• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The lack of an option =/= the lack of ability to do said option.

This is what people aren't getting when they try to make connections to other characters (which the only LEGITIMATE example being N3ON brining up that Sonic can't swim, but just that can be handwaved with him paddling exactly like he does in the first Olympic Games while wearing a life jacket, just with the lack of a life jacket whenever he enters the swimming animation being an oversight).
Is Little Mac given the OPTION to use special moves against his opponents in the first place? No. Doesn't mean he can't do them. It's just not an available option to him in the game.

Is Captain Toad given the OPTION to jump? Yes. But pressing the button to do so will have him make a feeble attempt to drive the point home that he literally CAN'T.
Then, by going with your resoning.

-Captain Toad can't jump because his backpack is too heavy. That is a fact.

-Is he given the option to drop it? No
-Does that mean that he can't drop it or throw away things from it? Absolutely not.

That would be his gimmick. Being able to change his weight by trowing things out of his backpack in order to change his mobility (and maybe strenght if there are attacks involving the backpack). That sounds like a new mechanic, and as we have seen by Smash 3DS/Wii U newcomers that is what Sakurai and his team look when searching for newcomers.

D

Deleted member

If new Fire Emblem characters are introduced, I am happy. ( Even though people will complain ).
I do not care if there are too much Fire Emblem characters, we need slightly more characters. Fire Emblem has such cool character designs that I am honestly hoping for one in Smash for Switch.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If new Fire Emblem characters are introduced, I am happy. ( Even though people will complain ).
I do not care if there are too much Fire Emblem characters, we need slightly more characters. Fire Emblem has such cool character designs that I am honestly hoping for one in Smash for Switch.
Cue an anti-FE person saying half the FE characters in Smash have the same design. :p

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I realized that I didn't really answer the topic question yesterday, being who I think are the 8 most likely newcomers, so I'll go ahead and try and answer that although I think as it stands now it's a bit too early to call. As it stands now, though...

1. Inkling - Doesn't need much explaining, Splatoon is huge and the Inklings have a ton of potential. Inkling is the only character that I feel is an inevitability. Again not much to say but I'm excited to see what can be done with them.

2. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl - ARMS brings a lot of fun interesting characters to the table, although they'll probably end up going with the two most basic characters of the bunch. Which is fine, simply given the nature of ARMS these two would already have a lot to stand apart as a unique addition.

3. Ice Climbers - Yeah it's cheating a little bit but for all intents and purposes I'm gonna treat "retired" veterans as newcomers because their fate is ultimately unclear. Ice Climbers though I'm sure will return, because the reason for their exclusion was technical issues that can easily be worked around on the Switch (they worked on the Wii U version anyway). There's no reason not to bring them back, really. I guess you can lump Wolf in here too, although I don't think he'll be nearly as much of a priority.

4. Decidueye/Gen 8 Pokemon - After four Smash games I think there are certain "trends" that are to be expected, one of which is a new Pokemon to represent the most recent generation. I think Decidueye would be fantastic and also fill the current omission of a grass type in the trifecta. If Gen 8 rolls around by the time development on Smash 5 is in session, then honestly it could go either way. Decidueye is imo an almost perfect choice but I don't know what Gen 8 is gonna bring to the table yet, so we'll wait and see.

5. New Fire Emblem Character - I mean, I guess so. Kind of a boring prediction and to be honest I don't know enough about Fire Emblem in its current state right now to say exactly who has a shot. But you know, recent lords or avatars or whatever. I just hope they pick someone interesting, Robin and Corrin are fun breaths of fresh air. In retrospect they were awesome choices.

6. Takamaru - Sakurai has already gone on record to say that Takamaru has been considered for both Brawl and Smash 4, so I think that once another retro character is being discussed Takamaru will already be fresh in everyone's heads. I don't quite understand the reasoning of excluding an "obscure" character which is essentially what Sakurai chalked it up to last time, especially considering that's kind of the reason retro characters are added in the first place (to introduce them to a new audience/generation). I think Takamaru is the perfect antithesis to Mac's addition in Smash 4 so he would be my go to. You could replace this with any retro character but I'm putting my faith in Takamaru again.

7. Isabelle - Animal Crossing has grown to be one of Nintendo's flagships, and although I don't think a new character is 100% necessary or guaranteed Isabelle is practically the series mascot at this point. She could be a semi-clone, or she could incorporate elements from the Animal Crossing games that are absent from Villager's moveset. Either way I think she's got a decent shot.

8. Rhythm Heaven Character (Chorus Kids?) - For you guys out there who don't know who you're dealing with, I was one of the avid Chorus Kids supporters during the time of the Gematsu leak. I still think they're great and I would love to see them, but I'm gonna keep it vague and just put my stock in a RH character. Rhythm Heaven is one of the bigger franchises not yet formally represented in Smash, and considering that there was an unused RH icon in the game's files (iirc I've been out of the speculation game for a while) it's a series that the developers definitely have on their radar. And if this Smash is introducing more characters with unique, refreshing movesets like I expect it to be, a rhythmic character is the way to go. I also still have some faith that Gematsu did have some credibility so I'm gonna continue to plug for Chorus Kids as my representative choice.

D

Deleted member

Here's a new thread to freshen up:

Quote 8 newcomers you think are among the most likely, no more no less, with a few rules:
- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed
Haven't responded to this earlier, so I'll throw in my top 8.

1. Inklings: No brainer.
2. ARMS character: No one specific as I'm still debating on which one would be the most likely. It could be Spring Man, it could be Ribbon Girl, it could be Min Min, it could be Twintelle, hell, it could be Dr. Coyle. I could make cases for a number of them.
3. Pokémon Newcomer: Another one without specifics because cases could be made for a number of them. Though we still need some info on the upcoming movie; that will help.
4. Rex and Pyra/Mythra: Xenoblade is a continuing series and offers different casts of characters per title like Fire Emblem. So it would make sense we got Rex and Pyra/Mythra. I don't Xenoblade, so I don't know how they'd really work.
5. Funky Kong: No, I'm not trolling. I legitimately believe Funky Kong shot up into likely territory among the DK cast. He's the big draw for Tropical Freeze's Switch port (and has become a widespread meme thanks to the packaging advertising his role), and can offer a unique fighting style involving his surfboard.
6. Sylux: He's been hyped up for a future important role, and Prime 4 seems to be that role.
7. Rhythm Heaven character: One was apparently meant to be in Smash 4, so I can see the idea being revisited. Whether it's the Chorus Kids, Wrestler & Reporter, Karate Joe, Wandering Samurai, Tibby, etc., who knows.
8. Waluigi: I will admit, this one's just because I want to believe Waluigi has a shot this time and because I couldn't include veterans or guests. I mean, all it took Little Mac was a new design and new game, so why not Waluigi with his snazzy new look in Mario Tennis Aces? And since he is the Mario Tennis character as Smash and Super Mario Maker want to emphasize, why not count him as such, with a symbol of tennis racket(s) and a tennis ball?

If Wrecking Crew can get its own symbol....

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Shulk can harm human-like characters with the default Monado in Smash, despite it being clearly stated that that couldn't happen in Xenoblade Chronicles, I don't see any issue with Captain Toad having small, yet existent, jumps.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rosalina is a very unique case. Although she was never a popular candidate for Smash, she easily beat out the other four characters you listed in terms of general popularity.
Well... that's not true. She beat out Toad in terms of general popularity? Toad was ranked eighth most popular not Mario character, not Nintendo character, video game character in Japan in a post-Brawl, pre-Smash 4 poll. Not to mention, and this is more anecdotal (but that's really all we've to go on), go watch any given video of casuals playing Mario Kart and see how frequently Toad gets picked. Toad is, guaranteed, a more popular character generally.

Also there's this, which dates to pre-Rosalina reveal, indicating Waluigi is/was more popular than her as well (it's not Smash related - people thought it was. Uprising had also just came out - hence the high placement of the KI characters). And both of these are in Japan, where normally I would give Rosalina even more of an edge.

I can't speak to Paper Mario or Bowser Jr, since I've nothing to corroborate my claims, though Bowser Jr was used much more in Mario merchandise and promotional material dating from before Rosalina's reveal. I might also suggest checking out who else is featured more prominently in Mario merchandise dating from before the reveal.

But do you have any actual proof? I understand it's difficult to prove these kind of metrics, but the only people who have actually challenged my claims have been those sporting Rosalina avatars.

So why did a character with so much popularity have so little support for Smash? Practically no one thought she had a chance. She was still very new to the world, and all of the other Mario series characters (including DK, Yoshi, and Wario spin-offs) had been around for at least 15 years. How would someone who debuted in a Wii game beat out the sassy princess who had consistently made spin-off appearances since her GameBoy debut? Why would Sakurai think of adding a six year-old character to represent the most popular franchise of all time when Waluigi and Bowser Jr. had already existed for more than ten years? Even with her adoring fans, no one involved in Smash speculation believed she was going to be a serious candidate.
People were also unaware, at the time, of how crucial a role being of recent importance would play.

D

Deleted member

If Shulk can harm human-like characters with the default Monado in Smash, despite it being clearly stated that that couldn't happen in Xenoblade Chronicles, I don't see any issue with Captain Toad having small, yet existent, jumps.
Except the thing about the Monado was that it couldn't harm those who share the blood of Zanza, not that "it can't hurt humans". With Homs being created in Zanza's image.
Zanza doesn't exist anywhere except Shulk's home universe.

The only time it applies in Smash is if Shulk is fighting another Shulk. Which shouldn't be possible to begin with, so who cares if Shulk A can hurt Shulk B and vice versa.

D

Deleted member

Except the thing about the Monado was that it couldn't harm those who share the blood of Zanza, not that "it can't hurt humans". With Homs being created in Zanza's image.
Zanza doesn't exist anywhere except Shulk's home universe.

The only time it applies in Smash is if Shulk is fighting another Shulk. Which shouldn't be possible to begin with, so who cares if Shulk A can hurt Shulk B and vice versa.
You know quite some things for someone who "don't Xenoblade".

D

Deleted member

You know quite some things for someone who "don't Xenoblade".
I literally just looked it up to verify. :p

And that was only because I remembered something about there not being "humans" in the Xenoblade world.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I have never played Captain Toad's game and have no idea how exactly he works, but it sounds interesting to me the idea of a character that can't jump but has something else to make up for it in his moveset, it would be something different on the roster.

But I myself have absolutely no idea how could such a character be implemeted without being complete garbage competitively

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'd say both Toad and Captain Toad are equally likely.

Toads have been around since the original Super Mario Bros., and quickly became playable in Super Mario Bros. 2. Since then, they've made multiple appearances in mainline and spin-off Mario games, be it NPCs or playable. I believe Toad is among the series' most integral characters, and can easily see him getting in Smash 5. His speed is his most defining traits in Super Mario Bros. 2 was being fast and strong, being able to uproot veggies and enemies faster than the others. As such, I think being a quick lightweight with surprisingly heavy-hitting attacks, though with low jump height to compensate, fits. Because Toads normally help Mario on his adventures through Toad Houses, he could probably be a power-up oriented character in terms of special attacks. I can see him using the Propeller Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. Wii as an up special, and I think the Penguin Suit from said game or the Blue Shell from New Super Mario Bros. (which appeared in Super Mario 3D World as well... more or less) would work as a viable side special.

Captain Toad is a different story. He first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy as a minor comic relief character, though later appearances in games like Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey established his place in the series. He even got his own game, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. The biggest thing that holds him back is his inability to jump thanks to his backpack. Personally, I think this could be worked around, though I've seen that opinions on this are divided at best. I think being the game's smallest heavyweight because of his backpack would fit just as well. Compared with Toad, I imagine he'd also be slower, but retain the hard-hitting attacks and jump height. Moveset potential? He definitely has some. The Super Pickaxe could be used as a neutral special, and I can see a mine cart side special as well. Up special I can see involving being carried by a Green Star, as those are the game's main collectibles, or if we wanted to go the more obscure route, have him be carried by a Flaptor. Unless Peach's moveset gets changed, I can't see a Turnip being either Toad or Captain Toad's down specials. I can, though, see the entire Toad Brigade incorporated as a Final Smash.

But regardless of weather Toad or Captain Toad gets in, there MUST be a Toadette alt...

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So a lot of you were talking about giving Ganondorf a new move set and giving his old move set to Black Shadow for those who wanted to play a slow Falcon. My question for you all is how would you feel if Blood Falcon was placed into the spot of Black Shadow instead?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Quote 8 newcomers you think are among the most likely, no more no less, with a few rules:
- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed
Alright, so most likely. Instead of who I think it should be.

1) ARMS Character. Honestly I'm going to stick with my thought of a Bowser Jr/Koopalings thing here, and that each costume is a different fighter from ARMS. Maybe Spring Man is the default, but it doesn't matter much. Everyone will pick Twintelle.

2) Callie/Marie. Switching between the two like Robin, each having four different colored outfits. A standard Inkling might be what they go with, but I think the Squid Sisters will bring a lot more style and memorability to the role instead of -generic inkling-.

3) Lycanroc (Dusk Form). While I personally would be much more about Decidueye, Nintendo/The Pokemon Company seems to really love Lycanroc for some reason. Enough so that I think they'd probably choose him instead of the superior Decidueye.

4) Fire Emblem Switch character. I would think the protagonist based on past trends, but it's also a trend for the devs to upend expectations. It might be the Lord (or whoever) but maybe it could be the antagonist. It would work well.

5) Viridi. It is my belief that Sakurai would have put her in Smash 4 if he'd had the time, but only as a base character, not DLC. If Sakurai's still in the dev team, I think this one will happen, even if Hades would be better.

6) Dixie Kong. And she best not be a clone, I swear on me mum. There's no reason for her to be. Donkey Kong is hip again, and since Nintendo seems to hate King K Rool, I think Dixie is the next most obvious choice. Honorable mention to Lanky Kong, who is seemingly gone but not forgotten.

7) Impa. If there's a new Zelda character, she's the one who it would be. Unless she's not and they throw Tingle or Agitha at us or something. Honestly though I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda goes another entry without anyone new.

8) Retro, out of nowhere character. Honestly, I have no idea who they'd pick. My mind goes to Mike from StarTropics, but it's unlikely. Maybe someone completely random like Ricky Winterborn or something. This one's a hard choice but almost certain to occur.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So a lot of you were talking about giving Ganondorf a new move set and giving his old move set to Black Shadow for those who wanted to play a slow Falcon. My question for you all is how would you feel if Blood Falcon was placed into the spot of Black Shadow instead?
I think the entire point of Black Shadow replacing Ganondorf as the Captain Falcon clone is so those who enjoyed using Ganondorf in previous Smash games could still get the same moveset, meanwhile Ganondorf would get a new moveset that ties in better with The Legend of Zelda.

I don't play as Captain Falcon OR Ganondorf so I don't care either way.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I think the entire point of Black Shadow replacing Ganondorf as the Captain Falcon clone is so those who enjoyed using Ganondorf in previous Smash games could still get the same moveset, meanwhile Ganondorf would get a new moveset that ties in better with The Legend of Zelda.

I don't play as Captain Falcon OR Ganondorf so I don't care either way.
Yes, everything you said is true but it's exactly the same thing I stated in my original post. My question is whether or not Ganondorf's old move set could be given to Blood Falcon instead of Black Shadow if Ganondorf got a new move set.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yes, everything you said is true but it's exactly the same thing I stated in my original post. My question is whether or not Ganondorf's old move set could be given to Blood Falcon instead of Black Shadow if Ganondorf got a new move set.
Black Shadow would fit better, as he seems to be more or less similar to Ganondorf in terms of body structure. imo having Blood Falcon move as slow as Ganondorf, despite having identical structure to the original Captain Falcon, would seem a little off.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed
1. Inkling
2. Springman from ARMS (with option to pick from three arms during selection)
3. Rex & Pyra from the new Xenoblade
4. Mach Rider
5. King K. Rool
6. Toad
7. Breath of Wild Link
8. Decidueye or the Grass pokemon starter from Pokemon Switch

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Rex & Pyra duo (Xenoblade)
- Takamaru (Murasame Castle)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

Also still looking for someone who's willing to rate my latest roster.
My predictions (I have a self-imposed rule of no placeholders such as "New Fire Emblem character)":
- Inkling
- Spring Man
- Decidueye
- Rex (& Pyra)
- Dixie Kong (though I would prefer King K. Rool but realistically speaking, if they go for only one new DK rep it would probably be her)
- Paper Mario
- Takamaru
- Alph

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just a mole with a pickaxe is too limited for a unique moveset, I'd say - even if he's quite the remarkable character. I'd argue that the entirety of Animal Crossing has the same issue Sakurai accused Villager during Brawl's development: they're just not fighters. Villager ultimately worked due to the vast majority of tools (though even he had to borrow from a different series), but Isabelle, Mr. Resetti and the rest don't have access to those.
In truth, I don't see any new Animal Crossing reps being possible anyway.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177

- No veteran
- No third-party
- Only one per series
- New series are allowed

I start with:

- Paper Mario (Mario)
- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
- Sylux (Metroid)
- Decidueye (Pokémon)
- Rex & Pyra duo (Xenoblade)
- Takamaru (Murasame Castle)
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)

Also still looking for someone who's willing to rate my latest roster.
1. Inkling
2. Rex & Pyra
3. Andy
4. Ridley
5. Waluigi
6. Cranky Kong
7. Takamaru
8. Springman

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I could see Tom Nook working as a new AC rep since;
  1. He sells most of the tools the Villager uses (except in New Leaf)
  2. He's a tanooki. Some of his moves could take from the Mario power-up.
  3. He's been around in every game and never stopped being relevant in the AC fanbase since he was always important.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
1. Inkling
2. Rex & Pyra
3. Spring Man
4. Ribbon Girl
5. Rhythm Heaven Troupe
6. Switch Pokemon Character
7. Switch Fire Emblem Character
8. Switch Pikmin Character
9. Bomberman

Cuts:
  1. Shulk
  2. Wii Fit Trainer
  3. Robin
  4. Corrin
  5. Greninja
  6. Duck Hunt (Only if another retro is chosen)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
1. Inkling
2. Rex & Pyra
3. Spring Man
4. Ribbon Girl
5. Rhythm Heaven Troupe
6. Switch Pokemon Character
7. Switch Fire Emblem Character
8. Switch Pikmin Character
9. Bomberman

Cuts:
  1. Shulk
  2. Wii Fit Trainer
  3. Robin
  4. Corrin
  5. Greninja
  6. Duck Hunt (Only if another retro is chosen)
Remember when R.O.B., Ike, and Lucario were cut?

Me neither.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Remember when R.O.B., Ike, and Lucario were cut?

Me neither.
Remember when Robin was the main character of multiple Fire Emblem games, Duck Hunt was a peripheral, Greninja was more popular than Lucario, Ice Climbers were cut from Brawl, and all of these characters were related somehow?

Me neither.

*comment gets like*

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Opossum Opossum and TheLastJinjo TheLastJinjo Please just drop it. This is a completely pointless argument and there's no reason it should've started whatsoever.

For the record, if you reply to something that only asks for additions and yet you put in cuts, you aren't really replying to what was asked. And even then... this shouldn't be a big deal to anyone. It doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Remember when Robin was the main character of multiple Fire Emblem games, Duck Hunt was a peripheral, Greninja was more popular than Lucario, Ice Climbers were cut from Brawl, and all of these characters were related somehow?

Me neither.

*comment gets like*
You're missing the point entirely. Smash has literally never been about "out with the old, in with the new." Robin is one of the two main characters from the game that saved Fire Emblem. Duck Hunt is from an incredibly famous NES game that was packaged with Super Mario Bros. when it was released. Greninja is the face of Gen VI and continued to receive promotion into Gen VII, which is unheard of for most Pokémon. Shulk and Wii Fit Trainer are the faces of their franchises.

Literally the only time in a post-DLC world where we lost fully unique characters were the Ice Climbers (due to technical issues), Squirtle and Ivysaur (due to being tied to a gimmick that was lost due to technical issues), and Snake (due to, assumingly, rights issues). We'll lose folks like Lucas before losing any of the ones you listed, mark my words.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sorry for editing and rephrasing this post like 900 times. I do that alot.

You're missing the point entirely. Smash has literally never been about "out with the old, in with the new."
Okay. I never inferred that to be the case. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Some characters DO get get removed and added for being "the new thing". Doesn't mean characters removed or added so long as that's the case. It's not black or white.

It's a false dichotomy to say Lucario was no longer new and didn't get cut, therefore Greninja won't. And it's a logical fallacy to draw a pattern from something that only happened once or never happened yet.

Robin is one of the two main characters from the game that saved Fire Emblem. Duck Hunt is from an incredibly famous NES game that was packaged with Super Mario Bros. when it was released. Greninja is the face of Gen VI and continued to receive promotion into Gen VII, which is unheard of for most Pokémon. Shulk and Wii Fit Trainer are the faces of their franchises.
So if a character has good reasons to be in the game they won't get cut?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Question: Sakurai has chosen YOU to help him with the next game's roster and he needs you to pick an new Kirby character for him, however there's an catch, he's banned you from picking Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, Magolor, Galacta Knight and Susie, with that in mind who would you pick?

Gooey, Dark Meta Knight, Adeleine, Taranza, Prince Fluff, Haltmann and Marx are also banned.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Lmao y'all are so petty, anyone even mentions the word cut and some of you just lunge on them.
Cuts are always a potential, especially if there's different directors, so it's good to be prepared for any unfortunate outcomes.
So arguing against changing key defining traits about a character and what makes them who they are and what they represent means "you don't like the character".

Don't generalize points like that.

I'm going to be blunt. If people want Captain Toad to function like a normal Toad, why the **** are they supporting Captain Toad in the first place instead of a regular Toad? Literally JUST because "Captain Toad" got his own spinoff?
Captain Toad is defined by his slow movement speed and complete inability to jump.
"Oh, but that's just because of his backpack...." Well tough bitties, that backpack is pretty much what represents Captain Toad and separates him from other Toads.

You want a Toad that has lower jump height (compared to Mario) and faster speed (again, compared to Mario) that represents how a Toad works in Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World?
You want this guy.

Not Captain Toad.
Yeah I suppose those are good points. Speaking for myself specifically, I'd like Cap Toad over regular Toad simply for that extra unique potential, as Cap can probably do everything a regular Toad can do and more and I wouldn't like to see a standalone Toad's potential go to waste thanks to a gameplay mechanic that was made to make his game/levels more challenging, but I do see your point and admit I was wrong. As long as we get Toadette in there too, either one is great.
Question: Sakurai has chosen YOU to help him with the next game's roster and he needs you to pick an new Kirby character for him, however there's an catch, he's banned you from picking Bandana Dee, Dark Matter, Magolor, Galacta Knight and Susie, with that in mind who would you pick?

Gooey, Dark Meta Knight, Adeleine, Taranza, Prince Fluff, Haltmann and Marx are also banned.
Easy Mode: Adeleine
Hard Mode: The Sun and Moon

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

...Ouch. Rick The Hamster, then? D:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the next game expand beyond Nintendo Universes besides just guests. Given how great and popular this game is, it's a shame it's so restricted with who can participate. Move the series in a new and bigger direction.

I wouldn't even mind seeing veteran cuts in favor of some Sonic Team, Konami, Namco, or Square characters. Would bring the game a lot more attention too.

Indies too. Sash Lilac, Shantae, Shovel Knight...:colorful:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the next game expand beyond Nintendo Universes besides just guests. Given how great and popular this game is, it's a shame it's so restricted with who can participate. Move the series in a new and bigger direction.

I wouldn't even mind seeing veteran cuts in favor of some Sonic Team, Konami, Namco, or Square characters. Would bring the game a lot more attention too.

Indies too. Sash Lilac, Shantae, Shovel Knight...:colorful:
Sounds like a bad idea.

I mean you can argue that Smash Bros is a celebration of gaming in general and not Nintendo only but still. Smash Bros is a Nintendo game first and foremost and having guest characters take priority over first party characters detracts from what Smash is all about. With that being said I do expect to see an emphasis more on third parties in future Smash titles but not to the point where they're slashing veterans left and right to accommodate them.

Especially not for Indie characters. Really none of them stand a chance sans maybe Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Remember when Robin was the main character of multiple Fire Emblem games,
Actually, Robin has appeared in almost as many Fire Emblem games as Ike at this point.

Ike has appeared in...

• Path of Radiance
  • Radiant Dawn
  • Awakening
  • Fates
  • Heroes
  • Echoes

Robin has appeared in...

• Awakening
  • Fates
  • Heroes
  • Warriors
  • Echoes

Only reason Ike has more is because he was made first.

Both characters are being used and just because Robin doesn't share the exact same criteria as Ike does (which weren't even the reason Ike was included in the first place) , doesn't mean Robin should be cut either.

Greninja was more popular than Lucario,
Yes I do remember that actually.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/7/11878224/most-popular-pokemon-top-100-list

Duck Hunt was a peripheral,
He's the mascot for one.

Lmao y'all are so petty, anyone even mentions the word cut and some of you just lunge on them.
Cuts are always a potential, especially if there's different directors, so it's good to be prepared for any unfortunate outcomes.
Its not that we don't expect cuts or get mad at people bringing up cuts but some of the reasons people bring up for cuts are well...

kinda dumb.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually, Robin has appeared in almost as many Fire Emblem games as Ike at this point.

Ike has appeared in...

• Path of Radiance
  • Radiant Dawn
  • Awakening
  • Fates
  • Heroes
  • Echoes

Robin has appeared in...

• Awakening
  • Fates
  • Heroes
  • Warriors
  • Echoes

Only reason Ike has more is because he was made first.
Remember when Robin was the main character of multiple Fire Emblem games.
Its not that we don't expect cuts or get mad at people bringing up cuts but some of the reasons people bring up for cuts are well...

kinda dumb.
I guess you would know considering I never stated what my reasons for them being cut even were.

So if you're going to gloss over key words in my argument and tell me my arguments are dumb before I've presented them...what do you want from me, exactly?

Maybe you could ask me some questions to follow up on my post instead of pouncing on me every time I dare dip my toe in this website.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I guess you would know considering I never stated what my reasons for them being cut even were.

So if you're going to gloss over key words in my argument and tell me my arguments are dumb before I've presented them...what do you want from me, exactly?
What are those reasons then?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can imagine.

So if you're going to gloss over key words in my argument and tell me my arguments are dumb before I've presented them..
The main character of Radiant Dawn was Michaiah.

She's on the cover. She's who's advertised. She's the first character you play as. etc.

Ike is a main character of Radiant Dawn but not THE main character.

I was trying to give your argument more weight by listing every notable appearance.

tell me my arguments are dumb before I've presented them...what do you want from me, exactly?
That was not directed at you Jinjo.

Lumi spoke in general terms and why many members are defensive about cuts.

I answered generally.

If I came off like I was insulting you there. Wasn't intended.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What are those reasons then?
Wii Fit Trainer - Most likely a discontinued series.

Greninja/Robin - Popular Pokemon. But, so is Mewtwo. We can't keep every newcomer who appears in the last game in every installment until each series reaches double digits. Sometimes characters with a lot of credentials get cut, not because they aren't important, but because they are lower on the list of priority.

Characters aren't necessarily PLANNED to be cut. It's a matter of time depleting.

Shulk - I don't understand the "face of the series" thing. His game was popular and got ported, but I don't see why that's a reason to insist on having him instead of a more relevant character of the series.

Duck Hunt - I was just suggesting that maybe Sakurai might come up with another retro character. I wasn't inferring that something was wrong with Duck Hunt. Just that maybe the new one might get in first and then further in development the last one doesn't make it because there already is one.

Maybe "cuts" is not the term that should be used when discussing this. "Cut" implies that the character was deliberately removed from the game, as apposed to never implemented due to time constraints and much more important characters being prioritized.

**** happens and characters that are WAY deserving get cut. Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, Ice Climbers.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Gooey.

For hard mode:
Either Lolo (but then he’s just as much out of his own series as he is Kirby) or Bonkers (Dedede with less of a wallop and no float jump)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom