• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I edited my post to make it more clear that I know Isabelle has been talked about for a long time and I meant relatively recent discourse in this thread. Haha. It was a janky bounce off point, sorry.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I kinda mentioned this earlier, but I don't think Sakurai would give a "Total number of stages" list if they were adding more in the base game.

After referencing the "103 stages. We must be crazy", he mentioned music. He said, "This total is also Ultimate." He then listed over 800, and then over 900.

To me, this implies that characters added from this point forward wouldn't require a stage. This brings characters like a Pokemon, Isabelle, Shadow, Dixie Kong, Ken and even Geno to mind. Granted, I think we're obviously getting DLC for this game. In DLC, I think Spring Man and Rex & Pyra are practically guarantees here. Both could provide new stages from their respective games. Regardless, there are 5 slots left for stages on that menu, and there's definitely the chance they could be added later, and weren't added now because they'd spoil the rest of the roster.

Either way, there's a reason those blank spots are there.

A Sora & Roxas newcomer and Echo combo would be pretty badass, and would give us a stage like Twilight Town. Not to say I think it's a likely scenario but I think it'd be cool.

EDIT: Another point I wanted to make despite it seeming as if most people have caught on. Echo fighters seems to be based on a character that comes from the same series. I don't see it often here, but there are plenty of people on other sites suggesting clones from completely different series.

If you ask me, Echo Fighters will be characters from the same series of their base series. So basically, no Jody Summer based on ZSS, or some other combination.

I thought this would be obvious, but apparently not. That isn't to say it COULDN'T happen, but I don't really see why it would at this point.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai makes games that make hundreds of thousands of people of all ages happy.

I'd like to think seeing reaction videos "gives him life", so to speak. :laugh:
It's the secret to his immortality, the happiness of his fans. How pleasant!
You can play Earthbound or Xenoblade Chronicles on the toilet if your bathroom is less than 27.5 feet away from the console and you don't own a New 3DS.
I hate how they built up the Wii U's second screen like you could go anywhere with it. I could only take it 5 inches away before it started messing up...

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Smash 4 isn't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be, but this game is making Smash 4 seem tiny in comparison.
Is there even a reason to use my Wii U anymore?
Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
The Wonderful 101
Original Splatoon

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet

Post Direct roster. I think 8 unique and 8 echoes. This would be pretty similar to what we got in Melee.

Unique:
-Inkling
-Ridley
-Simon Belmont
-King K. Rool
-Tapu Koko
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Geno

The focus seems to be on fan demand and aside from a Gen VII mon which almost guarnteed, the other newcomers are big names who have a shot. Do note they're all from already repped franchises. Since we don;t seem to be getting any more stages, I don't foresee a Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven character without a stage. All four of these newcomers have thing going for them. Between demand (Dee), Sakurai's history with wanting them (Geno), or do a lack of appearance thus far in game (Skull Kid).

Echoes:
-Daisy
-Richter Belmont
-Chrom
-Dark Samus
-Isabelle
-Shadow
-Impa
-Dixie Kong

We now know with Chrom and Dark Samus that echoes can have a bit more of a unique flair to them, which really helps Shadow and Dixie who I can see getting separate up specials as well as unique animations all around. Isabelle is on here partially cause of Verge and because she's popular. Impa is admittedly personal bias as with K. Rool and Ridley in, she's now my most wanted, but I think she meets all the criteria to be a Sheik echo.
I think this is pretty spot on. Can totally see this as the final roster, except potentially with Ken instead of Impa.

Shroob

Sup?

KA....ME.......HA.........ME.........

.....haHAA why do we keep seeing DragonBall references in everywhere we look.

We must be absolutely paranoid at this point.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I kinda mentioned this earlier, but I don't think Sakurai would give a "Total number of stages" list if they were adding more in the base game.

After referencing the "103 stages. We must be crazy", he mentioned music. He said, "This total is also Ultimate." He then listed over 800, and then over 900.

To me, this implies that characters added from this point forward wouldn't require a stage. This brings characters like a Pokemon, Isabelle, Shadow, Dixie Kong, Ken and even Geno to mind. Granted, I think we're obviously getting DLC for this game. In DLC, I think Spring Man and Rex & Pyra are practically guarantees here. Both could provide new stages from their respective games. Regardless, there are 5 slots left for stages on that menu, and there's definitely the chance they could be added later, and weren't added now because they'd spoil the rest of the roster.

Either way, there's a reason those blank spots are there.

A Sora & Roxas newcomer and Echo combo would be pretty badass, and would give us a stage like Twilight Town. Not to say I think it's a likely scenario but I think it'd be cool.
As much as it would suck to get Geno without a stage, I would honestly not mind as long as Square gave us "Beware the Forests Mushrooms" as a song.

I will only ask for one song because Square doesn't seem to want to license lots of music. But if we get Geno, we need this song.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Didn't he retweet one of Etika's reactions?

Such positive responses have to be encouraging.
I believe he did yeah.
When it comes to Smash I always watch Max's, Etika's, Shofu's, HMK's, and many others I can't remember right off the bat now… I guess I just watch too many of them lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I legit feel that the Villager become more popular because of Smash than AC itself lol. I do believe she is THE face of that game.
That’s most definitely the case
Didn't he retweet one of Etika's reactions?

Such positive responses have to be encouraging.
He retweeted the legendary Mewtwo reaction

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As much as it would suck to get Geno without a stage, I would honestly not mind as long as Square gave us "Beware the Forests Mushrooms" as a song.

I will only ask for one song because Square doesn't seem to want to license lots of music. But if we get Geno, we need this song.
I kinda think that Geno would end up being a special case haha.
I wanna say he's end up as a "Mario RPG" character.
Could be what that second Mushroom is in the sound test as opposed to Mario Kart (...But I doubt it).
There are a lot of songs from the various Mario RPGs that could be pulled into the game, like Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

There's some really great music that I just love, and would love to play Smash to. If not the actual track, some sort of remixes would be amazing.

Aside from Beware the Forest Mushrooms, there's the following:

All absolutely great tracks. I'd love if any one of these made it in somehow with Geno!

Noipoi

Howdy!
There's some really great music that I just love, and would love to play Smash to. If not the actual track, some sort of remixes would be amazing.

Aside from Beware the Forest Mushrooms, there's the following:

All absolutely great tracks. I'd love if any one of these made it in somehow with Geno!
While it would be nice, you know how Square is. Where lucky if we even get Beware the Forest Mushrooms.
They're extremely stingy with their songs.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, Isabelle was probably a bad leading example, but I really meant "recent discourse" anyway. I should have said that. A lot of the posts about her recently that I've seen have been "oh good, Loz has no idea, she's still on the table" and "Verg hasn't been wrooooong" and such, so I was trying to lead into a conversation on that and admittedly goofed up, but I do appreciate your insight on the others.
Well my mentality is we have a Smash game with every past character, Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool (and Simon who's cool but tbh w/e) and virtually all my favourite past stages and it all seems surreal af so I'm just along for the ride at this point. Even if this were it, I'd be set.

Maybe it's just because I've been doing this dance for so long, but with what we have now, I can't really be bothered to invest myself in text leaks from dubious sources. Especially when the only real answer comes by waiting.

Shroob

Sup?
I really wish we'd seen more Diddy in actual gameplay.

Even though we say "Diddy lost his tail attacks, Dixie can be more likely now"

....how do we know for certain?

It's not like Chrom and Dark Samus where 'something' felt odd about the E3 demo, we haven't seen enough Diddy gameplay to judge if he can still use his tail or not.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well my mentality is we have a Smash game with every past character, Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool (and Simon who's cool but tbh w/e) and virtually all my favourite past stages and it all seems surreal af so I'm just along for the ride at this point. Even if this were it, I'd be set.

Maybe it's just because I've been doing this dance for so long, but with what we have now, I can't really be bothered to invest myself in text leaks from dubious sources. Especially when the only real answer comes by waiting.
That's pretty much exactly how I think about it.

Well, besides the fact that I kinda am invested in how much I want Geno.

But other than that, yeah, that's pretty much spot on to me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really wish we'd seen more Diddy in actual gameplay.

Even though we say "Diddy lost his tail attacks, Dixie can be more likely now"

....how do we know for certain?

It's not like Chrom and Dark Samus where 'something' felt odd about the E3 demo, we haven't seen enough Diddy gameplay to judge if he can still use his tail or not.
We don't. All we know is his gentleman.

That said, I'd personally that echoes get the Falco treatment than the Dark Pit treatment.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Twili Midna as Zelda echo (with a different model for Phantom like a Zant head or idk)
Hadn't really considered that, but I'd be down.

Midna was always one of my favorites (I loved TP) until Urbosa came by to take that position. I think the imp form is more recognizable, but she would make a really cool Zelda echo. Definitely would prefer that to any other potential Zelda echo.
Do Echo Fighters have to be directly next to their original fighter, or can there be a line break between them? So far in every image that shows off what a mock-up of the current roster looks like, they're almost always next to one another.
Remember that fake leak that forgot ROB (and had Dragonborn)? He put a "Sort by number/Sort by series" there, most likely since the official site does that too. I'd love to be able to rearrange the CSS - seeing them not in series order irks me slightly.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's pretty much exactly how I think about it.

Well, besides the fact that I kinda am invested in how much I want Geno.

But other than that, yeah, that's pretty much spot on to me.
I still want a Gen 7 Pokemon, but besides that I agree as well. At this point i'm just along for Sakurai's wild ride.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Mario icons.png

So I saw this on 4chan and I've been thinking about it for a while, but why does Mario have two icons here? I don't see a reason to why they couldn't fit all the mario songs together.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I still feel like if Dixie were in she'd have been seen in K. Rool's trailer.

It was the Kongs versus their greatest nemesis.

The only thing I can think of is Sakurai has made her a semi-clone or something and she's getting her own trailer later where she has to save Diddy and Dixie from K. Rool like in DKC3.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
View attachment 156994
So I saw this on 4chan and I've been thinking about it for a while, but why does Mario have two icons here? I don't see a reason to why they couldn't fit all the mario songs together.
A lot of people say the second one is for things like Mario Kart.

I personally like to think it's a special slot for tracks from Mario RPG games (the Paper Mario stage has a Mushroom icon, so why not?)

We won't know for sure until it releases, but it's likely that it's for Mario Kart songs.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
No effing way.

How can you say this gorgeous foxy pokemon is ugly? It is just perfect.
I don't mind Delphox, it was my 2nd favorite Starter(1st was Greninja forgive me), however Braixen is everyone's favorite and more popular (she also another favorite double forgive me)
You forgot the "Combined". :laugh:

A Cutlass isn't that different from a Short Sword, in terms of game logic.

She's have to lose the Bow, but what do you replace it with? *think emote*

Also, Ravio as a Young Link Echo (also, a missed keystroke pointed out to me that it should be "Rabio" as in, "Rabbit", 'cause he has a Rabbit hood).
I wouldn't mind Tetra being an echo if it means she gets in though being a unique character would be nice. As for her bow, Sakurai would probably say "screw it" and give her, her flintlock pistol with magic water bullets.
So… If Shovel Knight is ruled out as the indie character we could've gotten as playable… What other indie character with high demand do you think could be the lucky one? I honestly think Shantae would be the one (plus whatever that codename leak was about, which i think it's fake but it talked about ponytail as one of them, and somehow i don't think it meant Dixie…)
High demand indie characters would be Shantae, Reimu, and Quote.

Note if Quote is playable, he better have Curly Brace as an alt or an echo.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
6 most wanted newcomers:
Banjo-Kazooie
Shantae
Glover
Rayman
Chibi-Robo
Agumon

(I assumed disconfirmed characters were out, otherwise Ashley and Waluigi would be in there)

Pokemon for each gen:
1. Haunter, Gengar, or Kabutops
2. Feraligatr
3. Gardevoir
4. Darkrai
5. Genesect
6. Sylveon, Braixen, or Delphox
7. Salazzle

Shroob

Sup?
I still feel like if Dixie were in she'd have been seen in K. Rool's trailer.

It was the Kongs versus their greatest nemesis.

The only thing I can think of is Sakurai has made her a semi-clone or something and she's getting her own trailer later where she has to save Diddy and Dixie from K. Rool like in DKC3.
Eh, I don't think that's necessary. I honestly feel like Echoes can be shown off separate from their main series, like Dark Samus, or how Daisy was the first Echo shown but we still think Geno's in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 156994
It's funny how Sakurai (or whoever is manipulating it) actively avoids going to the second one.
My bet is that it's a placeholder.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Assuming all the past music comes back, this game is just a Jungle Hijinx, Fan Item and Hitmonlee Pokeball Pokemon away from being perfect. I need nothing else, and yet there's still more to come.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
View attachment 156994
Usually Mario has so many songs they put Mario Kart in its own category.

...Even though Mario Kart only has like 10 songs.

Could it be...
GENO???
Seriously, I dunno.
Unless Square gets really nitpicky, Geno will probably just be a Mario character and get his music shoved with the rest like Paper Mario and Dr. Mario music.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My friend and I were talking about what if they pull a complete curveball and reveal Toad after all- in Wart's reveal trailer.

:wario:

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
High demand indie characters would be Shantae, Reimu, and Quote.
Personally, Quote is the indie rep I would love to see the most, since Cave Story is the game that kind of ushered in the golden age of indie games, his games have been consistently released on Nintendo consoles, and he's got tons of moveset potential.

Shroob

Sup?
Waitaminute, so the new icons are in for Ultimate Mains, but not on the website yet to use in messages?

Smashboards plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom