• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As of right now, how is everyone's Want Lists looking?

Wolf
Snake
Ice Climbers
King K. Rool
Dark Samus

Decidueye (or any decent 7th Genner)
Rex & Pyra
An ARMS character

It should be noted, I did want Chrom during SSB4...
Ice Climbers
Waluigi (I still have hope)
Impa
Captain Toa
Gonna be optimistic and suggest between 5-10. Echoes are gonna make up the majority of that.
Honestly I'm leaning a bit more towards 12 myself. Like you said, Mostly echoes.
Sakurai's a man of many wonders. So i have my expectations high.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
But Chrom is a Roy echo.

We can still get Black Knight.
I vote for him being the Chrom opposite (mostly Ike with a slow Double-Edge Dance, Eclipse, as his Side Special)

Chrom is mostly Roy, except he has Aether and no tipper.
Black Knight only needs a warp Up B and he'd be very well represented. If he's in I hope he has a Zelgius alt without the helmet and dented armor to match Ike's RD look.

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
Ranking the characters by frequency of which I will probably play from most to least

Mains:

Toon Link: My Main, when im gonna seriously put the most time into him to play competitively, on and offline

Inkling: Same as Toon Link, also looks like a really good character assuming no nerfs

Secondaries:

Pokemon Trainer: probably my most-played secondary I have wanted them all back together and each Pokemon looks like they have a different purpose in their respective movesets

Pac-Man: Looks really good with his buffs, and personally nostalgic to him

Captain Falcon: Can never go wrong with him, he always has a generally high tier list placement, not to mention a good up-close character

Pocket:

Simon Belmont: My Most wanted Character since Brawl, No doubt have to try him after that trailer

For Fun:

Mario: My childhood main from Melee, probably not gonna put a lot of time into him competitively, but he's always decent to me for friendly sets and just playing with my friends

Ike: A nice Heavy character, good specials, good smash attacks, probably would of pocketed had Simon not been in.

Sonic: just pure fun and memes

Richter Belmont: Dont really care for him, may try him casually but hes basically the same as Simon so.

Little Mac: HE HAS KO PUNCH ! in all seriousness his buffs dont seem that substantial but I liked the way he felt on the ground in Smash 4

Luigi: Whenever I want to troll my friends with an Up B.

Ridley: Seems fun especially with his damage potential

Peach: A mans gotta enjoy a woman in a dress sometimes

Daisy: Same reason as peach.

ROB: Really underrated character IMO seems the same as he was in smash 4 so why not.

Mega Man: Good character, a little awkward in 4 but once you get used to him hes pretty fun with all the robot master specials

Pit: Liking his buffs

Pichu: Just the joke character even to the devs, not gonna bother too much

Bayo: I want to win legitmately (assuming she isnt nerfed)

Dark Pit: **** Him, in all seriousness he is just a meme character to me, no importance, hes basically pit if he wore black

The rest of the cast: Best roster in a smash game ever, I will probably try each character at least once.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Speaking of this, I would have really liked if Chrom had a trailer and killed Captain Falcon. "GUESS WHO IS BACK!!! TODAY I WILL GET MY CHANCE!!!!"
Or at the very least he could have had his newcomer screen say "Chrom Finally Gets His Chance!"

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Wolf
Snake
Ice Climbers
King K. Rool
Dark Samus

Rex & Pyra
An ARMS character

Oh there's so many!
Ice Climbers
Snake
King K. Rool

Rayman
Dixie Kong
Rhythm Heaven character
Banjo-Kazooie

Huh. That's it for me! Honestly, if they actually add in all of these characters, I wouldn't need another Smash.
I'd probably faint from hype if I got Rayman and Banjo ALONG with K. Rool.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Speaking of this, I would have really liked if Chrom had a trailer and killed Captain Falcon. "GUESS WHO IS BACK!!! TODAY I WILL GET MY CHANCE!!!!"
Falcon and Palutena killed by the hands of a vengeful Chrom

KMDP

Smash Legend
Black Knight only needs a warp Up B and he'd be very well represented. If he's in I hope he has a Zelgius alt without the helmet and dented armor to match Ike's RD look.
Eclipse is Black Knight's signature move (literally, it's a skill only he can have), while it could be his Final Smash (and should be, really. XD) it could also work as a Special.

Also, yes, he should have Warp; I hadn't thought about the fact that, unlike Chrom, Zelgius can't use Aether.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Had a thought. what if the early leaker saw the artwork done for K. Rools trailer and that's where the "There's a Heroes & Villains theme" thing came from.

As BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 said, speculators seem to be going quiet as time goes on. I'm still doing predictions, but that's just because I love doing that kind of thing.

Either the speculators are going quiet because they got what they want (Ridley) or Sakurai's original comment ("don't expect too many new fighters") has lowered some people's enthusiasm for speculation.
Oh, I was just referencing your love for Tails. I can't be too optimistic for him, but I think he would be nice if he were added.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Where'd you get that from?

Sakurai said himself it's not going to be the last, what he did say was that there won't be another for a while.
There is no smash after ultimate. Just ultimate. Ported forever and ever.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Newcomer ranking so far? Sure.

1.K.Rool
2.Ridley
3.Inkling
4.Simon/Ritcher
5.Chrom
6.Dark Samus
7.Daisy

Unlike 4, none have particularly made me angry so far, even Daisy at worst suprised me.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I wish Chrom and Dark Samus got newcomer tags, there was a lot of potential for a few good puns. I'd say that "all Echoes get generic taglines" but Richter got "Crosses over", so maybe it's only a first-party thing.

Chrom "Gets his chance!" "Carries the day!" "Changes his fate!"

Just one of those low-effort things were you wonder why it'd be left out if it doesn't take away from anything else.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
There is no smash after ultimate.
Well, in my opinion, I see Ultimate as Sakurai's swan song for the series. Giving the fans all the most-wanted (unironic) requests, bringing all of the characters he worked on back, majority of stages, music, etc. returning. It's like a celebration of all he's achieved in the past 20 years before letting a newer developer take the reins a la Zelda and Mario. I'd certainly support it considering these games will be the end of him eventually.

Then again, Sakurai has stated Nintendo commissions him to do Smash Bros, so maybe he'll be directing Smash Bros for Nintendo Crossbearer seven years down the line.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Wolf
Snake
Ice Climbers
King K. Rool
Dark Samus

Rex & Pyra
An ARMS character

Here are the 14 character that are in my signature.

1) Snake
2) Elma
3) Simon Belmont
4) King K. Rool
5) Takamaru
6) Bomberman
7) Rex & Pyra
8) Decidueye
9) Bandana Dee
10) Ice Climbers
11) Captain Toad
12) Wolf
13) Shantae
14) Daitoryo

5 in, 2 out, the rest still up in the air. So far I love this game, and if they just add Elma the roster would be an 11 out of 10 for me. They could even add in Jean-Francois the Hedgehog as the 6th Sonic echo and I would not complain.

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I wish Chrom and Dark Samus got newcomer tags, there was a lot of potential for a few good puns. I'd say that "all Echoes get generic taglines" but Richter got "Crosses over", so maybe it's only a first-party thing.

Chrom "Gets his chance!" "Carries the day!" "Changes his fate!"

Just one of those low-effort things were you wonder why it'd be left out if it doesn't take away from anything else.
DARK SAMUS EXACTS IT'S PRIME REVENGE!

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
In the context of echo fighters, he is basically dark sonic. Cheap. Give him his signature skate walk, make him edgy and put his gun in his taunt. Cheap echo. Like chrom.
Yet all of the Echo Fighters have different properties for some moves (Chrom's Neutral Special having no flames, Richter's Holy Water seems different) and potentially other moves that aren't 100% the same as the original's (Electroshock Arm instead of Upperdash Arm, a faster Aether instead of a flameless Blazer). If Shadow were to have some attacks imbued with Chaos Energy, along with using the boosters in his shoes for kick attacks, and used Chaos Control for his Up Special (and though I doubt it'll happen I'd love to see him have Chaos Spear as a side special that's similar to Lucas' PK Fire), he'd be more interesting than just basically Dark Sonic. Then again, we could end up getting Metal Sonic, for all we know.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
You know why Skull Kid and not Midna? Heroes vs Vill-

In all honesty, he's dark and beloved as a classic character to the fans of the earlier games, and it doesn't help Midna's case that Majora's Mask is infamous on the internet, and rather iconic in general.

As for the character trailers and who should be in them next?

Link and Yoshi would be a nice callback to Subspace, whime Ness and Captain Falcon is a personal crack pairing I've always liked because I think Falcon feeling like he needs to protect the kid, only to find out that the kid is perhaps a psychic to rival even Mewtwo who can fend for himself is pretty fun.

Plus, it's physicality and mentality combined into a singular unit.

Although the implication that one would have to die isn't suiting well, especially if they got their villains. I don't think Porky/Giygas nor Black Shadow will hold back at all.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The reason why people are speculating GOKU is because the last scene in K. Rool has nearly the same exact setting as GOKU vs Android 17 in Super. Sunset and everything; look it up.

Thank me later.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There is no smash after ultimate. Just ultimate. Ported forever and ever.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe Edition
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Alpha
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate EX
Super Smash Bros. Super Ultimate
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate The New Challengers
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Turbo
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate xrd
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ultimax
Hyper Smash Bros. Ultimate

You did this, you brought this into the world, drag0nscythe.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So I have a question for those who think Skull Kid has a chance, or even those who don't.

I'm assuming most people think he got in because of his popularity and that he probably did at least decent-great on the ballot. 2 of the 4 unique newcomers have also been all time wants . But here's my question, why Skull Kid and not Midna?

Imo she has everything Skull Kid has, and even has better moveset potential. But clearly she wasn't chosen and Skull Kid is still no where to be seen. Thoughts?
The simple answer to that question is that Skull Kid trumps Midna by miles, being the most requested Zelda newcomer ever since Brawl. When it came to popular characters in the period of Brawl speculation, Skull Kid and Geno get frequently mentioned non-stop. He was at the very top of Smash VG Tribune poll that was sent to Sakurai during the time of Smash 4 project planning, outclassing even Ghirahim in the finals. The number of requests Skull Kid has is not to be underestimated.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yet all of the Echo Fighters have different properties for some moves (Chrom's Neutral Special having no flames, Richter's Holy Water seems different) and potentially other moves that aren't 100% the same as the original's (Electroshock Arm instead of Upperdash Arm, a faster Aether instead of a flameless Blazer). If Shadow were to have some attacks imbued with Chaos Energy, along with using the boosters in his shoes for kick attacks, and used Chaos Control for his Up Special (and though I doubt it'll happen I'd love to see him have Chaos Spear as a side special that's similar to Lucas' PK Fire), he'd be more interesting than just basically Dark Sonic. Then again, we could end up getting Metal Sonic, for all we know.
Or be like daisy, different animations.

All echos are cheap and built from other characters in their series. Nothing really unique.

So. Dark edgy sonic with gub taunt.

D

Deleted member

You know, on those leaks.

They said Skull Kid would be in. But what if he's in....

... as a boss character for the Adventure Mode?

Rathalos basically confirms bosses are coming back in some for (Boss Rush please), in a unique game mode a bit different from how they showed up in 4 as stage hazards. So what if Stage Hazzard bosses like Dracula, Yellow Devil, Metal Face, etc... all show up as bosses in their own mode, and we get more unique bosses for set-pieces in the Adventure mode like how Brawl did it kinda. Rathalos seems to fit the bill, and it seems to me Skull Kid could make a good one for Zelda. He'd be fun to fight as a boss. Even turns into Majora over the fight. Would open the door for more franchise-based bosses too. Eggman would be SUPER sick. Fawful as well...

Thoughts? I mean, leaks said he MIGHT be in, which the vagueness seems to imply he might not be a playable character, but something else. And there are hints of a Boss Rush mode coming back, to tie up the seeming Adventure bosses.

I mean, Rathalos has to fit SOMEWHERE.

EDIT: HOLY **** I JUST REALIZED WE COULD HAVE SEPHIROTH AS A BOSS!! HOLY **** YES! I SO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!

Maybe they could add One WInged Angel in too!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe Edition
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Alpha
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate EX
Super Smash Bros. Super Ultimate
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate The New Challengers
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Turbo
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate xrd
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Ultimax
Hyper Smash Bros. Ultimate

You did this, you brought this into the world, drag0nscythe.
Ultimate Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
My newcomer ranking:

1. King K Rool
2. Richter
3. Simon
4. Ridley
5. Daisy
6. Inkling
7. Chrom
8. Dark Samus

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You know, on those leaks.

They said Skull Kid would be in. But what if he's in....

... as a boss character for the Adventure Mode?

Rathalos basically confirms bosses are coming back in some for (Boss Rush please), in a unique game mode a bit different from how they showed up in 4 as stage hazards. So what if Stage Hazzard bosses like Dracula, Yellow Devil, Metal Face, etc... all show up as bosses in their own mode, and we get more unique bosses for set-pieces in the Adventure mode like how Brawl did it kinda. Rathalos seems to fit the bill, and it seems to me Skull Kid could make a good one for Zelda. He'd be fun to fight as a boss. Even turns into Majora over the fight. Would open the door for more franchise-based bosses too. Eggman would be SUPER sick. Fawful as well...

Thoughts? I mean, leaks said he MIGHT be in, which the vagueness seems to imply he might not be a playable character, but something else. And there are hints of a Boss Rush mode coming back, to tie up the seeming Adventure bosses.

I mean, Rathalos has to fit SOMEWHERE.

EDIT: HOLY **** I JUST REALIZED WE COULD HAVE SEPHIROTH AS A BOSS!! HOLY **** YES! I SO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!

Maybe they could add One WInged Angel in too!!
I could see him as a boss. A boss rush with the brawl bosses. New ones. Like an event mode. Would love that.

Enchess

Smash Lord
So I have a question for those who think Skull Kid has a chance, or even those who don't.

I'm assuming most people think he got in because of his popularity and that he probably did at least decent-great on the ballot. 2 of the 4 unique newcomers have also been all time wants . But here's my question, why Skull Kid and not Midna?

Imo she has everything Skull Kid has, and even has better moveset potential. But clearly she wasn't chosen and Skull Kid is still no where to be seen. Thoughts?
Would be happy to get Skull Kid even though I don't think either deserve it. Why? I love Skull Kid and MM, hate Twilight Princess. That's all.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Seriously though, "Super Smash Bros. War" would be a great title.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Tp was a fun game. Nothing special, but fun.
I actually agree with this. My hate for TP comes from Smash Bros. I was salty to have my least favorite Link, least favorite Zelda, and least favorite Ganondorf designs all be used still (EDIT: still in Sm4sh. I thought they'd change it for that game but they didn't). Plus Bridge of Eldin sucks and my friends love it and made me play it every other round haha

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If you could add any combination (3 echos, 1 unique or 2 unique, 2 echos, etc) of 4 character, who would you add?
For me, all of my wants:
  1. Dovahkiin
  2. Urbosa
  3. Tails
  4. Buzzwole/Decidueye/Spring Man
Yeah, I don’t really have more than a solid top 3 anymore...
How many of you that frequent this thread share newcomer predictions here? Lately, I have been seeing less and less people willing to predict, with a decreasing number roster speculators over time. There used to be a lot of predictions prior to the Smash Ultimate reveal, but now it is just kind of silent. Who is still predicting?
I’ve come to the conclusion that I cannot predict anything to save my life. Smash 4, I thought it was finally Ridley’s time and Mewtwo was guaranteed after Brawl cut him. I though K. Rool was a lock for DLC. And I was sorely disappointed by the final product.

This round, I’m a bit more cautious. For E3, it was obvious that they’d announce Takamaru sonce Sakurai liked hom and he’s a Japan exclusive. Unfortunately for me, he said that Ridley would not fit. For yesterday’s announcement, it seemed poor form to announce a western villain like K. Rool since Ridley’d just been announced, so Ashley was the obvious lock.

Well... I’m not sad to be wrong this time...

I do have a few predictions - namely Isabelle - but Sakurai’s breaking all of the rules we made up this time. I just hope I’m also completely wrong about thinking that the Dragonborn won’t be in, but I feel like I finally got something right with that.

I think a lot of people switched to Skull Kid when he survived the first purge. Not that he hasn’t always had a fanbase - that very fanbase definitely made itself known during the Hyrule Warriors DLC phase (especially when Tingle got in before him) - but since there are a lot of one-timers in the Zelda series, it’s harder to see a solid support base than for someone like Ridley vs. anyone else from Metroid.

I was definitely on the Midna train - she’d be my favorite Zelda side character if a certain Chieftainess hadn’t snapped that spot from her. Still, I’ve settled with her assist. Urbosa’s too new and too connected to the other three champions to consider, so Skull Kid seems the next best choice for a Zelda rep. Not to mention that, out of six Zelda characters, there are only three unique movesets (Link and two semi-clones, Zelda, and Shiek, with a Captain Falcon semi-clone) and three unique characters (three different Links, two forms of Zelda, and the Dorf). Skull Kid would bring something unique into the series, from a classic game (that did get better with time - Ocarina is a hard act to follow). Impa is the other big name for the potential Zelda rep, but would most likely end up as a Sheik echo, and the Zelda series has hit critical mass on clones.

On that note: ‘Zelda rep’ is a poor concept since the side characters are so varied. Sakurai put in Cloud since loads of people wanted a Final Fantasy rep, and he was the most requested. However, I think most of the Zelda characters supported don’t necessarily overlap just because they’re Zelda: for me personally, Mipha’s personality grates and she also is direct competition for my favorite, I have zero connection to the handheld only characters, and Tingle is horrific - I would not be satisfied with getting just any Zelda rep just for the sake of representation. But everyone also has their own views as well; apologies to those who do support the characters I don’t like.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I actually agree with this. My hate for TP comes from Smash Bros. I was salty to have my least favorite Link, least favorite Zelda, and least favorite Ganondorf designs all be used still (EDIT: still in Sm4sh. I thought they'd change it for that game but they didn't). Plus Bridge of Eldin sucks and my friends love it and made me play it every other round haha
Havn't played it, but hey, at least they gave us a cool companion this time.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly after this direct I think Geno is a shoe-in which I’m excited for, and I think Skull Kid might actually have a decent shot at being playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom