• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
*sigh* Look, Super Mario RPG was under MAJOR supervision by Nintendo, so even though Square developed the game (and created Boshi), they still didn't have creative control over the "Mario universe" rules at the time. Boshi is officially a Blue Yoshi
>official
>it's a spinoff with rights owned by a separate company
1513673812741.png
I'm not gonna argue over a color, just agree to disagree.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
*sigh* Look, Super Mario RPG was under MAJOR supervision by Nintendo, so even though Square developed the game (and created Boshi), they still didn't have creative control over the "Mario universe" rules at the time. Boshi is officially a Blue Yoshi
Jeez, dude, you're gettin' pretty heated over this really, really insignificant issue.

Also when is the next time we'll see a character? Math is useless when it comes to such a small sample size of 3 Directs. We know this isn't the last Smash Direct but I think we're gonna get one every month.

We only have 3 months and it's safe to assume there won't be a Direct in December.
I think we might see another Robin/Lucina situation sometime next month, where they don't even bother with a Direct and just give us the reveal trailer.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Realistically speaking, wouldn’t Yoshi colors be on a continuous spectrum, like human skin tones IRL? It’s just that humans have a natural tendency to categorize things, hence the limited number of “official” Yoshi colors, even if such categorizations are thus inaccurate.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Realistically speaking, wouldn’t Yoshi colors be on a continuous spectrum, like human skin tones IRL? It’s just that humans have a natural tendency to categorize things, hence the limited number of “official” Yoshi colors, even if such categorizations are thus inaccurate.
Yoshi's aren't real

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Also when is the next time we'll see a character? Math is useless when it comes to such a small sample size of 3 Directs. We know this isn't the last Smash Direct but I think we're gonna get one every month.

We only have 3 months and it's safe to assume there won't be a Direct in December.
If I think small, we'll probably get a general direct next month. The online service launches in September, so I can see them doing a general direct for that, and I'd expect one character trailer there.

Beyond that, I'd guess another Smash direct just before release in November, with a bunch of characters.

As to whether we'll get anything between September and November, though... It really depends on how many characters there are.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
If I think small, we'll probably get a general direct next month. The online service launches in September, so I can see them doing a general direct for that, and I'd expect one character trailer there.

Beyond that, I'd guess another Smash direct just before release in November, with a bunch of characters.

As to whether we'll get anything between September and November, though... It really depends on how many characters there are.
Sakurai said in the Direct that they'd talk about Single Player, AKA Spirits, another time. Definitely gonna have to get info on that. I think Smash is gonna have a smaller segment in the next Direct.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

My guess would be an October Direct as the last real direct before release, and it being mostly a dump of remaining Echo fighters and that one mode not shown.

Seeing how we got five characters in this one, one more direct should cover all the remaining characters

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I looked up some ideas about spirits and this is my favorite interpretation and seems quite feasible.

Spirits is where you collect the spirits of the fighters from the villains and bosses. The characters themselves will also be enemies until you retrieve their souls to add them to your team.

This will not include the starting 8 characters, obviously.

The thing that absolutely sells this idea to me is that characters have been getting killed in these trailers. Luigi died. It isn’t clear he made it back to his body. Mega man definitely died being impaled by Ridley.

Mario, however, seems like he was only slapped. Samus is shown to survive Ridley’s onslaught.

Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong is unclear, but we’d be assuming Donkey makes it and Diddy doesn’t.

What do you think?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My idea for spirits is all the character get together at the local bar and have a big celebration

Spirits all around

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
I hope Chrom's sword does balanced damage like Lucina's. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

It'd also make Chrom better than Roy :troll:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Yoshi's aren't real
Fictional species and real life logic aren't mutually exclusive except when specifically stated otherwise.
(Since Mario doesn't really have a particularly well defined canon, though, no theory can be either confirmed or denied, so this whole thing is just kinda pointless... ahh well, whatever...)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well if we look at the trails left behind Roy and Chriom's sword swings it looks like Chrom has balanced damage too
I wonder what the difference will be between Simon and Richter. It obviously can't be weight nor speed, because then Dr. Mario would be brought up again.

That means we're due for another one soon, why would Nintendo go a general Direct without Smash?
because they just had one
i dont understand what youre saying

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder what the difference will be between Simon and Richter. It obviously can't be weight nor speed, because then Dr. Mario would be brought up again.

because they just had one
i dont understand what youre saying
The direct made it sound like the only differences between them are animations

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That means we're due for another one soon, why would Nintendo go a general Direct without Smash?
They wouldn't.

This direct is like the Smash Bros. Direct that revealed Charizard and Greninja. I'm sure we'll be seeing Smash Bros. in every Direct from now until release.

Nintendo STILL needs to tell us about their online service that launches in a little over a month, so I'd expect by mid-September at the latest. I think we'll get a character reveal or two and that's it. Spirits will be talked about in a Smash Bros. Direct before release (sometime in October/November).

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I find this picture on the Smash site interesting:

This shows characters can have palettes based on their Echoes, which could mean Galacta Knight still has a chance to be a Meta Knight Echo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The direct made it sound like the only differences between them are animations
Then what would be the point of making an Echo if you're just gonna make it an alt. with new animations? There will probably be some knockback involved. Maybe it's a Marth thing where Simon or Richter has a sweetspot at the mace of the chain and its balanced on the other.

This shows characters can have palettes based on their Echoes, which could mean Galacta Knight still has a chance to be a Meta Knight Echo.
Or maybe it's just Simon's blue alt.
Marth had an alternate costume for Roy, but did he show up in base Smash 4?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

It could be based on this design

Super_Castlevania_IV_-_(JP)_-_01.jpg

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I honestly feel like Nintendo needs to come out with a general Direct still, if only to tell us more about, and convince us on, Nintendo Online, plus more on the other games coming at the end of this year. And that needs to happen, like, next month the latest, right? No doubt Smash is going to be a big seller for the online service, so it would definitely make an appearance in that Direct as well. Since Sakurai wants to show us all the fighters before the game releases, the pace they show them at depends on how many newcomers there are.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Considering the Moon assist trophy, Toon Link, etc.

I don't think it necessarily negates or rules a character out to be on a stage and also have another role in the game.

Hell if Skull Kid rumor/leak is true then Moon is present three times most likely.

And I doubt Moon being an assist would mean anything for Skull Kid's possible Final Smash.

Remember there's a smaller version of Olimar's Final Smash as an item.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Chrom is still in Robin's FS but also playable.
Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t against Tails fighting (though I’m more for Shadow and Amy), but him showing up at GHZ and not having too much of a role decreases his chances in Smash (and Knuckles replacing Shadow as an AT can’t just be a coincidence)

Ivander

Smash Legend

That, my friend, is actually based on Super Castlevania IV Simon Belmont.

Edit: I got ninja'd.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In smash hitboxes (which are actually hitbubbles; they're spheres) are tied to bones on a character's model during animations, not arbitrary points in space. If you change how an attack animates, you change where it hits and also where the attacker can be hit. The only difference between Richter and Simon could very well be animations, but it could easily affect things like the exact angle at which the whip moves (I could swear Richter's fair had the whip a little higher) and the priority of a ton of things and such that would actually work out to be meaningful. Neither Lucina or Dark Pit have actually different animations from their base characters on actual moves, but if Simon/Richter do it's a big deal.

On a vaguely related note, I have to comment with just how generally awesome Simon/Richter look from a gameplay perspective. Super long range normals with good projectiles, a zair, a completely normal grab, and several normals that have special mobility functions. Oh yes please. That's such a powerful core design, and it sounds super fun. They're near the top of the list of characters I'm giving a very serious competitive look very early.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
In smash hitboxes (which are actually hitbubbles; they're spheres) are tied to bones on a character's model during animations, not arbitrary points in space. If you change how an attack animates, you change where it hits and also where the attacker can be hit. The only difference between Richter and Simon could very well be animations, but it could easily affect things like the exact angle at which the whip moves (I could swear Richter's fair had the whip a little higher) and the priority of a ton of things and such that would actually work out to be meaningful. Neither Lucina or Dark Pit have actually different animations from their base characters on actual moves, but if Simon/Richter do it's a big deal.

On a vaguely related note, I have to comment with just how generally awesome Simon/Richter look from a gameplay perspective. Super long range normals with good projectiles, a zair, a completely normal grab, and several normals that have special mobility functions. Oh yes please. That's such a powerful core design, and it sounds super fun. They're near the top of the list of characters I'm giving a very serious competitive look very early.
One thing to note is that I also saw the fair angled downwards so it could potentially be angled slightly

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I said this on the writers discord, but I really wanted King K Rool, but even then it was only because I liked the character-- I didn't think I was going to like his play style.

But then that butthole got a counter.

SIGN ME UP.

*me patiently waiting for Smashboards to add the new character icons*

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Y'know, looking back at it, does Final Destination look smaller to anyone else, or is it just me?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I seriously believe Simon and Richter have a Marth/Lucina or Roy/Chrom difference going on, if it's just nothing different and for the sake of an animation I will quite literally use "wasted" and "slot" in the same sentence.

Because I will never forget the injustice that has been done to :4alph: and i dont even play pikmin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom