• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Super Mario Land Dungeon Theme remix alone made it awesome.
YES!!

I LOVED the SMLand underground theme remix from the first time I heard it. SML is pretty much the only Mario game I've really played (blasphemy!) so I did love seeing hearing it.

I will always and forever associate that theme with Squirtle as well since it played during his SSE scenes. I'd look for a gif of him doing his idle in tune, but I can't get one...but here's Ultimate Squirtle

OMG SO CUTE!!

Daisy, hope you bring another tune with you - :007: has stolen your game's theme.
That guy is me, and I'm here with some more "leaks." I apologize for my inactivity as of late, but my summer vacation is ending soon and I'm rushing through Persona 5 to beat it before it ends. Anyways...
...no fun Dragonborn leaks?:urg: Come on 4chan leakers! Start bringing Dovahkiin back in!

But I have to say...
> Hyrule Warriors DLC announcement. You can now play as all the champions, November
ALL OF MY WANT!

I'm not expecting them to show up playable in Smash, so this is what I need. Plus a nice BotW Adventure Mode map...

Although a four Champs assist could be awesome (and then we could get hi-res trophies of them too!). Or the idea that someone had about a Champion Codec...

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Seriously though, we ought to prepare for scenarios like these (K. Rool being an assist trophy, Chrom still being in Robin's final smash, etc.) to happen or else we're going to be sorely disappointed.
Too true I just feel like Chrom got far too much attention in smash 4 more than any other cut character, like Sakurai wanted him in but just couldn't find a way to make him stand out so he had to cut him.

The Iightning could be his way of doing it, He's the most logical choice for an echo fighter I could think of.

And every single leak is consistently pointing him out as being playable for what it's worth. I'm sure not showcasing Robin's final smash was a conscious effort on Sakurai's part

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's fake but...

Wario's default in Brawl was his Warioware outfit
That's because the WarioWare outfit represents the WarioWare series, and Wario uses his own emblem, instead of the Super Mario Bros. series' emblem. King K. Rool only used his Kaptain K. Rool alter ego in two games, and while it could serve as an outfit change for K. Rool, it probably won't be the default outfit.

Enchess

Smash Lord
That's because the WarioWare outfit represents the WarioWare series, and Wario uses his own emblem, instead of the Super Mario Bros. series' emblem. King K. Rool only used his Kaptain K. Rool alter ego in two games, and while it could serve as an outfit change for K. Rool, it probably won't be the default outfit.
To be fair, Ganondorf and Zelda had their outfits changed to represent OoT and LttP(/LbtW), frequently cited as the best in the Zelda series. K Rool, like Ganondorf/Zelda and unlike Mario or DK, got frequent new designs. Why not use the one from the most loved game in the series?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The lightning effect Warriors gives Chrom is barely noticeable to begin with.

That and there would be nothing wrong with his version of Eruption still having fire. Make the flames white and rename the move to "Awakening" and bam, it references the Awakening Rite, where he was bathed in Naga's flames to power up Falchion.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong fire is cool as hell, it's just that lightning is way cooler.

Although white fire would be a nice compromise if the lightning leak isn't real. Would look so cool with his side special though along with the new kill confirm effects.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
Okay, here goes.

Super Mario Bros Series - Toad or Captain Toad. He’s been playable since the 80s. And as a Captain has his own game on three systems.

Donkey Kong Series: K. Rool - Villain, huge moveset potential, awesome.

Wario Series - 9Volt. I realize Ashley’s the obvious choice. But 9Volt would play better. Unless it’s supposed to be the Wario Land franchise, then Captain syrup.

Game and Watch Series - I don’t know of other characters.

Punch Out Series - Bald Bull. Also give him arm wrestling mask as alt.

Zelda Series - Vaati - Minish cap and both four sword games are fun.

Metroid Series - Weavil - Had the most fun playing as them in Hunters.

Kid Icarus Series - Medusa - Villain from the original game, played by Cree Summer, just too much awesome.

Fire Emblem Series - Arvis - Evil Fire mage who’s the best Nintendo villain in terms of winning.

Duck Hunt Series - Mike Anderson (Battle Clash, the game made to market the super scope)

Kirby Series - Bandana dee - He’s got a spear and his moveset is like 90% done just for being a Kirby character.

Star fox Series - Honestly I just want a James McCloud Alt.

Pokémon Series - Smeargle - Sketch would be a unique concept and he’s freaking adorable.

Gyromite Series - Bonk. Yeah, this doesn’t make sense, but Bonk rules.

Mother Series - Porky - Villain, has fought in smash, and he transcends mother games.

F - Zero Series - as tempting as another James McCloud alt is... I want Pico.

Animal Crossing Series - KK Slider

Pikmin Series - Brittney - I don’t really know the Series well.

Wii Fit Series - there aren’t other characters except the balance board itself. So I guess that as an item.

Xenoblade Series - Rex/Pyra - I enjoyed 2 more than X.

Dr Mario Series - The Viruses - They’d be more original than Dr Luigi.

Namco Third Party - Nightmare - I like soul calibur

Capcom Third Party - Mike Hagar - Its for the best this way.

Sega Third Party - Vyse from Skies of Arcadia - Looks cool and Skies of Arcadia was one of the first sega games on GameCube.

Square Third Party - Geno - He’s due.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Not sure about how he'd be as a fighter but the Chrom hate is kinda overblown in Smash circles. Chrom is a bit more plain than other Awakening characters, but he has to be in order to round them out. He can be funny at times, and isn't as boring as Marth, Roy or Eliwood are in their own games, nor is he an insufferable human doormat like Corrin.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Not sure about how he'd be as a fighter but the Chrom hate is kinda overblown in Smash circles. Chrom is a bit more plain than other Awakening characters. but he has to be in order to round them out. He can be funny at times, and isn't as boring as Marth, Roy or Eliwood are in their own games, nor is he an insufferable human doormat like Corrin.
I'm definitely bias on this since Eliwood's game got me into the FE series and Chrom's got me out of it, but I found I cared about Eliwood throughout the campaign both as a character and as a unit. Chrom was always my least favorite character during the campaign and as a unit he felt too good to me.

(I know that's a weird complaint, but instead of focusing protecting him I just treated him like any other strong unit, which defeats the point of the Lord unit strategy wise)

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm definitely bias on this since Eliwood's game got me into the FE series and Chrom's got me out of it, but I found I cared about Eliwood throughout the campaign both as a character and as a unit. Chrom was always my least favorite character during the campaign and as a unit he felt too good to me.

(I know that's a weird complaint, but instead of focusing protecting him I just treated him like any other strong unit, which defeats the point of the Lord unit strategy wise)
Stat-wise Chrom doesn't feel like a typical Lord glass cannon type unit but Awakening's balance in general is kinda bad.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I find the lords basically the same to be fair. As logo as they have a cool design I'm all for adding them in like Eliwood.

Lyn genuinely needs to be in he game though she's actually unique

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Seriously though, we ought to prepare for scenarios like these (K. Rool being an assist trophy, Chrom still being in Robin's final smash, etc.) to happen or else we're going to be sorely disappointed.
So true. When Lyn and Krystal ended up as ATs, that was my wake up call that no matter how popular a character is, how much sense their inclusion would make, or how much Sakurai wanted that character in Smash, it could mean little to nothing in the end, and characters we were so sure would be a shoo in, might not make it. We should prepare ourselves just in case the worst ends up happening.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
So if everyone series had one new representative who would you choose and why? (obviously some couldn't have a new representative but the ones that can)
sure i can do this.

Mario Bros Series - Birdo. Because Birdo is cool.

Donkey Kong Series: Funky kong I guess? he's cool and i like him more than most other dk characters.

Wario Series - Mona??? I don't have much experience w/ wario characters.

Game and Watch Series - Abstain, no knowledge of Game and watch characters.

Punch Out Series - bear hugger (or whatever his name is) cuz canadian pride!!. in actuality i don't really have an opinion.

Zelda Series - Skull kid! Best zelda game needs more representation than just a stage!

Metroid Series - I have no idea. One of the hunters from metroid prime hunters? Haven't played a metroid game since prime.

Kid Icarus Series - would like Magnus. Viridi, Hades, Medusa or Phospora would be cool too!

Fire Emblem Series - Micaiah/Black Knight/Hector.

Duck Hunt Series - no clue.

Kirby Series - Bandana Dee!! I'd also accept Magolor but i'd be kinda sad about it.

Star fox Series - I'm the only person who likes Panther so him. I expect that if we're getting a new star fox character it'll be leon or pigma i guess.

Pokémon Series - Gardevoir because they're cool. if the best chance is a gen 7 pokemon then incineroar because he's the best starter.

Mother Series - Would very much like the masked man! But would accept porky too.

F - Zero Series - No idea, never played an F-Zero game in my life.

Animal Crossing Series - Isabelle because she's the only real option i guess? Also she's cool, but i'd like it if isabelle gets in,her alternate costumes are all the top animal crossing fan favourite villagers.

Pikmin Series - no idea. Louie I guess?

Wii Fit Series - Wii fit board for top tier.

Xenoblade Series - Never played the xenoblade series but from what i've seen I would like Reyn or Sharla.

Namco Third Party - A soul calibur character would be very nice for me. Ivy would be my #1 pick but that's a pipe dream's pipe dream. Siegfried or Nightmare is most likely. Maybe Mitsurugi?

Capcom Third Party - Amaterasu!! More animal fighters!!

Sega Third Party - no idea.

Square Third Party - Geno would be nice, But Crono would be really cool too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not sure about how he'd be as a fighter but the Chrom hate is kinda overblown in Smash circles. Chrom is a bit more plain than other Awakening characters, but he has to be in order to round them out. He can be funny at times, and isn't as boring as Marth, Roy or Eliwood are in their own games, nor is he an insufferable human doormat like Corrin.
No need to be like that to Marth, man. Shadow Dragon honestly made him into a fantastic and well-rounded character.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
No need to be like that to Marth, man. Shadow Dragon honestly made him into a fantastic and well-rounded character.
I'm not saying I don't like Marth, but overall he mostly gets a pass where other characters don't for being the defacto Fire Emblem lord. And yeah Shadow Dragon's localization did help make a very dry story a lot more colorful with some genuinely good dialogue.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, no matter your Fire Emblem character, at least they won't be the plot destroying void that is Ephraim.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Where's all this talk about Chrom coming from? Did some reputable leak about Chrom get put out?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, with my browser locking up every few minutes, it being late, and me having just finished watching a TFS archived Stream; I think it's a good point for me to go to bed.

Hopefully nothing super insane happens while I slumber. :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No need to be mean to Ephraim, man.
Eh if people can be mean to better written characters (and Corrin I guess ) I can be mean to the character that turned the protagonist he was supposed to share the game with into a pointless character.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, with my browser locking up every few minutes, it being late, and me having just finished watching a TFS archived Stream; I think it's a good point for me to go to bed.

Hopefully nothing super insane happens while I slumber. :laugh:
Good night, I'll take on the madness in your place, at least for an hour or two.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
I will say Eliwood and Lyndis were my personal faves alongside Ike. Marth and Roy though are very dull.

D

Deleted member 269706

The fire emblem lords have always been amongst the most bland characters in their games. Except falcon of course, he's my favorite fire emblem character

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Eh if people can be mean to better written characters (and Corrin I guess ) I can be mean to the character that turned the protagonist he was supposed to share the game with into a pointless character.
I never got this feeling from FE8. If it's true for anyone in FE it's true for Ike.

....erm, back to Smash. I just finished H'aanit's story in Octopath, so H'aanit for Smash I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What do you guys think about Phoenix Wright in smash?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Here's my first crack at this, may update it later.

Everyone who isn't confirmed yet is listed after Ridley, including who I think could be Echo Fighters of already existing characters so they're easier to see, despite Nintendo's insistence on ordering numbering them with their base character. Order is entirely new Nintendo characters, Echo Fighters, then new third party characters. I will list why I think they're getting in, and what my person opinion is. And yes, I will admit that this is me mostly playing things safe.

View attachment 154999

Nintendo originals;

Ashley: WarioWare's breakout character who Nintendo loves and promotes a lot, had an assist trophy in 4 that we haven't seen yet and had a Mii costume as well. I'm honestly a bit surprised that they haven't announced her already alongside WarioWare Gold, but maybe timing new character announcements with game releases was a Sm4sh thing.

King K. Rool: Like Ridley, he's been a highly requested Nintendo villain for years from a franchise whose main character has been in Smash since Smash 64, and apparently they renewed the copyright for him in 2015 when the roster was likely finalized. Also, he had a Mii costume. He's one who I've personally wanted despite not having ever played DKC or DK64.

Bandana Waddle Dee: Being the 4th main character of Masahiro Sakurai's first baby really helps your chances. Also, that one guy (I apologize for forgetting his name) who said that Daisy was going to be playable in SSBU because of how her amiibo was coded did say that Bandana Waddle Dee's amiibo is coded the same way, which is something that I personally think is a legit leak. I can't complain about a spear user getting in.

Decidueye: Greninja 2.0, a very popular starter Pokémon from the newest games who was likely chosen because he looks cool and can have a unique fighting style, which may be somewhat improvised and based on concept art. I have yet to play Sun and Moon, but I liked Greninja so I think that this is a good follow up choice.

Mach Rider: My reasoning for this is entirely based on PapaGenos' video on the subject, so I'll just leave the link. His theme is badass enough to warrant me wanting him to be in the game.

Elma: I know nothing about Xenoblade, except that it's popular enough to have a second character from one of the sequels, and everybody is saying that Elma is the most likely choice. I have no real opinion on this since I know nothing about Xeno anything.

Geno: (Yes I know he's owned by Square, but his only proper game appearance is in Super Mario RPG so he's very close to being Nintendo even though they don't own him) Sakurai has wanted to use him for years, he got a Mii costume after Cloud was added to 4, and Bowser's video has a remix of his fight theme from Super Mario RPG, so it seems like Geno may finally get his turn in Smash. I need to finish SMRPG some time, but I do remember him being awesome, so I'm very excited for him having a very good chance of getting in.

Echo Fighters;

Ninten: Cloning somebody who already has a semi-clone seems a bit overkill, but the first installment in the Mother trilogy getting a representative makes a ton of sense, especially now that there's an official international release of the first game. I'd be cool with it.

Dark Samus: I'm in the camp of people who think that her assist trophy not being shown yet and Samus' alt based on Dark Samus being gone means something, cliche I know. I have no problem with this.

Dixie Kong: Part of the forbidden 7 whose return would make sense, and Diddy Kong's tail attack being removed is highly suspicious. Since she was supposed to fight with Diddy in the style of the Ice Climbers in Brawl, her being an Echo Fighter makes sense, but I can see her being a semi clone. I'd be totally cool with somebody who was previously cut finally getting in.

Chrom: Main character of the game that gave Fire Emblem new life, it still very popular despite Robin making it in instead of him, and we have yet to see Robin's final smash, and he had a Mii costume. He would make an easy Ike clone too. This is the only choice who I am opposed to because I'm sick of Fire Emblem overkill, but it makes a ton of sense to me so I'm not going to try and deny that.

Shadow: His assist trophy being seemingly replaced with Knuckles is rather odd, and he hasn't been shown in the background of Green Hill Zone where Knuckles used to be, so I think that he's playable this time. I really don't understand how he's different enough from Sonic to not be a clone without him using guns or something edgy like that, and give how similar their designs are, he's the perfect clone. I'm not a big Sonic fan but I'd be fine with it.

Isabelle: Assist trophy is gone, she had a Mii costume, Animal Crossing is a massive franchise that only has one character, she's been a very popular character for a while now, and Vergeben said that she's in, so this one is a closed case for me. While she could be a unique fighter, Villager already has an improved moveset that takes from a lot of elements of the series, so making another moveset for a series that's very calm and involves no fighting normally seems a bit hard. I'm friends with several people who like Animal Crossing a lot so I'd be happy.

Ken: The original fighting game clone, not including him would be a missed opportunity. It's also worth noting that download Ryu for 4 gives you a Ken trophy, so this may have been planned ahead of time. This is the Echo who I want the most, Ken is my favorite Street Fighter character (original, I know), and I'd love to be able to use him for the fire Shoryuken alone.

Original third parties:

Tails: Him being removed from the background of Green Hill Zone is really strange, and he did have a Mii costume. Given how monumental Sonic being in Smash Bros is, he deserves to bring his sidekick along, so I actually want him in a lot despite not knowing much about Sonic.

Simon Belmont: First off, I trust Vergeben, and expect Simon to be announced along with those two new Castlevania games in October near the time of the second season of the Netflix series, since Konami regretted not having a new game around the time that season 1 aired. But aside from that, Konami being involved at all with Snake and Bomberman being in the game shot Simon up to being a very likely newcomer anyway, since he has way more history with Nintendo then Snake. As a major Castlevania nerd, I want Simon in the most out of any newcomers. Bring it on.

Heihachi Mishima: Sakurai wanted to use him for the Namco character in 4 before deciding to go with Pac-Man instead (which is a smart move), and he got a Mii costume. Since they have Ryu who uses Street Fighter mechanics, adding somebody from Tekken with Tekken mechanics makes a lot of sense (after all, rage is from Tekken 6), plus it would be the perfect thing to show at EVO 2018, unless Goku is somehow in the base roster. While I'm not that big of a fan of Heihachi personally, having somebody from Tekken would be a good idea, and I would love the irony of someone from PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale being in Smash.

Rayman: Nintendo and Ubisoft are very friendly right now, and I always assumed that his trophy model in 4 was something that Ubisoft cooked up in an attempt to get him into the roster, which happened way too late. I think that he could make a nice newcomer, despite knowing nothing about his games myself.

Shovel Knight: The optimal indie choice given how much inspiration his game takes from popular NES games, also he is the first non-Nintendo character who isn't in SSB4 to get his own amiibo. I still need to get Shovel Knight, but getting anybody from an indie game would be a great idea in my book.
Chaos Powers. They Single handily Seperate Shadow from Sonic

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about Phoenix Wright in smash?
One of the characters I most want and feel is absolutely deserving of a spot. Even posted a moveset I made for him in here earlier. I know multiple people who bought DS's or 3DS's just for those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom