• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Tbh if a Rhythm Heaven character makes it in smash they would have to be like game and watch with a 3D model that looks 2D. An actual 3D model wouldn't work well and would take out the appeal.

I feel like that would be a challenge for sakurai since RH characters are not a black sillouhette like G&W which is easier to trick the eye. I kinda doubt a RH character will make it in since I'm sure Sakurai would feel the same and with Ultimate feeling already challenging to make further makes me doubt it even more.

but I'd love to be proven wrong

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Tbh if a Rhythm Heaven character makes it in smash they would have to be like game and watch with a 3D model that looks 2D. An actual 3D model wouldn't work well and would take out the appeal.

I feel like that would be a challenge for sakurai since RH characters are not a black sillouhette like G&W which is easier to trick the eye. I kinda doubt a RH character will make it in since I'm sure Sakurai would feel the same and with Ultimate feeling already challenging to make further makes me doubt it even more.

I think it depends on why Chorus Kids were cut from Smash 4. Was it just due to 3ds limitations, or were there other reasons? Sakurai might want to give Rhythm Heaven a rep, but if he couldn't get them to work at all then he might just put his energy elsewhere.

D

Deleted member

What if they were faster and stronger if you did stuff to the beat of the song playing in the background?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

It really depends. Both Inklings and Ridley were challenging to do, with the former having their whole ink mechanic on both the stage and the characters, and the latter...well Sakurai stated several times that making him playable would have been a tough challenge, but he finally accomplished it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Basing anything on background BPM is going to make a RH character impossible. They would need to use a different measure of rhythm.

I think something that would work is "establishing" your own rhythm by attacking at a certain frequency, like setting up a metronome. Doing this gives your moves more priority and a buff based on the 'tempo' of your rhythm (fast results in weaker but faster attacks, slow results in more powerful attacks). And to build off this, you can do a Rhythm Finisher by making use of a half-beat. An attack close to the beat will be a fast finisher, an attack after the beat will be a delayed, stronger finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJEMH_emBM
Here's a metronome. Imagine throwing out an attack when it's in the middle consistently for a bonus, and then attacking when it's at the sides for a finisher. I'm not great with musical terms so I hope this wasn't too hard to understand. I think people who play RH will kind of understand what I mean, especially if you think of a minigame like Monkey Watch or Lockstep as an example move.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's the end of July, and Nintendo's sales report came in. Take a look at how well some of the Switch games have sold.

In millions:

Super Mario Odyssey - 11.17
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10.35
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9.32
Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 1.42
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - 1.40
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Pokken Tournament DX - 1.16
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - >1
Super Bomberman R - >1

First off, can we stop saying ARMS failed now, or is 2 million not enough? The game sold well, people!

Overall, pretty impressive numbers. More than half of the people who own a Switch bought Odyssey and MK8D, and I'm proud to say Tropical Freeze is inching its way to two million despite being a port (DK is popular Sakurai. Hint, hint). I believe the only first-party Switch games that haven't hit a million yet are FEW and Captain Toad (which came out less than three weeks ago, so expecting a million this quickly is probably asking for too much).

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It's the end of July, and Nintendo's sales report came in. Take a look at how well some of the Switch games have sold.

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

First off, can we stop saying ARMS failed now, or is 2 million not enough? The game sold well, people!

Overall, pretty impressive numbers. More than half of the people who own a Switch bought Odyssey and MK8D, and I'm proud to say Tropical Freeze is inching its way to two million despite being a port (DK is popular Sakurai. Hint, hint). I believe the only first-party Switch games that haven't hit a million yet are FEW and Captain Toad (which came out less than three weeks ago, so expecting a million this quickly is probably asking for too much).
This report doesn't count July sales as far as I'm aware, so that is why we lack numbers on Captain Toad and Octopath.

On the other hand I remember Tecmo Koei announcing in one of their sales report that FE Warriors barely surpassed the million of copies, but I might be mistaken.

Staarih

Smash Master
On the other hand I remember Tecmo Koei announcing in one of their sales report that FE Warriors barely surpassed the million of copies, but I might be mistaken.
Yeah I remember that too, though I think it was a million across both the Switch and 3DS versions (but undoubtedly the Switch version has sold the majority).

I believe the only first-party Switch games that haven't hit a million yet are FEW and Captain Toad
I guess Hyrule Warriors (yet another port) too since you're counting FEW.

Also, Labo has collectively sold 1,39 million, so good numbers all around. With the direction ARMS and XC2 are going (the latter being, like, the biggest success for Monolith Soft), I'll be damned if neither get content in Smash, DLC or otherwise.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I saw Fire Emblem talk on the last page and I'm here. If I were to rank the siblings:

Takumi > Leo > Elise > Xander > Ryoma > Hinoka > Camilla

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

Nice to see some sales figures. 1-2 Switch did better than I thought it would kek

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

Welp, 1,2 Switch rep confirmed.

Also as much as I love the DLC I feel a little bummed Star Allies sold that well when Robobot didn't

Danpal65

Smash Lord

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

It does my heart good to see Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doing so well. You could even say it is Rexcellent :p

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Also as much as I love the DLC I feel a little bummed Star Allies sold that well when Robobot didn't
I think a lot of the strong sales is due to the Switch having momentum, rather than the quality of the games themselves. Not that they're bad games, but the right game on the right console makes a big difference. Even Wii U ports are doing better than they did on the Wii U.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think a lot of the strong sales is due to the Switch having momentum, rather than the quality of the games themselves. Not that they're bad games, but the right game on the right console makes a big difference. Even Wii U ports are doing better than they did on the Wii U.
Oh absolutely, 1,2 Switch in particular having an advantage due to being close to launch with not much else to compete. I'm just being petty because Robobot honestly raised the standards of a Kirby game to me

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guess Hyrule Warriors (port number three lol) too since you're counting FEW.
Actually, I just forgot about HW entirely. Last I checked, that game hadn't even broke 300,000.

As for FEW, KT is saying that nearly a million copies of both versions combined have been shipped, but actual sales are a lot lower than that (Not that KT cares. They still get paid by retail stores for the copies they shipped regardless). The sales are probably closer to 700,000 combined, with NA making up nearly half of those sales.

Can't be helped really. Even if Star Allies was the absolute worst Kirby game to have ever existed, it would still have the advantage of being on a console in its early life. Most newer Kirby games aren't that fortunate.

More than 80% of 1-2-Switch's sales came from the first two months. Being a launch title is what saved it, otherwise it would've been littering the discounted games sections in stores.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

Fire Emblem Warriors has sold over 1 million worldwide. It's just not in the sales report, for whatever reason.
http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/173317181949

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Monday Smash update for everyone but Japan:

Also, the series rep anniversary pattern has been officially broken, at this point we shouldn't even be looking for any patterns beyond wednesdays.

Hey everyone. So, here's a wild imagination I had in mind; since Nintendo & Microsoft are in a somewhat good "relationship" in terms of cross-play with games such as Minecraft & Fortnite; what if (and its a BIG IF- so take it with a grain of salt if you will since it will never happen, just dream.) Nintendo buys back all of Rare's Ips from Microsoft, in terms of newcomers, I would expect Banjo-Kazooie to be fully considered and of course, my man...View attachment 155003
FULGORE!! I need *dat* ULTRA COMBO with the iconic sfx as his final smash.

It's every Nintendo fans' dream; a true definition of the term, "EVERYONE IS HERE"!

Other honorable mentions
  • Rash from Battletoads
  • Conker
Also here are a few characters that I think are good as assist trophies...
Kameo from Kameo: Elements of Power
Juno & Vela- Jet Force Gemini
Cooper- Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Hudson from Viva Pinata
It warms my heart to see someone else believe that the JFG twins can be in as ATs.

sure i can do this.

Mario Bros Series - Birdo. Because Birdo is cool.

Donkey Kong Series: Funky kong I guess? he's cool and i like him more than most other dk characters.

Wario Series - Mona??? I don't have much experience w/ wario characters.

Punch Out Series - bear hugger (or whatever his name is) cuz canadian pride!!. in actuality i don't really have an opinion.

Metroid Series - I have no idea. One of the hunters from metroid prime hunters? Haven't played a metroid game since prime.

Kid Icarus Series - would like Magnus. Viridi, Hades, Medusa or Phospora would be cool too!

Kirby Series - Bandana Dee!! I'd also accept Magolor but i'd be kinda sad about it.

Star fox Series - I'm the only person who likes Panther so him. I expect that if we're getting a new star fox character it'll be leon or pigma i guess.

Pikmin Series - no idea. Louie I guess?

Capcom Third Party - Amaterasu!! More animal fighters!!
Damn straight, sir.

That's cool, most want Funky in as well (including me).

That's fine, I'm Canadian myself and it'd be neat to see him in here. :p

That's okay! you managed to suggest one of the best WW characters.

Sylux, he's easily the most popular MPH character.

Great taste in KI choices all around.

I'd take either of them, honestly.

Pretty good, although there can possibly be Miyu and/or Fay as well.

Pikmin 3 has a few more captains.

You got that right.

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

Nice to see Tropical Freeze in the Top 10 (knock on wood). I wonder if Mario Tennis Aces being lower will send a message that the Mario Tennis games are getting weaker these last few years.

Can't be helped really. Even if Star Allies was the absolute worst Kirby game to have ever existed, it would still have the advantage of being on a console in its early life. Most newer Kirby games aren't that fortunate.
Yeah, but on the bright side most recent Kirby games weren't stuck on the Wii U, it's like HAL knew it would bomb on day one, so they put a spin-off on there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nice to see Tropical Freeze in the Top 10 (knock on wood). I wonder if Mario Tennis Aces being lower will send a message that the Mario Tennis games are getting weaker these last few years.
I don't think that's the general opinion since Aces was a step in the right direction.
Admittedly in a negligible amount, but still in the right direction.

Camelot has just kinda been a bit of a poop dev in terms of quality content after we got past Mario Strikers Charged. Probably because they had to do development for a multitude of games at the same time.

Aces was probably a lucky shot because they essentially just reused the Ultra Smash engine and rebuilt the game up to Aces, and nobody even seemed to notice or care.

At the very least, it's a pretty great couch multiplayer experience.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fire Emblem Warriors has sold over 1 million worldwide. It's just not in the sales report, for whatever reason.
http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/173317181949
That's a combined total for both versions, not for the Switch itself.

And those numbers account for copies shipped, not actual sales. KT still gets their money regardless, but they won't be able to ship out more if the first batch doesn't sell well enough.

I wonder if Mario Tennis Aces being lower will send a message that the Mario Tennis games are getting weaker these last few years.
Actually, Aces is doing phenomenally well compared to Ultra. These numbers only make up for two weeks in June, so we could end up seeing Aces sell anywhere from 2.5-3.0 million.

Aces wasn't a fantastic game, but it was a huge step in the right direction. At the very least, this will send a message to them about the notable improvement.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

In millions:

Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1

Nintendo's is proud to have so many million sellers when you know that if an EA game sells less than 5 million, the developers will be flogged and their studio dissolved.

As for Octopath, we know it sold out physical copies twice over in Japan but we don't know how much they stocked in the first place.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think that's the general opinion since Aces was a step in the right direction.
Admittedly in a negligible amount, but still in the right direction.

Camelot has just kinda been a bit of a poop dev in terms of quality content after we got past Mario Strikers Charged. Probably because they had to do development for a multitude of games at the same time.

Aces was probably a lucky shot because they essentially just reused the Ultra Smash engine and rebuilt the game up to Aces, and nobody even seemed to notice or care.

At the very least, it's a pretty great couch multiplayer experience.
Actually, Aces is doing phenomenally well compared to Ultra. These numbers only make up for two weeks in June, so we could end up seeing Aces sell anywhere from 2.5-3.0 million.

Aces wasn't a fantastic game, but it was a huge step in the right direction. At the very least, this will send a message to them about the notable improvement.
Well, that's fair enough. If nothing else, it also did put Wario and Waluigi in a proper antagonistic role for once before Bowser yanked things away yet again.

D

Deleted member

Well, that's fair enough. If nothing else, it also did put Wario and Waluigi in a proper antagonistic role for once before Bowser yanked things away yet again.
Haha, well, even then they were just kinda possessed so I don't think the game has that aspect going for it either.

But ey, at least Waluigi's theme in his only main antagonist role (Mario DDR) was absolutely amazing, that's something for sure.

Though it's still pre-bad-camelot. *sigh*

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of Wario, anyone else find it a little odd that in the game celebrating the whole WarioWare series, Wario Man is absent?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Haha, well, even then they were just kinda possessed so I don't think the game has that aspect going for it either.

But ey, at least Waluigi's theme in his only main antagonist role (Mario DDR) was absolutely amazing, that's something for sure.

Though it's still pre-bad-camelot. *sigh*
To be fair, villains seem to be in control of their faculties when exploiting Lucien's powers, unlike poor Luigi.

Speaking of Waluigi themes, Waluigi Pinball better be here in some form.

Speaking of Wario, anyone else find it a little odd that in the game celebrating the whole WarioWare series, Wario Man is absent?
Hmm, that's interesting, they might have forgotten that since it has been years. It does allow some room for more cast focus, at least.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Splatoon 2 - 6.76
1-2-Switch - 2.45
ARMS - 2.01
Kirby Star Allies - 1.89
Mario Tennis Aces - 1.38
Super Bomberman R - >1
Nice to see ARMS and Tropical Freeze doing so well!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Nintendo's is proud to have so many million sellers when you know that if an EA game sells less than 5 million, the developers will be flogged and their studio dissolved.
Which is a shame, because you can tell Nintendo encourages quality over quantity and would rather delay a game if needed. Not every studio it owns has a good track record, but most people have faith that the Nintendo game they buy will be fun to play - not just a cash grab that abuses DLC and loot boxes.

D

Deleted member

I already love the hell out of him in Mahvel 3, but I'd be really eager to see his Mahvel-moveset translate into Smash.
Each time I see your signature I rather see Zelda being decapitated than what you intended it to be.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Although I like MTA, it's story mode was kinda lacking. It didn't even have all the playable characters featured (Rosalina, Toadette and my boi)
As a New Yorker, saying "I like MTA" is pretty blasphemous. Then I figured out what you were actually talking about :laugh:

---

And still no blog update for other regions? Weird...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
As a New Yorker, saying "I like MTA" is pretty blasphemous. Then I figured out what you were actually talking about :laugh:

---

Hehehe, I'm the FARTHEST thing from a New Yorker while still being American (a Seattlite). I wouldn't know...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Each time I see your signature I rather see Zelda being decapitated than what you intended it to be.
Ẏ̶̻͓̗͇̻͌͊̈͂͛͌̆́͘ȍ̢̢̢͖̗̦̱̭̌̀̃̈́̕̚͠u̵͉̬̺̖͚̹̼͌̀̍̄͑͜'̡̧̠̣̬̜̹͗͆̈́̆́͞ͅr̸̡͈͍̱̮̪̠̩̿̑̅͒͗́̀͌ͅè̞̻̘̞͓̲͎͈̪̣̂̈́̏̿͘͡͠ n̢̡̫͇̼̾̃̅́̽̾͢ȅ̷̛̼̤̗̰̝̫͕͍̱͑͂̓͐͗̅̊̂͟x̴̧̜͖̥̳͓͚̥̅̽̈̇͆͋͜ţ̧͖̭̯͕̠̅̀̓̑̕͢͡.̶̖̗͙̜̮͎͇̘̽̓̾̐̀̄͑̔͢͡

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I saw Fire Emblem talk on the last page and I'm here. If I were to rank the siblings:

Takumi > Leo > Elise > Xander > Ryoma > Hinoka > Camilla
*Completely leaves Sakura off a list of ranked siblings* This is the only correct list.

---

Hey I'm a NYC native! Moved recently (2 years...) but defintely read that and thought huh I forgot how deep the Subway lore went XD.

Yeah idk what happened with updates. APPARENTLY they were up in all countries for a bit then they dropped from all and reappeared in Japan (some people didn't even have it disappear from the Japan site so who knows...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom