• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ultimate's speculation run is just like Infinity War.

Ya'll know exactly what I mean.

D

Deleted member

So, here's a bit of disappointing speculation.

Is Smash Run deconfirmed?
Not really.
I think "Spirits" will be a Subspace Emissary like Adventure Mode.
I would love another Subspace Emissary like Adventure Mode in Ultimate.
Call me wrong, but I think Sakurai is going in on all of this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seeing how Chrom Echoes Roy, having Ike's Up B and all.. I don't think Dixie being a Echo is too bad at all. All she would need is a uniuqe Helicopter Spin animation, maybe DK's throw mechanics, and a little more floatiness and less powerful attacks and she'd be fine. Low budget Dixie maybe, but that's what a Echo is.

I also think Impa is a very likely prospect now. The Moon as a Assist Trophy doesn't bode well for Skull Kid. And Impa is easily the most prominent, and rather easy to include potential newomcer as a Sheik Echo. With so many veteran Nintendo franchises getting newcomers, how can Zelda be ignored?

I general, I think we might get far more Echoes than people would ever think of. Am loving the ride so far!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Seems that way but I won't be too terribly disappointed if Adventure Mode is as epic as it's starting to be shaped up to be. We've already had several new bosses shown off so I think we'll be getting something that's like a mix of Smash Run, Melee Adventure, and the Subspace Emissary. Again, there's just so much that we don't know at this point.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Another direct, another one of these! Now with echo toggle!
Newcomers (8):
  • Inkling (Splatoon)
  • Ridley (Metroid)
  • Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  • King K. Rool (Donkey Kong)
  • Geno (Mario)
  • Bandana Dee (Kirby)
  • Incineroar (Pokémon)
  • Rhythm Heaven (Rhythm Heaven)
Echo Fighters (12):
  • Daisy (Mario) - :ultpeach:
  • Funky Kong (Donkey Kong) - :ultdk:
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong) - :ultdiddy:
  • Galacta Knight (Kirby) - :ultmetaknight:
  • Dark Samus (Metroid) - :ultsamus:
  • Dark Pit (Kid Icarus) - :ultpit:
  • Lucina (Fire Emblem) - :ultmarth:
  • Chrom (Fire Emblem) - :ultroy:
  • Isabelle (Animal Crossing) - :ultvillager:
  • Ken (Street Fighter) - :ultryu:
  • Richter Belmont (Castlevania) - Simon (will update when his icon is loaded in)
  • Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic) - :ultsonic:
We'll see how close this is to the launch roster...RIP Ashley.
This is a pretty good roster imo, if these were the remaining newcomers I would feel pretty good if this were the end result.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

No other modes outside of the stuff talked about in Classic Mode are confirmed nor deconfirmed

Smash Run should definitely stay

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Let's discuss the remaining characters using Vergeben's leaks!

1) He does not have all the info.
2) Personally I think he was not told about who the echoes are just the unique ones.
3) He said 6 newcomers, excluding Inkling and Ridley
4) Simon Belmont and King K Rool is revealed, 4 left.

Here's what I think.

1) Pokemon rep - Probably Incineroar. He already said it was not Decidueye.
2) Xenoblade rep - should be Rex
3) Mario rep - Geno. Since Capt Toad is gone, Geno will be the rep.
4) Either Isabelle or Impa. I am leaning towards Isabelle since Vergeben confirmed her.

Now for the echoes.
1) Dixie - Diddy Echo
2) Shadow - Sonic Echo
3) Jeanne - Bayonetta echo
4) Impa - Sheik echo

Why do I hear about Skull Kid?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
There's also the detail that we have no idea when Ratholos will appear in the plains for a boss battle. Possible hint for the story mode, maybe?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
God... it's like this whole thing is so crazy... Richter hasn't had a notable role since 2006, Dark Samus 2007, and K. Rool 2009... The fact that characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo and Kazooie are legitimately on the table is so surreal especially since Sakurai was such a huge stickler for relevancy in Brawl and Smash 4. Again, I think he's lost his mind and I feel like the evidence keeps piling up that this is going to be his last Smash game.
The biggest surprise was getting Richter since I'd never expect Simon Bemont to get an echo character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually thinking about it: How the **** is the Moon assisting you? We saw the footage, it kills you as well. That's not assisting you at all.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Interestingly, from what I've seen today it seems more people are excited to play as Richter than Simon.

:v

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Nah Tails would be the superior choice for a Sonic newcomer, but Shadow is more popular than all the characters not named Sonic, so him joining Smash makes just as much sense as Tails and Eggman (adding another villain to the series) would
I’d add this beautiful moment in aswell
I'm kinda hoping now that they pick up an idea I brought up before of DLC Character packs by Series. Have Tails come in as a luigified Sonic that comes packaged with a free (Or at least discounted price) Sonic echo Shadow.

Though given this game is going all-out on 3rd Party more then I could of ever imagined (NINE 3rd parties in the base game?!). I may still have a slight tinge of hope for Tails DLC even if Shadow does make it in as a base game echo fighter. Tails got a mii costume while Shadow didn't (And remind that some assists still got Mii Costumes so there wasn't something against that). And while it's not a sure thing given stuff like Takamaru and Ashley. Many of the newcomers were Mii Costumes in Smash 4. And Knuckles is already an AT. Would be weird for Tails not to get something more then just the Mii costume and Green Hill Zone cameo he already had while both Knuckles and Shadow got some sort of upgrade.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wonder if challenges will still exist. They most likely will come back, but I still worry, especially considering they were tied deeply to customs in SSB4. Then again, they simply could just give nothing, and there would be no problem.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Did zelda have a hilda alt in smash 4 or am imagining that

cause i remeber the disscusion here that it was not found in the demo just like Ike's Chrom color and Samus Dark Samus color

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Interestingly, from what I've seen today it seems more people are excited to play as Richter than Simon.

:v
It's probably because Richter has a little bit more personality shown due to Symphony of the Night. Plus that game is generally the most well received in the series even if he's not the protagonist...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seeing how Chrom Echoes Roy, having Ike's Up B and all.. I don't think Dixie being a Echo is too bad at all. All she would need is a uniuqe Helicopter Spin animation, maybe DK's throw mechanics, and a little more floatiness and less powerful attacks and she'd be fine. Low budget Dixie maybe, but that's what a Echo is.

I also think Impa is a very likely prospect now. The Moon as a Assist Trophy doesn't bode well for Skull Kid. And Impa is easily the most prominent, and rather easy to include potential newomcer as a Sheik Echo. With so many veteran Nintendo franchises getting newcomers, how can Zelda be ignored?

I general, I think we might get far more Echoes than people would ever think of. Am loving the ride so far!
We already have 4 with probably another two Directs and a huge number of characters that are just screaming to be added this way. I'm thinking at least 10 at this point with Ken, Shadow/Tails, Dixie, Octoling, and Impa being really likely.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
geeez imagine if we got like... 2 or 3 seasons of dlc in a 6 years time.

they could be themed.. like, the first be "New and relevant to the switch characters", the second be "popular assist trophies characters" and the last one could be popular and relevant to the switch again.. but now with 3 more years to choose from.

Right now i really hope that smash ultimate lifespan be around 10 years, and maybe get ported to the next console ._. this roster won't happen again, specially not if we even get DLC... :c

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If classic mode opponents is random and random number of characters on a top once I willing be gladly ok with this
Based on what the Smash Direct stated, each fighter faces a specific set of opponents, which may imply that in the case of Donkey Kong, the 5th round will always be against two Inklings.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Did zelda have a hilda alt in smash 4 or am imagining that

cause i remeber the disscusion here that it was not found in the demo just like Ike's Chrom color and Samus Dark Samus color
No.
Smash 4 (or at least 3DS) came out prior to A Link Between Worlds if I remember correctly.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I think this is going to be his last Smash game too to be honest.
I am glad if this is true, because Sakurai can finally relax after Ultimate...
what? lol. smash isnt going anywhere. it ,ay not be directed by sakurai, but the game isnt going away. it prints money. its sells systems. it helps nintendo maintain cross company relationships and more.. you can argue it is the most valuable gaming franchise around today outside of possibly FF.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh man, this was awesome. I can’t believe I’m down to one fighter on my most wanted list. Please Sakurai, we’ve got another Dragon...he’d fit so well! Smash x Skyrim! And Soule’s epic soundtrack!

So, if you could choose some fighters for a Squad Strike, well, who would you choose?

For me, :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario: for 3v3s, and :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultroy::ultpit: or :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultmarth: for 5v5s.
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: or :ultlink::ultzelda::ultpokemontrainer: for my 3-man team, add :ultike: and the other above for the 5.

But I have to play :ultmario::ultlink::ultdk::ultsamus::ultfox: vs :ultbowser::ultganondorf::kingkrool::ultridley::ultwolf:
I don't want to be that guy, and I don't want to **** all over Chrom's inclusion (I never really minded him getting him in), but...

Fire Emblem now officially has more Smash fighters than the Legend of Zelda
Obviously add more Zelda reps!

I don’t know much of FE, but I’m happy to see Chrom. He really got **** on last round, worse than Rlddles.
I have a little game for you all... imagine if we get 3 more smash directs in September, October, And November, and they each reveal 2 unique characters and 1-2 echo fighters. Who will they be?

Here's my example:

September:
Unique: Elma & Geno
Echo: Isabelle

October:
Unique: Nihilego & Heihachi
Echo: Ninten & Galatica Knight

November:
Unique: Chorus Kids & Ayumi Tachibana
Echo: Shadow
...and now we know ‘echo’ means almost anything between ‘literal palette swap’ and ‘Melee-style clone with noticeable differences’

This is so much harder now...

September:
- Incineroar, Buzzwole, or Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Isaac
- Isabelle (Villager, with his props changed to office supplies)

October:
- Skull Kid or Urbosa (Zelda)
- Nightmare or Ivy (Soul Calibur)
- Dixie (Diddy, with her using a ponytail instead of tail for normals. And a K.Rool-like uspecial)

November:
- Bandana Dee
- Dovahkiin (Skyrim)
- Tails (Sonic echo, but with a Peach float)

Seriously, though...if Dovahkiin got in, I don’t care who else gets in. He’s the only one I really need...:sadeyes:

- - -

But real talk for a sec - I can definitely see them pulling Goku at the end. How are they going to build from the past two directs?!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
what? lol. smash isnt going anywhere. it ,ay not be directed by sakurai, but the game isnt going away. it prints money. its sells systems. it helps nintendo maintain cross company relationships and more.. you can argue it is the most valuable gaming franchise around today outside of possibly FF.
If it was less valuable than FF why is FF in Smash? :4villager:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
We already have 4 with probably another two Directs and a huge number of characters that are just screaming to be added this way. I'm thinking at least 10 at this point with Ken, Shadow/Tails, Dixie, Octoling, and Impa being really likely.
I think it's reasonable to imagine that, with the possible heroes vs villains theme, we'll be getting a lot of villain echoes like we did with dark samus. I can see Akuma and Shadow, for example.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I said this in discord and in my signature waaay earlier today, right after the direct, but I just want to put it out there that I very strongly think Geno is going to be revealed as the "one more thing" for the next major direct, potentially in October.
Feel free to hold me to this. It's more fun when it's treated like a game haha.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Spirit mode requires you to collect the dragonballz to wish your dead friends alive. Unlocks Goku.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am actually also hoping for Charizard X, as a full separate Charizard Echo. Giving a little something to Charizard mains of Smash 4. Can also be a buffed version of Charizard, cause otherwise the Trainer has an easy advantage over choosing it.

I agree with the rest of your Echo predictions.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Actually thinking about it: How the **** is the Moon assisting you? We saw the footage, it kills you as well. That's not assisting you at all.
Makes AT's a russian roulette of sorts.

Though it'll still help if you're up a stock and they're on their last.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think we might see a new Zelda villain, considering the Heroes vs Villains theme? I'd like to see Ghirahim or maybe Skull Kid.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
More Yoshi representation (not necessarily fighters) is all I'm asking for. Just ONE assist trophy would be good. It's not like there's no good ideas, I thought of like 5 over on the Yoshi social...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
It's probably because Richter has a little bit more personality shown due to Symphony of the Night. Plus that game is generally the most well received in the series even if he's not the protagonist...
Not to mention that Rondo Of Blood is considered one of the best Classic Style Castlevania games

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone think we might see a new Zelda villain, considering the Heroes vs Villains theme? I'd like to see Ghirahim or maybe Skull Kid.
I don't think Skull Kid is likely with that The Moon Assist Trophy. Seems like that would be Skull Kid's FInal Smash. I think Impa is next in line, and for obvious reasons. Zelda already has it's villian with Ganondorf, and that's shown before the K.Rool reveal.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Ghirahim is already an Assist Trophy, so he's out of the running.
Is he? Damn, thought we hadn't seen him yet. And skull kid isn't too likely, given the moon and all. Damn.

Watch us not get any more Zelda reps. Hopefully we can at least get an echo fighter. I always thought twili midna would work as a zelda clone.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So I've been processing my hype for the past 10 hours or so and trying to collect my thoughts and do research.

Haven't seen it brought up here, but the Bloody Tears/Monster Dance remix is live and it's so good!

1. The roster. I do think the amount of unique newcomers will be lower than before. Around 8 is my guess. Verg is really solid right now and predicted 6 more after E3, two of which we know right now. After this, Loz18 believes we are getting at least another 2. Which brings me to my next point.
2. The roster is going to be huge because Echoes are a thing. I believe now that the concept themselves was decided early in the game's design, which is why they are rebranding them. However, I don't think the character selections for the echoes was decided until later, much like in the past. This is why they aren't showing up on either leaker's radar. Half of our currently unveiled newcomers are echoes, and I think this ratio will stick. So I'm predicting another 4 unique newcomers and another 4 echoes. This would bring the roster up to 71 characters, 81 if you include echoes. And that's a great marketing point for the back of the box.
3. The ballot seems to be the key influential factor into pretty much every roster decision, as the traditional 'relevancy' arguments that have worked in the past games seem to be dead if K Rool, Dark Samus, Chrom AND the Belmonts have anything to say. We probably have a rough idea of what the ballot looked like with our own research, as we our sample polls are rather indicative of the roster thus far. I don't know what this means for 'relevancy' characters like Elma, Gen 7 Pokemon, Celica or Spring Man, but I don't think it's good.
4. As for the remaining characters, I'm really not sure. Verg doubles down on Isabelle, but Loz doesn't seem to think so going off of his predictions (that or he has no source on her). Verg also thinks it's Incineroar, which Loz has also denied so I'm totally lost. At least seeing one of them mention Skull Kid is exciting!

Is it like the Goldeen of Assist Trophies?

Only, instead of doing nothing, it's more of a "holy **** i'm screwed" thing.

Interestingly, it's also on Great Bay still. I wonder what happens if it shows up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom