• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind playing as the Old Man from Breath of the Wild.

He could have the stuff Link uses in that game that he won't use in Smash like Magnesis, Cryonis, Stasis, Remote Bomb, and Paraglider.
I WOULD BE OKAY WITH THIS

I just want Breath of the Wild content in Smash Switch. The devs would be crazy not to. If this thing is going to be THE Smash for the console they better go in no holds barred.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I more see the Old Man being a mere Series Related trophy if anything. The Lynel, however, could serve as a Smash Run enemy, since its stronger variants are among the strongest standard enemies in Breath of the Wild.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can easily tell who has been avoiding spoilers for Breath of the Wild when their pick for important Breath of the Wild character is "the Old Man". :p
It's less "avoiding spoilers" and more "avoiding spoiling the game for others". :p

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
SoulCalibur 3 to 4. One normal character, one boss character no one likes, two/three guest characters (of pretty dubious fit in the SC universe), and a handful of clones.

There might be worse offenders out there, but of the fighting games I've played this is what stands out to me. 4 to 5 was also pretty bad, it added more newcomers but a lot of them were pretty meh and it cut a bunch of fan favourites.
Yeah in SCV the Incest Twins ruled the game.

It was baaaaaaaad.

Newcomers are way more important for cross overs like Smash and Capcom vs series because they're likely already established characters with fans, so the demand for them is higher. Same for fighting games based on household names like Injustice and Pokken. Everyone wants to play their favourite characters.
There's also the fact that crossover games are far less complex than more traditional endeavors (Marvel has had a 4 button scheme since 2 and reused the same assets for six games), which better accommodates massive rosters.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Toad (with Toadette and Captain Toad alts) - New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Dixie Kong - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Old Man - The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Yarn Yoshi - Yoshi's Woolly World (I can see him getting in as a semi clone)

Waddle Dee - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Decidueye - Pokemon Sun & Moon

Alph - Pikmin 3 (he needs to be his own character with Rock Pikmin)

Wandering Heroes - StreetPass Mii Plaza games, especially Find Mii

Chorus Kids - Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Chibi-Robo - Chibi-Robo Zip Lash

Inklings - Splatoon 1-2

Mike Jones - StarTropics (NES Classic Edition)

Simon Belmont - Castlevania, Simon's Quest (NES Classic Edition)

Takamaru - The Mysterious Murasame Castle (3DS Virtual Console)

Alm and/or Celica - Fire Emblem Echoes

Shovel Knight - Shovel Knight

Bomberman - Super Bomberman R

Shantae - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Shantae Half Genie Hero

Rayman - Rayman Legends

Hero - Dragon Quest 8 3DS
If you're including Simon Belmont for his NES Classic appearance why not Bill and Lance from Contra? Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon? Ryu from Ninja Gaiden? The ship from Gradius? Actually, all of those sound super cool, never mind.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If you're including Simon Belmont for his NES Classic appearance why not Bill and Lance from Contra? Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon? Ryu from Ninja Gaiden? The ship from Gradius? Actually, all of those sound super cool, never mind.
Wouldn't the Gradius ship be a bit too big for Smash? :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can I ask, what proof do we have for a Smash on Switch besides the idea that Nintendo would be stupid not to?

There's the Amiibo thing which means either there's at least one more character in the works or one out of Intelligent Systems, Square Enix and Sega insisted on giving the ROB treatment to their remaining amiibo.

And I guess there's those job listing for work on Smash 6 that went up before DLC was announced but that could be anything.

Did Sakurai tweet about getting new robot hands? That would be a big tell.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Can I ask, what proof do we have for a Smash on Switch besides the idea that Nintendo would be stupid not to?

There's the Amiibo thing which means either there's at least one more character in the works or one out of Intelligent Systems, Square Enix and Sega insisted on giving the ROB treatment to their remaining amiibo.

And I guess there's those job listing for work on Smash 6 that went up before DLC was announced but that could be anything.

We have no proof, but what we do have is the fact that Reggie mentioned that the Switch will have all of Nintendo's all-star franchises on it... right after he mentioned that Smash Bros is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so I'd say that's pretty good evidence.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

We had Serkan Toto's tweet from last year.

Obviously we've passed the point of it being a launch title as originally said, but it's still up in the air.

D

Deleted member

Whatever if the next Smash game will be a Switch port or not, I would seriously riot if this track does not return.

(But it still can't be worse than loosing my boy :4shulk:)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Whatever if the next Smash game will be a Switch port or not, I would seriously riot if this track does not return.

(But it still can't be worse than loosing my boy :4shulk:)
Frankly, the Smash 3DS / Wii U Final Destination BGM felt very underwhelming for my tastes. At least Master Hand's BGM drastically makes up for it in Smash Wii U, and I do want it to come back in the next Smash Bros. installment.

And for those who don't know what I'm saying, I'm referring to the BGM in the video below.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, what's the basic thought here? What is Smash Switch going to feature? Here's how I see it. It could be one of these 4.
  1. Melee HD - Least likely but easy to do.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Complete - A merger of all the Wii U and 3DS Smash content including Stages, Modes, and Trophies. No DLC.
  3. Super Smash Bros. for Switch - A pseudo merger of the two previous games with some stages, trophies, and modes brought over. Also with the addition of 4-5 characters veterans and newcomers as well as stages and trophies for those 4-5 characters. Will also be supported by DLC.
  4. The Next Super Smash Bros. - a Brand New from the ground up game made exclusively with the Switch in mind just like the past games were made.
So what do you guys think? Personally I think we'll get 3. Or 2 and 4 later down the line. I feel like if they do go a number 3 it'll become the Smash game for the Switch with no from the ground up game being made for it at all. Which I'd be fine with IF they treated it like a platform periodically adding new characters throughout the Switch's life cycle. Otherwise I'd hope it'd be 2 and 4 or just 4.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If we get a few new characters for a Smash for Wii U/3DS port I'd bet they would fall under at least 1 of 5 different categories.

•Veterans
•Characters who placed highly in the Fighter Ballot
•Characters who can advertise newer Nintendo games
•Characters who were originally planned, but didn't make the cut
•3rd party characters

So, what's the basic thought here? What is Smash Switch going to feature? Here's how I see it. It could be one of these 4.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Complete - A merger of all the Wii U and 3DS Smash content including Stages, Modes, and Trophies. No DLC.
  3. Super Smash Bros. for Switch - A pseudo merger of the two previous games with some stages, trophies, and modes brought over. Also with the addition of 4-5 characters veterans and newcomers as well as stages and trophies for those 4-5 characters. Will also be supported by DLC.
  4. The Next Super Smash Bros. - a Brand New from the ground up game made exclusively with the Switch in mind just like the past games were made.
So what do you guys think? Personally I think we'll get 3. Or 2 and 4 later down the line. I feel like if they do go a number 3 it'll become the Smash game for the Switch with no from the ground up game being made for it at all. Which I'd be fine with IF they treated it like a platform periodically adding new characters throughout the Switch's life cycle. Otherwise I'd hope it'd be 2 and 4 or just 4.
I'm hoping for 4, but I think we'll get 3.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I feel like they've really reached a good engine for smash games this time around (if engine is the right word to use. skeleton? foundation? you know what I mean) so I wouldn't really say they need to build it up from the ground again, only hammer out the kinks and change a few things up. That being said, I have no idea how such complex game developing works so maybe ground up is the best choice. The only thing for certain is it's gonna have to be bigger than the last.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I generally believe that there will be a Smash for the Switch although I think it will possibly be a port of the Wii U/3DS version with additional content.
I can't really agree with this, I do believe that Nintendo would more likely go the Mario Party route and bring out a new Smash game for each system, even if they don't take new creative risks.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm more inclined to go with the 3rd option although I wouldn't exactly rule out the 4th option.

I can't really agree with this, I do believe that Nintendo would more likely go the Mario Party route and bring out a new Smash game for each system, even if they don't take new creative risks.
Whilst I do agree with you that eventually a new Smash is going to happen for Switch, I still feel they could still do what I've already stated similar to how they done it for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. But I guess anything is possible.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope for either 3 or 1 followed by 4 as if it's an entirely new game we'll have to wait for years for it to be finished. Heck, even upgrading the 3DS stuff to HD and a few new characters may take an age.

If the release Melee HD in the meantime it'd help with the wait and keep the hype alive. And maybe shut up the annoying side of the fandom.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering whether it wasn't supposed to be #2 at first but they've changed it over to #3. If we're going to trust Toto's tweet there seems to be something that's changed for the new Smash to go from a launch title to a no-show a month after launch. Wouldn't be the first time a rumored "port" ended up being a sequel instead (Splatoon was the other widely-reported Wii U-to-Switch port along with Smash and Mario Kart).

D

Deleted member

How there's still not a Dixie support thread here?

Is there a problem with its latest creator?

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah the closest to what I think we'll get is 3. I just don't believe it will be supported by DLC. Though I'd love to be wrong.

And I do feel that down the line we will also get 4. Assuming the Switch is successful enough to remain on the market with 5+ years of steady content.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Think #3 is the most likely. #2 is also possible, but doesn't look really enticing for existing Wii U owners.

I'd be fine with #3 or #4 personally.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
3 seems more likely to me, kind of a Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 scenario.

It's what the rumors have been effectively pointing to, anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people don't seem to realize we could get 3 and 4.

This is honestly my best case scenario

Of course I always assume my best case scenario is impossible. Frankly, I think the chances of #4 happening depend on how fast a port would release. Late in the lifespan and a new game is dead. Relatively early and maybe it has a shot.

. . .maybe I shouldnt be so pessimistic about a concept im moderating.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah the closest to what I think we'll get is 3. I just don't believe it will be supported by DLC. Though I'd love to be wrong.

And I do feel that down the line we will also get 4. Assuming the Switch is successful enough to remain on the market with 5+ years of steady content.

dont mind me

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
^ LOL

I'm still leaning toward option 3 myself, but as far as DLC goes, I'm really not sure what to think... If they have been planning a completely new entry, and the rumoured port is also real, I would have said a mild amount of DLC would have been possible if the port had been a launch or near-launch release as it supposedly was going to be, but since we haven't heard anything official so far, it seems more likely we'd just end up with a finished product that includes whatever little bit of new content they want to put in, and then get the completely new entry much later in the Switch's life. At the same time, the thought of getting a completely new Smash late in a console's lifespan is kind of odd to me, so if the port does show up late, yet we still wind up getting DLC, I'd personally rule out option 4 at that point.

I'm still thinking about that dang fourth amiibo listing in the Smash line... This probably doesn't mean anything, but Splatoon 2 will have amiibo functionality, yet we haven't heard or seen anything about a Splatoon 2 amiibo line so far. There was, of course, an amiibo line for Splatoon 1. Do you think this adds any weight to the possibility of the fourth amiibo being an Inkling, simultaneously serving Splatoon 2 while being part of the Smash line? I feel like it's probably too early for the listing to go up if it's related to a new character since we haven't seen actual evidence of this Smash port coming into existence yet, but it's just a thought...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd just like to remind everybody that by February 3rd 2018 it will have been 2 years since the last Smash game had any development time at all. There was that tiny update that nerfed the hell out of Bayonetta but ever since, silence.

Smash Bros. games USUALLY take 2 years to develop. If the #2 and #4 idea happens they may happen within a 2, or maybe even, 1 year timespan of eachother. So, there's a little more fuel to the flame. If a BRAND NEW Smash game is happening it could be out in the next year or the next and with that we could get a port of the Wii U at the end of this year or next. What do you guys think?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd just like to remind everybody that by February 3rd 2018 it will have been 2 years since the last Smash game had any development time at all. There was that tiny update that nerfed the hell out of Bayonetta but ever since, silence.

Smash Bros. games USUALLY take 2 years to develop. If the #2 and #4 idea happens they may happen within a 2, or maybe even, 1 year timespan of eachother. So, there's a little more fuel to the flame. If a BRAND NEW Smash game is happening it could be out in the next year or the next and with that we could get a port of the Wii U at the end of this year or next. What do you guys think?
There was actually two updates post Bayo release, and the first one had a lot more balance changes than the second, it changed :4bayonetta::4bowser::4charizard::4cloud::4corrin::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4greninja::4kirby::4link::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4robinm::4samus::4sheik::4zelda: and:4zss:. Regardless though, after March 15th 2016 they should've been mostly free at that point to work on whatever they were needed to work on.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Glad to see speculation is back, I missed this general thread. I look forward to approaching this with a lot more cautious optimism than last time, as I've gotten burns from being wrong more than enough times in the past.

- - - - -

Can I request PushDustIn PushDustIn to make a cameo real quick? Now that speculation is running full-course on Smashboards again, I'd love to get your input on the top contenders this time around, especially since you're the high priest on coverage of what goes through Sakurai's mindset.

Do Spazzy and Connor frequent Smashboards much, by the way? I was hoping this thread can become a valuable resource for compiling research for future Source Gaming Character Corners. Hit me up if you guys ever do a video on Pikmin by the way, I'll gladly claim expertise over that series.

Make that three, with the third reading through the light novel now that season 2 has ended.

I'm in the exact same camp. Character costumes are precisely why I love modding, and the process of modding in itself has shown just how light of a workload creating these costumes really is, especially if all they change is textures and not models or voice lines. For the developers, I feel like character costumes are going to be the most efficient way to expand the game's content. 2 new characters, ported stages from 3DS and a few more costumes for each character is probably the highest threshold I can reach between what I'd like and what's realistic.
Hey, sorry late reply is late. NantenJex is staying at my apartment this week, so I've been pretty busy.

Top contenders? It really depends on a lot of factors.

The first, is Sakurai coming back?
This is something we discussed with NintenDaan awhile back.

Depending on that answer, it will influence what characters and how many we could get.

The second factor is if the rumor is actually valid (so far, it's not dead). The rumor states it'll be a director's cut, and featured limited new content (Ala Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

Smash hasn't been shown off yet, but with the amiibo listings, and looking at the history of Smash announcements, it seems very likely it'll be announced at E3.

With that, I think Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inklings, King K. Rool, Dragon Quest character, Takamaru and a Rhythm Heaven character are all contenders. It depends on how many characters, and who is working on it. We discussed it here with Roger's Base.

Anyway, let me know if there's any particular questions you have!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In your opinion, when would Smash be released? Would it be a Holiday release or would Nintendo hold it back to next year?

In your opinion, when would Smash be released? Would it be a Holiday release or would Nintendo hold it back to next year?
Depends on whether it's a port with some new content or a new game.

If it's a port, I can see it releasing on Christmas, but if it's a new game, I think it'll be released late next year.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Fall if port. Next spring if new game.

Smash and Mario would make Switch the killer Xmas machine.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

If I remember correctly, there was a job listing posted back in 2014 for a "Super Smash Bros. 6", which was soon afterwards removed. If they had been working on that since 2014, and it released in 2018, then it would probably have 4 years of development.

It seems that people are expecting a port because of rumours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom