• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about Phoenix Wright in smash?
Ace Attorney is easily in my top 3 franchises of all time, so Phoenix would be one of the best long-shot characters for me. Especially if he had alts of other characters like Apollo, Athena and Edgeworth!
The only Fire Emblem character worth trash talking is Takumi
Takumi is one of the only, like, five characters I actually like in Fates.

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Hehehe, I'm the FARTHEST thing from a New Yorker while still being American (a Seattlite). I wouldn't know...
Ever since watching Frasier I've always wanted to visit Seattle. It looks like a lovely place.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Just adding some fuel to the fire for a potential announcement at EVO. One of the Evo staff guys posted this earlier, could be Soul Calibur, Tekken or any other game related, but we can dream, right?

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/1024209622368837634

I'm not expecting anything...Smash at least.

Now Soul Calibur, on the other hand...can't wait to see those reveals!

Knowing Nintendo though, we'll get something dropped mid-August, and that'll have to sustain us until a Smash Direct around early November.

Levy22

Smash Cadet

Knowing Nintendo though, we'll get something dropped mid-August, and that'll have to sustain us until a Smash Direct around early November.
That's honestly what I'm expecting as well. But the exhibition on Friday should be fun to watch. :)

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman

While I doubt it's Smash, Nintendo has been a lot more supportive of the tournament scene since Smash 4 came out so I won't write it off entirely. But I do think it's unlikely based on precedent.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Welp, 1,2 Switch rep confirmed.

Also as much as I love the DLC I feel a little bummed Star Allies sold that well when Robobot didn't
I feel like I'm the only one not getting all the praise for Robobot, it was okay, but nothing about it really stood out about it in comparison to Triple Deluxe or even Star Allies, it followed the same formular and the only spin it put on the series was new sorts of environments, yet the Kirby fanbase is hopelessly in love with it. I still feel like RtD is by far the best modern Kirby game, but even it has its fair share of flaws.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like I'm the only one not getting all the praise for Robobot, it was okay, but nothing about it really stood out about it in comparison to Triple Deluxe or even Star Allies, it followed the same formular and the only spin it put on the series was new sorts of environments, yet the Kirby fanbase is hopelessly in love with it. I still feel like RtD is by far the best modern Kirby game, but even it has its fair share of flaws.
Well Robobot has more dynamic camera angles, a surprisingly tragic story, new environments the Kirby franchise doesn't really explore, a good blend of old and new bosses as fanservice, a better extra mode than Triple Deluxe could provide, the 3D Rumble minigame, a ****ing gorgeous soundtrack, surprising difficulty, a use for the sticker collectables albeit minor, encouraged exploration more than Star Allies does and a better super gimmick. Star Allies' only real boon imo is the DLC, and Triple Deluxe while fun, felt a bit lacking imo, especially with how boring Hypernova is

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While I might rank Triple Deluxe just slightly above Planet Robobot, but Planet Robobot was absolutely amazing. We had a lot of brand new and unique settings in the game new to series and the Robobot armour really added a great new twist to levels with cool puzzles. I also felt it was harder than your average Kirby game. And among the best selection of copy abilities in the game.

Together with Triple Deluxe, I believe they make the best duo of games in the series.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Well Robobot has more dynamic camera angles, a surprisingly tragic story, new environments the Kirby franchise doesn't really explore, a good blend of old and new bosses as fanservice, a better extra mode than Triple Deluxe could provide, the 3D Rumble minigame, a ****ing gorgeous soundtrack, surprising difficulty, a use for the sticker collectables albeit minor, encouraged exploration more than Star Allies does and a better super gimmick. Star Allies' only real boon imo is the DLC, and Triple Deluxe while fun, felt a bit lacking imo, especially with how boring Hypernova is
Hey, now. Triple Deluxe had Dededetour. That's gotta count for something, right? But yeah, Robobot was amazing.

D

Deleted member

why has there been such a random push for Gardevoir to be a echo of Rosalina lately??

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does anyone have the details of this Game & Watch leak? I missed it, but I'm interested.
You're not missing much, he said Game & Watch would be revealed tonight and he wasn't. Didn't list any newcomers and said K Rool would be an assist trophy

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of Wario, anyone else find it a little odd that in the game celebrating the whole WarioWare series, Wario Man is absent?
Wario-Man probably wouldn't work well with the game's story, which is likely why we got this...

Also, it should be noted that unlike all the other characters, Wario Deluxe actually mocks you for failing his microgames, instead of feeling disappointed like in the past WarioWare installments.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wario-Man probably wouldn't work well with the game's story, which is likely why we got this...

Also, it should be noted that unlike all the other characters, Wario Deluxe actually mocks you for failing his microgames, instead of feeling disappointed like in the past WarioWare installments.
I also like that it implies that Wario's various alt forms over the years are all psychosomatic

Because the "artifact" that supposedly powers him up is a chamberpot. A cleaned one but still.

D

Deleted member

This should be king Wario lol

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just adding some fuel to the fire for a potential announcement at EVO. One of the Evo staff guys posted this earlier, could be Soul Calibur, Tekken or any other game related, but we can dream, right?

Assuming anything Smash-related gets revealed, I guess this is where we could see the reveal of Simon or Isabelle if Vergeben is right, or Springman if the EVO rumor is real.

Sorry to add on to the responses you've already gotten, but I can kinda understand where you're coming from. It wasn't exactly a huge deviation from the previous games, and most of the elements were reused.

However, like you pointed out, the new environments are what make this game stand out to me. I'm tired of the typical grass, ocean, and volcano stages we always get, so anything new is very appreciated. Getting areas based off of busy intersections, train cars, a billiards table, and an ice cream vendor machine was extremely unique for Kirby, and I felt like it really helped Robobot stand out.

I know you feel differently, but for me, it's: RtD < TD < SA < PR

why has there been such a random push for Gardevoir to be a echo of Rosalina lately??
Because people don't understand that there's more to an Echo than just looking like an existing character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, now. Triple Deluxe had Dededetour. That's gotta count for something, right? But yeah, Robobot was amazing.
Well Dedetour is just playing through the levels again as Dedede. Meta Knightmare modes and Guest Star mode had another gimmick, the stat boosts, power points and a more different feeling, only difference between Dedede and Hammer Kirby is the cutting hammer beam, whereas Meta Knight flies differently and has moves Sword Kirby doesn't have like the up and down thrust and again, the powers

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Well Dedetour is just playing through the levels again as Dedede. Meta Knightmare modes and Guest Star mode had another gimmick, the stat boosts, power points and a more different feeling, only difference between Dedede and Hammer Kirby is the cutting hammer beam, whereas Meta Knight flies differently and has moves Sword Kirby doesn't have like the up and down thrust and again, the powers
True enough. I'm just a big fan of Dedede so that was enough for me, haha.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally found Triple Deluxe okay at best, perhaps even if underwhelming after coming from RTD because not much felt new compared to that game.

Planet Robobot though, I truly call giving very fresh, imaginative take on Kirby's traditional formula, which elevated me to my most favorite Kirby of the bunch (though next to RTD, Triple Deluxe is kind of behind both). Makes me thus still bummed we didn't get Robobot Armor as Kirby's Final Smash for Ultimate, but what can you do.

Star Allies so far feels indeed kind of lacking atm, though the Dream Friends makes it have some novelty.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Record number but that doesn't mean we'll get anything smash necessarily. There are oodles of fighting games in development right now.

Street Fighter V Season 3
Soul Calibur VI
DOA 6
And there's hints that somethng new Mortal Kombat is happening.

Fingers crossed but I'm sceptical.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Speaking of Wario Ware. I really want to hear a remix of this song from Wario Ware

Jimmy is the music guy in Wario Ware so it makes sense to have a theme associated with in Smash and this is just dying for a proper remix to flesh the song out properly. It's perfect!!

D

Deleted member

Record number but that doesn't mean we'll get anything smash necessarily. There are oodles of righting games in development right now.

Soul Calibur VI
DOA 6

You forgot about smash ultimate

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Record number but that doesn't mean we'll get anything smash necessarily. There are oodles of righting games in development right now.

Soul Calibur VI
DOA 6

Feels like rolling a wanted ability in Splatoon... :drwtf:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I might rank Triple Deluxe just slightly above Planet Robobot, but Planet Robobot was absolutely amazing. We had a lot of brand new and unique settings in the game new to series and the Robobot armour really added a great new twist to levels with cool puzzles. I also felt it was harder than your average Kirby game. And among the best selection of copy abilities in the game.

Together with Triple Deluxe, I believe they make the best duo of games in the series.
The difficulty point surprises me a bit, of course the True Arena is difficult as it always is, but the story mode, regular Arena and Metaknightmare were all pretty basic imo, not Star Allies easy mind you, but I completed the story mode in 5 hours on my first playthrough, so I really didn't feel like I got much bang for my buck.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded with the series, because the opinion on Robobot is overwhelmingly positive, so I don't doubt that it did something right, I just don't really see it, and neither do I see anything in Triple Deluxe or Star Allies, they're all just okay but play their cards very safe. I feel like alongside Pokémon it's the series that most needs a serious shakeup to its formular, it needs to surprise us.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I also like that it implies that Wario's various alt forms over the years are all psychosomatic

Because the "artifact" that supposedly powers him up is a chamberpot. A cleaned one but still.
It could also explain some of the bathroom humor that's in the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Record number but that doesn't mean we'll get anything smash necessarily. There are oodles of fighting games in development right now.

Soul Calibur VI
DOA 6

Mortal Kombat 9 and X ported to the Switch and MK11 in general

...also Scorpion for Smash

D

Deleted member

Soul Calibur VI
DOA 6

It'd be kind of funny if they announced a new Mortal Kombat on Sunday considering Injustice finals are on Day 2.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The difficulty point surprises me a bit, of course the True Arena is difficult as it always is, but the story mode, regular Arena and Metaknightmare were all pretty basic imo, not Star Allies easy mind you, but I completed the story mode in 5 hours on my first playthrough, so I really didn't feel like I got much bang for my buck.

Maybe I'm just getting jaded with the series, because the opinion on Robobot is overwhelmingly positive, so I don't doubt that it did something right, I just don't really see it, and neither do I see anything in Triple Deluxe or Star Allies, they're all just okay but play their cards very safe. I feel like alongside Pokémon it's the series that most needs a serious shakeup to its formular, it needs to surprise us.
That feeling you get when you think someone quoted you to agree with your idea of a new song but instead talked something entirely different.

Sad times.

Maybe I'll go dance with some cats

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
Mortal Kombat 9 and X ported to the Switch and MK11 in general

...also Scorpion for Smash
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Scorpion get the Smash treatment
Mainly because I would main the hell out of him

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Scorpion get the Smash treatment
Mainly because I would main the hell out of him
It’d be beautiful to see him holding the corpse of a Nintendo character (besides Mario of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom