 YOSHI: Birdo

08 PIKACHU: Raichu

10/ 37 NESS/ LUCAS: Ninten

11 CAPTAIN FALCON: Blood Falcon/ Black Shadow

12 JIGGLYPUFF: igglybuff?

14 BOWSER: Dry Bowser

15 ICE CLIMBER: Mario & luigi? i think this could be cool, like there games where they work together

17 ZELDA: Hilda

24 MEWTWO: Mew?

31 SNAKE: Old Snake/ Raiden

32 IKE : Black knight

33-35 PKMN TRAINER: some other pokemon trainer of sorts
not sure how much of an echo it would be but:
Charizard/Ivysaur: Decidueye
Ivysaur/Charizard: Torracat
Squirtle: Popplio

36 DIDDY KONG: Dixie Kong

38 SONIC: Shadow/ Tails

40 OLIMAR: Louie

41 LUCARIO: Zoroak

45 VILLAGER: Isabelle

46 MEGAMAN: Megaman X

49 LITTLE MAC: some other character from punch out

54 PALUTENA: Medusa/ Viridi

56 ROBIN: Cecila

60 RYU: Ken

61 CLOUD: Sephiroth

63 BAYONETTA: Jeane

64 INKLING: Octoling

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
just thought id make a list of some possible echo fighters I could think of, im sure most of you have thought about this stuff though.
Nintendo Echoes:

15 ICE CLIMBER: Mario & luigi? i think this could be cool, like there games where they work together

"YOSHI: Birdo"

Oh, you'll learn soon enough...:yoshi:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Fans: Sakurai couldn't possibly tease and joke around! He'd never do that!
Sakurai: -Has Dedede literally fake out K Rool moments before revealing him because he knows how much fans want him.-

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How likely do you guys think we will get a Nintendo Direct next month?
Given the online goes live, highly. One that has anything Smash related, not unless it's like I said up there with the OCtolings

Only if it's after/before a Skull Kid reveal and people are forced to open their eyes to "out there" possibilities. Like it's not even like it's that far fetched a game developer would tease his audience.

****. He. Just. Did. It. In. K. Rool's. Trailer.
Exactly, I'm thinking like a double tease. When we start seeing patterns, shift things up.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I actually would believe that over clashing yellow and purple desk chairs.

But anyway, yeah, it's not too awfully shocking that he'd tease something like that. But I'd wait until Skull Kid gets / doesn't get revealed before anyone goes nuts over interior design theory :p

Zeox

Smash Champion
I like how K. Rools design is like a mix between his old and new design, he have his golden chest and all, but the made the tail much more short than how it was in the original game....
Just like the Mii's costume

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
tbh I'm already cool with the current roster, they gave me Ridley, I'd accept it if all we got here on out was Sans, Shrek and Faye
I'm content with Ultimate's roster too. While I'm sad Takamaru and Ashley didn't make it in as playable fighters they more than made up for it with by bringing back Wolf and Snake and including Inkling, Ridley and K. Rool. If I get Rex & Pyra and Spring Man/Twintelle then I'm set. Even if I don't get them via DLC I'll still be fine because there is just so much for me to look forward to not only the roster but the modes, mechanics and general QoL changes to the game.

Like, turning stage hazards off is a blessing and widens the pool of what stages could be legal so much. From the 5-8 legal stages in Smash 4 to the potential 20 or 30 in Ultimate honestly makes me more excited than some of the potential new fighters.

Staarih

Smash Master
Nintendo Echoes:

Paper Mario as an Echo for Mario is something I will never understand. Same character, sure, but very different properties.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Animal Crossing Online is one of my major wants for that series.

If a September direct reveals an MMO version of AC?

I. Will. Flip. Ten. Buildings. In. Joy.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I like how K. Rools design is like a mix between his old and new design, he have his golden chest and all, but the made the tail much more short than how it was in the original game....
Just like the Mii's costume
How many times have some of us been saying this? The Mii Kostume was a precursor for what was to come! New assets, Rare design elements via prominent scales, chest armour and bulging eyes.

But nah, they just wanted to make a good costume and nothing else.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How many times have some of us been saying this? The Mii Kostume was a precursor for what was to come! New assets, Rare design elements via prominent scales, chest armour and bulging eyes.

But nah, they just wanted to make a good costume and nothing else.
It can go both ways given what happened to Ashley.

Still, lets hope for Geno.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'm about 50/50 on it. I could see it be done but I could also see us not getting one until at least October, closer to release. But if we somehow manage to get a Smash direct every month up until reveal, I will be extremely ecstatic.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I have a crazy theory.

I don't think Sakurai would do that, he's been pretty clear on DLC being an afterthought, I don't think he'd intentionally withhold content

It can go both ways given what happened to Ashley.

Still, lets hope for Geno.
To be fair ashley had the existing assist trophy model to use

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm kinda in a mindset that they need to have one in the beginning of September, if they plan to launch Nintendo Online later in the month. If they intend for it to be worth the purchase, I feel like they need to give us a blowout as to what it really contains.
Whether Smash would or would not be included, I dunno. Smash is definitely going to be a big seller for the online subscription though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If they could have a direct on September 14, that would be nice. Because it's my birthday. It would probably have to be at 11PM Japan Time again because it's a Friday.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the eclectic arrangement of furniture could be an animal crossing reference n and of itself but we have no way of knowing until the next reveal.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Reveal Predictions:

September: Skull Kid, Heihachi
October: Elma, Isabelle, Ninten, Nihilego
November: Chorus Kids, Galatica Knight, Shadow, Geno
December/Post Release: Ayumi Tachibana, Shantae

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom