• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Wow... I actually forgot that Isaac never got even a Mii Costume.

As someone who just finished Golden Sun 1 for the second time last month let me just say this:

Ouch

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
Yoshi did some illegal shenanigans so he can't get in

Alfonso replaces him as a character

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nah, Geno outranked Isaac by a lot always. Next in line would probably be Isaac though.
Some time after Brawl Geno became a fringe pick until the costume & Sakurai comment brought him back into being more expected. Take a look.

Ridley, K. Rool and Isaac had more steady popularity, though there were different points when all three experienced dips and peaks.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

As someone who just finished Golden Sun 1 for the second time last month let me just say this:

Ouch
As someone who's waited 8 years for a sequel to the latest game's cliffhanger ending.
My "ouch" has been exponentially "ouch"ed.

The End....png

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Why do I get the feeling Richter is going to be more popular than Simon?
Not many Castlevania fans I've talked to consider Simon their favorite. If you love classic game play, your favorite is probably Richter or Trevor. If you love Metroidvania, your gonna be split between Alucard, Soma, and Shanoa (I do see a few Nathan fans). If you love God of W...um, modern Castlevania, your favorite is probably Gabriel. Simon has the misfortune of being iconic because his games are the first in the series, not the best in the series.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Elma points a gun at the camera in every 4th story chapter, so she has a fair range of "delet this".
Another reason why I can't stand X.

That and Elma turning out to be an alien all along.

"What a tweest!"

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Nobody's saying Ridley tears down the relevancy argument, mate. If anything, it's that we got 3-5 characters in one day who lack relevance, depending on your personal cutoff date for "relevance." (The arbitrary and subjective nature of the issue itself proves that relevancy isn't something to be relied on when it comes to Smash speculation in my book, but I digress.) We obviously can't say relevancy doesn't matter period, but when King K. Rool is in the game after a decade-long absence and even longer since his prime as the main villain of his home series, it's hard to call relevancy a requisite to join the roster like many thought it was. That is what we mean when we say "relevancy doesn't matter".

You may well be right, but why would Sakurai need an external reference for a character who already has several canon 3D models complete with animations in reserve? That doesn't make sense. The most Geno has by comparison is the Mii Costume, and it's hardly out of the question for his design as a fighter to get an upgrade from that; compare K. Rool's appearance in Ultimate to his Mii Costume, for instance.
For all we know King K. Rool might be the only exception, not the rule that relevancy doesn't matter, because all the other characters don't do anything to point towards relevancy being a dead argument.

Also Sakurai uses those figures for studing poses and movements. He did so since Brawl, and this kind of work wpuld be a lot harder if, instead of real life object, you used a software
20180812_084320.png

This probably means that the figure he bough some times ago for the gun was for a character who most of the times wields a gun...or considering that Sakurai has several figures, maybe he needed a second gun for this character.
What is sure is that for Geno, if he is really here (something I'm still not fully convinced) he could have used the same accesories he used for Samus, Mega Man and the Mii Gunner without the need of a new gun (especially not a long rifle).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whenever I see the "Geno vs. Isaac" debate, it seems to me like people always politely nod at the Isaac supporters and shrug them off.

I'm #TeamNoMoreAnimeCharacters.
I mean...

They seem to be in the majority bruh, by a very big margin.

Isaac support was huge Pre Smash 4 and during the Smash 4 DLC period. It's only til recently that their support has almost given up.

You're literally just making up a new trio that includes Isaac. The trio of seemingly unrealizable characters was always Ridley/K.Rool/Geno. It's been like that since the Brawl days.
This trio is something I've only heard about during the last few months.

There never was a "trio" til Ultimate's speculation period.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's for Geno. The gun is long and thin like Geno's gun. It's not meant to be an exact match
It's a rifle, first of all.
That's not a definitive fact, second of all because of its equal parallel to Mach Rider's rifle.
And the "not meant to be an exact match" seems like a really petty excuse when Mach Rider's is almost identical.

I honestly don't care about the gun
Okay funbreaker, good to know.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Ouch
Probably would've if he'd existing assets to work with, like every other Nintendo costume bar K. Rool.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I wouldn't give Mach Rider points or even a slot because of the Figma and his own rifle looking similar. It doesn't guarantee a slot unless Sakurai stated it was for a playable character he was adding in the game. He could end up being an Assist, which is find and dandy on its own.
True, true. I, personally, think the rifle has to be for either Geno or Mach Rider as they're the only characters within reason I know of who have guns like that, but also lack canon models that Sakurai could potentially use as a reference. (Okay, Mach Rider technically had a trophy in Melee, but that model doesn't even have the rifle at all IIRC, so it doesn't count here.)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I mean...

Isaac support was huge Pre Smash 4 and during the Smash 4 DLC period. It's only til recently that their support has almost given up.

Yeah, the only trio I've heard of was the Smash For one, made by Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo. And the clone Pokémon proves that they don't necessarely have to add all these supposed related characters.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean...

And Geno support was huge pre-Brawl and pre-Ultimate.

It was tiny during Smash 4 because Geno fans had given up. They didn't think he'd get his chance because of Square's involvement needed.

Initial Smash 4 support was a dark period.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean...

Isaac support flares up when there's reason to believe he might get included, then it goes back into hibernation. xD

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Not many Castlevania fans I've talked to consider Simon their favorite. If you love classic game play, your favorite is probably Richter or Trevor. If you love Metroidvania, your gonna be split between Alucard, Soma, and Shanoa (I do see a few Nathan fans). If you love God of W...um, modern Castlevania, your favorite is probably Gabriel. Simon has the misfortune of being iconic because his games are the first in the series, not the best in the series.
I guess I can see someone who likes to whip in 8 directions as a Simon fan as Super Castlevania IV has that going for him.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
As someone who has never been on here that frequently but has always been exposed to new comer memes/speculation (well we didn't call them memes back then)

Ridley, K. Rool, Geno has always been the Trio.

I didn't even know Isaac got such a sudden boom recently

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was tiny during Smash 4 because Geno fans had given up. They didn't think he'd get his chance because of Square's involvement needed.

Initial Smash 4 support was a dark period.
That's the thing.

That's the period that the ballot is taking cues from.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I guess I can see someone who likes to whip in 8 directions as a Simon fan as Super Castlevania IV has that going for him.
Yeah that probably is what makes Simon and Richter different in terms of actual fighters. So I guess Simon's kinda better because he can just deflect projectile spamming? Can't say for sure.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's the thing.

That's the period that the ballot is taking cues from.
But during the Ballot is when the Geno fandom started to pick up. Sharing on social media and stuff to all vote Geno

And we were able to get that costume

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But during the Ballot is when the Geno fandom started to pick up. Sharing on social media and stuff to all vote Geno

And we were able to get that costume
The poll I got was from the ballot period.

It was that one really big poll that no one has topped since.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bar K.Rool, bar Flying Man, bar Black Knight even? There's quite a bit with not easily accessible assets
Flying man wasn't original

It was a scrapped model for the magicant stage. They just repurposed it into a costume

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah, but besides that I'm not sure Super Castlevania has much to win people over compared to the other titles. Simon fans must really like that 8 directions of whip.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I thought the trio was always Ridley, K.Rool and Isaac.
During the ballot, I always saw it as King K. Rool and Isaac as the top two. Though I think Geno was up there too as the trio of the ballot.

They’ve always been discussed and for good reason (even though I don’t particular care for Ming K. Rool).

Anyways, I honestly don’t care or necessarily want Geno in. He honestly feels sort of like a sore thumb when you compare him to the other Mario characters and has a very uninteresting design in my opinion.

And honestly, I know he is owned by Square and all but MY GOD I HATE the idea of a one off character who’s essentially a MARIO CHARACTER being the second representative of Square Enix when you could’ve picked someone like Sora who is much more prominent and popular and can bring in one of the most iconic series to Smash, than a ninth Mario character who seemingly brings something to a franchise has 20 similar looking stages and themes that already represented.

I wouldn’t complain if he got revealed though, I would just be disinterested.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As someone who has never been on here that frequently but has always been exposed to new comer memes/speculation (well we didn't call them memes back then)

Ridley, K. Rool, Geno has always been the Trio.

I didn't even know Isaac got such a sudden boom recently
I'm telling you that Geno popularity died down between Brawl and DLC. Literally the guy who's been running the Geno thread for years echoed the sentiment. It's never been nothing, but there was a while it certainly wasn't close to the top.

Lots of costumes also didn't get splash screens.

Or even costumes at all.

oof :^)
The context of my original point has nothing to do with Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom