• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Everything looks pretty consistent up till' Isaac, then it gets really weird.
That's why i don't trust this leak, it's too weird. Not Sakurai weird like Wii Fit or Duck Hunt, just strange picks all around.
Honestly, the bottom row doesn't bug me at all.

But stuff like Soren does.

I can see it work, but the question is "Why would they do it".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Holy **** I just remembered a really obscure retro character.
Kuros from the Wizards & Warriors series on the NES.
Untitled.png

And when I mean "just remembered", I made that render that you see now two years ago.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Soren is such an out there prediction for a FE newcomer, even as an echo.

Like Path of Radiance is my favorite game in the series and I like Soren a lot but...

It would be quite surprising if he got in

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think we should take a look at the "Choose Your Legend!" Event for Fire Emblem Heroes to see how popular Soren really is. And the answer is...not really.
He failed to be in the Top 20 most voted males in the first poll, and in the second one (were they remobed the 4 previous winners, Ike, Roy, Lyn and Lucina) he snatched a 20th position. Even the main protagonist of the mobile game got substabtially more support. And before you ask, this poll was indeed global, so both japanese and western fans votes are here.
cbf.jpg

Shroob

Sup?
The big thing about this leak is we still have:

3 3rd party newcomers

2 3rd party echoes

2 1st party newcomers

and

3-4(Lost count) 1st party echoes

When exactly are they gonna dump all this on us? Because that's still a ****ton of characters.

ESPECIALLY with that many 3rd parties left.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
About that...
Is "Spirits" written in English? And if it is, is it localised?
It's "Spirits" in the English version and "スピリッツ" in the Japanese version, which is literally just the English word "Spirits" written in Japanese characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's an echo, though.
Yeah, but echoes have been popular choices that wouldn't really make it as regular characters

emphasis on popular. Not just characters that possible could work even though no one really wants them

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I've seen many different wild theories on to what the chairs mean, but Skull Kid? I haven't seen anyone mention him.
I do not endorse this theory in the slightest, but people have suggested the chairs match the color of his two fairies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, but echoes have been popular choices that wouldn't really make it as regular characters

emphasis on popular. Not just characters that possible could work even though no one really wants them
Good point. Echoes in Smash Ultimate (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus) are definitely a bit different than those in Smash 4 (looking at your Dark Pit) in that they’re trying to squeeze in popular characters that just aren’t *that* popular.

So far anyway

Shroob

Sup?

Honestly, both Galacta Knight and Soren in this particular leak remind me of that line from Jurassic Park.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I do not endorse this theory in the slightest, but people have suggested the chairs match the color of his two fairies.
Obviously the purple chair is hinting at a suprise Wauigi reversal reveal, yellow chair is Isaac, the pillow or whatever that’s colored just slightly like Skull Kid is hinting at his inclusion, etc.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I want Skull Kid in the game, and I want Waluigi to somehow still make it, but c'mon trying to suggest the chairs mean anything is just dumb.

You know why they're there?

Because Sakurai really is just a weird dude.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
My main problem with the challenges is the way that Smash Wii U handled the harder challenges. You expect me to clear the highest intensity without losing a single life? Even Brawl's challenges weren't that absurd.
For one of the hardest challenges the game can throw at you I think it's pretty reasonable, they are called "challenges" to begin with and the hardest ones should really make you work for it.

Did the "Gardevoir / echo Gothitelle" leak get deconfirmed for some reason?

i saw a few people call it "fake" but is there actually something about it proving it fake that i missed? or do people just not like it so they are calling it fake? cause honestly i think if you really dig into it it could be true, it seems to have guessed some tough to guess things and some pieces of it could make sense again if you dig into it and speculate... (from what ive read of it anyway, again maybe i missed something here).

anyone know for sure why its being called fake? i feel like i could be fairly plausible in my opinion. i'd really like to hear someone with some reasoning's opinion about it, i feel like im missing why people are saying it cant be true.
I would love to see Gardevoir get in, but it has two big red flags to me:

1: The guy's whole story is just completely unbelievable, for reasons others have went through in the thread.

2: Why would it have Richter in the data but not Simon, when Richter is the Echo?

I think the guy was just one of those leakers who takes some common picks but then adds his own "twist" to the common belief (in this case having Richter instead of Simon) alongside a couple other weird picks to stand out from the typical 4chan fare and just happened to get a huge stroke a luck with Richter being anything at all alongside K. Rool and Dark Samus being confirmed at the same time. However I always maintained leaks should be met with an open mind, as a lot of the legitimate leaks have came from seemingly improbable places and have some unbelievable things, so it shouldn't be outright dismissed. As for how this guy could be legitimate, for point 1 perhaps he was in a position where he could get a lot of alone time with the demo and thus do datamine stuff but didn't take any pictures or give any details to prevent himself from being found out. As for point 2, I remember back in the Brawl days it was apparently the case that playtesters got builds with different characters instead of the complete roster (which is why the Brawl leakers each had different portions of the roster), and perhaps maybe it is possible Echoes could end up on separate test builds than their base character and the demo happens to be made from one of those builds lacking Simon. Still extremely questionable though and I think the different builds would just restrict access to the characters rather than not having them in the game at all, and it's questionable if that practice would still be done at all; we know it wasn't done for Smash 4 as Ninka's source was a playtester and he was able to leak the complete roster months out from release.

For one more possible explanation point for him being legitimate, he just says "code for the character select" and "select screen code", which is pretty vague for what it is and may not necessarily be referring to a datamine, perhaps he just accessed the debug menu and happened to find their names there? Or perhaps he is just referring to the data of the character select screen rather than actual character files, and thus it's more probable for an Echo's base to be missing from it (but still weird). Anyway I do find it very unlikely this is legit, but getting Richter as a character and the timing of Dark Samus' + K. Rool's reveal will have me keep an eye on it.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
That damn yellow chair honestly looks more like lime green to me, lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Good point. Echoes in Smash Ultimate (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus) are definitely a bit different than those in Smash 4 (looking at your Dark Pit) in that they’re trying to squeeze in popular characters that just aren’t *that* popular.

So far anyway
Well, Dark Pit was pretty popular among Kid Icarus fans, so I think we are still going in the same direction.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly the thing that mostly baffles me about Soren as an echo is that, in the game, he is a pure magician, so having him also use a sword would be out of character, especially when there are magician with swords other than Robin, in particular Celica, who skyrocketed the popularity polls and is even from the latest game on the series (albeit a remake).

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That damn yellow chair honestly looks more like lime green to me, lol.
Gex confirmed

Well, Dark Pit was pretty popular among Kid Icarus fans, so I think we are still going in the same direction.
I’m a big Kid Icarus Uprising fan, but I feel like Dark Samus, Chrom, and especially Daisy are more popular than him. At least less people are annoyed at their inclusion.

But I suppose that could just be because of the echo branding lol

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I’d say Metroid’s perceived neglect and the apparent venom toward Chrom in Smash 4 probably softened the reception toward Dark Samus and the latter.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just read a 4chan post that said a leaker on the 3rd of July predicted

>Simon Belmont
>K Rool
>Isaac
>Heihachi
>Skull Kid
>Banjo Kazooie

Echoes:
>Richter
>Dark Samus
>Chrom as a Roy echo.
>Soren as Robin's echo
>Black Knight as Ike's echo
>Isabelle
>Akuma as Ryu's echo
>Shadow
>Kazuya as Heihachi echo
>Ninten for Ness
>Impa as Sheik

Is this a different one? It also has Soren. But it doesn't have Galacta Knight. It also doesn't have Terra

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
There is also the difference that Dark Pit didn't really get revealed, instead he was leaked with the full roster at a time where everyone was still hoping for [desired character] to be in the game. So of course, when [desired character] didn't make it, it was easy to hate on more clones making it instead.

This is more of the same what happened in Brawl when everyone wanted K. Rool/Geno/Ridley and instead we got R.O.B. as one of the last confirmed fighters, and then lots of people hated on R.O.B. because of it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Gex confirmed

I’m a big Kid Icarus Uprising fan, but I feel like Dark Samus, Chrom, and especially Daisy are more popular than him. At least less people are annoyed at their inclusion.

But I suppose that could just be because of the echo branding lol
I'm not saying he's more popular than other echoes, it's just he was also popular.
Also, people's reaction is definitely due to branding. Just compare initial reactions Lucina and Chrom got.

Shroob

Sup?

>Simon Belmont
>K Rool
>Isaac
>Heihachi
>Skull Kid
>Banjo Kazooie

Echoes:
>Richter
>Dark Samus
>Chrom as a Roy echo.
>Soren as Robin's echo
>Isabelle
>Akuma as Ryu's echo
>Shadow
>Kazuya as Heihachi echo
>Ninten for Ness
>Impa as Sheik

Is this a different one? It also has Soren. But it doesn't have Galacta Knight. It also doesn't have Terra
I would not be surprised if someone reading this thread made that.

It wasn't me I swear.

osby

Smash Obsessed
There is also the difference that Dark Pit didn't really get revealed, instead he was leaked with the full roster at a time where everyone was still hoping for [desired character] to be in the game. So of course, when [desired character] didn't make it, it was easy to hate on more clones making it instead.

This is more of the same what happened in Brawl when everyone wanted K. Rool/Geno/Ridley and instead we got R.O.B. as one of the last confirmed fighters, and then lots of people hated on R.O.B. because of it.
There's also that. I'm kinda worried about this game's last newcomer, tbh.

History proved they'll get the bulk of the hate.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

>Simon Belmont
>K Rool
>Isaac
>Heihachi
>Skull Kid
>Banjo Kazooie

Echoes:
>Richter
>Dark Samus
>Chrom as a Roy echo.
>Soren as Robin's echo
>Isabelle
>Akuma as Ryu's echo
>Shadow
>Kazuya as Heihachi echo
>Ninten for Ness
>Impa as Sheik

Oof the hype. I wish that were real.

Not 4chan savvy, is there a way to see if this is legit?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Hello SmashBoards! It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted here, but I wanted to play a quick game.

I’ll call 5&5. I’d like to know who you all believe will be the next & final 5 Newcomers & 5 Echoes will be.

I’ll start.
1. Karate Joe
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno

1. Isabelle (Villager Echo)
2. Dixie Kong (Diddy Echo)
3. Impa (Sheik Echo)
4. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
5. Ken (Ryu Echo)

Bonus Round: 5 most likely DLC Potentials.

1. Rex & Pyra
2. Springman (with Ribbon Girl Echo)
3. A character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
(My choice is a Pokémon Trainer style Byleth who instructs his three students Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard to fight. However, I believe if we get only one it’ll be Byleth or Edelgard or whoever the Goddess looking lady is.)
4. Generation VIII Pokémon
5. A Hero from Dragon Quest.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
There's also that. I'm kinda worried about this game's last newcomer, tbh.

History proved they'll get the bulk of the hate.
Since all the characters will be revealed before launch the last character revealed may be a Geno/Banjo-Kazooie/Heihachi bomb drop

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hello SmashBoards! It’s been quite sometime since I’ve posted here, but I wanted to play a quick game.

I’ll call 5&5. I’d like to know who you all believe will be the next & final 5 Newcomers & 5 Echoes will be.

I’ll start.
1. Karate Joe
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno

3. Impa (Sheik Echo)
4. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
5. Ken (Ryu Echo)

1. Rex & Pyra
(My choice is a Pokémon Trainer style Byleth who instructs his three students Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard to fight. However, I believe if we get only one it’ll be Byleth or Edelgard or whoever the Goddess looking lady is.)
1. Skull Kid
2. Elma
3. Geno
4. Bandana Dee
5. Crash

1. Impa
2. Shadow
3. Isabelle
4. Ken
5. Boshi (yes, seriously. I'm not mad!!!)

Shroob

Sup?
Since all the characters will be revealed before launch the last character revealed may be a Geno/Banjo-Kazooie/Heihachi bomb drop
Heihachi really isn't that big of a deal to the smash fanbase imo.

I can already see the outcry of people:

"Oh yeah, Namco gets special treatment because they made the game. Great."

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It's not really "free." There's a lot moving parts involved. Like, Sonic, as an example? All he can do is go straight up. That's it. No other jumps coming out of it. That verticality is all he has, and the eventual descent that follows. Sure he can attack out of it, but it's a risk. He misses, he's a sitting duck until he lands or grabs the edge. Alternatively, think of it like this: Can you imagine how busted some recoveries become if you were to dispose of the free-falling/tumbling animation after them? Dedede could just...stockpile his multiple jumps basically and keep Super Dedede Jumping to his heart's content...or til whenever he grabs the edge or lands on-stage. This would especially be awful at low-ish percentages because it'd be damn near impossible to KO people. I'll spare everybody the tedium of going through each and every single recovery in the game with this sort of thing, ya'll should get the idea. It would become kinda unfun.

It's certainly an interesting thought experiment, to be sure, but there's good reason why certain characters have it and others do not (boils down to their inherent design and stuff like that, which again, would take me all night waxing on about and I'd rather not do that). You'd have to rework the rest of the game into something with less of an emphasis on getting people off of the stage. Like...Playstation All-Star Battle Royale or something of that yoke.

Smooth Criminal
I don’t understand. He would still only be able to do it once before landing. Same for any other character. He couldn’t do it any more often. Also, just because you aren’t free falling doesn’t mean you get to jump afterwards.

For Dedede as the example, he could use some jumps, then use up special. If he cancels the up special early, he can still act. However, he is not allowed to jump or use his up special until he hits the ground again. If he gets hit, he gets his up special back, but not his jumps. Just like Sonic.

Let’s be honest, Sonic’s up special is far more dangerous than Dedede’s.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I’ll start.
1. Karate Joe
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno

3. Impa (Sheik Echo)
4. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
5. Ken (Ryu Echo)

1. Rex & Pyra
Unique Newcomers:
-Elma
-Rhythm Heaven (Chrous Kids)
-Bandana Dee
-Gen VII Pokémon (Tapu Koko)
-Eighter Geno or Isaac, probably Isaac.

Echoes
-Isabelle
-Impa
-Shadow
-Dixie Kong
-Ninten

DLC
-Rex and Pyra
-SpringMan/RibbonGirl/Any Arms character
-Edelgard
-Dragon Quest character
-Eighter Geno or Isaac, depends on who made the cut or not.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I’ll start.
1. Karate Joe
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno

3. Impa (Sheik Echo)
4. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
5. Ken (Ryu Echo)

1. Rex & Pyra
Alright, here are my predictions for Smash Ultimate.
1. Geno
2. Incineroar (Or another Gen 7 Pokemon)
3. Bandanna Dee
4. Isaac
5. Skull Kid?

I''m only really confident in the first two getting in, i'm half and half on Bandanna Dee and really unsure about the last few.
Honorable mentions to Elma and the Chorus Kids.

Now on to Echo Fighters.

1. Isabelle (Villager)
2. Shadow (Sonic)
3. Ken (Ryu)
4. Dixie (Diddy)
5. Impa (Sheik)

Our predictions are exactly the same in this area.

Last but not least, I only have three DLC predictions.

1. Rex & Pyra
2. Gen 8 Pokemon
3. Springman

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sakurai acknowledges maybe there is too many Fire Emblem characters in Smash

Adds Black Knight, Chrom, Soren, Roy, Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, and Corrin to the same game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm exactly talking about this.
People have huge expectations from last reveals and Bayonetta proved being popular won't protect you from hate.

Shroob

Sup?
Going back to that leak, it's not even the fact that we got some seriously out there picks that get me.

It's the idea of no new Pokemon.

I legit cannot imagine the pokemon company not approaching Sakurai wanting a new Pokemon in Smash, look what it did for Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, both Galacta Knight and Soren in this particular leak remind me of that line from Jurassic Park.

Holy ****, this is too accurate.

I’ll start.
1. Karate Joe
2. Monster Hunter
3. Lycanroc (Dusk Form)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Geno

3. Impa (Sheik Echo)
4. Shadow (Sonic Echo)
5. Ken (Ryu Echo)

1. Rex & Pyra
Unique:
  1. Geno
  2. Skull Kid
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Isaac
  5. I'll be bold and say that I still believe Decidueye is the most likely Gen 7 Pokemon, but this is more of a placeholder for Gen 7 in general.
Echo:
  1. Shadow :ultsonic:
  2. Isabelle :ultvillager:
  3. Ken :ultryu:
  4. Impa :ultsheik:
  5. Dixie :ultdiddy: (hybrid Echo)
Shadow is the one I'm the most confident about, despite me not wanting him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom