• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
It’d be beautiful to see him holding the corpse of a Nintendo character (besides Mario of course)
Although, I've got to admit, after playing as him in a friend's custom PMEX Build

I fear he'd be more busted than pre-patch Bayonetta.

Thankfully, chain grabs are no longer an issue

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Although, I've got to admit, after playing as him in a friend's custom PMEX Build

I fear he'd be more busted than pre-patch Bayonetta.

Thankfully, chain grabs are no longer an issue
At best/worst he’d be as good as Ryu and get bodied by Bayo

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me: ever since Mortal Kombat changed hands, they haven't put a single MK related thing on Nintendo hardware, have they? Midway was so consistent about doing that, too.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Good morning everyone.
Just double checked the Smash Blog.
Smash Bomb / Fake Smash Ball is still down on everything but the Japanese Twitter/Blog
The English Twitter (Nintendo VS) has since posted something about Splatoon's new weapons and stage coming out tonight- no Smash Bomb tweet in sight lol

Huh.

Last edited:

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
On the topic of Phoenix Wright, as much as I love him I can't imagine him being an interesting fighter in Smash. About all he's got is pointing his finger and objecting. Now if cutie Apollo got in as an alt somehow... I'd be all for it.

I also kind of feel that way about Professor Layton. He has more going for him, but having him use a sword would be dumb because that's not really part of his character, just something he did once or twice across all his games. I did vote for him in the ballot but now I'm kind of asking myself why I ever did that.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
True that. I don’t think that Mimikyu is getting in just because it was popular after its reveal. I think it has the best chance of all Alolan Pokemon because The Pokemon Company intentionally designed it to be popular and probably told Sakurai.
Good morning everyone.
Just double checked the Smash Blog.
Smash Bomb / Fake Smash Ball is still down on everything but the Japanese Twitter/Blog
The English Twitter (Nintendo VS) has since posted something about Splatoon's new weapons and stage coming out tonight- no Smash Bomb tweet in sight lol

Huh.
It's really weird, huh? I wonder what's going on?

domriver

Smash Lord
So the website still has not been updated. Could it be a MEGA reveal tonight or later? a double whammy. I know the fake ball is on japan's twitter but everyone else! nada! We shall keep a close eye on this.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
So the website still has not been updated. Could it be a MEGA reveal tonight or later? a double whammy. I know the fake ball is on japan's twitter but everyone else! nada! We shall keep a close eye on this.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high if I were you. It could just be an error.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Not just twitter but the Japanese site as well.

So even if there was a reveal tonight, which there won't be, it probably would have nothing to do with the Smash Bomb being gone.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Phoenix Wright, as much as I love him I can't imagine him being an interesting fighter in Smash. About all he's got is pointing his finger and objecting. Now if cutie Apollo got in as an alt somehow... I'd be all for it.

I also kind of feel that way about Professor Layton. He has more going for him, but having him use a sword would be dumb because that's not really part of his character, just something he did once or twice across all his games. I did vote for him in the ballot but now I'm kind of asking myself why I ever did that.
I actually think Phoenix would be a great addition. There's a lot of potential for his moveset. He's kind of got that Villager type charm of using the mundane to fight while also being a reluctant fighter. I even made a moveset for him.

Overall Phoenix isn't a fighter, so his actual damage outputs will be a little low. However, just as he finishes off criminals in court, he has great knockback to KO foes. And, just as he often has to recover from near-defeat in trials, his recovery and jumps are good as well.

Specials:

Neutral Present Evidence: throws a random piece of evidence from the games with varying properties. Projectiles will travel about half of Battlefields length.

Side B Commute to work: Phoenix Wright rides his bike everywhere in the game and has no car or even a driver's license. This acts similar to Bowser Jr's attack. Does a slight hop at first when in the air, cancelling does not leave you in a vulnerable state

Up B From the Ashes: Maya and Mia Fey grab Phoenix by the legs and throw him into the air, helping him to recover just as they do in the games. Slow start-up but fast moving allowing for KO potential

Down B Objection: Phoenix slams his hands down on a table in front of him, if the opponent hits him as he slams, Phoenix will make his famous Objection declaration and finger point, which will act as a counter and send the desk flying as a projectile.

Jab: basic one-two punch with a kick at the end.

Side-tilt: stabs forward with a pencil

U-tilt: swats at the sky in an arc with papers in hand

D-tilt: swipes at the ground with a magnifying glass

F-Smash: swings a briefcase horizontally in front of himself

Up-Smash: Phoenix frustratedly throws his papers up in the air in a less than 180 degree radius above his head

Down-Smash: Edgeworth appears beside Phoenix and both make objection points at each other except they shout “hold it!” (Like the games). When they do so, they also stomp down their outside legs creating a small damaging shockwave on both sides.

N-air: Phoenix kicks in front of himself

U-air: Phoenix swipes upwards with his bike

F-air: Phoenix swipes with his briefcase

B-air: Phoenix does his objection point backwards

D-air: Phoenix does an elbow drop

Pummel: Phoenix hits with a piece of paper

F-throw: Phoenix yells “take that” and tosses the opponent forward

Down-throw: Phoenix rides his bike on top of the opponent for multiple light hits before sending the opponent upward

Back-throw: Phoenix once again yells “take that” and dropkicks the opponent behind him

Up-throw: Phoenix throws the opponent with a flurry of papers skyward

Final Smash: Judgement Day. One of Phoenix's nightmares is played out on stage as a giant, evil judge slams his gavel down on the stage. “GUILTY” comes across the sky.

Taunt 1: Phoenix, Maya, and Mia all raise their fists in the air in victory

Taunt 2: Phoenix bashfully scratches the back of his head smiling, a pose from his game

Taunt 3: Phoenix takes out some papers and taps them with skepticism, another pose from his game

Costumes: red reskin resembles Edgeworth, green Godot, orange Damon Gant, purple Manfred Von Karma. Others just recolors

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time the blog had been messed up a bit.

Falco was shown on 2 JUL, but wasn't shown on the website for a while.

Hell, the only way you can find Falco's post is if you search all and go all the way back to 2 JUL, or if you search with the Star Fox tag. He isn't even shown under the 'Fighter' dropdown, nor does he even have the 'Fighter' tag like the rest.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time the blog had been messed up a bit.

Falco was shown on 2 JUL, but wasn't shown on the website for a while.

Hell, the only way you can find Falco's post is if you search all and go all the way back to 2 JUL, or if you search with the Star Fox tag. He isn't even shown under the 'Fighter' dropdown, nor does he even have the 'Fighter' tag like the rest.
On sites that aren't the Japanese one, again.

Someone's going to be in trouble eventually hahahaha

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder how the Smash blog got so messed up today.

It's in so many languages so you'd think it had different people but it's off on every version.

Staarih

Smash Master
Haha wow, every other than the Asian sites need to really step up their game. I wouldn't be surprised if they just forgot to add the Fake Smash ball post back up. Might as well just rely on the Japanese/Asian site(s), which has everything tagged right and even has the additional Today's memory -posts.

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Haha wow, every other than the Asian sites need to really step up their game. I wouldn't be surprised if they just forgot to add the Fake Smash ball post back up. Might as well just rely on the Japanese/Asian site, which has everything tagged right and even has the Today's memory -posts.
Have I missed anything significant by not checking the Smash blog? Or is it just like surface level info we already know from e3/prior games?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wonder how the Smash blog got so messed up today.

It's in so many languages so you'd think it had different people but it's off on every version.
Every translated version, yeah

Also, I think since it's gotta be translated into English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and even AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH, people knowing what post goes up on any given day is possible (I can't imagine it's just one person doing this) but it's improbable that they would leak that information. So any kind of leak claiming that would pretty much be fake right off the bat. Just food for thought

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Every translated version, yeah

Also, I think since it's gotta be translated into English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and even AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH, people knowing what post goes up on any given day is possible (I can't imagine it's just one person doing this) but it's improbable that they would leak that information. So any kind of leak claiming that would pretty much be fake right off the bat. Just food for thought
English: "Pikachu is a nimble fighter with electric attacks"

Australian English: "Crikey. You call that a knife?"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That reminds me: ever since Mortal Kombat changed hands, they haven't put a single MK related thing on Nintendo hardware, have they? Midway was so consistent about doing that, too.
Guess they also weren’t fans of the Wii U

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
“Since the West is so busy talking up their leaks, they are banned from receiving blog posts for the remainder of time up until release...”

Last edited:

TailsTheAssassin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4398 2362 0516
“Since the West is so busy talking up to their leaks, they are banned from receiving blog posts for the remainder of time up until release...”
"We will also not translate all future Nintendo Directs and they will only be streamed on the Nintendo of Japan accounts."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"We will also not translate all future Nintendo Directs and they will only be streamed on the Nintendo of Japan accounts."
That's a shame. There's no way they'd ever reveal a character in a Japan-only Direct.

8fd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

What about a new Smash topic guys?

Wanted Assist Trophies from unrepped series of Sega, Capcom, Bamco and Square Enix, akin to Konami's Bomberman.

• Sega : Aiai from the Super Monkey Ball series
  • Capcom : Arthur from the Ghost'n Goblins series
  • Bamco : KOS-MOS from Xenosaga
  • Square Enix : Ayla from Chrono trigger

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Wanted Assist Trophies from unrepped series of Sega, Capcom, Bamco and Square Enix, akin to Konami's Bomberman.

- Sega: Crazy Taxi Jack Frost from SMT
- Square Enix: 2B from NieR Automata
- Capcom: Dante (Devil May Cry)
- Bandai Namco: Haseo from .hack G.U.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Sega: NIGHTS
Capcom: Amaterasu
Bandai Namco: Klonoa
Square Enix: Geno :D

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So true. When Lyn and Krystal ended up as ATs, that was my wake up call that no matter how popular a character is, how much sense their inclusion would make, or how much Sakurai wanted that character in Smash, it could mean little to nothing in the end, and characters we were so sure would be a shoo in, might not make it. We should prepare ourselves just in case the worst ends up happening.
I think people should avoid thinking any character is guaranteed (unless they were Inklings), but I don't know how it would be the disconfirmation of Lyn and Krystal that would break that delusion for people, those two were far from shoo-ins and were unlikely characters that had little going for them while facing big obstacles (I'm a bit surprised that Krystal even got an AT).

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I still wanna put up my fight for Deathborn, He'd be a great F-Zero addition and would really shake up the entire crowd. Plus, it would help people to get more into the F-Zero games like Ness and Lucas did for their game series

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

Sega: Arle from Puyo Puyo
Capcom: Phoenix Wright
Bamco: Dig Dug
Square Enix: Slime from DQ

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Sega: Kiryu from Yakuza
Capcom: Amaterasu from Okami
Namco: Mappy from Mappy
Square Enix: 2B (or Adam Jenson or Max from Life is Strange :grin:)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Sega: Welkin and the Edelweiss tank from Valkyria Chronicles
Capcom: Amaterasu from Okami
Bamco: King from Tekken (Mainly because I want one of Dunkey's joke predictions to come true, plus King is super cool)
Square Enix: Crono from Crono Trigger

dezeray112

Smash Hero

SEGA: Beat from Jet Set Radio.
CAPCOM: Rathalos from Monster Hunter.
Bandai Namco: Lindow Amamiya from God Eater.
Square-Enix: Slime from Dragon Quest.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

Sega: Ulala from Space Channel 5
Capcom: Roll from Megaman
Bamco: Nightmare from Soul Calibur
Square Enix: Riku from Kingdom Hearts

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

The new marketing intern must be running the website because uh

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's been over 5 hours since the JP site updated. The US update still not being up is kind of... bad. The fact it got removed but not put up is the bigger problem though.

It's just weird, honestly. But it's a lot to update. My guess is if they didn't basically make the site super big by default, it might've worked a bit better, but my guess is e3 showing off everyone might've been a plan they thought up almost entirely last-minute.
Doesn’t the blog usually have update on the Japanese one first and the US later?

Maybe they took it down because they released the blog too early and are going to release at around noon?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
So that dumb leak with the deadline is now dead, right?

PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler I don't get it, what's wrong with the post?
Nothing is wrong with the post. People were conspiracy theorizing that the Fake Smash Ball post being taken down from the US site means something. Clearly, it was just a mistake (just like the missing Falco post and Olimar being spelled "Olimer" for a few weeks), considering NintendoVS posted it on Twitter.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You know what, I have a fun game for us to play...

Name the number one character from each Franchise that you know isn't going to be in Smash (like ever), but would love to see
I'll go first
Mario: Fawful
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong
Wario: Captain Syrup
Metroid: Mother Brain's Final form in Super Metroid
Zelda: Vaati or Tingle
MOTHER: Kumatora
Star Fox: James Mc.Cloud
Punchout: Mr.Sandman
Pokemon: Braixen
Fire Emblem: I dunno, Lyn?
Sonic: Blaze
Kid Icarus: Magnus
F-Zero: Deadborn
Kirby: Gooey
Metal Gear: Raiden
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
PAC-MAN: Tac-Man
Xenoblade: Dunban
Street Fighter: Alex
Final Fantasy: Noctis
Bayonetta: Father Rodin
Splatoon: Dj Ocatvio
(if Castlevania does get in: Trevor Belmont)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Doesn’t the blog usually have update on the Japanese one first and the US later?

Maybe they took it down because they released the blog too early and are going to release at around noon?
Having it’s release delayed by nearly a day would be weird
That's a shame. There's no way they'd ever reveal a character in a Japan-only Direct.

“Really Feel it Mac”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom