• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To move away from this discussion...

What would your reaction be if we got five more unique newcomers?

And these newcomers were...

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
Sad because no new Pokemon. Seriously I know this is an unpopular opinion but I always look forward to the new Pokemon in Smash Bros more so than other big characters. These characters are cool though, and we're probably getting a Gen 8 Pokemon for DLC so i guess i'll be fine.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How about they don’t cost at all? No way people are wasting their money on easy developed clones.

If they pad the roster out, then it makes perfect sense to be free downloads.
I mean, people spend their money on Mii costumes and no doubt they'd pay for additional alternate costumes that don't effect the gameplay at all so...
I think so long as the echo's are relatively cheap (or bundled) they'd probably sell okay.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
I'd love SK.
I like Elma's design and combat, but her story? Less said, the better. Good thing Smash isn't a story-heavy game!
Never cared for bandana Dee or Geno, but I know there are a lot of fans of them.
Isaac would vindicate a decade and a half of character pushing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I'm the only Kirby fan that doesn't like Bandana Dee

It might just be because I wasn't able to get the games he's had a major role in.

Even if I did though, I don't think I'd like him more than, Marx for example

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
I'm perfectly fine with all of those characters. On one end, I'd be a little bummed about the lack of Dixie Kong and Impa, but on the other end, these are all great choices, and it could be much worse, lol.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I just don't see it, most people I know or read just think Golden Sun is a very niche GBA RPG and everyone I see talking about it doesn't feel like it's anything but that.

Hey, I'm not saying Golden Sun is not popular. If Isaac ever gets a spot in Smash, it'll be well deserved. I'm just saying Super Mario RPG (and by extent, Geno) is way more, and that has been shown to us from time to time. I also don't buy that "Isaac didn't have an easy asset so he didn't get a costume" because there's his Brawl Assist Trophy that could be worked on from that.
I just think you're underestimating how much the people that did play Golden Sun loved it and are still hungry for more. Trust me, it's not just Smash forums where it comes up.

And as popular as Mario RPG is (I admit more than Golden Sun) it's not fair to do a straight game popularity comparison without accounting for either the age of the games or much more importantly the relevance of the respective characters within the games. Most players will play Mario RPG for hours before meeting Geno. Every person who has touched Golden Sun has played as Isaac.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
Elma and Bandana Dee are among my most wanted, I liked Majora's Mask but I don't particularly care for Isaac or Geno. But considering I've got Snake, Elma, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool AND Bandana Dee I would love that roster, 10/10.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Elma- Ehh...don’t really want a new Xenoblade character so soon but whatever.
You have no idea how fast Xenoblade is becoming of a big hitter series. I'd say it could easily get a second, maybe even one rep for each game in the series so far if you wanted to show it that much.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is Isaac support even as strong as it was during previous games? It feels like it's fading after a decade of steady support, not getting a sudden boom
It's strong right now, as in, since Wednesday, but it's been stronger many times before. The ballot and circa Dark Dawn were the peaks. It goes in and out when people think he has a chance. It's never been on a chronic incline or decline - it'd be a very bumpy graph, lol.

Enchess

Smash Lord
It's strong right now, as in, since Wednesday, but it's been stronger many times before. The ballot and circa Dark Dawn were the peaks. It goes in and out when people think he has a chance. It's never been on a chronic incline or decline - it'd be a very bumpy graph, lol.
Ok, great to hear. I think it's just the way Isaac speculation is received in general forum now that makes me feel that way then. I don't check the Isaac forum often.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've since played Return to Dreamland and all I thought while playing it is "This is not as fun as Triple Deluxe or Planet Robobot". It's one of those games, to me, that you'd have to enjoyed at the time.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
Skull Kid: He's more interesting than HW, but this isn't saying anything. It's weird we got a one-off character and I don't like him, but whatever.
Elma: Great, she deserved it! Thankfully, Splatoon isn't only new game we are getting.
Bandana Dee: Awesome, little guy deserved it.
Geno: Cool, now he can be team up with Bowser, Peach and Mario again.
Isaac: People are going to call him just another anime swordfighter while I'll enjoy playing as him. A few times, I'm not good with swords.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know what?...I wasted money on Mii Costumes too just so I’m not a hypocrite.

Here’s a game I have as well.
There’s three remaining unique newcomers you can pick, but under these conditions:

(New Nintendo series)
(Pre-existing Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Who do you pick for each one?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
You have no idea how fast Xenoblade is becoming of a big hitter series. I'd say it could easily get a second, maybe even one rep for each game in the series so far if you wanted to show it that much.
Elma and Rex & Pyra is the absolute dream for Ultimate

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I think it’s asinine to try to compare Geno and Isaac so much. They’re both very popular, and both could make the roster. If this game ends up having DLC, I will be shocked if they don’t both make the final game, unless DLC ends up being largely 3rd-party focused like in Smash 4. Of course, only time will tell. I’m getting a bit sidetracked... My only point is to say that both Isaac and Geno were wildly popular even in the Smash 4 era, and you can’t judge activity on this site’s character pages as the sole metric of their popularity.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm very confident Geno and Isaac will be in. They've bumped themselves up to 99% certainty because of the whole "muh sacred trio/prophecy" thing. I'm unsure about very popular third party picks like Banjo, because Steve (or if it's Rare's decision, Fulgore or Rash) is just as likely IMHO. I don't know what I can say for Brawl-era requests unless Skull Kid was popular around that time.

Elma and Rex & Pyra is the absolute dream for Ultimate
The true dream is to add Reyn and let his final smash use Sharla and Melia because adding Fiora to Shulk's was ****ing dumb

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
There’s three remaining unique newcomers you can pick, but under these conditions:

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

New Nintendo Series: Springman I guess? Although Isaac for his fans ;)
Pre-Existing: Elma / Rex & Pyra
Third Party: Sora

The true dream is to add Reyn and let his final smash use Sharla and Melia because adding Fiora to Shulk's was ****ing dumb
That would've been neat. I kinda wish Fiora was playable as well. Best girl in the Xenoblade series in my book.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
You know what?...I wasted money on Mii Costumes too just so I’m not a hypocrite.

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Isaac
Elma
Neku (100% personal bias here)

I'd switch Isaac with Saki or Mio depending on my mood.
Would also switch Elma with Giygas or Octolings dependent on mood

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

-Chorus Kids from Rhythm Heaven
-Elma
-Shantae

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Wonder Red
Geno and/or Mach Rider
Ray Man

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I think I'm the only Kirby fan that doesn't like Bandana Dee
I’m a huge Dee supporter, but you’re not the only one. There have been a lot of people who have wanted other Kirby characters, and there still are. Bandana Waddle Dee just happens to be the most popular, but that’s not to say all Kirby fans agree.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To move away from this discussion... What would your reaction be if we got five more unique newcomers?
Skull Kid/Elma/Bandana Waddle Dee/Geno/Isaac
Seeing my remaining most wanted become the least-hype newcomer of Smash 5 would be bizarre, but I'd take it. I am interested in seeing how people react to whoever is the least surprising/exciting newcomer when the game releases, though. Feels like a "Dark Pit took my favorite character's slot!" situation waiting to happen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Your unique newcomer requirement is preventing me from choosing Dixie on any of these

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
I would hype that Isaac and Elma are in. But Skull Kid is going to leave a sour taste in my mouth honestly (and the lack of Lycanroc :().

I just don't see it, most people I know or read just think Golden Sun is a very niche GBA RPG and everyone I see talking about it doesn't feel like it's anything but that.

Hey, I'm not saying Golden Sun is not popular. If Isaac ever gets a spot in Smash, it'll be well deserved. I'm just saying Super Mario RPG (and by extent, Geno) is way more, and that has been shown to us from time to time. I also don't buy that "Isaac didn't have an easy asset so he didn't get a costume" because there's his Brawl Assist Trophy that could be worked on from that.
This going to be my last comment on this discussion.

But unfortunately, it’s quite literally the opposite:

There really has been a lot of clamoring over another Golden Sun game. That’s why a lot of people want Isaac to get in Smash, to give the franchise another time in the light and a another chance at redemption to become more successful, and it’s pretty well known among the Nintendo crowd. Golden Sun is talked a lot about outside of Smash context along with Isaac and his entire cast of characters. They’re very popular on their own.

However, there has been very little semblance for a SMRPG sequel or anything. I always though about a Super Mario RPG 2, but I sincerely haven’t seen discussion of it anywhere in the Geno forums or when Geno is discussed outside of it. Alot of the unique characters and settings from Super Mario RPG are barely discussed at all, there has been little talk about Mallow, or Smithy, or Bisho, the settings and wacky story, etc. It’s always been about Geno and Smash, and never anything outside of it. Really, I think that’s why people want Geno in Smash. They want to play as one of their well liked characters that they found to be awesome, somewhere else. That’s fine if that’s why you support your character, that’s one of the main reason why I want some of my most wanted in anyways, that’s one of the main points.

But sadly, at this point, what you said isn’t true based on what I have seen and I wanted to explain why.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Isaac from Golden Sun.
Isabelle from Animal Crossing
Joker from Persona 5

Though decisions, I left out a lot of characters I liked.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Dillon
Dixie/ Skull Kid/ Geno
Geno

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
That would be the perfect way to wrap up Smash Bros Ultimate if you ask me. Isaac's one of my most wanted, and I've kinda grown on Skull Kid so he'd be second most wanted. Bandanna Dee would be great thanks to his spear, Geno would be another famous fan-request that got added even if I don't really have a large connection to him, and even if I'd prefer Rex and Pyra for the potential tag-team they could bring to Smash, Elma could easily bring some flair with her double guns and swords... although it's been ages since I played Xenoblade Chronicles X.

All around, if these are the last five newcomers for Smash Ultimate's base roster, expect a
reaction from me.

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Isaac (Golden Sun)
Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I've had the same mood since June. All I wanted was my main and for him to get buffed. I got both, winwin. Anything else can happen for all I care.

Meh, I think they've done similar before but I'm not sure. The thing about Mach and the rifle for me is that Mach had a 1% chance before the news that he got a figma, and now that the news was out his likelihood is like what, 3% now? Not a very likely character in the first place IMO, but I don't believe that the rifle is meant for Geno.

I also dont think the rifle is for Geno, just saw thats what the conversation around here was.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

Qbby I guess?
BOSHI!!!
Crash

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who said she needs to be an Echo? I don’t recall her having a Jet-Barrel pack and peanut guns. :rolleyes:
*[insert Chrom emote here] kicks down your door*
"Hello have you heard of our lord and savior Aether?"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Who said she needs to be an Echo? I don’t recall her having a Jet-Barrel pack and peanut guns. :rolleyes:
Her bubble gum gun would probably work similar to Diddy's peanut popgun though. And Chrom has showed they don't have to be exact copies of 1 singular character

I legitimately want Dixie as an echo more than I want most unique newcomer choices.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Dear Sega could you make something other than Sonic and sometimes Yakuza?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

New Series: Min-Min from ARMS.
Pre-existing Series: Incineroar/Dusk Lycanroc/Buzzwole/Zeraora/Decidueye from Pokemon Sun and Moon.
Third Party: Banjo and Kazooie Banjo Kazooie.
I just really want a new Pokemon okay!?

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
This list seems like it was made for me.

Skull Kid: Heck Yeah! MM was an enjoyable experience and just thinking about what Sakurai could do with Skull Kid as a character makes me super hyped!
Elma: No particular want for her, but I would love to see her fan base happy!
Bandanna Waddle Dee: Most wanted unique newcomer for me. I think he deserves it.
Geno: Currently playing through Super Mario RPG for the first time ever. Geno would be a welcomed addition to me.
Isaac: No particular want for him either, but his fan base deserves it after so many years of wanting him.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My absolute number 1 choice would be Blastoise

But that's not going to happen.

The least they could have done was give Squirtle a sunglasses alt. but Noooooo

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

New Nintendo series:
damn this one is hard, i guess arms is the only game I can think of.
Pre-existing nintendo series:
Dixie Kong i guess, im kinda only hoping for 3rd parties now not many nintendo characters would build my hype at this point
3rd party:
Sora or Banjo & Kazooie, these two are amazing and they both have history with nintendo.

Enchess

Smash Lord

Skull Kid
Elma
Bandana Waddle Dee
Geno
Isaac
SK - ok, whatevs. I like him, I once wanted him. Sure.
Elma - XBX needs some more love in general. Its main story may have be meh, but it nailed everything else. Primary reason I'm rooting for her. Id be excited
Bandana Waddle Dee - um...I still don't understand but I'm getting Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, and Elma so whatevs.
Geno - a bit weird cuz it's a choice that really won't age well, but I'll still have a great time playing as him. Totally ok with him (and contrary to how it maybe sounded, I'd be ok with him even without Isaac)
Isaac - awesome. Just awesome. Yes.

Really good roster. I'd be extremely happy with this and it's honestly way better than I'm anticipating

StupendousMike

Smash Ace

(New Nintendo series)
(3rd Party)

(New Nintendo series) - Elma seems okay
(Pre-existing Nintendo series) - Dixie Kong
(3rd Party) - Crash Bandicoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom