• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
How can you tell a character that you haven't played is bottom tier? Can you see the futur or something?:ultshulk:
"I CAN SEE THE FUTURE!"
---
Earlier today, Will Will posted this. Randomly generating a number for a character who would be top tier in Ultimate, he got Dr. Mario.

I just did the same, got #34, which is Ivysaur.

...What kind of crazy buffs would Ivysaur need to be top tier? :laugh:

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Not really. He has stat differences, his own number and no epsilon symbol.
I mean, I assumed Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link and Roy have their own number because they’re semi clones now. Isn’t “echo fighter” just the official term for clone?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He was in Melee.
Roy was not even close to being Marth's Echo Fighter. Roy was nowhere near as fast as Marth, and he was also lighter than Marth (in the NTSC-U version anyway). Roy also fell at a faster speed, making his overall recovery worse than Marth's recovery.

Anyway, hardly any of the clone fighters in Melee qualified as being Echo Fighters; Dr. Mario probably came the closest to being Mario's Echo Fighter, but that was no longer the case when Smash 3DS / Wii U came to existence.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I assumed Pichu, Dr. Mario, Young Link and Roy have their own number because they’re semi clones now. Isn’t “echo fighter” just the official term for clone?
It's an official term for fighters who share all of their moves and stats with another fighter.
Roy: Fire Blade
Pichu and Young Link: size
Dr. Mario: weight
They were never echo fighters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's... complicated.

Even back in Melee, the Clones had more effort put into them (as in, stat changes and the like) than Dark Pit and Lucina.

So... no?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nope.
Echo fighters are a type of clone that has the same stats, but only different properties on some moves.

?????????????

Smash Master
Does the fire blade and stat differences really make that much of a distinction? That sounds "echo-y" enough to me.

I mean, Daisy uses flowers. If she had different stats, would she be a semi-clone suddenly?

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
It's an official term for fighters who share all of their moves and stats with another fighter.
I get it now, so echo fighters pretty much only have visual differences and minor things like Lucina’s sword hitbox?

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's... complicated.

Even back in Melee, the Clones had more effort put into them (as in, stat changes and the like) than Dark Pit and Lucina.

So... no?
Basically echo fighters happen when people still ask for newcomers after 60 fighters.:p

?????????????

Smash Master
And wait, don't Marth and Lucina ALREADY have stat differences? Even a slight height difference?

And doesn't Dark Pit use electricity with his Side B?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Far too many post quotes for me to address them all but I'll just make a general statement.

Snake is the exception to the rule for several reasons he's not a typical heavy character , and dedede was only viable because of a broken chaingrab mechanic.

There's a good reason no heavy except snake is in high tier, they all share characteristics that make them easy to juggle and combo.

And Ridley is no different from what I've seen as one of the largest heavies with s huge hitbox unlike snake.

https://youtu.be/qg5BSxLGgZM

Enough said really, I don't have much else to say

KMDP

Smash Legend
And wait, don't Marth and Lucina ALREADY have stat differences? Even a slight height difference?

The height difference between Marth and Lucina is so small you'd be hard-pressed to find it making a difference (unlike with Young Link and Pichu).

And I don't think adding Electricity to Dark Pit's Side B is a statistical difference.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

They still don't have anything to balance them for larger cast.
It's just a few pixel and a move property.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, this makes it even less likely that Dixie Kong would be a Diddy echo, She would be a semi clone or completely unique.

?????????????

Smash Master
I agree that Roy isn't an echo now, but I think it's splitting hairs to say he WASN'T what our current definition of an echo was back then.

But this is a completely moot argument.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree that Roy isn't an echo now, but I think it's splitting hairs to say he WASN'T what our current definition of an echo was back then.

Marth was high tier in Melee, while Roy was low tier.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
All this echo talk is making me somewhat worried that Daisy is gonna end up like Dark Pit and get **** thrown at her for not being unique enough.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That categorization didn't exist until June 12th of this year.

Echo fighter =/= clone/semi-clone
An Echo Fighter is basically a clone character hiding under a new name. They definitely aren't semi-clones, but nothing has truly changed for them since Smash 4.

Unless Lucina and Dark Pit whip up some new moves like Dr. Mario, I don't see why we can't use clone and Echo interchangeably.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
An Echo Fighter is basically a clone character hiding under a new name. They definitely aren't semi-clones, but nothing has truly changed for them since Smash 4.

Unless Lucina and Dark Pit whip up some new moves like Dr. Mario, I don't see why we can't use clone and Echo interchangeably.
Because they're different things.
Pichu is still a clone of Pikachu, but clearly he isn't an echo.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Far too many post quotes for me to address them all but I'll just make a general statement.

Snake is the exception to the rule for several reasons he's not a typical heavy character , and dedede was only viable because of a broken chaingrab mechanic.

There's a good reason no heavy except snake is in high tier, they all share characteristics that make them easy to juggle and combo.

And Ridley is no different from what I've seen as one of the largest heavies with s huge hitbox unlike snake.

https://youtu.be/qg5BSxLGgZM

Enough said really, I don't have much else to say
Your point was that all heavy character were bottom, when they were in fact heavy character who weren't. Doesn't matter if snake is the only high tier, tier list aren't made of only "Top Tier" and "Bottom Tier" characters.

Ridley could very well end up like Bowser & DK in Smash 4: a decent character, but whose weakness don't make good for high play, but still decent enough that they aren't straigh up garbage.

But in all, calling characters from a game isn't finish bottom tier or high tier is just pointless at this time. Just wait for the game to come out before already calling who is good or bad.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There are certainly other fighting games that are still played competitively years after their release like Street Fighter 2 and such, Melee is just one of them.
The biggest difference is Street Fighter 2 has been ported to modern systems multiple times. So far Nintendo has shown no interest in port Melee to make it accessible without needing to lug old TVs around.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I honestly hope that Smash Ultimate isn't as bad as Smash 4 was... not because Smash 4 had some broken characters, but mostly what those broken characters did to the community.

?????????????

Smash Master
I mean.......

The toppest tier characters we've had are less based on "weight" and more based on "what cheap tricks can you pull of with this guy?"

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Your point was that all heavy character were bottom, when they were in fact heavy character who weren't. Doesn't matter if snake is the only high tier, tier list aren't made of only "Top Tier" and "Bottom Tier" characters.
No the point stands, you can't take my statement literally context is very important

This can't happen to Snake https://youtu.be/qg5BSxLGgZM

I group heavy fighters into that category ^ Snake is his own unique beast. And DK bad Bowser are Bottom tier, maybe my bottom tier is someone else's low tier.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Marth was high tier in Melee, while Roy was low tier.
And don't try to say "Marth is high tier, Lucina is mid tier" because that's a smaller gap in a much larger cast.

Also...
Roy had
1) A different sweetspot
2) A different weight
3) Different air speed
4) Different ground speed
5) More damage on Flare Blade than Shield Breaker in general.

Lucina has
1) No sweetspot
2) A pixels worth of height difference that might not even change the actual hitbox.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
People got soooooooo mad about the Vergeben Pokemon stuff, but at least that gave us something to actually discuss rather than,

"Was Roy used to be an echo or isn't? Am snakes heavy?"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Weren't their neutral specials different? One of them broke shields and one of them was a OHKO instead. They have the same animations (minus length and additional effects) but are otherwise widely different.

Isn't electroshock arm just a slightly stronger, electric version of upperdash arm that launches at a slightly different angle?
And more pointedly, Lucina's neutral special is still just Shield Breaker, same as Marth's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand haha. It's not like I paid attention to Melee at all (I played it for fun when I played it as a kid) so I'm probably wrong but hey

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No the point stands, you can't take my statement literally context is very important

This can't happen to Snake https://youtu.be/qg5BSxLGgZM

I group heavy fighters into that category ^ Snake is his own unique beast. And DK bad Bowser are Bottom tier, maybe my bottom tier is someone else's low tier.
Person A: Heavies are always bottom tier
Person B: *multiple examples of mid tier heavies*
Person A: Shut up you're taking me out of context also Jigglypuff doing cutesy things and an item combo means she's bottom 5

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dr. Mario and Mario did share the same weight in the NTSC-U version of Melee.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't really consider a new fighter that will likely be bottom tier something substantial.

He could just have been smash 4 DLC if new fighters is all people care about.

Bringing back stuff like airdodging that never should have been removed isn't enough for me.

Keeping the same announcer isn't a good sign, and it's the first smash game that's announced the same year it will be out.

I want subspace 2, a better event mode, classic mode to be done.

So far too much riding on nolstalgia not enough new new. December isn't that far away and we haven't seen much.

Just my unpopular opinion though subject to change
Criticizing something, especially when it's pretty much in its alpha build, over pure speculation isn't being critical, it's looking for **** to ***** about.

Mod Edit: Do not censor dodge

Last edited by a moderator:

?????????????

Smash Master
Weren't their neutral specials different? One of them broke shields and one of them was a OHKO instead. They have the same animations (minus length and additional effects) but are otherwise widely different.

Isn't electroshock arm just a slightly stronger, electric version of upperdash arm that launches at a slightly different angle?
And more pointedly, Lucina's neutral special is still just Shield Breaker, same as Marth's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand haha. It's not like I paid attention to Melee at all (I played it for fun when I played it as a kid) so I'm probably wrong but hey
No, I kinda neglected HOW different Marth and Roy's neutral specials are, which KMDP KMDP brought up too. It's a really good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom