• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
I don't even know who Richter is, but I'm still excited for him and Simon. They look really fun to play.

Mimikyu and Ashley make me sad, but it's still better than nothing. As for the Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, and Items, they're making me happy. So much love has been poured into the game with how much representation each series is getting. None of the items (except maybe Rage Gun) look too broken either. Is this the first time the name "Rage" has been acknowledged, or was it mentioned at E3? Of course, I could also be completely wrong, and it's been the official term for years.

Dark Samus and Chrom are great. I wonder how much attention the team is paying to our speculation considering Sakurai acknowledged that they weren't much of a surprise. I'd be lying if I didn't say that "Anything can change!" made me smile. Three Awakening characters is weird, but I don't really mind with how easily they can be implemented. Brace yourselves for the complaints about Sakurai bias towards Fire Emblem though...
Kraid looks beautiful in HD.
Congratulations to K. Rool fans! He looks absolutely amazing. The fact that an all but forgotten character made it in shows that this game truly is a tribute to the fans.

All of the new modes are getting me excited., and we finally got the multiple character mode! I wanted it so bad but never expected that it would happen. Ultimate is shaping up to be the Ultimate party game. I can foresee how much Smash will be in my dorm this spring semester.

My heart sunk when I saw the Moon in the Assist Trophy section, but then it showed the name as "Moon." Oh my gosh... I really don't want to get my hopes up for Skull Kid, but there's no reason for this change when it could have easily been ported from 4... I'll cross my fingers for now, but I'll try to keep my hopes tempered.

All in all, I'm even more excited than I was before. Ultimate has so much soul and meat to it that 4 lacked, and December can't come fast enough now.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Holy crap that direct was hype!!!

K. Rool in the roster means I'm content with this roster even if we don't get Bandana Dee (RIP Mimikyu).

And I'm not the biggest fan of Simon's design so Richter being makes me really excited to try him out.

My boy Shovel Knight being in as an Assist makes me smile since I never thought he'd be playable.

The freaking Moon from Majora's Mask of all things being an assist trophy was something I never imagined happening.

Rathalos is going to be fun to fight. Now that looks like a ****ing boss!

And finally good to see Chrom in as well. I don't give a crap about the number of reps Fire Emblem has, he's basically the second face of the franchise after Marth at this point. If there's one Fire Emblem character who should be in its him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also, something to note:
While Ashley is deconfirmed, her eyes have been fixed back to red.
Untitled.png

So hey, they stilled show some care.

This was the energy through the entire second half of the direct.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So I'm calling at least Isabelle, Shadow, and Monster Hunter.

My only question is if Isabelle is a echo or not.

I don't think we're done after that though.

I feel we're going to also have characters not revealed before the game's release. I mean he's going to want a surprise for when we are unlocking everyone right?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Casual reminder that this game marks K. Rool's first physical appearence in over a decade since he was last sighted in the Baseball Kingdom.

I'll let the headcanons come naturally.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Basically locks in Shadow and Ken, at the very least.

Idk who Richter is btw..
Basically he appeared in the unreleased Rondo of blood in japans only PC engine aka Castlevania Dracula X which was suppose to come out in america but was later change and released for the snes

Noipoi

Howdy!
Y'know, I never cared much for K Rool before.
But seeing him in action made me love the guy, he's so weird!
Definitely playing him, after Inkling of course.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I don't care if someone's already said it but, it took nearly 17 years but Sakurai finally did it: he made Ditto a Pokeball Pokemon!

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
QUESTION

When do you think the next Smash Direct will be?

Because i'm excited to see more of this amazing game!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Mario - Bowser
Link - Ganondorf
Pikachu - Mewtwo
Kirby - Dedede
Fox - Wolf
Samus - Ridley
DK - K. Rool

Yoshi - ?

Kamek basically confirmed
inb4 it ends up being Boshi

But yeah, they basically confirmed the Heroes vs, villains theme in KKR's trailer, so I hope that means Yoshi won't get shafted again...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The direct definitley proved that the ballot is being used for this game. Not only was King K. Rool a playable character, but SHOVEL KNIGHT actually got acknowledged as an AT with his popularity.

Isaac is becoming likely!!!

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
So Diddy and DK's reaction was probably the same as most people who were watching the direct. I'm totally going to play as Richter too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, so.

A lot of things to comment on.

First off, Opossum Opossum How do you feel right now?
Chrom as a Marth-Ike Echo looks pretty nice. He also confirms that Echo Fighters can have completely unique Final Smashes, not just ones copied from other characters.

Simon Belmont was a surprise already, but RICHTER was a bigger surprise!
I wasn't expecting him to be an Echo when his Splash Screen popped up, I thought he'd be a skin.

Glad to know that I was right about the whole "players get KOed when losing all stamina" thing.

The new built-in Multi-character-stock and Ironman-like modes are amazing!

Dark Samus was a complete surprise! I never would have guessed that she/it'd be in.

@Murlough I'm sorry for your loss. At least Mimikyu looks like an interesting assist trophy.

I actually laughed out loud several times during this direct. When the Moon crashed down, and when Dedede revealed himself I burst out laughing.

I can't believe Luigi is ******* dead. Looks like the Mario Bros. are no more.

Glad to see MK64, FoD, Pirate Ship, Brinstar Depths, Windy Hill and Golden Plains back. Too bad about Pac-Maze though.

The whole "One stage transforms into another" idea is something I've always wanted, and I'm so glad to finally see it implemented into Smash for real!

JYB is finally in Smash! It was nice to see Zero come along for the ride this time. That Shovel Knight AT was definitely a shock.

The new Items are looking snazzy, I'm really excited to try them out!

A Monster Hunter stage too! I'm not that familiar with the series, but it looks nice. Not much to see, just a flat walkoff. However, that in and of itself is still unique as far as Smash stages go.

And finally, K Rool. When I saw the Klaptrap AT, I was like, "Oh crap, the end reveal might be K Rool" and it was! His trailer was both hilarious AND epic! It was really exciting!

Also, we got FIVE newcomers, granted, three are echoes, but still. This brings us up to 4 original newcomers, with 4 echo fighters for a total of 8. Pretty solid I'd say.

Man, how exciting was that Direct!?
Totally worth waking up early for!
The game is perfect now. :')

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'll have to see more of Chrom, but if most of his moveset copies Roy's, then that was a mind-numbingly stupid decision on the development team's end. This means we now have four FE characters who share a similar moveset, making more than half of the seven characters copies of some sort. If you ain't good with one, then don't fret. You have three others to choose from. :glare:

I don't know. Just really wished we would've got more diversity with Chrom and FE as a whole.
I mean I get that they did it to keep him consistent with Lucina, otherwise his sword would be like double the size of hers for no reason but like...why...I wonder if he has Lucina's no sweetspot mechanic though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
why belmont? from what ive seen of the community he wasnt that in demand and why should castlevania be the first third party series to get a second fighter? dont know why i ever believed him when he wouldnt add third party characters willy nilly
People in the Internet Smash Communities aren't the only people who play Smash.
I can confirm that is the case

Although I'm glad for the fans that got what they wanted, especially the DK fans
You had Yoshi doing something moderately cool in the Items section. That's something, right?

I mean, none of the Veterans were explained in greater detail.
Nah, check Roy's video on the official website, it's still right there. Chrom's just taking different moves from different fighters because he can.
Viridi: You don't even have an Aether Recovery.
*literally the thing that sets him apart from the guy he's echoing*

Oh, Sakurai, never change.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Also, with the inclusion of Simon and Richter, I can add a new Versus/Battle name to my list:

Metroidvania = Samus & Ridley vs Simon & Richter

Or just Samus vs Simon if you prefer 1v1s.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'll have to see more of Chrom, but if most of his moveset copies Roy's, then that was a mind-numbingly stupid decision on the development team's end. This means we now have four FE characters who share a similar moveset, making more than half of the seven characters copies of some sort. If you ain't good with one, then don't fret. You have three others to choose from. :glare:

I don't know. Just really wished we would've got more diversity with Chrom and FE as a whole.
Because Sakurai is listening to fans after their crying outrage when Chrom got "screwed over" last game.

I'm a bit salty with Chrom because of the Awakening trio being in because I felt that's too many reps for one game as opposed to one per series until Lucina dropped out of alt attire and became a clone for Earth. Like since when did Sakurai made that decision to put all of the main characters in the same Smash?

Wait for another Echo Fire Emblem character to be in and I think it's gonna be Celicia now. Calling it

WaxPython

Smash Ace
im now convinced sakurai can read my mind and hates me

why belmont? from what ive seen of the community he wasnt that in demand and why should castlevania be the first third party series to get a second fighter? dont know why i ever believed him when he wouldnt add third party characters willy nilly

and once again the fire emblem characters our number the zelda characters that just is not fair

wont even bother unlocking everyone

a least k.rool's final smash is cool
I think the 30 plus tracks says enough for how badly requested Simon Belmont is and how badly everyone wanted him in including the dev team

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I'd also just like to say how happy I am to see that Paper Mario (the stage) is in. One of my favorite stages from one of my favorite series!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
With bringing back Mega Man and Ryu, and adding Ridley, I was happy enough, but now. Man this is the ****.

I'm definitely using the Belmonts along with Mega Man. No doubts.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Chrom will not let Palutena and Viridi roast him anymore
Chrom is a Roy Echo. it's on the website.
Chrom (and the other guy) both have an I instead of the echo symbol :ultdarkpit::ultlucina: have, which is weird
Monster Hunter will probably be the next third-party to be revealed. There's no way there's a stage and AT for a series with no playable rep.
Animal Crossing in Brawl
Nintendogs
Wrecking Crew
And some others

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Lip stick still hasn't been seen yet.
I can't wait until side tourneys with squad mode, it's going to be amazing.
Hate to be that guy (especially since I wanted Lip in the game).

Glad Richter means Shadow or Ken are more plausible, but even more glad Chrom deconfirmed the whole "carbon copy" nature of echoes that most people were dead set on.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Ultimate >>>>>>>>>>>>Two hundred miles later...>>>>>>>>>>> Smash 4 > Melee > Brawl = 64

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Guys I'm sorry but that Chrom character model looks HORRIBLE. Please tell me that I am not the only one who noticed it. I know he is an echo but damn at least polish him up a bit before the game gets released. He looks like a 3ds character

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I thought K.Rool had no hope. I guess I was wrong about that. I also think we saw every stage if you do the math (103 icons on the stage select screen, 103 stages we were told are in the game) which raises the question on which stage does the Monster Hunter boss appear since it would seem to be "none of those"...?
I think the leading theory is that it's a story mode stage/boss. The obscured menu option.

I'm excited about stage morphing. I did not see that coming AT ALL but it opens up some interesting possibilities. Two players selecting a stage independent of each other and playing a match where it morphs between the two for game 1, instead of striking? Would that even be feasible?

Also metered final smashes, with this also making them weaker. I rather doubt we'll suddenly see final smashes legal, but it's still an intriguing idea.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I asked before, going to ask again, do we believe we have all the stages now? I did not see the Monster Hunter one, and even though they quoted 100 stages, I am curious if that is their final number or just misdirection.

I feel like that is all the stages.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also, with the inclusion of Simon and Richter, I can add a new Versus/Battle name to my list:

Metroidvania = Samus & Ridley vs Simon & Richter

Or just Samus vs Simon if you prefer 1v1s.
Metroidvania Mania
Samus & Dark Samus vs Simon & Richter

Roberk

Smash Champion
Awakening wieners.jpg

4/7 of the FE cast is now post-Awakening. 3/7 is just Awakening. I'm happy for Chrom, he made the most sense for any Echo, but looking through the hindsight goggles makes me a bit disappointed. Hector DLC pls.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Also, I'm glad to finally see an ITEM from Fire Emblem.

The Killing Edge looks pretty sweet IMO.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'd say "we got two Castlevania characters but not Bomberman" but considering Echo status, that statement has less weight. Likewise, Fire Emblem character #7 is indeed here, but is just an echo (an echo of a clone, huh) rather than taking up unique development character time. Well hey, looks like Chrom finally gets his day!

...That just leaves Chorus Kids out of characters in Smash 4's Gematsu leak, which even if you were to ignore would leave with data and a Smash Run character suggesting a Rhythm Heaven character was in consideration. For all we know, maybe Sakurai cut that character and was like "oh we'll include thim next time" to the small(?) developer.

Just, GOSH I hope we're getting any Rhythm Heaven character this time.

So, Dark Samus, King K Rool and Simon Belmont all entered, but Ashley is just an assist again. Ah well. And with Shovel Knight it's pretty cool that indie team got such a representation at all?

Ah Vergeben, technically still credible considering Simon's in and Mimikyu's not playable. If he's right about some Minecraft representation, we could finally be seeing Banjo in there, as we're clearly already on a roll with fan service here. The most reasonable choice for an indie rep after that would be Shantae, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom