• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Nethermoosen Nethermoosen

Then how is your suggestion any different from doing away with free falling? It's...redundant, in that case. You're just trading a moment of helplessness for another moment of helplessness, leading you right back to where you started.

Also, Dedede in Smash 4 has bar none the best vertical recovery in the game. This is not disputable. He has super armor starting on frame 26, intangibility on his feet and body in-between (can't recall the exacts rn), and even more super armor towards the end of the move (frame 73-80). Most importantly of all, Super Dedede Jump autosnaps to the edge, meaning it's two framer or bust to successfully edgeguard him in most scenarios because you're not getting him if he's recovering low.

It doesn't need to be dangerous to be really, really freaking good, lol

Oh, and not to mention that the Spring isn't the only thing that makes Sonic's recovery good. He has great horizontal recovery as well lent to him by the momentum of his other specials, both Spinning moves and Homing Attack. He can actually jump out of the former to mix up his approach.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Going back to that leak, it's not even the fact that we got some seriously out there picks that get me.

It's the idea of no new Pokemon.

I legit cannot imagine the pokemon company not approaching Sakurai wanting a new Pokemon in Smash, look what it did for Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo.
I agree. Sakurai clearly did his Pokemon Sun and Moon homework, Gamefreak must have approached him with a couple options for Pokemon Newcomers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Out of topic, but, most important thing about Ultimate's online play: Will taunt matches return?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just realized Sakurai never mentioned customs in the Direct.

they might really be gone, which brings the question of what miis are gonna do

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Heihachi really isn't that big of a deal to the smash fanbase imo.

I can already see the outcry of people:

"Oh yeah, Namco gets special treatment because they made the game. Great."
Well seeing as Konami has 3 characters now and Sega as well as Capcom having 2 (and potentially more), I wouldn't say there's any special treatment towards Namco. But you're right, Heihachi wouldn't really be a crazy reveal, especially since we know Sakurai has toyed with the idea before. I still think he's a bland character and Nightmare (or a Tales character) would be a better addition.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I agree. Sakurai clearly did his Pokemon Sun and Moon homework, Gamefreak must have approached him with a couple options for Pokemon Newcomers.
The fact that Lycanroc is so popular, and has such a presence in the anime leads me to believe we will get Lycanroc. Specifically in his Dusk Form.

It’s obvious Sakurai had prior knowledge of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Mimikyu uses Lets Snuggle Forever as its attack. Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Sakurai aren’t idiots.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps he's saving them for DLC?
I dunno, I feel like adding a Gen 7 newcomer would still be appropriate in 2019 considering Gen 8 is supposed to be coming out in late 2019.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

It already been confirmed Miis have them, you're just going to assign them at the Mii creation screen and then that is what the created Mii will have.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
The fact that Lycanroc is so popular, and has such a presence in the anime leads me to believe we will get Lycanroc. Specifically in his Dusk Form.

It’s obvious Sakurai had prior knowledge of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Mimikyu uses Lets Snuggle Forever as its attack. Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Sakurai aren’t idiots.
Dusk Lycanroc is a top contender for the Gen 7 Newcomer spot, though I feel like Incineroar or Decidueye are just as likely.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Nethermoosen Nethermoosen

Then how is your suggestion any different from doing away with free falling? It's...redundant, in that case. You're just trading a moment of helplessness for another moment of helplessness.

Also, Dedede in Smash 4 has bar none the best vertical recovery in the game. This is not disputable. He has super armor starting on frame 26, intangibility on his feet and body in-between (can't recall the exacts rn), and even more super armor at the end of the move (frame 73-80). Most importantly of all, Super Dedede Jump autosnaps to the edge, meaning it's two framer or bust to successfully edgeguard him in most scenarios because you're not getting him if he's recovering low.

It doesn't need to be dangerous to be really, really freaking good, lol

Smooth Criminal
Okay, I’m not sure you’re understanding.

Let’s try a different character. Say Mario.

Mario uses his up special from the ground. This means he will fall helplessly. The only thing I would change is free fall.

He still wouldn’t be able to jump or use up special, but he could use any aerial attack, side special, down special or neutral special.

That would not be a moment of helplessness necessarily. It gives him more options.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Miis still have them. They already had their own customisation menu in Smash Forum.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I dunno, I feel like adding a Gen 7 newcomer would still be appropriate in 2019 considering Gen 8 is supposed to be coming out in late 2019.
That begs the question to why even add a Gen VII Pokémon at all?

To be honest, I think we’ll get a Gen VII Pokémon on the base roster, and get a Gen VIII Pokémon as promotional DLC. Not that Pokémon or Smash needs much promotions, but still. Both are very popular franchises.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It could happen, but at that point why not add a gen 8 Pokemon? We would know many of them by late mid to late 2019.
It could help promote the new games (though Pokemon doesn't really need promoting).

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Dusk Lycanroc is a top contender for the Gen 7 Newcomer spot, though I feel like Incineroar or Decidueye are just as likely.
Agreed. I know Decidueye is the popular pick, and I’d be totally fine with him in. Ghost types are my favorite. However, I feel Incineroar would fit the best with his whole wrestler design. With Lycanroc it comes from a uniqueness and marketing standpoint. I guess we’ll see.

I’m counting on Lycanroc though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Alright, here are my predictions for Smash Ultimate.
1. Geno
2. Incineroar (Or another Gen 7 Pokemon0
3. Bandanna Dee
4. Isaac
5. Skull Kid?

I''m only really confident in the first two getting in, i'm half and half on Bandanna Dee and really unsure about the last few.
Honorable mentions to Elma, Rhythm Heaven, and the Chorus Kids.

Now on to Echo Fighters.

1. Isabelle (Villager)
2. Shadow (Sonic)
3. Ken (Ryu)
4. Dixie (Diddy)
5. Impa (Sheik)

Our predictions are exactly the same in this area.

Last but not least, I only have three DLC predictions.

1. Rex & Pyra
2. Gen 8 Pokemon
3. Springman
1) Bandana Dee
2) Geno
3) Incinaroar
4) Skull kid
5) Isaac

Bandana Dee and Incinaroar are from leaks, Geno Is a personal hope, Skull Kid is from a leak - but mostly preference, and Isaac seems popular.

1) Dixie
2) Isabelle
3) Shadow
4) Impa
5) Medusa

Dixie is personal preference, Isabelle is a leak, Shadow and Impa seem likely - more or less, and Medusa may not be likely but it's a bold prediction.

1) Springman
2) Sora
3) Mallow
4) ???
5) ???

I don't have a clue...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Reminder that the project plan was devised in December 2015, before any gen 7 pokemon were revealed, and if Sakurai had a placeholder slot for one he is going to discuss it with TPC asap to decide it and not wait around nearly a year to see who is most popular, so eventual popularity will have absolutely no impact on who gets chosen. Greninja ended up really popular before Smash but that was by coincidence, as he was chosen so early in development that Sakurai just had concept art and whatever TPC told him to go off of, and thus only chose him because it was who Sakurai liked best out of whatever options he was given.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Going back to that leak, it's not even the fact that we got some seriously out there picks that get me.

It's the idea of no new Pokemon.

I legit cannot imagine the pokemon company not approaching Sakurai wanting a new Pokemon in Smash, look what it did for Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo.

if you do gardevoir and gothitelle you have all gens up until when smash ultimate was proposed represented (since pichu is back).

you could then do a gen7 for DLC (pokemons a big draw its the type of thing casuals will pay to download).

Now the smash ballot obviously would have gotten a TON of pokemon requests. the smash ballot had a few major things on it, one thing was to vote in a character and with 700+ pokemon, while im sure some came out ahead, i'd wager there wasnt an overwhelming winner, probably a large list of "favorites" that stood out but no one having say double the votes of all the other pokemon. Well another thing that was on the smash ballot was a section where you could write in your reason WHY you wanted a certain character... this is where I think gardevoir with a gothitelle echo starts to have some logic behind it... now i said i bet there wasnt one pokemon that got voted for significantly more than others BUT i'd also guess if you catogorized peoples reasons for asking for certain pokemon you'd get a very common theme with "This Generation of pokemon isnt represented yet". In fact I'd bet that might have been the #1 reason for a pokemons inclusion people wrote down on the ballot... stuff like "gen3 was the first gen i played" or "gen 2 was my favorite and we dont have a rep" or "us younger fans would really like a Gen5 pokemon"... Sakurai is definitely the type of guy to appreciate that pokemon has stood the test of time and many different generations of kids have grew up playing and loving different generations of pokemon and want their time with that series acknowledged in smash... If sakurai saw THOSE out cries as the MAIN reasoning for a pokemons representation I think him settling on gardevoir and gothitelle makes a TON of sense. First hes already bringing everyone back so Pichu comes in and reps Gen2. the missing reps at the time of smash development then become Gen3 and Gen5 (with Gen7 not out yet), Sakurai then has to find a way to rep two gens in a game where he isnt adding "too many more characters", the obvious solution is one will be an "echo fighter". So now he has to choose a pokemon popular enough to warrant inclusion in smash AND has a pokemon from the other unrepresented Gen (either 3 or 5) that can be its echo fighter...

Suddenly Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo doesnt seem like a crazy choice at all.

Now we COULD just get incineroar but honestly we could save Gen7 for DLC and calling this smash "ultimate", feels like every gen of pokemon having a rep seems like a fitting task to try and accomplish. THAT on top of the fact the ONE leak to guess at richter also didnt guess at anything that would have gotten it deconfirmed like guessing at ashley or mimikyu or something else that would have "deconfirmed" it after this direct AND it has a plausible story about how the information was obtained (not necessarily a LIKELY story but plausible) AND it wasnt a leak JUST saying richter, it also guessed at things that could have easily gotten it deconfirmed (dark samus ending up being an assist trophy or gardevoir being shown as a pokeball pokemon would have instantly killed the leak)...

Gardevoir is a popular pokemon and is from Gen 3 (a generation with no representation in smash). the Gen3 remakes were also the newest pokemon games out around the time smash ultimate goes into development. after this last direct echo fighters seem to be fairly plentiful (guessing at gothitelle when the only echo we had was daisy is, much like richter, leak poison. why even say it if you are faking a leak it kills it almost instantly) and Gothitelle COULD work as a gardevoir echo. Gothitelle is also a Gen5 pokemon, the one other Gen not represented in smash...

Also i think "Mario2" is Geno. call me biased but i think geno is going to be the FINAL "everyone is here" base game rep, and i could see sakurai going to great lengths to "hide" him and using a code word for his data.

I have more to say about this leak, mostly about how vergeben and lok18 seem to not know exactly which pokemon we are getting just who we arent and just how impressive guessing richter without faltering and guessing someone who got deconfirmed AND guessing a few other characters (although commonly guessed ones: k rool/dark samus) gives this leak, imo, a LOT of credibility.

im going to make a more in depth video on it if no one can give me a good reason it is likely fake, i seriously think its one of our most likely leaks right up there with skull kid and isabelle right now.

Shroob

Sup?
if you do gardevoir and gothitelle you have all gens up until when smash ultimate was proposed represented (since pichu is back).

you could then do a gen7 for DLC (pokemons a big draw its the type of thing casuals will pay to download).

Now the smash ballot obviously would have gotten a TON of pokemon requests. the smash ballot had a few major things on it, one thing was to vote in a character and with 700+ pokemon, while im sure some came out ahead, i'd wager there wasnt an overwhelming winner, probably a large list of "favorites" that stood out but no one having say double the votes of all the other pokemon. Well another thing that was on the smash ballot was a section where you could write in your reason WHY you wanted a certain character... this is where I think gardevoir with a gothitelle echo starts to have some logic behind it... now i said i bet there wasnt one pokemon that got voted for significantly more than others BUT i'd also guess if you catogorized peoples reasons for asking for certain pokemon you'd get a very common theme with "This Generation of pokemon isnt represented yet". In fact I'd bet that might have been the #1 reason for a pokemons inclusion people wrote down on the ballot... stuff like "gen3 was the first gen i played" or "gen 2 was my favorite and we dont have a rep" or "us younger fans would really like a Gen5 pokemon"... Sakurai is definitely the type of guy to appreciate that pokemon has stood the test of time and many different generations of kids have grew up playing and loving different generations of pokemon and want their time with that series acknowledged in smash... If sakurai saw THOSE out cries as the MAIN reasoning for a pokemons representation I think him settling on gardevoir and gothitelle makes a TON of sense. First hes already bringing everyone back so Pichu comes in and reps Gen2. the missing reps at the time of smash development then become Gen3 and Gen5 (with Gen7 not out yet), Sakurai then has to find a way to rep two gens in a game where he isnt adding "too many more characters", the obvious solution is one will be an "echo fighter". So now he has to choose a pokemon popular enough to warrant inclusion in smash AND has a pokemon from the other unrepresented Gen (either 3 or 5) that can be its echo fighter...

Suddenly Gardevoir with a Gothitelle echo doesnt seem like a crazy choice at all.

Now we COULD just get incineroar but honestly we could save Gen7 for DLC and calling this smash "ultimate", feels like every gen of pokemon having a rep seems like a fitting task to try and accomplish. THAT on top of the fact the ONE leak to guess at richter also didnt guess at anything that would have gotten it deconfirmed like guessing at ashley or mimikyu or something else that would have "deconfirmed" it after this direct AND it has a plausible story about how the information was obtained (not necessarily a LIKELY story but plausible) AND it wasnt a leak JUST saying richter, it also guessed at things that could have easily gotten it deconfirmed (dark samus ending up being an assist trophy or gardevoir being shown as a pokeball pokemon would have instantly killed the leak)...

Gardevoir is a popular pokemon and is from Gen 3 (a generation with no representation in smash). the Gen3 remakes were also the newest pokemon games out around the time smash ultimate goes into development. after this last direct echo fighters seem to be fairly plentiful (guessing at gothitelle when the only echo we had was daisy is, much like richter, leak poison. why even say it if you are faking a leak it kills it almost instantly) and Gothitelle COULD work as a gardevoir echo. Gothitelle is also a Gen5 pokemon, the one other Gen not represented in smash...

Also i think "Mario2" is Geno. call me biased but i think geno is going to be the FINAL "everyone is here" base game rep, and i could see sakurai going to great lengths to "hide" him and using a code word for his data.

I have more to say about this leak, mostly about how vergeben and lok18 seem to not know exactly which pokemon we are getting just who we arent and just how impressive guessing richter without faltering and guessing someone who got deconfirmed AND guessing a few other characters (although commonly guessed ones: k rool/dark samus) gives this leak, imo, a LOT of credibility.

im going to make a more in depth video on it if no one can give me a good reason it is likely fake, i seriously think its one of our most likely leaks right up there with skull kid and isabelle right now.
I'm not talking about that leak.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Mario uses his up special from the ground. This means he will fall helplessly. The only thing I would change is free fall.

He still wouldn’t be able to jump or use up special, but he could use any aerial attack, side special, down special or neutral special.

That would not be a moment of helplessness necessarily. It gives him more options.
Alright I guess, but like...there's still the notion of taking a trade or getting beat out clean by characters with disjointed hitboxes. I still don't know what this would accomplish other than exacerbating those two situations to possibly an unhealthy degree in all manner of play.

Smooth Criminal

Noipoi

Howdy!

I think they were talking about the Soen, Terra, Prince Sable leak.

But honestly i'd love Gardevoir in Smash it's one of my favorite Pokemon, I just don't talk about because I don't think it has a chance.
If only this leak were true...

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Alright I guess, but like...there's still the notion of taking a trade or getting beat out clean by characters with disjointed hitboxes. I still don't know what this would accomplish other than exacerbating those two situations to possibly an unhealthy degree in all manner of play.

Smooth Criminal
Just to clarify, when you say take a trade, what situation are these trades taking place? After an up special?

Same question for disjointed hitboxes.

I realize there are a lot of changes that would take place in competitive matches. One example is that tether grabs could be used if, say, Toon Link’s up special didn’t quite make it to the ledge, but the ledge was in range for the tether, that’s a plus for him.

I also realize that the vulnerability of a missed Up special would be lessened. So, Zero Suit missing that ladder combo into her up b doesn’t mean she’s helpless and I can see that being an issue. But it also means Ganondorf could try his hand at a high flying up special that could possibly win a game. But a competitive ganon(those poor few souls) would never risk the helpless fall.

Lots of situations start opening up, and yes, some will be shut down, but I don’t feel it would be unacceptable after the adjustment period.

There are also characters who would receive no benefit at all. Kirby, Jigglypuff, Ike, Chrom and Yoshi would not change at all.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If Gardevoir + Gothielle Echo actually happens over a gen 7 pokemon, this is probably certainly the reason it happened. The big overrepresentation of gen 1 pokemon plus half the gens having no playable pokemon at all was the big complaint with both Brawl's and Smash 4's playable Pokemon rosters (besides the missing Mewtwo), so for a game so centered around fanservice it would certainly make sense to do what you can to get those old gens playable representation they missed out on (via picking one of the most popular pokemon from those gens that has a feasible Echo in the other gen like you said), and then do whatever gen 7 pokemon is popular later on as DLC, instead of trying to gamble on it and hoping you get lucky again with what's popular like Sakurai did with Greninja and Lucario prior.

Now Vergeben does soft contradict this as he claims there will be a gen 7 pokemon, however it could just be an assumption by him and/or his sources (as pretty much everyone would do if they heard a new pokemon is in but not who it is specifically). Still really doubt that CEO leaker is legitimate though for the reasons I mentioned in my prior post and I think we will just get a gen 7 pokemon chosen to Sakurai's and TPC's whims.

That said if it is true, really sucks for the gen 5 fans that their playable representation is ****ing Gothielle, gen 2 fans have it pretty rough with their playable representation being Pichu, but at least Pichu is sorta cute and isn't hideous to look at.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If Gardevoir + Gothielle Echo actually happens over a gen 7 pokemon, this is probably certainly the reason it happened. The big overrepresentation of gen 1 pokemon plus half the gens having no playable pokemon at all was the big complaint with both Brawl's and Smash 4's playable rosters (besides the missing Mewtwo), so for a game so centered around fanservice it would certainly make sense to do what you can to get those old gens playable representation they missed out on (via picking one of the most popular pokemon from those gens that has a feasible Echo like you said), and then do whatever gen 7 pokemon is popular later on as DLC, instead of trying to gamble on it and hoping you get lucky again with what's popular like Sakurai did with Greninja and Lucario prior.

Now Vergeben does soft contradict this as he claims there will be a gen 7 pokemon, however it could just be an assumption by him and/or his sources (as pretty much everyone would do if they heard a new pokemon is in but not who it is specifically). Still really doubt that CEO leaker is legitimate though for the reasons I mentioned in my prior post and I think we will just get a gen 7 pokemon chosen to Sakurai's and TPC's whims.

That said if it is true, really sucks for the gen 5 fans that their playable representation is ****ing Gothielle, gen 2 fans have it pretty rough with their playable representation being Pichu, but at least Pichu is sorta cute and isn't hideous to look at.
At least Pichu is popular.

Gothitelle is a 'remake' of Gardevoir that failed miserably, kinda like how Zoroark was supposed to be Lucario 2.0 but failed.

D

Deleted member

It could happen, but at that point why not add a gen 8 Pokemon? We would know many of them by late mid to late 2019.
It could help promote the new games (though Pokemon doesn't really need promoting).
I don't think we'd see many Pokemon that are fighter material at this point, but I could easily be wrong.
That begs the question to why even add a Gen VII Pokémon at all?

To be honest, I think we’ll get a Gen VII Pokémon on the base roster, and get a Gen VIII Pokémon as promotional DLC. Not that Pokémon or Smash needs much promotions, but still. Both are very popular franchises.
This is a good point that I didn't consider...
Either way, I'm hoping for a playable Gen 7 Pokemon.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Buffed characters? Duck Hunt, WFT, Bowser Jr., Jiggles, the Zelda characters, and my boys Ness and Lucas

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think we've seen every returning stage. There's really no excuse not to show them all. However I think there will still be some more new stages like Ultra Space from Pokemon.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What leak are you discussing guys?
Seems to be 2.

Some rando on 4chan who 'hacked the demo' and found weird **** like Gardevoir/Gothitelle

and a Neogaf poster which promises a bunch of expected Echos, but off the wall choices like Terra from FF, and Prince Sable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom