• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Y'know, looking back at it, does Final Destination look smaller to anyone else, or is it just me?
It did. Maybe it's intentional

Seperate it from Battlegrounds. Make the battle on it seem more desperate

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I said this on the writers discord, but I really wanted King K Rool, but even then it was only because I liked the character-- I didn't think I was going to like his play style.

But then that butthole got a counter.

SIGN ME UP.

*me patiently waiting for Smashboards to add the new character icons*

You mean the stomach counter?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Finally have internet that doesn’t suck here in the Land Down Under. And holy ****. Finally watched the direct! That was some pretty crazy ****!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since battlegrounds has an omega form and final destination has a battlegrounds form, they had to figure out a way to differenciate them

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
One thing to note is that I also saw the fair angled downwards so it could potentially be angled slightly
I mean that's what i meant. I thought i saw Simon's angled down a bit whereas Richter's was pure horizontal. I haven't tried to chart out every use of every move for them at this point so maybe it's actually variable, but an angle-able aerial would certainly be a smash first whereas it just having a different angle for the echo pair would be pretty standard (and meta significant!).

I was just hesitant to use the term angle because it's usually used to mean launch angle, but in this case, it's the angle at which a weapon is deployed.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm pretty sure the whole 103 stage thing is a "as of right now" type thing. If there isn't anymore stages to be revealed I'm gonna have an OCD conundrum considering all those open spaces at the bottom.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I seriously believe Simon and Richter have a Marth/Lucina or Roy/Chrom difference going on, if it's just nothing different and for the sake of an animation I will quite literally use "wasted" and "slot" in the same sentence.

Because I will never forget the injustice that has been done to :4alph:and i dont even play pikmin
Gonna just say it now: Louie will probs get in as an Echo using the titan dweevil for his final smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here you go:
Good, now just edit the scene where Luigi ****ing dies and replace it with Lyn

Gonna just say it now: Louie will probs get in as an Echo using the titan dweevil for his final smash.
That would enrage me. I don't hate Louie, but the fact that Alph is still a costume even though there is literally no reason for him to be one just makes me go hold the A key on my keyboard

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i just want the final roster for ultimate (including DLC) is an even numbered roster.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think 103 is final and that space will be used down the road for DLC. They wouldn't have presented 103 in the way they did if it were a number in flux.

Related, if your favorite newcomer hope is from a series not currently known to be in Smash, good luck with that. The only character who does not have a stage from its series in is R.O.B. who is clearly a very special sort of character and "the exception that proves the rule".

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still really bugged by Mute City now.

There ****ing has to be a reason they decided to name the 3DS one the way it is, because unless we're getting a new Mute City, it makes 0 sense for why they'd feel the name to differentiate Mute City 3DS from a stage that's not even in the game, you'd just name it 'Mute City' and be done.

Something smells fishy, and it's not me, I actually bathe I swear.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We got a bunch of old stages as DLC in Smash 4 so that could happen again. Also really look at the total number of stages NOT returning. It seems likely the original plan was to bring back every stage and that proved unrealistic for various reasons so a few got cut, but there are no doubt stages of the design that included every smash stage ever and thus every stage was named in a way to disambiguate from every other stage. Re-using names for stages that are different is something that has been pesky in the past anyway so they probably wanted to make that easier on everyone.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why Pac Land and not Pac Maze though?

To me that was an off choice.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

There ****ing has to be a reason they decided to name the 3DS one the way it is, because unless we're getting a new Mute City, it makes 0 sense for why they'd feel the name to differentiate Mute City 3DS from a stage that's not even in the game, you'd just name it 'Mute City' and be done.

Mute City (SNES)
Mute City (N64) (AKA Melee)
Mute City (GCN)
Mute City (GBA) ft. Black Shadow

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Good, now just edit the scene where Luigi ****ing dies and replace it with Lyn

That would enrage me. I don't hate Louie, but the fact that Alph is still a costume even though there is literally no reason for him to be one just makes me go hold the A key on my keyboard
Uh, there is, kinda. Similar to the koopalings, they don’t have different animations. Victory ones? Sure maybe, but beyond that, it’s the same.

I think that’s fine for Alph, if his fate is an alt costume again. Louie, on the other hand, would need that final smash change and potentially a hit box change

(Also we don’t know how it’ll show up on the select)

I think 103 is final and that space will be used down the road for DLC. They wouldn't have presented 103 in the way they did if it were a number in flux.

Related, if your favorite newcomer hope is from a series not currently known to be in Smash, good luck with that. The only character who does not have a stage from its series in is R.O.B. who is clearly a very special sort of character and "the exception that proves the rule".
Iunno, because, 1.

and #2 is I’m still suspect. Like, four new stages? It wouldn’t be the weirdest thing Smash has done, or even close, but I think there’s at least DLC being planned for sure, unlike what Bill and Sakurai stated.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why Pac Land and not Pac Maze though?

To me that was an off choice.
I speculated earlier that it may be due to complications with the Stage Morph system. It's why some of us think the Wii U DK stage that let you traverse the background is omitted as well. Something I'm curious about with Stage Morph is how the Switch doesn't melt when you use it. I mean, you got two stages simultaneously plus a background and (if need be) hazards.

Uh, there is, kinda. Similar to the koopalings, they don’t have different animations. Victory ones? Sure maybe, but beyond that, it’s the same.

I think that’s fine for Alph, if his fate is an alt costume again. Louie, on the other hand, would need that final smash change and potentially a hit box change.
Alph was the lone victim in "hey everyone who gets an alternate costume is now a real character! except you **** you", and then he got hit again in the new one. I would be fine with it if Rock Pikmin didn't exist.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not familiar with Dark Samus, but since I've played as Samus since N64 I'll check 'er out

I haven't played the Prime series.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Since battlegrounds has an omega form and final destination has a battlegrounds form, they had to figure out a way to differenciate them
Isn't this actually the opposite of what happened? Final Destination has always been wider than Battlefield, but now FD and BF look identical in size, it's just one has platforms and the other doesn't.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not familiar with Dark Samus, but since I've played as Samus since N64 I'll check 'er out
I mean she's a clone, I don't think that translates well into what she's like in Prime. Just expect Samus but she can float. I'm curious about what her difference is from Samus, because it isn't Chrom where we can guess what it is on a whim.

I think they mean how Dark Samus's animations in general give off a more phantom-y feel than Samus.
I mean I get that but she's usually just floating. The only other difference I spot is that DS doesn't hold the arm cannon for missiles or Phazon shots.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think they mean how Dark Samus's animations in general give off a more phantom-y feel than Samus.
Pretty much. Dark Samus moves in a very floaty, smooth and creepish way. They absolutely nailed it. If you haven't played the Prime games you wouldn't really "get" how important that is.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
So I think maybe we will be getting more characters then I thought. Seems like we will be getting a lot of echo fighters. I think Isabelle, Shadow The Hedgehog and Ms. Pac-Man are highly probable. Maybe we will get Funky Kong as well.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Honestly, we may get to the point where echo fighter means "clones added in smash ultimate + dark pit and lucina". Getting harder and harder to pin rules on these guys.
Supposedly, the primary factor that separate Echoes from clones is that Echoes have the exact same weight, size, & movement parameters as their parent character unlike clones.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't this actually the opposite of what happened? Final Destination has always been wider than Battlefield, but now FD and BF look identical in size, it's just one has platforms and the other doesn't.
I dunno, you could be right. I didn't really check out the sizes of them.

That's disappointing if true

I probably should have compared them before theorizing. It just looked super small form the trailer.

If I want Battlefield or Final Destination I'll be playing on alternate forms of Magicant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom